Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Congratulations to those who got a place on one of the course and commiserations to those who didn't.

I hope that some of you will stick around this forum while you are completing the PGDE. It will be helpful for information and help with all aspects of teaching and you can keep in touch with others in your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Celephais

Just got my place in UCD, I'm thrilled!

I apologise if this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find a definite yay or nay anywhere: is the teaching experience that is part of the course paid or not? I would've thought it was, but just can't seem to find it spelled out in definite terms anywhere.

Cheers, and congratulations to everyone else who got their place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

It depends on the school. Some will eat the head off you if you ring. Some will send you a form to fill out. I would start with sending letters, or if possible drop them in. Then follow them up with a phone call. Unless you're known in the school they're not going to take you on on the basis of a phone call anyway.

When sending a letter should I attach a copy of my college results? Or are there any requirements needed when sending a letter to these schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Celephais wrote: »
    Just got my place in UCD, I'm thrilled!

I apologise if this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find a definite yay or nay anywhere: is the teaching experience that is part of the course paid or not? I would've thought it was, but just can't seem to find it spelled out in definite terms anywhere.

Cheers, and congratulations to everyone else who got their place!
    No, you don't get paid for teaching practice. You should get paid for classes outside of your official teaching practice classes if you get any.
    When sending a letter should I attach a copy of my college results? Or are there any requirements needed when sending a letter to these schools?

Just send your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Celephais

No, you don't get paid for teaching practice. You should get paid for classes outside of your official teaching practice classes if you get any.

Ah right cheers, looks like it'll be workin weekends so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 am.zarathustra

Hey guys,

Just so everyone knows my Trinity status only got updated about half an hour ago so I think they are rolling out the offers by course subject. Maybe keep checking if you haven't had a status update.

See all the people who got into Trinity in september!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

the maximum points you can get from your degree is 51 and yet the points for business pgde's were 52*. Absolutely everyone had to rely on either work experience or further educational qualifications to get in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 msvonage

I just found out I got Trinity so excited and have my fingers crossed for everyone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lauraSha

Hey guys,

Just so everyone knows my Trinity status only got updated about half an hour ago so I think they are rolling out the offers by course subject. Maybe keep checking if you haven't had a status update.

See all the people who got into Trinity in september!

Yep mine changed at lunch hour, I got offered Trinity as well..so happy!! Anyone else here doing Science?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lellskells

I got NUIG (it was my only choice for family reasons)but have to turn it down this year, will reapply for 2012 and hope I get it again. Congrats to you all. I do this the BBS points are very high though:eek:, I am NBBS and I have 57 points so hoping Ill be smiling again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Would it be too early to send in the Teaching Placement Details Form to UCD on Monday? :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hope to see some of you in Cork in September!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

I got Galway!! Whoop whoop...Anyone for Coppers??!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 msvonage

lauraSha wrote: »
    Yep mine changed at lunch hour, I got offered Trinity as well..so happy!! Anyone else here doing Science?? :)

I am! Biology! You? Very excited about it all now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sile87

Bit unsure what is the best way to go about contacting schools? Is it too forward to call in or is a letter first the best option? What are other's thinking of doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 purple99

Hi guys, congrats to everyone who got offered a place! I have been offered a place in Maynooth, which I am delighted about. I am qualified to teach History, but in May I will also be qualified to teach English. Is it possible for me to teach both, even though on my application I only put down History?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lawa22

Hi Purple 99, I'm finishing my dip in UCD very shortly. What we were told at the beginning of the year was that we needed two subjects, if you have a degree in both English and History by the time you start your course in sept then you can do your methodologies in both subjects and be qualified to teach them at the end of the dip. Just check the degrees out on the PAC website or give the teaching council a quick call.

Congrats to everyone who got their place. If anyone has any questions at all then please ask, I'm almost finished the dip here in UCD so will try my best to help you

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

Hey everyone. I got into Trinity and Maynooth for English, and Im delighted! I didnt get in anywhere last year, so those who didnt get in, dont lose hope! Decided that im going to take trinity, and was just wondering, like others, how to go about arranging teaching prac. Should it be in an email? letter? visit to the school??

congrats to those who got in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 teecher

greetings all and congrats to those who got their places.

I have been offered UCC for 2011 and wondering if there others who have done the pgde after many years out of college - eg. working outside of education for 14 years!!

1. Any advice to offer based on your experiences?

2. How bad are the job prospects for a French/History combination?

3. Can the pgde be considered a base qualification for lecturing (as it is described as "post primary")?

4. How are those who got pgde in last 2 years faring?

5. Should I accept course OR struggle on in mix of dead end job/dole and searching for a job with purpose?

for info Im married with 2 young kids and mortgaged!

I know - teecher is an incorrect spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mr_october

Hi all! Congrats to everyone who secured their place:) I got offered Trinity and Maynooth but think I'm going to go with the Trinity one! My main subject is Business Studies but I'm just wondering whether anyone knows if I will be able to take French as my minor subject and be fully qualified to teach both upon graduation? Thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

mr_october wrote: »
    Hi all! Congrats to everyone who secured their place:) I got offered Trinity and Maynooth but think I'm going to go with the Trinity one! My main subject is Business Studies but I'm just wondering whether anyone knows if I will be able to take French as my minor subject and be fully qualified to teach both upon graduation? Thanks:)

Well do you have French to degree level? You can take methodologies in any subject, but if you don't have them to degree level in a degree recognised by the Teaching Council, then you won't be qualified to teach it.

Well do you have French to degree level? You can take methodologies in any subject, but if you don't have them to degree level in a degree recognised by the Teaching Council, then you won't be qualified to teach it.

Ye I have a joint major in both Business and French and both are recognized by the Teaching Council. It was the fact that less emphasis is placed on the observation of the second subject during the teaching practice that was worrying me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

mr_october wrote: »
    Ye I have a joint major in both Business and French and both are recognized by the Teaching Council. It was the fact that less emphasis is placed on the observation of the second subject during the teaching practice that was worrying me. :)

If you're qualfied in both and more importantly the TC recognise both it won't be a problem.

If you're qualfied in both and more importantly the TC recognise both it won't be a problem.

Perfect! Thanks for your help:)

Hoping someone can help me out on this, I was accepted to UCC and I will be sending my CVs out to schools today in the post, and then ringing them mid-week next week, now I was on the UCC website and it says I need to enter a username and password to access the PGDE Handbook 2011, I never got a username and password?? :confused: is this only for current or alumni UCC students? please help

Hoping someone can help me out on this, I was accepted to UCC and I will be sending my CVs out to schools today in the post, and then ringing them mid-week next week, now I was on the UCC website and it says I need to enter a username and password to access the PGDE Handbook 2011, I never got a username and password?? :confused: is this only for current or alumni UCC students? please help

its okay I just read there that it wont be available until the details of the Orientation Seminar comes out in mid August :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cazhater

:confused:Hi,

I need HELP!! I got a PGDE in NUIG, currently in UCD finishing off a liberal Arts Degree- Geo and Eng.. I hear that people are looking for work exp already!?? Do I just send CVs to schools in GAlway that are on the list?? Is that the next step or am I missing out on any other important things that I must do?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cazhater

Also any one have any idea about grants or are they applicable for a PGDE??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 daydream believer

I was just wondering if someone doing the PDGE currently in NUIM or who has finished it could give me an idea of the kind of timetable i can expect from Tuesday to Thursday in college. I have a big commute and three children so I need to be organised well in advance. My subjects are English and History, I am also hoping to do French so I'm wondering if I will be required to be in college from 9-6 all day Tues, Wed and Thurs or if there are later lectures etc. Any info would be really helpful....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

teecher wrote: »

3. Can the pgde be considered a base qualification for lecturing (as it is described as "post primary")?

You don't need any teaching qualification to lecture - 'just' a PhD. In some circumstances a masters is fine, but very rare - and usually in computer type courses.

As for your combo - French jobs come up fairly often. One principal told me only Irish and French aren't horribly oversubscribed.

Advertisement