Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ciaranrock

Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone knows why under the heading fees 2011-12 the h dip has 'year 1' and 'year 2' fee? I got offered UCD yesterday, it is still definitely a one year full time course isnt it??? Im a bit worried incase they have changed it, cant think why else the information is different from last year and year 2 is mentioned....if anyone can shed light on it id really appreciate it...thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

ciaranrock wrote: »
    Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone knows why under the heading fees 2011-12 the h dip has 'year 1' and 'year 2' fee? I got offered UCD yesterday, it is still definitely a one year full time course isnt it??? Im a bit worried incase they have changed it, cant think why else the information is different from last year and year 2 is mentioned....if anyone can shed light on it id really appreciate it...thanks.

Where are you reading this fee information from? Only thing I can think of as an explanation is DCU's 2 year part-time PGDE course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

The Teaching Council are talking about making the PGDE a 2 year course but I'm pretty sure that isn't happening till 2015ish. Maybe year 2 is a standard thing they put in on all postgrad information to cover the postgrads that are 2 years in duration. The full-time PGDE in 2011-2012 is definitely 1 year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 am.zarathustra

Hey just wondering if anyone else doing a science PGDE has emailed the name they give you?

Or does anyone know why if your in the specialty you have to contact them before you set up your placement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lauraSha

msvonage wrote: »
    I am! Biology! You? Very excited about it all now!!

Aw cool, congrats!! Mine is Chemistry! Yep so excited about it now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

I'm doing science in trinity now. Don't expect a lot for your money. TP is the best way to learn.

Do you mind if I ask where you did your teaching practice, the info on the site told me to email Dr. Matthews before I sent out cv's or anything.

I am excited, mostly about the teaching practice and actually being allowed to be in charge kinda.

Do you mind if I ask where you did your teaching practice, the info on the site told me to email Dr. Matthews before I sent out cv's or anything.

I am excited, mostly about the teaching practice and actually being allowed to be in charge kinda.

I'm doing the PDE this year! I am loving the year teaching, not so much the college part! Most of it seems irrelevant?! I'm doing my TP in West Dublin - dont want to go into specifics. We organised our own TP. Maybe they want to organise TP for new entrants in a closer area?

And be excited! It's amazing. you learn so much, on TP. Just be prepared for a bit of hard work. worth it when you realise you are TEACHING those kids! (weird to say, I know) :) if u have any more questions let me know! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lauraSha

Hey just wondering if anyone else doing a science PGDE has emailed the name they give you?

Or does anyone know why if your in the specialty you have to contact them before you set up your placement!

Hi,

I am doing the Science PGDE in Trinity too, what do you mean has anyone emailed the name? I haven't received anything about the placement from Trinity yet, after I accepted my offer it showed the links about the fees etc...

Thanks for the speedy response, good to hear someone so positive about it. I am really excited about the teaching practice. I had planned to send out CVs next week but the instructions on the website said to email Dr Matthews if your going to be teaching science, maybe to ensure the schools have proper labs or something, I'm not sure.

One thing I am curious about is extracurricular. I play soccer and basketball and used to debate a lot and would like to get involved in that aspect of the school. Is that possible while your doing tp?

• Advertisement

lauraSha wrote: »
    Hi,

I am doing the Science PGDE in Trinity too, what do you mean has anyone emailed the name? I haven't received anything about the placement from Trinity yet, after I accepted my offer it showed the links about the fees etc...

In this link

http://www.tcd.ie./Education/PDEacceptanceinformation2011.phphttp://www.tcd.ie./Education/PDEacceptanceinformation2011.php

There is a recommendation on the top of the second page! I emailed him today, I assume maybe its just practical stuff he wants to explain.

One thing I am curious about is extracurricular. I play soccer and basketball and used to debate a lot and would like to get involved in that aspect of the school. Is that possible while your doing tp?

I am pretty sure that it would be a great idea to do that! you definitely should! and if something comes up it will look good! also it's great to say on your CV!! :D

I'm going to be going to UCD for the PGDE, and when I approached my TP school the first thing they said was to try to think of extra-curricular activities you would like to get involved in. Looks great for potential jobs, but also will get you more immersed in school life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BigSteeb

OK i graduated from NUIM with a Finance degree a few years back and also have a masters in Economics & Finance. ive been accepted into the pgde in galway.

my question is which subjects can i teach?! when applying i assumed as per PAC website that id be be able to teach any of the business subjects (BS, Economics & Accountany). i now realise there is a stipulation that at least 30% of the modules studied must be in the subject u want to teach. This is no problem in regards to economics because that was a large part of my course.

the problem is with the other 2 subjects. although some parts were accounting/business related its hard to argue whether this amounts to 30%. i'd like to have the option of being able to teach two subjects as i dont think having economics on its own would be enough!

Maybe other past pgde students out there with similar degrees could advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mr_october

BigSteeb wrote: »
    OK i graduated from NUIM with a Finance degree a few years back and also have a masters in Economics & Finance. ive been accepted into the pgde in galway.

my question is which subjects can i teach?! when applying i assumed as per PAC website that id be be able to teach any of the business subjects (BS, Economics & Accountany). i now realise there is a stipulation that at least 30% of the modules studied must be in the subject u want to teach. This is no problem in regards to economics because that was a large part of my course.

the problem is with the other 2 subjects. although some parts were accounting/business related its hard to argue whether this amounts to 30%. i'd like to have the option of being able to teach two subjects as i dont think having economics on its own would be enough!

Maybe other past pgde students out there with similar degrees could advise?

Hi! I had a similar query a few weeks ago when I rang the Teaching Council. Finance modules may be in some instances be considered as Accounting classes but in order to qualify for eligibility to teach Business to Leaving Cert level, you must have studied a substantial amount of Management, HRM, Marketing modules over the course of your degree. If you ring the council they will be able to tell you over the phone by going through what subjects you have studied. You will however be qualified to teach the Junior Cert course in Business Studies with Economics as your major.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sarahb82

Hey guys, I'm also doing science in Trinity, chemisty, I havent emailed them yet about the teacher placement. I assume it is to ensure that the schools have the facilities available for labs. they are probably schools with have accepted trinity students in the past. I am excited about it too now, see you all in september
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

For those trying to find a school for the year, are you emailing the principle or sending a letter by post??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

dno7239 wrote: »
    For those trying to find a school for the year, are you emailing the principle or sending a letter by post??

I was going to post my CVs off to the schools in Cork because I am living in Kerry at the moment but I have decided that it would be better to take a half day from work and drive up to cork and hand them in to the principal or secretary myself. Hopefully they will remember me better that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

I was going to post my CVs off to the schools in Cork because I am living in Kerry at the moment but I have decided that it would be better to take a half day from work and drive up to cork and hand them in to the principal or secretary myself. Hopefully they will remember me better that way.

i did that, went up to cork on friday, left my home (which is also in kerry :)) and went to multiple schools with cvs.

unfortunatly, most of the principals were not there, either away in some other county or just not available. Kinda annoying. I only met 1 deputy principal, which i was glad to meet to be honest.

so if i dont hear from someone in the next couple of days, i'll be going back up to cork with cvs to more schools. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BigSteeb

mr_october wrote: »
    Hi! I had a similar query a few weeks ago when I rang the Teaching Council. Finance modules may be in some instances be considered as Accounting classes but in order to qualify for eligibility to teach Business to Leaving Cert level, you must have studied a substantial amount of Management, HRM, Marketing modules over the course of your degree. If you ring the council they will be able to tell you over the phone by going through what subjects you have studied. You will however be qualified to teach the Junior Cert course in Business Studies with Economics as your major.

Im after calling the TC council and they were unable to confirm whether the finance modules i studied would make up the 30% i need for accountancy. they said id have to get the modules assessed to confirm whether this is the case!

feel this is a bit ridiculous as the course ive done is recognised by the teaching council and they should be able to tell me if the modules ive studied are aplicable without spending 200 quid!

kind of in limbo now as to whether to accept my offer!

• Advertisement

Backfire wrote: »
    i did that, went up to cork on friday, left my home (which is also in kerry :)) and went to multiple schools with cvs.

unfortunatly, most of the principals were not there, either away in some other county or just not available. Kinda annoying. I only met 1 deputy principal, which i was glad to meet to be honest.

so if i dont hear from someone in the next couple of days, i'll be going back up to cork with cvs to more schools. :cool:

Hopefully you will get a place, what subject do you intend to teach? I have booked a half on wednesday to go up and hopefully cover as many schools as possible, my plan was originally to post CVs on saturday and then ring the schools to confirm they have received my CV but I felt as though ringing them could annoy them. I would of gone up tomorrow but I have to get vaccinations for my backpacking trip this summer and I have an important meeting to attend in work today, busy week altogether! :(

Hopefully you will get a place, what subject do you intend to teach? I have booked a half on wednesday to go up and hopefully cover as many schools as possible, my plan was originally to post CVs on saturday and then ring the schools to confirm they have received my CV but I felt as though ringing them could annoy them. I would of gone up tomorrow but I have to get vaccinations for my backpacking trip this summer and I have an important meeting to attend in work today, busy week altogether! :(

with my degree, the only subject i will be qualified to teach at leaving cert level is biology, so Science is 1 of my subjects, along with maths.

i suppose posting cvs is the best option alright, i mean, i burned a good bit of petrol (i drive an old petrol jeep...yeah it drinks!) on my journey without the intended purpose of meeting the principals. :(

with my degree, the only subject i will be qualified to teach at leaving cert level is biology, so Science is 1 of my subjects, along with maths.

i suppose posting cvs is the best option alright, i mean, i burned a good bit of petrol (i drive an old petrol jeep...yeah it drinks!) on my journey without the intended purpose of meeting the principals. :(

Cool I did Mathematical Science so I can only teach maths but I have computer studies done also in college, dont know if that will stand to me though for teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

From Kerry as well. There is a list of numbers for schools on the UCC page are we expected to ring them or are we supposed to personally go to individual schools and hand in our cvs. I'm working at the minute so this will prove tough

Nari85 wrote: »
    From Kerry as well. There is a list of numbers for schools on the UCC page are we expected to ring them or are we supposed to personally go to individual schools and hand in our cvs. I'm working at the minute so this will prove tough

well its your choice, you can post your CV, even email, i decided to hand them in at the school, get on it as soon as you can mate.

anyway, iv got word back from a school, and iv secured my placement, so i'm happy :)

Perhaps e-mail requesting a good time to meet. Can't beat a face to face chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 smcmaths

Congratulations to everyone who got offered a place and commiserations to those who didnt. Dont give up, I didnt get an offer last year but did this year so will be with those who got UCC!

I have also secured a school for teaching practice, I would say contact schools as soon as possible. Hope to see a few of ye in September. My subjects are Maths and Geography.

well its your choice, you can post your CV, even email, i decided to hand them in at the school, get on it as soon as you can mate.

anyway, iv got word back from a school, and iv secured my placement, so i'm happy :)

I'm handing my CVs in tomorrow, I didnt realise they got back so quickly, i hope it isn't a first come first serve basis kind of thing, I just hope I'm not too late. Congrats on the position!

Is tomorrow too late to hand CVs into Cork schools? Kinda worried at the moment that I'm too late, i have tomorrow off from work and it was the only time I could get off this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

Is tomorrow too late to hand CVs into Cork schools? Kinda worried at the moment that I'm too late, i have tomorrow off from work and it was the only time I could get off this week.
    I rang a lot of the schools that were close to the college yesterday, most of them said either email or send your cv plus cover letter, I did get an interview with one school on Thursday so hopefully that works out. Good luck anyway

Advertisement