Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Some schools don't look at the taking on of dips until May/June. Also the fact that some teachers may be getting let go in certain schools with redeployment will effect timetabling so they won't know about dips until that is sorted.
    dory wrote:
    There's always the ones that are a bit further out, or seen as 'rougher' schools that no one will be applying to.

In my opinion, as someone who has done their tp in probably what is a "rough" school, I have found it far more beneficial to me when I talk to people who did it in private schools. I hear people becoming angry and shocked when a kid doesn't have a pen in class and how to deal with it. On the other side of the coin I've had kids doing things I wouldn't even publish on this site. I have learnt a lot more than someone in a place like that would. I'm sure even private schools will have tough groups but really what you are seeing in those schools is not representative of education in Ireland. Outside Dublin you don't get many of those schools and its much more of a mixed bag.

What I am trying to say is don't aspire to get into a school thats top of the league tables. You want to experience as much as you can in this year and be able to deal with a variety of situations.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

dory wrote: »
    He definitely hasn't let it too late. The offers have been out just 12 days. He'll just have to go look for more schools. There's always the ones that are a bit further out, or seen as 'rougher' schools that no one will be applying to.

Thanks guys, I think he just got a shock because he wasn't expecting to hear a no so quickly. He's coached sports in a real variety of schools so would be happy to go anywhere I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭roe_cat

A question for people looking for teacher placements - are guys more likely to go for boys' schools and female teachers for girls'? Just noticed that I was avoiding applying to a lot of single-sex boys' schools without really giving it much thought.
    Don't actually have any problem teaching in a boys' school - guess maybe I was just going for places similar to the school I went to.
    Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dimples06

So the secondary school I asked about teaching practice said it was no problem to do it there. So what do I do now? Wait until I get more info from the colleges and then go and sort out what classes I take and what part of the course to cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Celephais

dimples06 wrote: »
    So the secondary school I asked about teaching practice said it was no problem to do it there. So what do I do now? Wait until I get more info from the colleges and then go and sort out what classes I take and what part of the course to cover?

Yeah, forms will be sent out sometime in early May from what I've gathered. The school will have to sign one form to confirm that you have your teaching placement there. As for particulars with classes and all that, that's between you and the principal. Most schools should have a good idea of what's required as part of the PGDE and will work out things with you once they have their own timetables for this September sorted out.

But for now its playing the waiting game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 msvonage

http://www.tcd.ie./Education/PDEacceptanceinformation2011.phphttp://www.tcd.ie./Education/PDEacceptanceinformation2011.php

There is a recommendation on the top of the second page! I emailed him today, I assume maybe its just practical stuff he wants to explain.[/QUOTE]

Hey I just wondered if you have this form downloaded or anything, when I click on the link its broken! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 msvonage

Anyone doing Biology in Trinity? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 katg27

hi everyone, a massive congrats on being accepted into your courses. I will be going to NUIG this september, am excited and a bit nervous, am leaving my job to do this with no previous teaching experience..hopefully me leap of faith will be worth it!! would love to hear from anyone in the same position or heading to NUIG!!! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

I'm looking for information about H-dip's in UCC. I am currently in 2nd year studying English and History. I have sustained a 2:1 average in both subjects this year and was wondering where I apply for H-dip's? I would like to pursue a teaching career in History.

I was under the impression I apply in 3rd year but my cousin (who is a teacher and applied in 3rd year) told me many of her competitors had applied in 2nd year and were chosen over her because their names had been in the system a year longer than hers had, which is why she got her H-dip after a year out of college.

I plan to stay in education so whether I get the H-dip or not I'll apply for Masters also....I'd just like a little help or information if anybody has any.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was under the impression I apply in 3rd year but my cousin (who is a teacher and applied in 3rd year) told me many of her competitors had applied in 2nd year and were chosen over her because their names had been in the system a year longer than hers had, which is why she got her H-dip after a year out of college.

Tbh your cousin has either been grossly misinformed or is lying to you. You can apply through www.pac.ie using your 2nd year results. You closing date is in December so if you are using your 2nd year results you apply in December of 3rd year. Obviously you have to actually get your degree but they use the latest results you have to decide whether you're in or not. If you apply after you have received your 3rd year results then they decide using those results. That brings me to why your cousin is misinformed. If you apply in using your 2nd year results (and not in 2nd year) and you are unsuccessful your name is not kept in the system for you to be offered a place the following year. You apply again the following year and, if you wish, keep applying until you get a place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Keyann

Hi guys, hope someone can give me some advice. I have been offered the HDip this year and I really want to do it. My degree is BA degree is History and Legal Science, therefore i will only have one teaching subject, i.e. History.

I was wondering if people think me crazy for doing the HDip when I only have history as a teaching subject. I know teaching is what I really want to do. I did pursue the legal route for awhile and have a law degree, Masters in Law and upcoming legal publication however I would love to teach and know it is what I want to do.

I also did Sociology and Politics and Economics in first year at college and therefore was wondering what the chances would be of teaching CSPE and/or business studies up to Junior Cert? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is just I want to apply to schools for a placement and afraid that I will be refused a placement, as the school might not be able to provide me with enough teaching hours in history alone. I believe that your teaching hours during placement have to be made up of your degree subjects. Has anyone been in a similar position or can anyone shed some light on this for me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

Keyann wrote: »
    Hi guys, hope someone can give me some advice. I have been offered the HDip this year and I really want to do it. My degree is BA degree is History and Legal Science, therefore i will only have one teaching subject, i.e. History.

I was wondering if people think me crazy for doing the HDip when I only have history as a teaching subject. I know teaching is what I really want to do. I did pursue the legal route for awhile and have a law degree, Masters in Law and upcoming legal publication however I would love to teach and know it is what I want to do.

I also did Sociology and Politics and Economics in first year at college and therefore was wondering what the chances would be of teaching CSPE and/or business studies up to Junior Cert? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is just I want to apply to schools for a placement and afraid that I will be refused a placement, as the school might not be able to provide me with enough teaching hours in history alone. I believe that your teaching hours during placement have to be made up of your degree subjects. Has anyone been in a similar position or can anyone shed some light on this for me. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Bit worried myself with the same thing, my subjects are Geog and Economics and apparently the number for Economics are dropping rapidly so will look for CSPE with my soc and pol too! You would stand a good chance of getting CSPE hours with legal science too. I would take it but thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

rodgered wrote: »
    Bit worried myself with the same thing, my subjects are Geog and Economics and apparently the number for Economics are dropping rapidly so will look for CSPE with my soc and pol too! You would stand a good chance of getting CSPE hours with legal science too. I would take it but thats just my opinion.

Being qualified to teach Economics up to Leaving Cert also confers being qualified to teach Business Studies up to Junior Cert, if that's any consolation. Although Business is one of the subjects that has an oversupply of teachers at the minute it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lellskells

Can I just advise you all here to check with the Teaching Council exactly what subjects you are qualified to teach. My degree was on the list and the two subjects listed were Ag science and Biology. I queried with them anyway and they told me I could only teach Ag science, asked for my transcripts and said I did not have enough modules for Biology (Biology is all over my transcripts!!), long story but after a short but aggressive campaign and after the TC looking at my scripts 'for a second time' I was approved. Dont be caught out with a PGDE at the end and not be approved to teach the subjects you thought you could. Good luck to you all this year, I got the dip but will do it next year instead...that too is another long story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Two tips on this. Can't give too much information for fear of being identified. Used to lecture on the Dip, might be going back. Firstly, apply asap to schools, I teach at the moment, we've had LOADS of applications, all of ours are interviewed and most turned away. Secondly, do not think applying to a so-called, 'better,' school is doing yourself any favours. Disadvantaged schools give you a tougher time during the Dip/PGDE but also generally a lot more subbing as higher absenteeism and also far better for interview purposes as you've loads more to talk about. None of the teachers employed in our school over the past few years were from hugely academic schools (PGDE-wise that is) as we wanted them well-capable and able for anything thrown (literally!) at them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 UCCScience

Hi!
    Has anyone ever done their TP through Irish? Ive got a placement in a Gaelcolaiste teaching science/maths but now really starting to panic about the thoughts of teaching as gaeilge as I'm not a native speaker or anything and have absolutely no teaching experience!!!!

Anyone have advice for me?? Ive a few other TP offers and don't want to refuse them just yet! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

UCCScience wrote: »
    Hi!
    Has anyone ever done their TP through Irish? Ive got a placement in a Gaelcolaiste teaching science/maths but now really starting to panic about the thoughts of teaching as gaeilge as I'm not a native speaker or anything and have absolutely no teaching experience!!!!

Anyone have advice for me?? Ive a few other TP offers and don't want to refuse them just yet! :)

I'm doing mine in a Gaelscoil next year. I'm reading papers/watching TG4/listening to RnaG - basically anything to keep up my level of Irish (as I live abroad right now). How is your level of Irish? I went to a Gaelscoil and very few of the teachers were native Irish speakers, maybe one or two from the whole staff. And for the most part students didn't notice the mistakes the teachers made.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nordisk celt83

In a wee bit of a pickle...

I have three subjects I can register with the teaching council, so I've no real problem in that respect. However, I get the impression they're not the most desirable in terms of securing a dip placement/permanent job.

So, my question is.... Can I take a module in a subject, like English, (which my qualifications would be suited to) and then register my other subjects with the teaching council???

Hope that makes sense... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

I have three subjects I can register with the teaching council, so I've no real problem in that respect. However, I get the impression they're not the most desirable in terms of securing a dip placement/permanent job.

So, my question is.... Can I take a module in a subject, like English, (which my qualifications would be suited to) and then register my other subjects with the teaching council???

Don't fully understand - you can only register with the TC in subjects that you are qualified to teach (i.e. have a primary degree in - one that satisfies the specific subject requirements)

Do you mean can you take a subject methodology for your PGDE in a subject that you don't have in your degree?

dory wrote: »
    I'm doing mine in a Gaelscoil next year. I'm reading papers/watching TG4/listening to RnaG - basically anything to keep up my level of Irish (as I live abroad right now). How is your level of Irish? I went to a Gaelscoil and very few of the teachers were native Irish speakers, maybe one or two from the whole staff. And for the most part students didn't notice the mistakes the teachers made.

I had fluent Irish when I was in school but that was 8 years ago, haven't spoken since then, (I did all my schooling through English just always had a passion for the language) I did 2 interviews last week with the principal of the school and he was very impressed with my level of Irish and said he wouldn't have offered me the job if he wasn't happy with it but I'm just nervous more than anything! getting up infront of a class for the first time is one time, but in my 2nd language is another thing! :)

here's hoping a group of 12 and 13 year olds won't have THAT good a level to notice my mistakes... and it's 5 months away I suppose to top up and get ready! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Do you mean can you do your dip placement teaching English but register for whatever your other subjects are? Probably not, I can't imagine a school wanting to take a dip student for a subject they are not qualified in.

What are your subjects? You can only register what you are qualified in and I'd imagine by extension of that, you should be looking for teaching practice placement in those subjects also.

As far as I know you can still teach all 3 subjects even if you only do 2 of them in the PGDE. I also have 3 subjects to teach and I'm just doing the 2 that I think are most employable as modules for the PGDE and then will still be able to teach the other subject because the teaching council recognise it.

Do you mean can you take a subject methodology for your PGDE in a subject that you don't have in your degree?

Yes, that's what I'm asking... I know of several people who have taken a methodology in a subject (with good employment prospects) they don't have a degree in, and then they subsequently register the subjects they have their degree in with the teaching council.

My subjects are History, Classical Studies and CSPE/SPHE.

Thanks for all the responses btw!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes, that's what I'm asking... I know of several people who have taken a methodology in a subject (with good employment prospects) they don't have a degree in, and then they subsequently register the subjects they have their degree in with the teaching council.

My subjects are History, Classical Studies and CSPE/SPHE.

But what is the benefit of that? You still won't be qualified in English and won't get called for any interviews for English jobs.

But what is the benefit of that? You still won't be qualified in English and won't get called for any interviews for English jobs.

The benefit is getting a placement for the dip, which is the primary objective right now. I may not use the qualifaction for secondary school teaching in the future, but for other purposes!!!

Also, I know of a few people who are employed to teach subjects they did their dip in, but they haven't got a degree in.

Maybe it's an unspoken mispractice, but it happens.

Anyway, the question remains... Can you take a methodology module in a subject you're not officially qualified in??? (I know people who have, but don't know if it's above board or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Hi
    I'm doing the pgde at present( nearly finished:) . There are people on the course that only have one degree subject or their second wasn't taken for 3 years or their 2nd degree subject isn't taught in the teach practice school but they have to take two subject methodologies for the pgde so they do the methodology for another subject e.g CSPE . When it comes tp registering with the teaching council they'll only be allowed to register for their degree subject(s) that they did for the 3 years. Hope that makes sense:)

• Advertisement

Yes it does, thanks!!!

I have to wonder though, will there be a big purge on all these teachers taking the CSPE methodology module when Politics and Society is brought on board...

Advertisement