Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Hey guys -

This might be a stupid question, but if you do the PGDE in UCD is one subject of greater value than the other? As in, do you major in one and minor in the other?

I've gotten this question from a few schools that I've called about teaching practice, and instinctively went with one subject over the other.

When we register in August do we choose a subject which holds greater importance over the second subject?

Confused!!!!

Also - how's everyone getting on with teaching placements? :)

Yes, UCD operate a Major/Minor subject methodology system - you choose one subject as your first methodology, which involves a higher amount of required class teaching time (5 classes a week) and your minor only involves a required minimum of 2 classes a week. Though keep in mind, which subject you choose as your first or second methodology has no bearing on your qualification :)

You'll find all the info here: http://www.ucd.ie/education/graduateprogrammes/taughtprogrammes/postgraduatediplomaineducationpgde/howtoapply,13201,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cazhater

katg27 wrote: »
    Hi All, was wondering does anyone have any suggested reading before September, feel i should be getting a head start so i'm not completely thrown in the deep end!! :D
    Anyone goin to NUIG, would be great to get to know some faces before Sept!

Im going to NUIG!!! :) However I dont have a clue of any sugguested reading, but over the summer im hoping to get started on something. We should be getting some time tables or modules from the college soon!

Do you have your T/P sorted?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I went back to my old secondary for my TP. From what I've been hearing it's the easiest way, but obviously not possible for some people because of location.

If anyone going to UCC is looking for accommodation let me know! I have two rooms to rent, would be nice to live with some people on the course (so I can copy your homework :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shakasauras

Thanks Unlucky Again... that makes sense.

So, in terms of getting a teaching placement, I must decide now what my first special methods subject is regardless of timetableing which we don't find out until September...?

Why, oh why do universities make this crap so difficult!!!! :confused:

Thanks Unlucky Again... that makes sense.

So, in terms of getting a teaching placement, I must decide now what my first special methods subject is regardless of timetableing which we don't find out until September...?

Why, oh why do universities make this crap so difficult!!!! :confused:

Well I suppose if the school are able to offer you either of your subjects as your first special methods, then the choice is up to you. I didn't have a choice due to timetable restrictions (I went back to my old secondary school), but you might be able to choose either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Mr.SlumDuck

Hi guys,

I did a BA of Arts in Classics and Geog in UCD. This year I am doing the H.Dip in psychotherapy part time in DBS. I want to get into secondary school teaching. Can anyone tell me the fastest way forward in the Dublin area to achieve this?

Hi guys,

I did a BA of Arts in Classics and Geog in UCD. This year I am doing the H.Dip in psychotherapy part time in DBS. I want to get into secondary school teaching. Can anyone tell me the fastest way forward in the Dublin area to achieve this?

To get into secondary teaching you need a primary degree with at least one curriculum subject that satisfies the requirements of the Teaching Council, and a PGDE (formerly H.Dip). While a B.A degree is the norm, check with the Teaching Council that your degree is eligible, the reason being that geography has special modular requirements in order to be eligible. You'll find this information on their website.

If it is eligible, you then need to apply to the PAC for the PGDE in one of the universities. UCD and Trinity run a one-year, full time course, and DCU run a two-year, part time course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

dory wrote: »
    I went back to my old secondary for my TP. From what I've been hearing it's the easiest way, but obviously not possible for some people because of location.

If anyone going to UCC is looking for accommodation let me know! I have two rooms to rent, would be nice to live with some people on the course (so I can copy your homework :P )

Hi dory, I will be going to UCC in Sep for the PGDE, where is your accommodation in cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 msvonage

Hey guys, I got Biology in trinity and just this week I secured my teaching placement, does anyone else have their teaching placement yet and do we have to do anything else before term begins!?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

Has anyone recieved anything from UCC yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shakasauras

Thanks for the help Unlucky Again.

I secured my teaching placement today... phew, what a relief! Really thrilled with my school too :D

Anyone going to UCD what else do we need to do? Sit and wait for forms? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

Nari85 wrote: »
    Has anyone recieved anything from UCC yet?

I received a Garda Vetting form in the post today from NUIG, this has to be back by the 20th of May. I presume the other colleges will be sending their forms out around now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 setlikejelly

I am wondering if I will get a teaching position with only one subject registered with the teachers council. My subject is Biology. I am thinking of picking either chemistry or maths as my second subject for the PGDE. But which one??
    I am only starting the PGDE in NUIG in September and am worried about not been employable???

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CFC4lyfe

By doing the PDGE in lets say NUIG for example and having gotten a degree in English/Irish (not sure which one I'm doing yet) and History what would I need to do to get a job in Canada/England/Scotland? All help appreciated.:D Also, how do I go about living there? For example, how long before I'd need to stop applying for a visa if you understand?

Thanks for the help Unlucky Again.

I secured my teaching placement today... phew, what a relief! Really thrilled with my school too :D

Anyone going to UCD what else do we need to do? Sit and wait for forms? :confused:

I'm going to UCD, the university told me forms would be sent out in May. Haven't received anything yet though :rolleyes: Let me know if you receive anything!

I am wondering if I will get a teaching position with only one subject registered with the teachers council. My subject is Biology. I am thinking of picking either chemistry or maths as my second subject for the PGDE. But which one??
    I am only starting the PGDE in NUIG in September and am worried about not been employable???

Well according to the Teaching Council's subject-specific criteria, recognition to teach Biology to the highest level also confers recognition to teach Science at Junior Cert level. So you would have that also.

Well according to the Teaching Council's subject-specific criteria, recognition to teach Biology to the highest level also confers recognition to teach Science at Junior Cert level. So you would have that also.
    Yeah thanks for the reply. I got forms from nuig yesterday. Hopefully the biology and jc science will be enough to get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 katg27

cazhater wrote: »
    Im going to NUIG!!! :) However I dont have a clue of any sugguested reading, but over the summer im hoping to get started on something. We should be getting some time tables or modules from the college soon!

Do you have your T/P sorted?

hello cazhater..am goin to NUIG too!! keep hearing its very tough and there was alot of teething problems last year but hopefully they'll be sorted this year!! :D
    Got my teaching placement yesterday am delighted and the school seems great!! I hope we get something soon..am goin to start going over the curriculum now and planning some lessons! :D exciting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 katg27

yeah i have been thinking the same thing, my main subject is biology..i only did chem and maths till 2nd year in college and that was 8 years ago so decided to stick with what i know best, think this year is gonna be stressful enough without having to re-learn an entire subject..but thats just me!! I think the job situation isnt great but hey who knows what will happen next year!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭roe_cat

Do most people have their teaching placements organised? I've still heard nothing -hoping to get into my old school but they say they haven't started looking at next year's timetables yet.
    Any suggestions of schools to apply to in south dublin that might be still taking applications?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 ed3

katg27 wrote: »
    hello cazhater..am goin to NUIG too!! keep hearing its very tough and there was alot of teething problems last year but hopefully they'll be sorted this year!! :D
    Got my teaching placement yesterday am delighted and the school seems great!! I hope we get something soon..am goin to start going over the curriculum now and planning some lessons! :D exciting!!

hey im just finishing up on the PGDE in NUIG at the moment (finish thurs!!)
    It has been a busy year, but i do not think it was anyway near as busy as many people said it would be. I recommend really staying on top of your assignments, get them in early and start on the next one!

I picked Biology and Chemistry for my subjects, but my degree only recognised Biology as my teaching subject. When doing a Science subject on the course you will spend your time with the other science students as well as all the chem/phy/biol students do a science methodology.

There were HUGE issues this year on the course....the organisation was unbelievably poor and the head of the course changes hand 3 times during the year! We still are awaiting results from assignments handed up at the start of Feb!! I believe that Mary Fleming is back running the show so the coming year will be extremely organised!

Some people didnt have their teaching practice sorted when they arrived in sept so dont worry about it if you cannot get anything.

Oh and by the way you will be sick of the word "Reflection" by the end of the course :):):)

Best of luck to all!!!

Hi Ed3 sorry about all the questions but i was just wondering how the TP went for you. Was it easy to get all the hours done? What classes did you teach? I am doing biology and hope to get jc science. Also want to take chemistry as my second subject, but the school doesn't offer it on it's only. They offer p+c as a joint subject. Or do you know if many people take biology and maths as their subject. Thanks and help would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 EmmaJane

Hi guys, I'm going to NUIG this September, does anyone have any idea when the timetable will be out? Or what it was like this year? Thinking of commuting but depends on how many days we're in each week etc. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 postgrad89

EmmaJane wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm going to NUIG this September, does anyone have any idea when the timetable will be out? Or what it was like this year? Thinking of commuting but depends on how many days we're in each week etc. Thanks.

hey im finished the pgde this thurs 2, cant wait :) last yr the timetable wasnt out until late august but id say it will b similar to this years just type it in2 google. the timetable was ok this year we were off fridays and mostly only had 2 be in at about 4 in the evening until 5 or 6, depending on methodologies. there is only approx 2-3 hours lectures every day, it wasnt too bad. if ur teaching practice is in galway though i wouldnt recommend commuting from anywhere else u will be wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ed3

Hi Ed3 sorry about all the questions but i was just wondering how the TP went for you. Was it easy to get all the hours done? What classes did you teach? I am doing biology and hope to get jc science. Also want to take chemistry as my second subject, but the school doesn't offer it on it's only. They offer p+c as a joint subject. Or do you know if many people take biology and maths as their subject. Thanks and help would be great.

Hey setlikejelly,
    TP was great, i really enjoyed it and i was extremely anxious about it as i can be very shy. We completed micro teaching at the very beginning of the course where we were in groups of 7 and thought a class of 6th class students a topic of our choice for 50 mins. This was a great experience especially as i had not completed any teaching before....so when you have to do this....don't panic! it really was a good learning experience!

I had 14 classes a week on TP and it was extremely manageable, i even got some payed subbing most of the weeks i was in the school. But really keep on top of lesson plans and weekly essays that have to be done! that is my BIG advise for TP....keep on top of things and you will be fine!

I had 1st year science, 2nd year science and 4th year biology.
    If your degree is recognised for 2 subjects you have to do the 2 subjects on your TP. My degree only recognised 1 (biology) so i only taught biology and of course junior cert science (as i can teach that as well with my degree). you will have to teach junior cert science when on TP as i doubt you will get a teacher to give up all their Biology classes in a week to you! junior cert science really opens your eyes to what 12/13 year olds are like nowadays!!

I took chemistry as my second subject on the pgde BUT i didnt complete it on TP as the teaching council does not recognise my degree for it. So if you are in the same boat as me (which i think you are) you only have biology as your subject recognised??? then you can take chemistry as your second subject just for credits purposes for the course and will not have to teach it on TP.

When you get on the course you will see that people take subjects that they are not recognised to teach, so maths would be perfect! A friend of mine took geography as an extra subject because she had an interest in it!!!!

Any other questions just ask....seriously!! if i can be of any help just let me know :)

now back to my final two assignments.........:(

God i hope all that made sense!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 EmmaJane

postgrad89 wrote: »
    hey im finished the pgde this thurs 2, cant wait :) last yr the timetable wasnt out until late august but id say it will b similar to this years just type it in2 google. the timetable was ok this year we were off fridays and mostly only had 2 be in at about 4 in the evening until 5 or 6, depending on methodologies. there is only approx 2-3 hours lectures every day, it wasnt too bad. if ur teaching practice is in galway though i wouldnt recommend commuting from anywhere else u will be wrecked

Hi, thanks for that, will have a look at this years. Planning to do TP at home (Clare) so just trying to avoid rent if at all possible! If I have to I'll just get somewhere for first couple months, after Christmas the longest in college is a couple weeks at a time. Do you know if there were many this year doing RE as their degree teaching subject? Think I might be in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lducd

is anybody still trying to find a school??

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

yup :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Celephais

I'm going to UCD, the university told me forms would be sent out in May. Haven't received anything yet though :rolleyes: Let me know if you receive anything!

Considering they have to be sent back to UCD by the end of May (except the TP one), I'm hoping we get them soon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lducd

oh thank god i'm not the only one, every school i've applied to seems to have filled their quota very fast, it's hard trying to find one while working and trying to not let your boss know your going back to college!! dno7239 i'll keep my fingers crossed for the both of us!! best of luck!!

Advertisement