Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ed3

Just a quick reminder that naming lecturers, particularly when talking about them in a negative light, is not allowed. Thank you.

oooppps apologies :(

end of year exhausted brain!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 msvonage

ed3 wrote: »
    hehe Ed3 is a girl :)
    I didnt head that a few heads were told off and removed from their positions....not really shocked to be honest! there are major improvements to be make in that course and firstly they need to cut back on numbers.

Didnt think the class reps did much but organise nights out and hoodies with 2011-2012 on them instead of 2010-2011!! to be honest they were far too busy to have even taken on the job!

Anna Coffey was great, she really knew her stuff and should be prob running the course!!! [SNIP]
    Finished the course this evening and have all my stuff handed in :):):)
    It is an extremely busy year...KEEP ON TOP OF ALL YOUR ASSIGNMENTS and LESSON PLANS during teaching practice and you will be fine!!

Congrats joaneire !!!

Hey Ed3, Thanks for your posts, they really helped. I was just wondering if there is anyway you can prepare yourself for TP, because like you I have no previous teaching experience at all, and I feel that this could put me at a huge disadvantage. Any help would be great!:):)

msvonage wrote: »
    Hey Ed3, Thanks for your posts, they really helped. I was just wondering if there is anyway you can prepare yourself for TP, because like you I have no previous teaching experience at all, and I feel that this could put me at a huge disadvantage. Any help would be great!:):)

You really are not starting out at a disadvantage as you have no bad habits that the other people who have teaching experience have!! you are a blank canvas that can only be improved upon :) well that was the way i looked at it nearly a year ago now!

those who have experience may have to change some of their methods in the classroom that they use in order to make an impression on their teaching practice supervisor. As i didnt have any methods or habits I found that what I learned were the correct practices for a classroom and did very well in my teaching practice as i was doing what they were looking for!

When i got offer my place at NUIG, i went out and bought the science and biology books that they were using in my TP school and also exam papers. I spent some time refreshing some topics (esp biology) before i even started the course! but you know what, i had a lot of time during TP to revise before lessons and as i was preparing resources to use in lessons i was actually learning stuff myself!!!

Remember that TP is only 1 part of the course, it is worth 150 credits out of 600 so really there is plenty of other modules that no one else will have done before so no disadvantage there!

If i can be of any more help just ask! I'm finished since yest and have the whole summer ahead to calm ye all down hahahaha

Ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 msvonage

ed3 wrote: »
    You really are not starting out at a disadvantage as you have no bad habits that the other people who have teaching experience have!! you are a blank canvas that can only be improved upon :) well that was the way i looked at it nearly a year ago now!

those who have experience may have to change some of their methods in the classroom that they use in order to make an impression on their teaching practice supervisor. As i didnt have any methods or habits I found that what I learned were the correct practices for a classroom and did very well in my teaching practice as i was doing what they were looking for!

When i got offer my place at NUIG, i went out and bought the science and biology books that they were using in my TP school and also exam papers. I spent some time refreshing some topics (esp biology) before i even started the course! but you know what, i had a lot of time during TP to revise before lessons and as i was preparing resources to use in lessons i was actually learning stuff myself!!!

Remember that TP is only 1 part of the course, it is worth 150 credits out of 600 so really there is plenty of other modules that no one else will have done before so no disadvantage there!

If i can be of any more help just ask! I'm finished since yest and have the whole summer ahead to calm ye all down hahahaha

Ed

Awh, congrats on bring finished! That really helps thanks sooo much! If i think of anything else i'll be right back to you!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ULgirl2010

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread so feel free to move mods,

I want to do a hdip once i finish my primary degree (science), but I am getting a little worried about some things I've heard. I was recently watching a program where there was 3 teachers who had just completed a dip but were saying that they were running the risk of it becoming invalid because they hadn't completed 70 consecutive days teaching within 3 years of completing the course. I cant find any information on this on the net, so I'm a little worried if there may be any other catches or clauses to the dip?
    They also said they wanted to travel but couldnt do so until they had completed these 70 days, and the thing that really worried me is that one girl mentioned that you can only teach for 26 weeks abroad, after which you earn little or no money. Now they didnt go into any details on this and again I cant find info on the net on this, and as emigrating with teaching has always been on the back of my mind, i@m slightly concerned!

If anyone has any info on this, or else a link to a website that might shed some light on it, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

ULgirl2010 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread so feel free to move mods,

I want to do a hdip once i finish my primary degree (science), but I am getting a little worried about some things I've heard. I was recently watching a program where there was 3 teachers who had just completed a dip but were saying that they were running the risk of it becoming invalid because they hadn't completed 70 consecutive days teaching within 3 years of completing the course. I cant find any information on this on the net, so I'm a little worried if there may be any other catches or clauses to the dip?
    They also said they wanted to travel but couldnt do so until they had completed these 70 days, and the thing that really worried me is that one girl mentioned that you can only teach for 26 weeks abroad, after which you earn little or no money. Now they didnt go into any details on this and again I cant find info on the net on this, and as emigrating with teaching has always been on the back of my mind, i@m slightly concerned!

If anyone has any info on this, or else a link to a website that might shed some light on it, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

What you're referring to is the period of PQE (Post-Qualified Employment). There is a requirement from the Teaching Council that those who complete their H.Dip/PGDE complete 300 hours of teaching time within 3 years of finishing their PGDE, in order to be fully qualified. You must have at least 200 hours teaching in your subjects(s) and up to 100 hours can be in a learning resource etc capacity. Until this is completed, you will only be conditionally registered with the TC as a teacher

With regards to emigration, the people you mentioned probably meant that they would not be able to teach abroad without this PQE done because they would not be fully recognised teacher. As far as I know, most European countries require that a teacher is fully recognised in the country that they trained in, in order to take up a teaching post abroad. I know that in the case of people training in England from this year onwards, they must be fully qualified in the UK (completing the UK equivalent of PQE there) if they want to return to Ireland to teach.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 postgrad89

What you're referring to is the period of PQE (Post-Qualified Employment). There is a requirement from the Teaching Council that those who complete their H.Dip/PGDE complete 300 hours of teaching time within 3 years of finishing their PGDE, in order to be fully qualified. You must have at least 200 hours teaching in your subjects(s) and up to 100 hours can be in a learning resource etc capacity. Until this is completed, you will only be conditionally registered with the TC as a teacher

Oh my god iv never heard that I'm doing a 2year masters after finishing d dip yesterday. with the way the economy is what happens if we cant make up them teaching hours? I won't have to do the dip again or anything will I? ahh ye have scared me !!

Oh my god iv never heard that I'm doing a 2year masters after finishing d dip yesterday. with the way the economy is what happens if we cant make up them teaching hours? I won't have to do the dip again or anything will I? ahh ye have scared me !![/QUOTE]

I think that if the 3 years elapses before you have your 300 hours done you can apply for an extension!
    Those rules i'm sure were developed in a time where people walked into jobs after the Dip!

I'm considering a PhD....which would be 4 years before i get into a secondary school to teach......im not worried about the 300 hours....

I think that if the 3 years elapses before you have your 300 hours done you can apply for an extension!
    Those rules i'm sure were developed in a time where people walked into jobs after the Dip!

I'm considering a PhD....which would be 4 years before i get into a secondary school to teach......im not worried about the 300 hours....[/QUOTE]

Phew, thanks :) good luck with the PhD

oh by the way, have u any idea when we actually get our results?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sabscababs

Hello, other future teachers,

Just wondering who's going to be doing the PGDE in UCD starting in August? I got the forms yesterday for TP and Garda vetting, so it's starting to feel more real now.

Also, I've read through the Trinity programme, but there doesn't seem to be a similar handbook available for UCD students, at least not before we start. Can any previous UCD PGDE graduates advise us on books they used, etc?

Congratulations to all who are taking up the year soon, and best of luck to those applying in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cotsy

Well done to all those who got accepted. I accepted a place in Maynooth. I was really looking forward to it but on Friday got a letter from my old school saying that they had filled their allocation for next year, so that's really put a downer on things, I just always had the picture in my head of doing the TP there. I didn't think that I had left it too late (sent the letter over the school's Easter hols) but I guess there are some really organised people out there! Enthusiasm levels really taken a hit but I guess I'll just have to fire off a rake of letters to other schools now.

Best of luck to all

postgrad89 wrote: »

I'm considering a PhD....which would be 4 years before i get into a secondary school to teach......im not worried about the 300 hours....

Phew, thanks :) good luck with the PhD

oh by the way, have u any idea when we actually get our results?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea when we get results!! i hear end of june and end of may eeeekkkkk but knowing the way the course was run this year prob end of july hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Going to NUIG, thats all I have too. So first things first I suppose! :)

yes your right :)
    well for UCC anyway, you arent officially registered for the course until the garda vetting process if complete.

so now...next up..?
    I think I should be getting 1). Two student information cards 2). two blank teaching timetable forms and 3). other documentation in the post soon enough.

is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Backfire wrote: »
    yes your right :)
    well for UCC anyway, you arent officially registered for the course until the garda vetting process if complete.

so now...next up..?
    I think I should be getting 1). Two student information cards 2). two blank teaching timetable forms and 3). other documentation in the post soon enough.

is this correct?

I think so, I sent off my garda vetting form last week and waiting for further documentation on the UCC course to come in the post any day now. Might not get it till later this week maybe.

I have no idea when we get results!! i hear end of june and end of may eeeekkkkk but knowing the way the course was run this year prob end of july hahaha[/QUOTE]

ya i got an email it says the first week in july :( i hate waiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rob grant

have a query guys and gals. apologies if its been dealt with somewhere else in the thread.
    have been offered a place on ucd hdip. problem is ( well the main problem ) that back in the deep recesses of time my BA subjects in ucg were history and legal science, the latter of course not being a qualifying subject. ucd have also advised me that i should choose history as my main subject on the course. apart from the fact that it will be harder to get a placement when my main subject is history im also worried about what will happen post qualification ( even leaving the economy aside )

so id love some feedback as to whether teachers can get hours in their 2nd subject even when they cant be registered in it by the teaching council. whats the situation on the ground? would really wonder whether i should do the hdip if i can only get hours subsequent to qualifying in history, rather than say english which i would also be interested in doing. i have a background in the subject (1st yr college, masters in journalism etc ) just not a BA in it.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

Hey guys,
    I have been offered the PDGE in NUIG and I was just wondering, does your TP have to take place in the one school or a few different ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

rob grant wrote: »
    would really wonder whether i should do the hdip if i can only get hours subsequent to qualifying in history, rather than say english which i would also be interested in doing. i have a background in the subject (1st yr college, masters in journalism etc ) just not a BA in it.

thanks

In terms of employment, having just History and having History and English are much the same. History and English are hugely popular subjects for teachers and I'd imagine that it's one of the biggest combinations. You would definitely not get a job as an English teacher without the proper qualifications.

golden gal wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I have been offered the PDGE in NUIG and I was just wondering, does your TP have to take place in the one school or a few different ones?

they wold realy want you to do all your tp hours in one school but they are very accommodating in the office so if u absolutely cannot find enough hours in just one schol id say they would help you out/make an exception. do try for the one school though it will be very hard to try and know all your kids if u are in different schools :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

Thanks a million!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rob grant

one wonders why ucd would make someone study a 2nd subject that they subsequently cant use because of teaching council strictures.

but then that beggers another question why they would even offer a hdip to a person who can only teach one subject.....and that a very popular one to boot. that should be factored in to the points surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Howjadoo

Hello everyone. I've been reading this thread for ages - congratulations to everybody who got a place! I just have a question for those who were accepted this year. Did many of you with a Business related degree get into the Dip?

This seems to be quite difficult - as the maximum points you can get from a degree are 51, yet BBS degrees are required to get 52!! :O

For those of you who were accepted with BBS degrees, may I ask if you did a masters and/or had many years work experience in a related field?

I'm thinking of applying but i only have 44 points for my UCD Commerce degree, so a masters AND work experience is looking like my only options for the next few years!

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply,

Kind regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tippy25

Hey All congrats on ye're Dips.

Just a question someone may be able to answer.

I didn't get mine this year, so I applied for an MA in History instead, got me conditional offer no problem should meet the 2.2 with a 2.1 in History requirement i but I will have 1 repeat in my other subject more than likely?

How will that affect my offer if at all? I know it's not very H.Dip related but thought someone here may know? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

rob grant wrote: »
    one wonders why ucd would make someone study a 2nd subject that they subsequently cant use because of teaching council strictures.

but then that beggers another question why they would even offer a hdip to a person who can only teach one subject.....and that a very popular one to boot. that should be factored in to the points surely.

They offered you the place because you applied for it. All of the information about subject eligibility is available online. They're more than happy to take €6,500 off you regardless of whether you ever step into a classroom after you teach after the dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 joaneire

They offered you the place because you applied for it. All of the information about subject eligibility is available online. They're more than happy to take €6,500 off you regardless of whether you ever step into a classroom after you teach after the dip.

You don't need to have done 2 subjects in your degree. The college allows you to make up the credits doing subjects such as school planning, career guidance, Transition Year, SPHE etc. You can also take on other methodologies as a Certificate of Achievement and this would then allow you to get an idea of what teaching that subject entails, and you can go back and do some sort of diploma course which allow you to be recognised. Be VERY careful with your degree subjects, some science graduates weren't able to get their subjects recognised by the teaching council, and engineering degrees are woeful for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tippy25

Howjadoo wrote: »

For those of you who were accepted with BBS degrees, may I ask if you did a masters and/or had many years work experience in a related field?

I'm thinking of applying but i only have 44 points for my UCD Commerce degree, so a masters AND work experience is looking like my only options for the next few years!

my housemates girlfriend didnt get accepted and she had a 2.1 commerce degree, she's doing a MA in accounting now and didnt get the offer this year either I dont think?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Any UCC people here? Just wondering if we have to do anything else other than the garda vetting right now. My post goes missing a lot (as I'm away and it doesn't get stored very well). The principal said I need a letter saying I have a school, but UCC haven't said anything to me about a letter yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

dory wrote: »
    Any UCC people here? Just wondering if we have to do anything else other than the garda vetting right now. My post goes missing a lot (as I'm away and it doesn't get stored very well). The principal said I need a letter saying I have a school, but UCC haven't said anything to me about a letter yet.[/QUO

Your grand, I've only received garda vetting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

joaneire wrote: »
    You don't need to have done 2 subjects in your degree. The college allows you to make up the credits doing subjects such as school planning, career guidance, Transition Year, SPHE etc. You can also take on other methodologies as a Certificate of Achievement and this would then allow you to get an idea of what teaching that subject entails, and you can go back and do some sort of diploma course which allow you to be recognised. Be VERY careful with your degree subjects, some science graduates weren't able to get their subjects recognised by the teaching council, and engineering degrees are woeful for this.

Are you talking about UCD?
    I just finished in UCD and I am almost certain that everyone had to take 2 subject methodologies even if they only have a single subject degree. They dont offer any specific module into TY,SPHE or Guidance within the PGDE. Generally those who are only qualified to teach 1 subject are usually qualified for a humanities subject like English or History, they generally take on CSPE during the hdip as most schools treat it as filler and it partially would relate to those subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 katg27

hi everyone
    just a quick question. I am taking biology as my mian subject and need to pick two methodologies, i am interested in the career guidance, not sure about my second one...is there any one in particular that might open up more doors when i look for a job seems i only have one main subject. Was thinking TY would be good but is fairly well established in schools at this stage so may not be of benefit!

Advertisement