Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I got my UCC student forms yesterday, hope the rest of ye got them as well, sent them off today with the two passport photos, don't really know what I will do with the timetables yet but I'll figure that out later, off to southeast asia tomorrow so thank god I got them in time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mr_october

Hi, I have a degree in Commerce International with French from UCD and got accepted onto the Business PGDE in Trinity this year. Trinity don't go by points and you are interviewed for the place, so I think that helped. Based on my second year results, I had a 2:1 and got offered Maynooth as well because they take the french into account. I also had some work experience too. I'd say your best chance would be to apply for the Trinity course as for the NUI application, you are going to be up against people with Masters and they award places solely on the basis of points. Hope this helps-but the Trinity application is defo worth a shot! Best of luck with whatever you decide.
    Howjadoo wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I've been reading this thread for ages - congratulations to everybody who got a place! I just have a question for those who were accepted this year. Did many of you with a Business related degree get into the Dip?

This seems to be quite difficult - as the maximum points you can get from a degree are 51, yet BBS degrees are required to get 52!! :O

For those of you who were accepted with BBS degrees, may I ask if you did a masters and/or had many years work experience in a related field?

I'm thinking of applying but i only have 44 points for my UCD Commerce degree, so a masters AND work experience is looking like my only options for the next few years!

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply,

Kind regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

I got my UCC student forms yesterday, hope the rest of ye got them as well, sent them off today with the two passport photos, don't really know what I will do with the timetables yet but I'll figure that out later, off to southeast asia tomorrow so thank god I got them in time!

yeah i got mine on monday like you, i'll be sending them tomorrow, its grand as long as the college gets em by the 10th.

with regards to the timetables, most schools wont be making up their new timetables until August, but i'll be contacting my school discussing my timetable in June or July. Shouldnt be too much hassle.

enjoy your holiday in southeast asia! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I was wondering if anybody could clarify the PAC point system for me for those with results from UCD. The GPA range tops off at 4.3 but UCD only goes 4.2 so I was wondering what points a GPA of 3.36 would fetch? It seems like 44 but I wouldn't mind some clarification from those already through the process?

http://www.pac.ie/pgdeinfo/PointsCalc.php?inst=pe

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Celephais

44 sounds about right. For the record, I got offered a first round place in UCD with a GPA of 3.33, which left me with 43 points I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 splash137

Hi all, i hope someone can help answer 2 questions for me.

I am hoping to do the PGDE next year..begin Sept 2012 so will be applying later this year. I have heard from this year's PGDE students that the course is changing to a 2 year course beginning 2012...can anyone verify this?

Also with regard to the points calculation...if an applicant had almost finished a 3 year postgraduate course but 'dropped out' in the final few months without qualifying, is their any chance of getting some points for doing this course anyway despite not completing it?? I know it's a long shot but just wondered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Hi,
    I was looking at the points system and the quotas for business degrees.

The degree that I will be doing is Finance and Economics with a Minor in Goegraphy.

According to Maynooth I will be able to teach Accounting, Economics, Business Studies and Geography once I complete a PGDE.

The points required for a Business Related Degree are much higher.

But I was wondering could I have geography as my main Subject and apply with that so I could get the lower amount of points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mr_october

Hi, provided you meet the teaching council requirements and are deemed eligible to teach geography, you will be accepted onto the PGDE as coming from a non business degree-ie: on the lower points! It doesn't matter which subject you choose as your major, either way, you will be assessed based on the lower points system! I had the same query earlier on in the year as my degree was in Commerce and French and got offered the PGDE based on the lower points because of my French! Best of luck with it!
    dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Hi,

The degree that I will be doing is Finance and Economics with a Minor in Goegraphy.

According to Maynooth I will be able to teach Accounting, Economics, Business Studies and Geography once I complete a PGDE.

But I was wondering could I have geography as my main Subject and apply with that so I could get the lower amount of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Hi,

As far as I know, it depends on the actual course code of your degree, as these are what determines whether or not your degree i a 'business degree' and therefore subject to the quota. Also, the fact that geography is a minor could be problematic, check in advance with the Teaching Council about exactly how many credits you need of geography and in what topics - geography is one of the subjects where you need an equal balance of e.g. human geography, physical geography etc.

If you're going to NUIM for example, you could avoid any possible problems with the quota system by taking the MH101 Arts degree and study finance/economics/business/geography as Arts subjects (finance and business only became available recently as Arts subjects), and in doing so, you'll be exempt from the business quota because you did an Arts degree. Just a suggestion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

UCC people - what is this 'principal's statement' that we need to send back by June 10? Do I just need to contact the principal and ask for him to write a letter to me confirming I have a school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

Finally got my tp sorted! Big relief! For anyone doin the dip in Trinity, has anyone heard anything since being accepted? I see others mentioning forms etc, Ive heard nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lellskells

splash137 wrote: »
    Hi all, i hope someone can help answer 2 questions for me.

I am hoping to do the PGDE next year..begin Sept 2012 so will be applying later this year. I have heard from this year's PGDE students that the course is changing to a 2 year course beginning 2012...can anyone verify this?

Also with regard to the points calculation...if an applicant had almost finished a 3 year postgraduate course but 'dropped out' in the final few months without qualifying, is their any chance of getting some points for doing this course anyway despite not completing it?? I know it's a long shot but just wondered!

I have looked into this and the TC have advised me that this is planned for 2013/2014, but who knows if this will materialise. Regarding the 3 yr postgrad, I very much doubt you will get any points for this. Good luck anyway. I hope to get NUIG in 2012, Ive been in industry for 12 years so this is a big leap of faith for me. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PeeWe

Hi dno I have not received anything from Trinity yet either, I'm sure it won't be too long until we hear. Hope they send us out something soon :-) I am really looking forward to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lauraSha

dno7239 wrote: »
    Finally got my tp sorted! Big relief! For anyone doin the dip in Trinity, has anyone heard anything since being accepted? I see others mentioning forms etc, Ive heard nothing.

Hey! Nope I haven't heard anything back from Trinity yet either! Hopefully we will soon enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cazhater

Anyone out there who is or has done the diP? Could you give me an insight into and preparation that I can do?

My subjects are English and geography- I was thinking of getting the Junior Cert books and begining to get to know the curriculum?

Anything else I could do???

Also could anybody tell me what the best Junior Cert English and Geography are??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kerfuffle37

Hi,

I'm starting the UCD PGDE in August and have secured my teaching practice hours but the school are keen to have me help with the extra curricular side of things too and want me to find out if there'll be any space in my afternoon timetable to fit this in. I rang college but all they'll tell me is that the timetable won't be confirmed until August. Can anyone from the year just gone give me an idea of the potential hours so I can let the school know? My subjects are Maths and Applied Maths. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xxXchocolate puppyXxx

Hi,

I'm starting the UCD PGDE in August and have secured my teaching practice hours but the school are keen to have me help with the extra curricular side of things too and want me to find out if there'll be any space in my afternoon timetable to fit this in. I rang college but all they'll tell me is that the timetable won't be confirmed until August. Can anyone from the year just gone give me an idea of the potential hours so I can let the school know? My subjects are Maths and Applied Maths. Thanks.

This might help :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055891582&page=13

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

got accepted into PGDE in Galway in the 2nd round last month, i was over the moon :)

i will be doing it through Irish though, anyone else here ? any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 katg27

hi, has anyone had any more info from NUIG..all i have received so far is the Gardai clearance forms...should we expect anything else or is that it till Aug/Sept

katg27 wrote: »
    hi, has anyone had any more info from NUIG..all i have received so far is the Gardai clearance forms...should we expect anything else or is that it till Aug/Sept

Ive just received clearance forms too, think thats all we get until induction day. I know on pac.ie NUIG have their info page for successful PGDE candidates on whats needed during the summer. I know i have to send in a form before the 1st July stating what school i got my TP in and personal info along with what subjects i'll be teaching. Then upload a photo to PAC. Im doing the PGDE through irish but i doubt their be much of a difference in protocol! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭96blsh

lauraSha wrote: »
    Hey! Nope I haven't heard anything back from Trinity yet either! Hopefully we will soon enough :)

Any one heard anything yet from trinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 postgrad89

cazhater wrote: »
    Anyone out there who is or has done the diP? Could you give me an insight into and preparation that I can do?

My subjects are English and geography- I was thinking of getting the Junior Cert books and begining to get to know the curriculum?

Anything else I could do???

Also could anybody tell me what the best Junior Cert English and Geography are??

i did english but not geography. the best book you can get is the one that the school is using. just ring them up and ask. this is just because some teachers may be fussy and want you to teach from the same book they do with the same structure so not to confuse the kids. however i would say to try to include handouts for every topic as the books dont always do everything in great detail. so for example if u are doing poetry make a handout where they have to put in and describe poetic terms as they go along. i dont know what i would have done without the internet last year in pgde! a brilliant site for english handouts is www.teachit.co.uk. you must sign up but its free, you can pay a subscription to get more material but there is more than enough in the free section. i would look at exam papers and answers over the summer if i were you so you can see what questions are asked and what answers are exemplary. find these on www.education.ie i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Hey,

I'm currently doing a Sound Technology degree in the UK. I'm going into my final year in Septemeber. I've read about the new rule coming in 2012 (I think) where you need some sort of teaching degree to be able to teach (a PGDE perhaps?)... or was I misinformed about this rule?

Anyways, if that is the case, I'd like to get a teaching degree that I could hold onto in case I was ever to land a job teaching adults in this subject in a few years time (e.g. Fetac level).

Is the PGDE subject specific? Would my degree cater for an advancement to a PGDE?

Cheers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Fart wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm currently doing a Sound Technology degree in the UK. I'm going into my final year in Septemeber. I've read about the new rule coming in 2012 (I think) where you need some sort of teaching degree to be able to teach (a PGDE perhaps?)... or was I misinformed about this rule?

Anyways, if that is the case, I'd like to get a teaching degree that I could hold onto in case I was ever to land a job teaching adults in this subject in a few years time (e.g. Fetac level).

Is the PGDE subject specific? Would my degree cater for an advancement to a PGDE?

Cheers.

The PGDE is for second level teaching. If you want to teach in one of the PLC colleges they generally look for people who have experience in their area, and usually an MA, but experience seems to be the big thing from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Hi, was hoping to be able to apply for the PGDE this year. really disapointed with my results though (i am appealing two of them because they seem bizare) but it left me with a 2.2 and only 40 points for the PGDE. I see there is a course in NUIG, with it done through Irish and Irish was one of my subjects so that wouldnt be too bad at all, and that is 40 points, or was last year anyway, but If I did it this way would i have to do my Teaching practice in a Gaelscoil and following on from that would I be able to teach in a normal English speaking school afterwards? My second subject is History so with if i did the PGDE through Irish, can I teach History through English afterwards, like in the years that follow?

Hi, was hoping to be able to apply for the PGDE this year. really disapointed with my results though (i am appealing two of them because they seem bizare) but it left me with a 2.2 and only 40 points for the PGDE. I see there is a course in NUIG, with it done through Irish and Irish was one of my subjects so that wouldnt be too bad at all, and that is 40 points, or was last year anyway, but If I did it this way would i have to do my Teaching practice in a Gaelscoil and following on from that would I be able to teach in a normal English speaking school afterwards? My second subject is History so with if i did the PGDE through Irish, can I teach History through English afterwards, like in the years that follow?

I'm about to start the dip through Irish in september,the one in NUIG. I came out with a 2.2 in my final year last year as well but i could have applied with my 2nd year results if i had applied for the PGDE when i actually was in third year, but due to unforeseen circumstances i did not apply. I applied for the dip last November, and with the Dioploma Iarchéime san Oideachas, everybody that applies for it gets called for an interview and written examination to test their grammar in the language.

So they don't pick candidates solely on your degree results, the exam and interview will be included. To be honest it is the best part to redeem yourself if you are not confident that you'll get it with the results you got.

To answer your question, you will have to do your TP in a Gaelscoil and there is a list of all irish secondary schools that you can apply for your placement on www.gaelscoileanna.ie/postprimary

You will have to teach your other subject, which is History, through Irish during this time, plus all lectures and assessment whilst in college will be through Irish. After the PGDE through Irish is completed, you will be qualified to teach through English and Irish.

Hope this helps! :)

Realt11 wrote: »
    I'm about to start the dip through Irish in september,the one in NUIG. I came out with a 2.2 in my final year last year as well but i could have applied with my 2nd year results if i had applied for the PGDE when i actually was in third year, but due to unforeseen circumstances i did not apply. I applied for the dip last November, and with the Dioploma Iarchéime san Oideachas, everybody that applies for it gets called for an interview and written examination to test their grammar in the language.

So they don't pick candidates solely on your degree results, the exam and interview will be included. To be honest it is the best part to redeem yourself if you are not confident that you'll get it with the results you got.

To answer your question, you will have to do your TP in a Gaelscoil and there is a list of all irish secondary schools that you can apply for your placement on www.gaelscoileanna.ie/postprimary

You will have to teach your other subject, which is History, through Irish during this time, plus all lectures and assessment whilst in college will be through Irish. After the PGDE through Irish is completed, you will be qualified to teach through English and Irish.

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you very much, that is exactly the information i needed! I wouldnt really mind having to do it through Irish for that, and really it will help me further develop irish as a subject and then open the door to subbing in either an english speaking or an irish speaking school once im finished the dip and trying to get full time employment. Can I just ask what the interview and test are like? are they both difficult or what sort of things do they ask. At least your doing the exact course I'm trying hard to get into so I know its a safe option. Thanks again.

Thank you very much, that is exactly the information i needed! I wouldnt really mind having to do it through Irish for that, and really it will help me further develop irish as a subject and then open the door to subbing in either an english speaking or an irish speaking school once im finished the dip and trying to get full time employment. Can I just ask what the interview and test are like? are they both difficult or what sort of things do they ask. At least your doing the exact course I'm trying hard to get into so I know its a safe option. Thanks again.

The exam is almost similar to a Leaving Cert higher level paper. It has 3 sections; Composition, Comprehension and Grammar. Your given 3 essays to choose from in the comprehension, pick one. A short léamhthuiscint and a paragraph of grammar to re-write and correct for grammar mistakes (Seimhiú, tuiseal ginideach, urú, etc etc... ) lasts about 1hr 30mins.

Before the interview, you will get three topics in an email. Then you choose one topic to prepare a presentation. For example my topic was: 'Tréithe riachtanacha an mhúinteora maith' I had about 500 words written about the types traits that are required to be a good teacher, put the info on flashcards and i was able to bring these flashcards into the interview with me. You can read off these cards so there is no need to get stressed about learning it off but id advise to learn some of it off so as it looks like you've learned it if you get me?? highlight the best points to drive home, eye contact is really important! Then after the presentation, the interviewers will ask you some questions, they may pick out stuff you said in your presentation or they will ask how you plan to teach your second subject. Another question they could pose is if you went to a gaelscoil as a student. Its literally 10mins long and the time flies!!! its the scariest bit but also the part where you can really, really impress them. :)

Realt11 wrote: »
    The exam is almost similar to a Leaving Cert higher level paper. It has 3 sections; Composition, Comprehension and Grammar. Your given 3 essays to choose from in the comprehension, pick one. A short léamhthuiscint and a paragraph of grammar to re-write and correct for grammar mistakes (Seimhiú, tuiseal ginideach, urú, etc etc... ) lasts about 1hr 30mins.

Before the interview, you will get three topics in an email. Then you choose one topic to prepare a presentation. For example my topic was: 'Tréithe riachtanacha an mhúinteora maith' I had about 500 words written about the types traits that are required to be a good teacher, put the info on flashcards and i was able to bring these flashcards into the interview with me. You can read off these cards so there is no need to get stressed about learning it off but id advise to learn some of it off so as it looks like you've learned it if you get me?? highlight the best points to drive home, eye contact is really important! Then after the presentation, the interviewers will ask you some questions, they may pick out stuff you said in your presentation or they will ask how you plan to teach your second subject. Another question they could pose is if you went to a gaelscoil as a student. Its literally 10mins long and the time flies!!! its the scariest bit but also the part where you can really, really impress them. :)

Brilliant, Thanks again. You gave me more information in two replies than I got in about 3 career guidance meetings. At least with it having an exam and interview you can show you are comfortable with Irish and as you said the interview you can make it obvious that you really want to teach. I better not say that I wanted to do it preferably through english!! but im sure they will pick that up seeming I didn't go to a gaelscoil! At least with Irish it makes no odds really because Irish is Irish so it cant be thought through English but History will be a bit more challenging and writing up all projects and course work for the year, but in another way it will mean you Irish Vocab is on the increase all the time. Fingers crossed I will get that next year around, I may ask you though throughout the year what the course is like and what it entails and all. What are your two subjects for teaching?

• Advertisement

Brilliant, Thanks again. You gave me more information in two replies than I got in about 3 career guidance meetings. At least with it having an exam and interview you can show you are comfortable with Irish and as you said the interview you can make it obvious that you really want to teach. I better not say that I wanted to do it preferably through english!! but im sure they will pick that up seeming I didn't go to a gaelscoil! At least with Irish it makes no odds really because Irish is Irish so it cant be thought through English but History will be a bit more challenging and writing up all projects and course work for the year, but in another way it will mean you Irish Vocab is on the increase all the time. Fingers crossed I will get that next year around, I may ask you though throughout the year what the course is like and what it entails and all. What are your two subjects for teaching?

no problem! i had the same problem with careers, it never helped, just had loads of mates who did it this year so i heard all about it and its structure. A good course by all accounts! Cant wait to get my teeth into it now to be honest and your more than welcome to ask me questions about it :)
    Ive heard the lesson plans is the most challenging part of the course, everyone has to have them completed everyday in case of inspection. My two subjects for teaching are Irish and Geography, so learning them geographical terms in irish is going to be fun :P seeing as ive done Geography through English for years.

Advertisement