Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lauraSha

96blsh wrote: »
    Any one heard anything yet from trinity?

No..haven't heard anything from them yet!! Have you???

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

I just received a letter from Trinity. It was pretty general but it also included a garda vetting form.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 setlikejelly

Hi everyone,
    I am doing the PGDE in NUIG, I am off work for a couple off weeks before I start the course....I want to get some lesson plans prepared for the course but i am not sure what a lesson plan contains... Can anyone point me in the direction of an example of one.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ed3

i have attached a template for a lesson plan that was used in NUIG this year for the PGDE. However these could be subject to chance (as im sure is most of the course for the coming year!!)

to be honest i planned on doing a lot of lesson plans before the course began but im glad i didn't as i would not have understood what i was putting into them until i began the actual teaching on teaching practice.

i would recommend maybe finding out topics within your subjects that you will be teaching your classes from your school early in sept and start getting teaching resources together i.e handouts, overheads, posters, powerpoints, games etc etc these are what take up most of your time on teaching practice not the lesson plans.....in the end you will be able to do a lesson plan in less than 5 mins....seriously!!!

maybe enjoy your summer setslikejelly.....start the hard work in sept :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 iarmhii

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has ever been accepted to the PGDE on 41 /42 points ? Is 43 the baseline minimum requirement ? Is completion of the TEFL course of any significant benefit towards application ?

Many thanks in advance

Iarmhii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 digsy01

Received a letter from Trinity this morning, finally!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 setlikejelly

Hi ED3

Thanks a million, this is so helpful. All the best.

Setlikejelly

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Realt11 wrote: »
    no problem! i had the same problem with careers, it never helped, just had loads of mates who did it this year so i heard all about it and its structure. A good course by all accounts! Cant wait to get my teeth into it now to be honest and your more than welcome to ask me questions about it :)
    Ive heard the lesson plans is the most challenging part of the course, everyone has to have them completed everyday in case of inspection. My two subjects for teaching are Irish and Geography, so learning them geographical terms in irish is going to be fun :P seeing as ive done Geography through English for years.

Thats cool, thanks! same as learnning history terms and battles and places will be hard but I was talking to a teacher recently and they said as far as they know you only do your HDip on one subject? It makes sense when I think back to the HDip's I had they also only seemed to teach one subject? so if that is the case do you know if we will choose the subject to HDip on or is it just based on whatever subject you can get with a school? I forgot that we wont be learning poetry or subjects or anything it will hust be lectures basically on how to speak. If you have any information or clarity on one subject or 2 subjects or how its chose please let me know, but once you start in September you might have more information! I hope once I apply for the course I'l get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭chickencurry02

Just a couple of questions

Is it true that a B.E. in engineering is not good enough to teach maths. I was told that you also need to complete a maths course (m208) also through open university to be eligible.

And if you can put down only maths (5 ects), where can you get the other 5 ects to make up the ten as you need to have 10 ects listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭caroline72

Thats cool, thanks! same as learnning history terms and battles and places will be hard but I was talking to a teacher recently and they said as far as they know you only do your HDip on one subject? It makes sense when I think back to the HDip's I had they also only seemed to teach one subject? so if that is the case do you know if we will choose the subject to HDip on or is it just based on whatever subject you can get with a school? I forgot that we wont be learning poetry or subjects or anything it will hust be lectures basically on how to speak. If you have any information or clarity on one subject or 2 subjects or how its chose please let me know, but once you start in September you might have more information! I hope once I apply for the course I'l get in.

Haven't gone through this previous post but is it the dip through Irish in NUIG you're looking at ya? I have a friend who did it and from my own knowledge of the dip in Cork and all my other friends who have done it in other countries it is definitely two subjects that you teach. Sometimes (depending on the college) you will have a primary and a secondary subject, and in general you will have more supervisor visits in your primary subject (but not always) and in my course in UCC you chose yourself which subject was primary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

ed3 wrote: »
    i have attached a template for a lesson plan that was used in NUIG this year for the PGDE. However these could be subject to chance (as im sure is most of the course for the coming year!!)

to be honest i planned on doing a lot of lesson plans before the course began but im glad i didn't as i would not have understood what i was putting into them until i began the actual teaching on teaching practice.

i would recommend maybe finding out topics within your subjects that you will be teaching your classes from your school early in sept and start getting teaching resources together i.e handouts, overheads, posters, powerpoints, games etc etc these are what take up most of your time on teaching practice not the lesson plans.....in the end you will be able to do a lesson plan in less than 5 mins....seriously!!!

maybe enjoy your summer setslikejelly.....start the hard work in sept :):):)

Thanks for that. Doing the PGDE aswel in Sept. I know its subject to change but gives an idea what is expected etc :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Have any UCC 2011 people received anything in the post lately? Since the stuff where we needed the letter from the school? I'm away for the summer and worried ill miss something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 smcmaths

Didn't receive anything else from UCC Dory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 katg27

Hi all, Just 8 weeks to go! getting excited/nervous..have to hand in my notice to work soon..big step!!! Have spent the last few months doing powerpoints and getting lessons ready..think i am making good progress but am a bit concerned about discipline in the classroom...want to be strict but fair..anyone any good pointers or any recommended reading? By the way incase anyone doesnt know get your booklists from the school your doing you tp in and also their role number then e-mail the publishers for free copies of the books you need...got all of mine delivered last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

katg27 wrote: »
    Hi all, Just 8 weeks to go! getting excited/nervous..have to hand in my notice to work soon..big step!!! Have spent the last few months doing powerpoints and getting lessons ready..think i am making good progress but am a bit concerned about discipline in the classroom...want to be strict but fair..anyone any good pointers or any recommended reading? By the way incase anyone doesnt know get your booklists from the school your doing you tp in and also their role number then e-mail the publishers for free copies of the books you need...got all of mine delivered last week!

Nice one - had forgot about getting schoolbooks in the midst of it all! Did you tell publishers you were a dipper, or just that you would be teaching?

Just said i would be teaching in the school from September and they sent me out everything within a week!!

Just said i would be teaching in the school from September and they sent me out everything within a week!!

Did you send off the reading list or just email them?

just sent them a list of the books the school gave me..had to contact four different publishers via e-mail or you could ring them if you want. All contact details are up on their websites! save a few pennies anyway seems we'll all be skint students soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

Cant believe its 8 weeks to go, :O i'm in the middle of my thesis so i wont be finished until near this time next month! I'll only have 2 weeks to get prepared!

im not fully sure what the situation is with teaching 2 subjects, im pretty sure the friends who did the same course last year taught one subject but the principal said to me i could be teaching both, but i'll let you know as soon as I find out anymore info :)

• Advertisement

Realt11 wrote: »
    Cant believe its 8 weeks to go, :O i'm in the middle of my thesis so i wont be finished until near this time next month! I'll only have 2 weeks to get prepared!

oh dont worry, you'll be fine! do you know anyone that teaches the same subject as you..its great to get bits and bobs off of people already teaching!! Best of luck with the thesis!! you have your study head on anyway...i've been workin the last five years so have to get into the college frame of mind again!! :D

oh dont worry, you'll be fine! do you know anyone that teaches the same subject as you..its great to get bits and bobs off of people already teaching!! Best of luck with the thesis!! you have your study head on anyway...i've been workin the last five years so have to get into the college frame of mind again!! :D[/QUOTE

Thanks a mill! :) That is true, but i'll be burned out from thesis work i'll need a holiday before TP ha! I do know a few people who could help me, though whether they'll still have their notes is another thing. sure all we can do is wait and see, im sure i'll be fine once i get into the swing of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

Hi, I currently have 41 points from a commerce degree and am considering doing a masters degree in sept which would bring me to 47 points. I'm aware that they are cutting back on business subjects for the hdip, what chances would I have with 47 points next year? Id also have the option of perhaps doing a diploma after that which would bring me to 49 points. I also might have a chance to get some "Part-time paid professional experience" which would get me 1-2 points. What chances would I have with that? Sorry if I should be googling all this, tried but couldn't really get exact info. Thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cheese_cake

Got accepted to NUIG for September, still haven't secured teaching practice, been turned down by 3 schools already, slightly panicking, anyone else on the same boat..??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Got accepted to NUIG for September, still haven't secured teaching practice, been turned down by 3 schools already, slightly panicking, anyone else on the same boat..??

Contact what some see as 'rough' schools, or schools in areas seen as rough. It will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

Does anyone know, do we get paid if we work a certain amount of hours during TP. In UCC you have to teach 6 hours a week. I was hoping we might get paid for anything over this.

Nari85 wrote: »
    Does anyone know, do we get paid if we work a certain amount of hours during TP. In UCC you have to teach 6 hours a week. I was hoping we might get paid for anything over this.

Officially, no. Some schools will provide for subbing hours etc, but with the new circulars it seems that the department are tightening up on unqualified people taking subbing hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cnoc15

Hey - I have submitted everything to UCD including my TP details but havent recieved anything back re: hours teaching practice needed or any further details I can give the school - anyone else in the same boat?

cnoc15 wrote: »
    Hey - I have submitted everything to UCD including my TP details but havent recieved anything back re: hours teaching practice needed or any further details I can give the school - anyone else in the same boat?

I'm the same, there is information on the UCD PGDE webpage about TP hours needed and guidelines etc. They said they will send out further information sometime in July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 cnoc15

Ok - great! Is everyone doing lesson plans etc? I am at a bit of a loss as to what I can be doing ahead of the 22nd of August?!

Advertisement