Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ed3

katg27...im not from galway, im from clare :)
    the training in work will really stand to you....by the way any chance i could have your job when you leave hahahaha i would take anything at the moment, im even looking for jobs outside of teaching (even though i really dont want to :( )

Some jobs pop up every so often so im just applying for all of the relevant ones but not even a PFO so far!

Any other questions just ask :) as i said im online everyday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CONEO

Hi Katg27. I'm from County Galway - about an hours drive from NUIG. My placement school is only 35 mins drive from my home so that will be good. It will be a big change for you moving back but a great opportunity. I just want to get stuck in now. I dont think there is much prep we can do at this stage. I have to get the books and exam papers,etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Claire083

I am going to graduate in August with a BA in Arts; English and Music from UCD. Its a 2.2. I was just wondering how do I go about applying for the Hdip in secondry school teaching next year? I know that my degree is not high enough to apply with that GPA alone, however I have a lot of teaching experience; I've been teaching the violin for five years in a music school, I teach every friday for a few hours. The term for the music school is sept to june. I was just wondering how to I put these hours into points when applying? And realistically what are my chances? Any help at all would be brilliant! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm afraid teaching experience no longer counts when applying for the dip in most colleges. There are exceptions though. For example, the two year part time dip in DCU has an interview aspect. Hibernia are now doing an online dip in second level education.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Claire083 wrote: »
    I am going to graduate in August with a BA in Arts; English and Music from UCD. Its a 2.2. I was just wondering how do I go about applying for the Hdip in secondry school teaching next year? I know that my degree is not high enough to apply with that GPA alone, however I have a lot of teaching experience; I've been teaching the violin for five years in a music school, I teach every friday for a few hours. The term for the music school is sept to june. I was just wondering how to I put these hours into points when applying? And realistically what are my chances? Any help at all would be brilliant! :)

As was said teaching experience doesn't count. Work experience does I believe, there was a section on it on my form. But for that you have to show P60's and all that to show it was a taxable job. Even with this it would only be a point or two, probably not enough.

Your best bet would be a post-grad or one of the courses with an interview aspect (Trinity and DCU).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Claire083

Thanks a million for the replies! Think I'm going to go for a postgrad. Thanks again :)

ed3 wrote: »
    the training in work will really stand to you....by the way any chance i could have your job when you leave hahahaha i would take anything at the moment, im even looking for jobs outside of teaching (even though i really dont want to :( )

Some jobs pop up every so often so im just applying for all of the relevant ones but not even a PFO so far!

Hi Ed3,

Hope you have had some luck on the job hunting. Wondering if you could please give me an idea what the assignments are like from NUIG. What are the usual topics and how many words? What length of time do you get to complete them? Are there final written exams at the end? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cazhater

I just realized the date for the student information form was to be in by June 1st! I just submitted it there now :eek: ekkk! Now im kind of freaking out that I have missed other forms.? My subjects are English and Geography and I have over 50 Credits in each do I have to ring up the Teaching council to clarify that these are acceptable, or register with them or anything?

The teaching practice form, and the other forms are not due in until August/September? Can anyone clarify this?

Minor panic-!!!

CONEO wrote: »
    Hi Ed3,

Hope you have had some luck on the job hunting. Wondering if you could please give me an idea what the assignments are like from NUIG. What are the usual topics and how many words? What length of time do you get to complete them? Are there final written exams at the end? Thanks

Hey Coneo,
    The assignments for the year are ok (not too bad to be honest). We didnt have any exams at the end of the year, thank god. But as i have already said, this may change, as too might the assignment side of things.

We had for Educational Sciences Module: 4 assignments to complete.
    1. History of Education (1500 words, your own choice for topic related to any stages of Irish Education system)
    2. EDSJ (diversity etc etc) (3000 words (i think) and you had a choice of topics)
    3. Psychology of Education (3000 words) Bullying or Adolescence were the topics.
    4. Philosophy of Education. (1500 words) standard essay about plato and arostotle.

For our methodologies (for me is was Biology and Chemistry) we had to complete a 5-8 lesson plans on chosen topics from the junior cert science course. With this was all the resources that you would use for the lessons.

For the module Professional Practice in Education, we created a portfolio (which is completed in 4 parts throughout the year) in part (a) it was a look back on your educational experiences and what you hope to achieve this year. Part (b) was a digital story (had great fun creating this!). Part (c) was a 1500 word essay on catering for diversity in the classroom or special need in the classroom and Part (d) was a reflection on the year etc etc.

For the module Professional Studies we had to create a Transition Year module on a topic of our choice. This was the assignment that really took a lot of time. This was curriculum and assessment along with teaching for diversity and special needs all wrapped up in one. The word count drove everyone mental on this one, mine at the end was 9990 words!!!!!!! but i put a lot of effort into it and got my A in it in the end :)

Teaching Practice is the other module. You will be required to complete 2 x 800 word essays approx at the end of each week and after a supervisor visit. The essays are 1. A weekly reflection on a chosen topic and 2. A post lesson evaluation in detail from a class you thought that week.
    These will be looked at by your supervisor and they will be looking for critical reflection throughout the teaching practice. You will also have to submit these towards the end of the year.
    Also you will be required to have a lesson plan for every single class you teach and also the resources you use for it. BE WARNED that these folders can be taken up at the end of the year for FULL review by your supervisor, it happened 2 of my friends on the course :(

So i think that is all of the modules and associated assignments!! any other questions just let me know :)

ED

Hi ED,

Thanks so much for all that info. I really didnt have a clue of what the work load would be like. your info gives me a great insight. Looks like I will be busy. I just want to get stuck in now. thanks again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 vic26

Im in NUIG also and still have not got a school, what should i do? wait until September to go into the schools. any advice would be great because totally freaking out!!

vic26 wrote: »
    Im in NUIG also and still have not got a school, what should i do? wait until September to go into the schools. any advice would be great because totally freaking out!!

Hi vic26, If I was you I would contact NUIG and tell them your situation. They might be able to help you find a school. Best of luck. I bet you will be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Beeline

Hey! I'm just looking for some advice on the post graduate diploma in education. I'm currently completing a masters in science, but in my degree I only got a 2.2. So when I calculate my points I have 43.
    I looked up the points for last year and it was 43 most places but not everyone with that was offered a place. Realistically what would my chances be of actually being accepted?
    Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Beeline wrote: »
    Hey! I'm just looking for some advice on the post graduate diploma in education. I'm currently completing a masters in science, but in my degree I only got a 2.2. So when I calculate my points I have 43.
    I looked up the points for last year and it was 43 most places but not everyone with that was offered a place. Realistically what would my chances be of actually being accepted?
    Thanks!!

If points stay at 43, then you can't really say what the odds are. They used random selection to choose between people who are bang on 43.

Don't forget Trinity college also do the PDE based on interview, and DCU run a part-time GDE using interview also.

Also check out Hibernia's new post-primary teaching course, also part time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 katg27

Hi Katg27. I'm from County Galway - about an hours drive from NUIG. My placement school is only 35 mins drive from my home so that will be good. It will be a big change for you moving back but a great opportunity. I just want to get stuck in now. I dont think there is much prep we can do at this stage. I have to get the books and exam papers,etc.

hey coneo, thats great, nice and handy for you. i'm the same my school is bout half an hour from home! would have been hard having a long drive on top of everything else we have to do! did you get your books yet..I mentioned on previous posts to contact the publishers and they'll send them out! mad to get stuck in, feels like i'm in limbo at the moment :D:D. Are you fresh out of college?

hi ed3 hows the job hunting going?? good i hope! ha ha would give you my job in a shot but things in medical science aint what they used to be:)!

wow thanx ed3 for all your info again! dont feel like just doing all the work aswell while you are at it!! :D have to say looking at the workload in a bundle like that seems daunting..starting to get a bit nervous but i suppose its one step at a time!!
    can you pick any topic for the ty?? i'd be thinking along the lines of lab safety or hand hygiene or it that just boring?? does it have to be relative or can it be think outside the box?
    the essays every week sound like alot, do they have to be handed up every week or is it a portfolio type thing?
    gosh maybe its better not to think about it till i have to do it :D:D

hey katg27, for the TY project we were allowed to really chose a topic that would work well with the current curriculum, for my project i created on on sex education. It was a lot of work but a great way of seeing how curriculum is planned etc. However this assignment was given to us EXTREMELY late in the term and therefore that is what we were given, this could be completely different for ye in the coming year!

the assignments are grand, the really are, you are given criteria that you must cover and definately make sure you cover it all to obtain high marks!

the essays each week are fine, the first one will be prob be the hardest but once you get into them you will be flying it!! do not let them build up!!!!!! we had to submit out second block of teaching practice essays (weekly reflections and post lesson evaluations) in two groups of 4 (8 weeks teaching). these were just uploaded onto blackboard online. This may be different for ye once again in the coming year. Your supervisor will guide you in your essays and give you indications if you are on track with what you are writing!!

I put a lot of effort into my teaching practice and got my A and in the end this was the instigator in getting my first class honours outta the course, which is what everyone should be aiming to get from the PGDE. It really is achievable :):):) just keep on top of assignments, cover in them what you are asked and keep on top of your teaching practice essays. It really is an enjoyable year, this time last year i was bricking it worrying about everything as i had heard horror stories, but it really is about relaxing and enjoying the teaching and meeting like minded people and learning all the information you will need to discover who you are as a teacher :)

Ed :)

hey katg27, for the TY project we were allowed to really chose a topic that would work well with the current curriculum, for my project i created on on sex education. It was a lot of work but a great way of seeing how curriculum is planned etc. However this assignment was given to us EXTREMELY late in the term and therefore that is what we were given, this could be completely different for ye in the coming year!

the assignments are grand, the really are, you are given criteria that you must cover and definately make sure you cover it all to obtain high marks!

the essays each week are fine, the first one will be prob be the hardest but once you get into them you will be flying it!! do not let them build up!!!!!! we had to submit out second block of teaching practice essays (weekly reflections and post lesson evaluations) in two groups of 4 (8 weeks teaching). these were just uploaded onto blackboard online. This may be different for ye once again in the coming year. Your supervisor will guide you in your essays and give you indications if you are on track with what you are writing!!

I put a lot of effort into my teaching practice and got my A and in the end this was the instigator in getting my first class honours outta the course, which is what everyone should be aiming to get from the PGDE. It really is achievable :):):) just keep on top of assignments, cover in them what you are asked and keep on top of your teaching practice essays. It really is an enjoyable year, this time last year i was bricking it worrying about everything as i had heard horror stories, but it really is about relaxing and enjoying the teaching and meeting like minded people and learning all the information you will need to discover who you are as a teacher :)

Ed :)

Ed i really appreciate your honesty and your positivity! like you all the horror stories are going round in my head but once i get in the swing of it there'll be nothing to worry about!!
    Can you give me any advice on the actual tp and achieving top marks..what are they mainly looking for when they come in to supervise? is it just a case of being organised prepared or will they be looking for something different in the classroom...alot of my ideas for how i want to teach are similar to yours and i'm sure others...does that matter? oh and do you know what class the supervisor will visit..i think i'd rather not know :D
    am looking forward to the year and my new adventure and meeting new people! its really great to hear how much you enjoyed it and all you got out of it!!:)
    i'll have you worn out with all my questions soon and we'll have taken over the message board soon :D:D:D

katg27 wrote: »
    hey coneo, thats great, nice and handy for you. i'm the same my school is bout half an hour from home! would have been hard having a long drive on top of everything else we have to do! did you get your books yet..I mentioned on previous posts to contact the publishers and they'll send them out! mad to get stuck in, feels like i'm in limbo at the moment :D:D. Are you fresh out of college?

Hi Katg27. I did my degree 9 yrs ago. have been working since. Have been wanting to do the dip for a while. I didnt get it last year so couldnt miss the opportunity of doing it now. dont know how I will cope with being back in college!! oh well at least the holidays will be good.:)

• Advertisement

katg27 wrote: »
    Ed i really appreciate your honesty and your positivity! like you all the horror stories are going round in my head but once i get in the swing of it there'll be nothing to worry about!!
    Can you give me any advice on the actual tp and achieving top marks..what are they mainly looking for when they come in to supervise? is it just a case of being organised prepared or will they be looking for something different in the classroom...alot of my ideas for how i want to teach are similar to yours and i'm sure others...does that matter? oh and do you know what class the supervisor will visit..i think i'd rather not know :D
    am looking forward to the year and my new adventure and meeting new people! its really great to hear how much you enjoyed it and all you got out of it!!:)
    i'll have you worn out with all my questions soon and we'll have taken over the message board soon :D:D:D

TP for me was great as i went back to my old school so felt at ease straight away. My supervisor was a science teacher so he knew the ins and outs of the subject, which was scary at first as i was learning stuff the night before for many of my classes!!
    In the handbook you get there will be a whole section dedicated to TP and the things that the supervisors are looking for....they really go by the list, well at least my supervisor did!. I think they are looking for your ability to interact well with the students, ability to adapt to changing situations, ability to think outside the box and relate the topic you are teaching to students everyday life! professionalism of course and your ability to apply recommendations from previous visits.
    I think if you are getting the subject across to students and involving them i.e. active learning within the lesson and of course assessing with questions and recaps as you go along you will be doing great!

For our TP we knew the lesson our first visit was on as for the 2nd and 3rd visits you are told the week they will come but not the day or lesson.

Sure keep the questions coming, Ill try be as honest and informative as i can!!

ED

TP for me was great as i went back to my old school so felt at ease straight away. My supervisor was a science teacher so he knew the ins and outs of the subject, which was scary at first as i was learning stuff the night before for many of my classes!!
    In the handbook you get there will be a whole section dedicated to TP and the things that the supervisors are looking for....they really go by the list, well at least my supervisor did!. I think they are looking for your ability to interact well with the students, ability to adapt to changing situations, ability to think outside the box and relate the topic you are teaching to students everyday life! professionalism of course and your ability to apply recommendations from previous visits.
    I think if you are getting the subject across to students and involving them i.e. active learning within the lesson and of course assessing with questions and recaps as you go along you will be doing great!

For our TP we knew the lesson our first visit was on as for the 2nd and 3rd visits you are told the week they will come but not the day or lesson.

Sure keep the questions coming, Ill try be as honest and informative as i can!!

ED

ok thats great, good to know what to expect!! got the draft timetable today!! its seems ok, will make more sense when we know the groups!
    i am trying to get the protocols done for the experiments, have you any idea of where i could get good diagrams for apparatus and set up like in the books...would like to stick to powerpoints but am havin trouble finding what i need! if not i'll go with the books!!

Hi Katg27. I did my degree 9 yrs ago. have been working since. Have been wanting to do the dip for a while. I didnt get it last year so couldnt miss the opportunity of doing it now. dont know how I will cope with being back in college!! oh well at least the holidays will be good.:)

hi coneo, i'm sure plenty of people are feeling the same way..its been five years since i was in college..it will be a big adjustment going back but theres always the college bar to numb the pain:D:D!! it is too good an opportunity and by the sounds of it we'll be so busy we wont have any time to think anyway :D what subjects will you be teaching? i'm jc science and lc biology!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

Only less than 2 weeks to go till my thesis is submitted and i can finally focus solely on the h.dip... its been so hard not to think about it the past few weeks!! When is everyone back in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cazhater

Are we supposed to send anything more in? Just the Garda very and the form that went in in June?.. Can't make sense of the time table! Great start :( I'm in Nuig

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

cazhater wrote: »
    Are we supposed to send anything more in? Just the Garda very and the form that went in in June?.. Can't make sense of the time table! Great start :( I'm in Nuig

Im in NUIG too and all i had to send in was the Garda vetting form in June and then sent in a form about what school im doing TP+ what subjects i'll be doing at the beginning of last month. Thats all I've had to send in until September!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 digsy01

Can anybody tell me what date the Trinity lectures start? I realise the induction is the week of the 5th of September, do the lectures begin the following week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Two weeks to go til the start of term, and still haven't got a school. :mad:

Have sent out 85 letters at this stage, and have received practically nothing of use in return. The worst part is, many of the schools replying in the negative went so far as to assume I'd understand that they reserved their places for past pupils. I do not fooking understand! Talk about cronyism! Whatever happened to the best person for the position. Instead, it's a case of who you know. Very frustrating.

Anyway, now that I've that little rant of my chest, anyone on the same boat?

Einhard wrote: »

Have sent out 85 letters at this stage, and have received practically nothing of use in return. The worst part is, many of the schools replying in the negative went so far as to assume I'd understand that they reserved their places for past pupils. I do not fooking understand! Talk about cronyism! Whatever happened to the best person for the position. Instead, it's a case of who you know. Very frustrating.

If i was you I would contact the college and tell them your situation. I've heard they can help in getting a school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Einhard wrote: »

contact the hdip course head or coordinator in watever college you are going to, and they'll help you get a school :)

iv hadnt much time to think about the hdip, summer is going way too fast!
    although it would be good to get started.
    im going to UCC.

i still havnt received my timetable from my school, i tried ringing today but nobody is picking up the phone, i suppose hardly nobody is around these days, should be next week though. i must have the timetable in for august 26th.

if people who are going to the hdip in UCC are reading this, we have orientation days on the 22nd and 23rd august am I correct? does anyone know when do we start lectures? and i presume we begin teaching in schools september 1st. I hope i can manage it, but i wont be shy to ask for advice or tips :)

Advertisement