Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

Has anyone heard anything from NUIM?? I'm getting kinda worried! Just had the Garda vetting form and the TP form to send back right? I'm starting my Tp on the 25th of August, needless to say I am absolutely bricking it!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

definitely contact the college about this, they have ways to get you into a school. Hope it works out for u!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Celephais

markievicz wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything from NUIM?? I'm getting kinda worried! Just had the Garda vetting form and the TP form to send back right? I'm starting my Tp on the 25th of August, needless to say I am absolutely bricking it!:o

It seems to be normal to not hear anything till mid-August, so give it another week or so before you start worrying. UCD just sent out a letter last week, I think, just to confirm attendence and give a timetable for the first week and a half, so there's still no complete information on modules and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

CONEO wrote: »
    If i was you I would contact the college and tell them your situation. I've heard they can help in getting a school.

I contacted the college at the start of July, and was basically told to re-double my efforts. Which was essentially a fob off I thought. Anyway, sent another email today, so hopefully something will come out of it. I'm quite shocked at the lack of support from the college actually. They sent out a form with all the schools in the Dublin area, but several of them have been closed. One closed in 2006, which basically means that this list hasn't been updated in 5 years. Not exactly the kind of thing I'd expect from a leading 3rd level institution, to which I'm paying €6k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 H2O2lives

To backfire, I am starting in UCC too. The timetable is up for the orientations on the 22nd and 23rd. I think school is starting back a little earlier this year. My school has a day for new teachers and hdips on the 24th, and then a staff planning day, then all the different years starting back in dribs and drabs for a few days.
    katg27 wrote: »
    By the way incase anyone doesnt know get your booklists from the school your doing you tp in and also their role number then e-mail the publishers for free copies of the books you need...got all of mine delivered last week!

I was wondering regarding getting the books free from the publishers, does anyone know is this charged to the school or is it the publishers actually give them free. My school didn't mention anything about it and I feel a little reluctant to ask them about it. The books are fairly pricey though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KnocKnocKnock

I wanted to apply for the PGDE next year, I think I read somewhere that you don't get paid for the school placement, is this true? Are there grants that you can apply for? or is it just a case of finding part time work on top of that and just getting on with it? I don't see how it's possible to work in the morning, go to college in the afternoon, work in the evening and still plan lessons etc. I don't know where to go to find out about this. Can anyone clear this up for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

H2O2lives wrote: »
    To backfire, I am starting in UCC too. The timetable is up for the orientations on the 22nd and 23rd. I think school is starting back a little earlier this year. My school has a day for new teachers and hdips on the 24th, and then a staff planning day, then all the different years starting back in dribs and drabs for a few days.

I was wondering regarding getting the books free from the publishers, does anyone know is this charged to the school or is it the publishers actually give them free. My school didn't mention anything about it and I feel a little reluctant to ask them about it. The books are fairly pricey though.

Talk to your subject co-ordinator in the school. I was given copies of everything I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

Einhard wrote: »
    I contacted the college at the start of July, and was basically told to re-double my efforts. Which was essentially a fob off I thought. Anyway, sent another email today, so hopefully something will come out of it. I'm quite shocked at the lack of support from the college actually. They sent out a form with all the schools in the Dublin area, but several of them have been closed. One closed in 2006, which basically means that this list hasn't been updated in 5 years. Not exactly the kind of thing I'd expect from a leading 3rd level institution, to which I'm paying €6k.

Thats not good enough at all,obviously you've tried if you have written to 80+ schools!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

ah didnt know that, i read something about mid august, so didnt bother checking.
    the student handbook has not been put up yet yes? or if it has i cant see the link to it.
    So orientation 22nd and 23rd, and lectures will begin September 12th.

and your teaching practice begins whenever the school wants you to. :)

anyone going to do some teaching shadowing first? i will, not sure will I just go straight into a class on the first day. The first day i will do some shadowing, just to get a feel for things and prepare myself for the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭babel2

not sure if this has been asked already but im considering my options for the future and want to finish my BA before doing a Masters in Spanish and then hoping to go to the UK to do a PGDE (secondary teaching) but heard that its not seen in the same light as doing one here in ireland? so that if i came back to teach here it wouldnt be the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 katg27

my school told me about it! dont worry about asking you defo can get them! Its very easy, ask them for the books you will need and the schools role number and address...e-mail the publishers and they will send them out no questions asked! defo dont buy them, too expensive and you might need to get different books next year if you end up in a different school! All mine were delivered within a week:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cazhater

Can any of ye make any sense of the NUIG time table>? I'm doing English and Geography does this mean I am in some Saturdays? it looks as though there are loads of hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ed3

cazhater wrote: »
    Can any of ye make any sense of the NUIG time table>? I'm doing English and Geography does this mean I am in some Saturdays? it looks as though there are loads of hours!

had a look at the draft timetable there and it looks like they are going with the workshop idea! where you will be assigned to a group for the duration of the course....it really is about time they sorted it out, lectures were crazy last year by the end of the course there were only a hand full of students turning up.

so for the timetable you will be assigned a workshop number 1A, 2A, 4B or whatever and will only have to go to your timetables slot! so all those scheduled workshops are not for everyone. Same for the ED-TECH lectures, you will either be on one day (weds) of the other day (thurs) and they tell you in the beginning you HAVE to go to your assigned one, but a lot of people started suiting themselves last year and just showed up at whatever one they wanted and signed in with permission :)

Geography was on saturdays last year, but it was only 2 saturdays and it was over and done with.

looks like ye are on 4-5pm mondays, tuesday and weds and 12-5pm on thursdays (7 hours of lectures a week) with all your subject methodologies (1 or 2 hours a week) and workshops/ed-tech in between (2 hours a week) Thats very similar to our timetable last year :) around 11/12 hours a week!!!

Ed

ed3 wrote: »

had a look at the draft timetable there and it looks like they are going with the workshop idea! where you will be assigned to a group for the duration of the course....it really is about time they sorted it out, lectures were crazy last year by the end of the course there were only a hand full of students turning up.

so for the timetable you will be assigned a workshop number 1A, 2A, 4B or whatever and will only have to go to your timetables slot! so all those scheduled workshops are not for everyone. Same for the ED-TECH lectures, you will either be on one day (weds) of the other day (thurs) and they tell you in the beginning you HAVE to go to your assigned one, but a lot of people started suiting themselves last year and just showed up at whatever one they wanted and signed in with permission :)

Geography was on saturdays last year, but it was only 2 saturdays and it was over and done with.

looks like ye are on 4-5pm mondays, tuesday and weds and 12-5pm on thursdays (7 hours of lectures a week) with all your subject methodologies (1 or 2 hours a week) and workshops/ed-tech in between (2 hours a week) Thats very similar to our timetable last year :) around 11/12 hours a week!!!

Ed

Ed! Thanks so much! It all makes sense nOw! Cheers

ed3 wrote: »

Ed

Ed! Thanks so much! It all makes sense nOw! Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Backfire wrote: »

So orientation 22nd and 23rd, and lectures will begin September 12th.

Where did you see this date? I'm just wondering when we'll start and haven't seen anything about dates yet.

EDIT: Just dound the timetable online. Whoops. See you in UCC!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 postgrad89

I wanted to apply for the PGDE next year, I think I read somewhere that you don't get paid for the school placement, is this true? Are there grants that you can apply for? or is it just a case of finding part time work on top of that and just getting on with it? I don't see how it's possible to work in the morning, go to college in the afternoon, work in the evening and still plan lessons etc. I don't know where to go to find out about this. Can anyone clear this up for me?

yes unfortunately you don't get paid a penny for placement. however, some schools will give u some extra classes and will pay u for it and others wont :( it is ridiculous to expect people to work, go to college and teach! I finshed the PGDE in May and I haven't heard of any grants that you can get only the usual student grant and the student assistance fund. go to studentfinance.ie to find out more bout these

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Hi guys, I have been away all summer travelling, I have sorted out the garda vetting forms and all that business so now I need to put together a TP timetable and I also need to find accommodation in cork.
    Does anyone know where the best place to look for renting accommodation in or around cork city?

What area is your school in fakearms? Do you want to be within walking distance of the college or between school and college?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

dory wrote: »
    What area is your school in fakearms? Do you want to be within walking distance of the college or between school and college?

Well i will have a bike so im not too fussy, my school is on south douglas road so anywhere in between would be brilliant, i've been looking on daft.ie, any other suggestions?

• Advertisement

Just look on a map where your school and UCC are, and find somewhere around that. You could live in Douglas and then the school would be only up the road and UCC isn't too far away either. I'll be cycling from Douglas when the weather is ok.
    Maybe start a thread in the Cork City forum and people will have some ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sarahb82

Has anyone received any information from Trinity about the pgde other than our Garda vetting forms that were due back last month? the website doesn't appeared to be updated as of yet. Are we supposed to be getting fee payment forms or anything like that in the post? Thanks for any help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PeeWe

sarahb82 wrote: »
    Has anyone received any information from Trinity about the pgde other than our Garda vetting forms that were due back last month? the website doesn't appeared to be updated as of yet. Are we supposed to be getting fee payment forms or anything like that in the post? Thanks for any help! :)

Hi Sarah

I got an email about paying fees, they have to be cleared before registration which I think is the 13th of Sept. Fees have to be paid online like the deposit
    We have to bring our timetables and school details etc to the induction days.

Thanks a million Peewe. Is there a definate date set for the induction course? I know in the letter I received it stated that the 5th was a provisional date but to keep an eye on the website for details, but still nothing yet. Maybe its just me but I would like to know for definate what date we're in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 TeachMealog

It is good that there is more routes into education and especially for practical disciplines for teachers to actually have real world experience.
    But new courses e.g. Hibernia College and the PG Dip in Marino Institute I think are positive measures. As well as St. Patrick's College Thurles coming under UL's wing.

I think that colleges and the teaching council should make thinks more streamlined and formalised.
    All Colleges should state if degrees are TC approved rather than have the student/graduate chasing this up at a later date.

I know of people with degrees from some colleges having issues when with their degree when they went to look at teaching. I know one example of a graduate from a redbrick university in the UK effectively repeating the final year of the degree she got here to get into teaching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PeeWe

sarahb82 wrote: »
    Thanks a million Peewe. Is there a definate date set for the induction course? I know in the letter I received it stated that the 5th was a provisional date but to keep an eye on the website for details, but still nothing yet. Maybe its just me but I would like to know for definate what date we're in

I'd imagine it is the 5th of Sept, we will see what happens.

Are u looking forward to it?

Yea looking forward to starting it alright.I got home from Australia in March and haven't been able to secure a job during that time so I'm looking forward to starting something

There was a book recommended on this thread, I've read back through the thread but can't find it. It was something like, 'How to survive your first year teaching'. But when I Google, that's a pretty common title.

Does anyone remember the author?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭caroline72

dory wrote: »
    There was a book recommended on this thread, I've read back through the thread but can't find it. It was something like, 'How to survive your first year teaching'. But when I Google, that's a pretty common title.

Does anyone remember the author?

I would say its the Sue Cowley one-she has some good books!

• Advertisement

caroline72 wrote: »
    I would say its the Sue Cowley one-she has some good books!

Great, thanks. I found one of hers on Google Books so been reading it online. VEry informative!

Advertisement