Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Bill Rogers is good on classroom management too. I've read 'Cracking the Hard Class' which is very good, and skimmed a few of his other books.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

has everyone got timetables sorted from their schools?
    my school told me they havnt made them out yet, probably wont get them until i go the staff meeting end of next week.

I really have no preparation watsoever for the teaching practise :o
    i wouldnt mind teaching the first years on their first day (26th), frighten the life outta them :p nah im only kidding, but it is important to assert your authority early on.
    ah well, i'll see what happens monday and tuesday first :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Do we wear casual clothes to the UCC orientation on Monday and Tuesday? I know that question sounds a little bit thick but I have been caught out before with jeans and a t-shirt to certain events in the past, so I though it would be better to ask ahead of time. :)

yeah mate, wear what you want to ucc, just like all your lectures, etc.

is the standard dress code at schools for us, shirt n tie and black pants yes?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm going to wear casual clothes to UCC. Maybe not jeans, but casual enough (I'm a girl btw). I presume it's just normal college clothes we wear when in college.

• Advertisement

Backfire wrote: »
    yeah mate, wear what you want to ucc, just like all your lectures, etc.

is the standard dress code at schools for us, shirt n tie and black pants yes?

Cheers, it makes sense, just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. In terms of the schools, black or navy pants, shirt and tie and maybe a jumper is what I've been told.

Cheers, it makes sense, just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. In terms of the schools, black or navy pants, shirt and tie and maybe a jumper is what I've been told.

do you know the day you start teaching in your school?

same question to dory

Backfire wrote: »
    do you know the day you start teaching in your school?

same question to dory

Well I have meetings beginning on the 25th of this month and from a letter I received from the school, I believe I will start teaching on the 31st august. Kind of scary when I think about it!

Well I have meetings beginning on the 25th of this month and from a letter I received from the school, I believe I will start teaching on the 31st august. Kind of scary when I think about it!

yeah iv meeting on the 25th aswell, i assume i will be starting monday 29th, or maybe even the 26th with first years. I just dont know yet. I prefer if I did, i'd be preparing for those early classes these days.

I've meetings from the 24th and teaching on the 29th. Yikes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lducd

Uh Oh! Judging by UCD's orientation timetable my two subject are going to clash, business and geography Anyone else have a subject clashing issue? I know they say we're supposed to go to our main subject but would hate to miss anything important about my other subject!!eek!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 katg27

well think i have done as much as i can..now just to move home and wait for the big day! getting excited now! really looking forward to the block release, will be nice to have a few weeks of college before going to school, nice to concentrate on one at a time!
    Good luck to all!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Packaging

Hi I am studying for my final year in Irish and History in Mary I , I would like to do the H.dip in Galway through Irish I am wondering is it hard to get into ?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

Hey guys, im looking into doing the hdip and was on the gttr.ac.uk site there. It seems that theres still some places left for courses starting in September 2011, is that right? I presumed they'd have been all snapped up ages ago!

And does anyone know when you can start applying for the September 2012 entry which was my initial plan. But if it was possible to get a course starting next month id be over the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PeeWe

sarahb82 wrote: »
    Yea looking forward to starting it alright.I got home from Australia in March and haven't been able to secure a job during that time so I'm looking forward to starting something

Hi the Trinity website has been updated so all relevant info for us is now on there! Hope this helps :-)

Packaging wrote: »
    Hi I am studying for my final year in Irish and History in Mary I , I would like to do the H.dip in Galway through Irish I am wondering is it hard to get into ?

Go to pac.ie and see the points system. It's like the CAO system; certain grades will get you certain points. Generally speaking you need either a high 2.1 or a first to get in. Or a 2.1 and a masters. But you can see on the pac website in more detail.

Starting tomorrow! Eik!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sarahb82

PeeWe wrote: »
    Hi the Trinity website has been updated so all relevant info for us is now on there! Hope this helps :-)

Yea I saw that this morning! Thanks again :) Looking forward to it now

TheHopeful wrote: »
    Hey guys, im looking into doing the hdip and was on the gttr.ac.uk site there. It seems that theres still some places left for courses starting in September 2011, is that right? I presumed they'd have been all snapped up ages ago!

And does anyone know when you can start applying for the September 2012 entry which was my initial plan. But if it was possible to get a course starting next month id be over the moon.
    Anyone? Is it still possible to get a place on the Sept 2011 courses?

Why not just call/email the people? It's possible no one on here knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lducd

Itsnot possible to get a place on the PGDE in Ireland for 2011 entry, but you can begin applying soon as the cosing date is usually the beginning of september, the UK has a different system for applications etc so maybe ring their helpline and see what they can do for you.

• Advertisement

I did a search on the gttr site for 2011 entry for my particular subjects and it showed 3 results of places still available. I emailed the 3 paces last weekend, one of them got back to me today. They don't have any places left but will put you on a waiting list in case anyone pulls out. So its a bit of a longshot but you'd never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Maravilla

Hi all, got a question regarding fees. Just got a bank giro from NUIM to pay for the course, the total cost being €6218 (tuition - €6125 + student levy - €93). I am hoping to get the fees grant from my local authority (Kildare County Council) as I will hopefully be getting the BTEA from social welfare.

Am I right in saying that I can pay half my fees (€3062.50) and the student levy (€93) before registration and when I receive word regarding the fees grant I will be able to get a refund on the fees part if the local authority approve my application?

Any help with this would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Maravilla wrote: »

Am I right in saying that I can pay half my fees (€3062.50) and the student levy (€93) before registration and when I receive word regarding the fees grant I will be able to get a refund on the fees part if the local authority approve my application?

Any help with this would be great.

Yeah you can definitely pay the fees in two halves but I'm not sure how the BTEA works. You should probably give the fees and grants office a ring - they're usually helpful with questions like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Maravilla

Bobsammy wrote: »
    Yeah you can definitely pay the fees in two halves but I'm not sure how the BTEA works. You should probably give the fees and grants office a ring - they're usually helpful with questions like that!

That's grand, just thinking over 6 thousand in one go would not be helpful right now.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

Maravilla wrote: »
    That's grand, just thinking over 6 thousand in one go would not be helpful right now.

Thanks

Hey you can just pay the student levy either when you're registering and once you get the letter from the grants authority just drop it in to the college. It just means that you wont be able to use the library for the time between registering and receiving your letter about the grant and if you're in Maynooth we'll not need to use the library at all, until the 19th of September at least because of the induction week and the observation week! I've put in for a grant and I'm just paying the student levy for now. If your letter takes ages you can go in and pay half the fees if you need to at a later stage! I'd hold off because Maynooth can be very slow at sending you the refund of your fees, mine took until January last year to arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 random_

Hi guys, just a question about points calculation for the PGDE...

They allocate 6 points more for degrees where 'honours are available' so say for example...

'Degrees where honours are available' Points = 37
    'Degrees where honours are not available' Points = 31

Unfortunately i graduated with just a pass degree from Tallaght IT - Pass was the official grade awarded, GPA of 2.60 - with Merit 2, Merit 1 & Distinction available above that - So am I to take it that the lower points range applies to me?

My degree was in Computer Science so I'd be limited to ICT and possibly Maths... I have a post grad diploma too, also in the area of IT, but that probably won't count for much - have also worked as an SNA for 18 months until the job was cut this Summer...

I've know there is no point applying for second level with ICT alone, but was hoping to pursue the youthreach/vec angle...

Either way because of the pass degree, it looks like its not a runner at all for me, particularly if the lower tier of points applies to me?
    Cheers for any replies...

You got a pass in an honours degree from what I can tell so you should use the higher points scale AFAIK. A pass degree would generally be like a 3 year science degree - a degree that's normally done in 4 years done in three. BUt they're not the norm any more.

I've no idea about VEC/Youthreach. I know a friend of mine works in youth work but she has an MA in social work from Maynooth. Maybe you should look into that instead of the PGDE?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 random_

Cheers for getting back dory...

That wouldn't be quite as bad but would still leave me short, something like 37 for the degree + possibly 2 for the SNA work ... not sure if they'll recognise the post grad.

Never really thought teaching would be for me, but the last few years working in a disadvantaged school changed my mind on that one...even though there's little or no demand for ICT in Second Level, i thought the whole Further Ed area might be an avenue to pursue and surely it will have to feature as a second level exam subject at some point?...

Either way, as far as I know you need to be registered with the teaching council for youthreach/vec, so i'd have to do the PGDE in order to register, and as you can see, I just don't have the points...maybe a masters might get me over the line, but the minimum 2.2 entry requirement for pretty much every masters is killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

Handbook now up on NUIG website

http://www.nuigalway.ie/education/downloads/pgde/pde_handbook_201112.pdf

Feeling a bit nervous now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 cazhater

Handbook now up on NUIG website

http://www.nuigalway.ie/education/downloads/pgde/pde_handbook_201112.pdf

Feeling a bit nervous now!

Yea I just saw it earlier, the "pde" sounds as though it's going to be a lot of work!! Especially when attempting to comPlete it along with a part time job! Eek.. I can feel the pressure already!

Advertisement