Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

cazhater wrote: »
    Yea I just saw it earlier, the "pde" sounds as though it's going to be a lot of work!! Especially when attempting to comPlete it along with a part time job! Eek.. I can feel the pressure already!

I know I have a Saturday Job in Mayo, Doing Geography and Maths so hoping there won't be many Geography lectures on Saturdays! Suppose take it has it comes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cazhater

I know I have a Saturday Job in Mayo, Doing Geography and Maths so hoping there won't be many Geography lectures on Saturdays! Suppose take it has it comes :)

Im doing geography and English, being in on a saturday is nasty! But looks as though there are only about 3, so its not too bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

Im doing geography and English, being in on a saturday is nasty! But looks as though there are only about 3, so its not too bad!!

Just looking at the handbook on page 20, its says Geography Sept 12,26 and Nov 22, they are not Saturdays!! Im confused!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 katg27

handbook does seem a bit daunting but hey we are all in it together!! i am seriously hoping to get the grant because a part time job doesnt seem possible but if i have ta i have ta!! i suppose once we get started it will be grand! nervous excited now!!! :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alpha2010

when can I apply for PGDE/HDip for 2012? I tried applying now but its only for this year not next year

• Advertisement

alpha2010 wrote: »
    when can I apply for PGDE/HDip for 2012? I tried applying now but its only for this year not next year[/Quote

The closing date is mid December, I believe the application entry opens mid September!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Could a major in Archaeology be used to teach history after the PGDE/HDIP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 teachnua1

Hi There,
    I want to apply for the Hdip in NUIG (next years intake). I am a chartered accountant but want to change my career due to severe back problems from sitting 9 hours + a day.
    Can anyone tell me would I qualify for grant assistance if I left my job to do this course?
    I have just returned to work after 4 months but still have a medical condition known as drop foot.
    I would be very greatful if anyone could help.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

flag123 wrote: »
    Could a major in Archaeology be used to teach history after the PGDE/HDIP?

Look up the Teaching Council website and see what courses are allowed to teach History. I would think no, as you wouldn't have learnt about many types of history covered in degrees/leaving cert on an Archaeology course.

teachnua1 wrote: »
    Hi There,
    I want to apply for the Hdip in NUIG (next years intake). I am a chartered accountant but want to change my career due to severe back problems from sitting 9 hours + a day.
    Can anyone tell me would I qualify for grant assistance if I left my job to do this course?
    I have just returned to work after 4 months but still have a medical condition known as drop foot.
    I would be very greatful if anyone could help.
    Thanks

It depends what your level of education is. If you have a masters then you won't be eligible. If you only have a degree then you're in with a shot. You just fill out some forms and hope for the best.

• Advertisement

dory wrote: »
    Look up the Teaching Council website and see what courses are allowed to teach History. I would think no, as you wouldn't have learnt about many types of history covered in degrees/leaving cert on an Archaeology course.

Hmmm..

Having a Joint major in Geography & Archaeology means only Geography can be thought at second level.

Could C.S.P.E modules be thought during the Hdip year with the result of being able to teach it?

dory wrote: »

Hmmm..

Having a Joint major in Geography & Archaeology means only Geography can be thought at second level.

Could C.S.P.E modules be thought during the Hdip year with the result of being able to teach it?

You would be able to do a methodology in cspe, howeverthat does not mean that you would be recognised to teach it by the teaching council, you could teach it none the less but you would only have one recognised subject.. Iits only in the coming years that they will become really strict on this lots of places have teachers who are only qualified in one subject yet are teaching 2 or 3!

You would be able to do a methodology in cspe, howeverthat does not mean that you would be recognised to teach it by the teaching council, you could teach it none the less but you would only have one recognised subject.. Iits only in the coming years that they will become really strict on this lots of places have teachers who are only qualified in one subject yet are teaching 2 or 3!

I'm most likely going to do a Masters along the lines of Business Management.

Say I graduate with the masters, would I be recognised to teach business studies as well as Geography?

I'm most likely going to do a Masters along the lines of Business Management.

Say I graduate with the masters, would I be recognised to teach business studies as well as Geography?

No, only undergrads count usually (some small exceptions). Teaching Council can tell you for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Realt11 wrote: »
    no problem! i had the same problem with careers, it never helped, just had loads of mates who did it this year so i heard all about it and its structure. A good course by all accounts! Cant wait to get my teeth into it now to be honest and your more than welcome to ask me questions about it :)
    Ive heard the lesson plans is the most challenging part of the course, everyone has to have them completed everyday in case of inspection. My two subjects for teaching are Irish and Geography, so learning them geographical terms in irish is going to be fun :P seeing as ive done Geography through English for years.

Hey i sent you a private message about the course etc. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 laser_88

Hi everyone.....im hoping ye can answer this for me. Im just finished four years studying in CIT..i firstly graduated with an ordinary degree in recreation and leisure management and then went on to do a higher degree in business studies, where i have just graduated.

I've always wanted to do to P.E teaching...but just didnt get the points, i was wondering do people know whats the best way in trying to do this course???? It does show on the teaching council website that business studies degree is approved...so do i have an option to do a post grad in UL...or do you think my only option is to do 4 years and start all over again....im just 23 and will be applying as a mature student..

Please can someone help me and let me know....i've been to the guidance council in CIT and got no help from them..

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

laser_88 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.....im hoping ye can answer this for me. Im just finished four years studying in CIT..i firstly graduated with an ordinary degree in recreation and leisure management and then went on to do a higher degree in business studies, where i have just graduated.

I've always wanted to do to P.E teaching...but just didnt get the points, i was wondering do people know whats the best way in trying to do this course???? It does show on the teaching council website that business studies degree is approved...so do i have an option to do a post grad in UL...or do you think my only option is to do 4 years and start all over again....im just 23 and will be applying as a mature student..

Please can someone help me and let me know....i've been to the guidance council in CIT and got no help from them..

As far as I know, your only option is to start a P.E degree - UL do one, and DCU have one that combines Biology and Physical Ed, which would ultimately qualify you in P.E, Biology and JC Science. Best bet is to contact the TC as they are the ones who determine what you can teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 laser_88

Thanks for the reply.....theres never an easy option is there :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Just looking at the handbook on page 20, its says Geography Sept 12,26 and Nov 22, they are not Saturdays!! Im confused!! :confused:

Quick question, where do I get this handbook for the Hdip and second, apart from applying online on the PAC, what other documentations do I need or any other things I have to do to apply.

Ive just graduated from my three year english and history degree.

Quick question, where do I get this handbook for the Hdip and second, apart from applying online on the PAC, what other documentations do I need or any other things I have to do to apply.

Ive just graduated from my three year english and history degree.

General PGDE information can be found on the PAC website. In terms of college-specific courses, you have to look to each website e.g NUIM, UCD etc.

When you apply online, they will ask you to send details of your 3 year degree i.e. degree transcripts. So get hold of them from your university and forward them to the PAC. As far as I remember, after that it's a waiting game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

does anyone know of a course other than the theology hpid in maynooth that is one year and you can use for secondary level teaching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jane.macy

My aim next year is to undertake the H-Dip course if at all possible .I have a Bachelor of Arts degree which gets me 37 points.The cut off for the h-Dip is 43 and 40 in Galway through Irish....for the past two years i have been lucky enough that my subjects are rare enough that i got substitute work for the last two academic years..during this time i have worked with kids on summer courses and through local sports clubs also. The question i have is will any of this help me get the H-Dip or am i really up against it??

jane.macy wrote: »
    My aim next year is to undertake the H-Dip course if at all possible .I have a Bachelor of Arts degree which gets me 37 points.The cut off for the h-Dip is 43 and 40 in Galway through Irish....for the past two years i have been lucky enough that my subjects are rare enough that i got substitute work for the last two academic years..during this time i have worked with kids on summer courses and through local sports clubs also. The question i have is will any of this help me get the H-Dip or am i really up against it??

Sub work doesn't count and the sports clubs would only count if it was relevant to your teaching subject.

You could try Trinity or DCU where entrance is assessed by interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sajama88

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked already - I've tried searching the thread but to no avail. Apologies for repetition if so.

I am hoping to do a PGDE, but am torn between doing it in Scotland or in Ireland. I want to teach in Ireland, but I do believe that if you do it in the UK you can get a grant to cover the tuition fees.

Question 1:
    AFAIK, there are no such grants in Ireland. I am 23 - don't think I'm classified as a mature student yet. Does anyone know if there's anything available?

Question 2:
    If I was to do it in Scotland, and I passed the conversion test to allow me to teach in Ireland: would schools give preference to those that completed their diploma in Ireland over those in the UK, when recruiting?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    SJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 meow24

Hi guys and gals,
    I find it impossible to work out the points. If someone could help me I'd be grateful. I have a third class honors degree. Anyone know how many points this will get me?

meow24 wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals,
    I find it impossible to work out the points. If someone could help me I'd be grateful. I have a third class honors degree. Anyone know how many points this will get me?

You need to know what percentage you got over all, not just the class. Then look at the table on the pac.ie website and see how many points that correlates to. You usually need a high 2.1 to get in. Lots of people get in with a masters. They best thing would probably be to do a postgrad dip or a masters to get more points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

meow24 wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals,

http://www.pac.ie//pdeinfo/PointsCalc.php?inst=pe

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hgibbon

Hi,

This is my first post.

I studied civil, structural and environmental engineering at Trinity College Dublin. I graduated in 2009 with a 2:1 (high). I am eligible to teach maths and applied maths.

I am intereseted in applying for PGDE. I have no teaching experience and limited experience with kids (I was a member of the Order of Malta, and was responsible for under 16s for a number of years on and off).

I have been working as an engineer for 2 years. Does this count as professional experience when applying?

I would appreciate if someone would let me know if I'm wasting my time applying for the PGDE?

Would I be a successful candidate for Trinity? Or would my lack of experience with kids let me down? I am willing to apply everywhere.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

H

hgibbon wrote: »
    Hi,

This is my first post.

I studied civil, structural and environmental engineering at Trinity College Dublin. I graduated in 2009 with a 2:1 (high). I am eligible to teach maths and applied maths.

I am intereseted in applying for PGDE. I have no teaching experience and limited experience with kids (I was a member of the Order of Malta, and was responsible for under 16s for a number of years on and off).

I have been working as an engineer for 2 years. Does this count as professional experience when applying?

I would appreciate if someone would let me know if I'm wasting my time applying for the PGDE?

Would I be a successful candidate for Trinity? Or would my lack of experience with kids let me down? I am willing to apply everywhere.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

H

Maths teachers are in quite high demand these days. As far as I know, working as an engineer would get you some points, though I it's up to the PAC to decide that.

Trinity and DCU are the only colleges that interview for the PGDE and I would guess they would like experience with kids. The other colleges (NUIM, UCD etc) go purely on academic results so it makes no difference to those colleges about past experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

laser_88 wrote: »

Only saw this post now - might be worth your while contacting IT Tralee - they do an add on year for their Rec & Leisure course that qualifies them to teach PE. Link . That may be an option for you

Email Deborah Tannehill, course director of the UL course, details are here. She would know for definite whether your degree is valid for that programme.

Advertisement