Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Maths teachers are in quite high demand these days.

There have been quite a few posts here from Maths teachers who have got oe or two interviews this year and no job. I don't think it's true to say there is a 'quite high demand'. I think it's just not as impossible as it would be with other subjects to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Hi,

I want to apply for the PGDE/HDip in UCD. Does anyone know how to go about it? all i know is applications have to be in by December. I went on to the postgrad website and didn't notice anything to do with UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Paddytheplaster

Hi,

I am just applying for the PGDE now PDE course for 2012 entry. the teaching council (TC) have confirmed that I can teach Business. They suggested that I get an assessment of my other subjects to see if I can also teach them i.e ICT and accounting. At the moment I am gathering module info and other info to assist in the assessment. I am confident that ICT will also be recognised. I studied this subject for four years of my degree and was a huge element of the four years.
    I would doubt that TC will have my assessment done before 1 Dec which is the deadline.

As I am applying for the PDE I have to list "please state your proposed Teaching Subjects which must be taken to Degree level".
    At the moment I only have business but 'might' also have ICT.
    My question is can I list ICT as a teaching subject in addition to Business and put in "pending approvement from TC.
    The reason I want to list ICT is to get me out of the quota system that restricts Business Studies graduates entry to the PDE. This puts my on the normal points system. My course is not listed as being within quota system at the moment but because it has a business element pretty much 50/50. Then the PAC may view me as a business studies I graduate rather that a business computing graduate.

Should I list ICT on my application?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

flag123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to apply for the PGDE/HDip in UCD. Does anyone know how to go about it? all i know is applications have to be in by December. I went on to the postgrad website and didn't notice anything to do with UCD.

Go to pac.ie, register and find ur course to apply. You can open the application form to see all the things you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Hope someone can help with this :)
    I'm hoping to do the PGDE next year with Irish and Spanish. The regualtions on the Teaching Council website state that I have to spend 3 months in the Gaeltacht/Spain before registering with the council. I was just wondering when do you have to register? Is before or after doing the PGDE? If it's after, could I finish the course, go do the time and register afterwards or do you have to register as soon as you're qualified?
    Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

tomissex wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do the PGDE next year with Irish and Spanish. The regualtions on the Teaching Council website state that I have to spend 3 months in the Gaeltacht/Spain before registering with the council. I was just wondering when do you have to register? Is before or after doing the PGDE? If it's after, could I finish the course, go do the time and register afterwards or do you have to register as soon as you're qualified?

You register after completing the PGDE / PDE (new name). You need to register in order to get a TC number which employers will look for when hiring you. You will be conditionally registered when you complete the PDE until you complete 300 hours of teaching over the following 3 years - during this conditional period you can also make up any shortfalls you may have (i'm assuming this means you can make up that time in the areas you mentioned during this time).

You should just fire off an e-mail to the TC just in case i'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

tomissex wrote: »
    It is generally assumed that the 3 months in the Gaeltacht or Spain are part of your degree. Have you spent time in either during your degree?

It is generally assumed that the 3 months in the Gaeltacht or Spain are part of your degree. Have you spent time in either during your degree?

Yeah I've done both but neither department demanded proof. I'm hoping that I can get written confirmation from each but if I can't, I just wanted to know how much time I'd have to do it again.

The TC won't look for proof that you've done it. If you've done it, you've done it. I teach Irish and was never asked for proof.

The TC won't look for proof that you've done it. If you've done it, you've done it. I teach Irish and was never asked for proof.

Oh really? The special regulations for languages say you have to give "officially certified evidence". That's why I was wondering! Thanks so much for that, such a relief to know. Thanks again!

• Advertisement

Well if the time spent in Spain/the Gaeltacht is part of your degree and the TC have recognised your degree to teach Spanish and Irish then they will know based on their evaluation of the course that the special regulations have been met. As I said, no one ever asked me for proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aoifem1987

Hi,

I'm hoping to do a H dip so I can do secondary teaching, my subjects would be Accounting and Business but I wouldnt have the points to go through the PAC system as I only got a 2.2 in my final year. Do you need teaching experience to apply for trinity? I have done voluntary maths grinds to a group of six for last years school year and I also spent three months teaching english in south africa but Im not sure if these would stand to me?

I dont know much about the DCU part time degree but I have heard that it is more for teachers who have been in a school for years but want to go back and get a qualification. Not sure how easy it would be for me to do this and also get some experience in a school for an hour or two each week?

Is the distant learning course with Hibernia recognised at the same level as the rest of the h dips? as that would suit me best but I dont want to waste my time if I cant get a job from it.

I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 samwich27

Hi all. I want to do a PGDE/PCE in Geography and Spanish (my undergrad subjects). I received a 2:1 but as regards geography I chose mainly human geography modules throughout my 4 years. How many physical geography credits do I need? does anyone know from experience or will I have to fork out 200 quid to have the teaching council verify my modules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 joaneire

They don't check your modules, it's your degree. If you've done joint honours in Spanish and Geography, then you'll be fine. Geography in university is completely different to that in secondary school anyway - I only did one physical geography module, and it was mainly chemical anyway! Nightmare! Get ready to study JC Geography again!

joaneire wrote: »
    They don't check your modules, it's your degree. If you've done joint honours in Spanish and Geography, then you'll be fine. Geography in university is completely different to that in secondary school anyway - I only did one physical geography module, and it was mainly chemical anyway! Nightmare! Get ready to study JC Geography again!

They do check your modules, for geography, as they want you to have roughly equal study done in human and physical geography.

They do check your modules, for geography, as they want you to have roughly equal study done in human and physical geography.

Well I have the diploma done and from what I remember, they never checked my modules...or at least never asked me to list my modules; I wasn't going to be able to remember all the modules I had done anyway. I had done joint honours and I think that was enough for them. As I said already, I did one physical geography module, and that was all that was on offer on the course, and it was in no way related to physical geography at Junior or Senior level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 xlami90

Just wondering is it essential to obtain a 2.1 to get accepted. or if you miss out on the 2.1 would you get in with a masters + degree?

xlami90 wrote: »
    Just wondering is it essential to obtain a 2.1 to get accepted. or if you miss out on the 2.1 would you get in with a masters + degree?

It's based on a points system, much the same as the Leaving Cert. Check www.pac.ie for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

I have contacted the Teaching Council 2 weeks ago and not yet have they got back to me.

Would it be worth e-mailing them again? Maybe ring them?

It's in relation to my Joint Major Geography and Archaeology and whether I'd be able to teach history (JC higher) along with Geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dave011

I wonder could someone give me some advise, I am currently studying part time in BA Accounting&Finance, I am just wondering, would this be enough for entry into the Hdip, the course i am doing is part time at night, would this have any barrier for applying, because its part time. The course is on the list.

• Advertisement

dave011 wrote: »
    I wonder could someone give me some advise, I am currently studying part time in BA Accounting&Finance, I am just wondering, would this be enough for entry into the Hdip, the course i am doing is part time at night, would this have any barrier for applying, because its part time. The course is on the list.

No, once you have the B.A done, and it's recognised then you can gain entry with it. Be aware that business related degrees are mostly subject to the higher points criteria. Info on the PAC website.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dave011

No, once you have the B.A done, and it's recognised then you can gain entry with it. Be aware that business related degrees are mostly subject to the higher points criteria. Info on the PAC website.

Thanks a million for your reply. I will check out the info on the PAC website and see what points are required. Just wanted to be sure part time courses were covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 123abcm

Hi!
    I'm just filling out the online form and was just wondering, you know the bit about actual result in primary degree and then you have the three options, how do you know which one to tick? I attended UCC so i got my result as 2.1. I should probably know this but I can't remember ha! Thanks

123abcm wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm just filling out the online form and was just wondering, you know the bit about actual result in primary degree and then you have the three options, how do you know which one to tick? I attended UCC so i got my result as 2.1. I should probably know this but I can't remember ha! Thanks

I put 2.1 in the first bit. Then I selected "% mark" out of the three and put my actual grade in the box which I got in a breakdown of results from one of my subjects' departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 123abcm

Thanks! I might just work out the % myself and put that in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ben0507

Hey I'm in the middle of applying for Trinity here but does anybody know if the two letters of reference are just two of these forms filled out??? http://www.pac.ie//pgrad/downloads/TCD_PGDE_Reference_Form.pdf
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I was looking at the points required for business related degrees.

I think it says that I must get a minimum of 78% in all of my modules in order to get 51 points. Is this correct?
    http://www.pac.ie//pdeinfo/PointsCalc.php?inst=pe

It also says that I need 52 points to be accepted, but the most that can be awarded for the degree is 51 points. How do I get the other one or two points?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

A masters or professional experience in some capacity are the way to gain extra points.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    A masters or professional experience in some capacity are the way to gain extra points.

So the only way to get in with a business subject is to do a masters or have experience? Is there no way to just go straight from Undergrad to PGDE?

• Advertisement

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    So the only way to get in with a business subject is to do a masters or have experience? Is there no way to just go straight from Undergrad to PGDE?

Could I apply using the normal non business points?

Im studying finance and economics in NUIM. This is on the list of business degrees (I think, well it just says Finance, but for some reason different places call the degree different things.) But I have taken the Major/Minor Route, this should mean that the course codes would be different (not sure though.)

As my minor subject is Geography and takes up 33.33% of my degree could I apply with that for my points?

Advertisement