Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Could I apply using the normal non business points?

Im studying finance and economics in NUIM. This is on the list of business degrees (I think, well it just says Finance, but for some reason different places call the degree different things.) But I have taken the Major/Minor Route, this should mean that the course codes would be different (not sure though.)

As my minor subject is Geography and takes up 33.33% of my degree could I apply with that for my points?

It's not so much the subjects, but rather the course code that determines whether you fall into the quota or not. For example, I can teach Economics and JC Business because my degree was Arts (MH101 I think) so I was exempt. There's a list on the PAC so you should find out exactly what degree you will receive and match it against the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kimchi99

Im looking for advice

Im already recognised to teach geography and english as a second language by teaching council. Based upon my degree and a CELTA. Im registered with them. I am currently teaching fetac level 5 courses in tourism and in local history to adults with a VEC, this however is only 2 days a week and I cant support my family with it.

I am thniking of doing the pgde...Ive applied for it anyway in galway, but it costs 6,500 or so....which I dont have at the mo....
    Anyway should I do it?

I also have an MA (2 years research) in Sociology/Geography.This however has not been assesed by the TC.I was thinking it would be useful at least for teaching SPCE (CIVICS) Any opinions??

My Degree is in Heritage studies (GMIT) the TC will only recognise that to teach geography.
    Can my MA be put to any use? i.e used as another subject

Hindsight is a great thing, I should have done my HDIP when I finished the degree, but I was offered a scholorship to do research. I did it and got my MA, but now alas cant get funding for my pgde (hdip)

I also have 5 years lecturing experience. 2 in English, 3 in Environmental Studies at a University in South Korea.
    I have almost 10 years teaching experience and tutoring.

Do I need to go back and do this pgde?
    Will i be able to add another subject to my geography?? or will the pgde only allow you to teach in your recognised area? (If so I dont really see the point)

My Rant;
    Its frustrating for me, I got an A1 in honours history for the leaving, have been teaching local history for nearly 3 years now for vec. I really wish the TC would make exceptions, but with so much union control in Ireland I guess that wont happen. I would gladly let anyone asses and supervise my class for as long as they wished. I would gladly hand in samples of work etc....lesson plans whatever was needed. Why cant we do something similar to what they do in the UK where you can get a recognised qualification "on site" rather than having to go back for a year to do this pgde....
    Any ideas on what I should do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pjfogarty

kimchi99 wrote: »
    Im looking for advice

Im already recognised to teach geography and english as a second language by teaching council. Based upon my degree and a CELTA. Im registered with them. I am currently teaching fetac level 5 courses in tourism and in local history to adults with a VEC, this however is only 2 days a week and I cant support my family with it.

I am thniking of doing the pgde...Ive applied for it anyway in galway, but it costs 6,500 or so....which I dont have at the mo....
    Anyway should I do it?

I also have an MA (2 years research) in Sociology/Geography.This however has not been assesed by the TC.I was thinking it would be useful at least for teaching SPCE (CIVICS) Any opinions??

My Degree is in Heritage studies (GMIT) the TC will only recognise that to teach geography.

Hindsight is a great thing, I should have done my HDIP when I finished the degree, but I was offered a scholorship to do research. I did it and got my MA, but now alas cant get funding for my pgde (hdip)

I also have 5 years lecturing experience. 2 in English, 3 in Environmental Studies at a University in South Korea.
    I have almost 10 years teaching experience and tutoring.

Will i be able to add another subject to my geography?? or will the pgde only allow you to teach in your recognised area? (If so I dont really see the point)

My Rant;
    Its frustrating for me, I got an A1 in honours history for the leaving, have been teaching local history for nearly 3 years now for vec. I really wish the TC would make exceptions, but with so much union control in Ireland I guess that wont happen. I would gladly let anyone asses and supervise my class for as long as they wished. I would gladly hand in samples of work etc....lesson plans whatever was needed. Why cant we do something similar to what they do in the UK where you can get a recognised qualification "on site" rather than having to go back for a year to do this pgde....

Only option i reckon is to either do the full time hdip or work whilst doing the part time hdip in DCU.You will never get a teaching contract of any sort without the dip in ed.Hibernia are starting one also.

Only option i reckon is to either do the full time hdip or work whilst doing the part time hdip in DCU.You will never get a teaching contract of any sort without the dip in ed.Hibernia are starting one also.

Will I be able to gain an extra subject when doing the dip?
    or will I only have geography?
    any idea of where I can get some help for the fees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pjfogarty

Will I be able to gain an extra subject when doing the dip?
    or will I only have geography?
    any idea of where I can get some help for the fees?

You cant gain an extra subject but you will have to take another subject on board just to learn the pedagogy(prob spelt wrong).With fees,i think for the full time dip a grant is available but for part time you must fund yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sarahb82

If you have done any kind of postgraduate study, e.g. Masters PhD etc, you are not entitled to any form of grant. In order to be eligible for a grant you need to be seen to be increasing you level on the fetac scale and the PDE is not above the level of these postgraduate qualifications. It's unfortunate but thats the way it is. I found out the hard way trying to apply for funding myself after I decided to go back to the the PDE after completing my PhD as there were no jobs in my subject area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 theboardtalk

Just finished an Engineering degree which the TC website says I can teach Maths and Applied Maths with and am considering doing a PDE.

I feel like I could do with another subject to teach though so I would be more employable and get more hours etc.

Do I have to do another degree to teach another subject or can I do a HDip or something for a year in that subject

OR

Could I get a job as a teacher and start teaching another subject once im in the door of the school?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Im looking for advice

My Rant;

You masters will not count towards any subject recognition. It is undergrad degrees only as far as I know. So as it stands it seems you are only going to be recognised to teach geography.

The PGDE wont give you any further recognition for other subjects.

I found it a bit amusing that you blame the unions for not allowing you to teach history as you got an A1 in it in the leaving. Why would you think that would make you able to teach history?

The whole point of the hdip is that you submit lesson plans and get assessed in class and do additional study. You must do it to be a recognised teacher in Ireland.

I found it a bit amusing that you blame the unions for not allowing you to teach history as you got an A1 in it in the leaving. Why would you think that would make you able to teach history?

Perhaps I didnt make myself clear enough. I dont blame the unions for not letting me teach history because I got an A1 in the leaving no....dont be silly.

I blame the Unions for protecting teachers who are simply not up to the job. Simply becuase you get the dip/pgde shouldnt mean you can teach for life. Teaching should be regulated like any other industry, on an ongoing basis. If you are not up to the job you should be out. From my own experince and from what i have seen with some of my kids teachers there are plenty of teachers who still arent upto the job.
    it is a difficult job and an importnat one and so should be staffed by the best people.
    How many teachers do you know have been let go because of incompetancy? very very few.....let go for other reasons perhaps but not for being upto the job. The average incompetancy level in other industires is around 20%. Is the teacher training that good that it has an almost 0% incompetancy rate??

Once a teacher is in a postion barring a major major fk up they are in for life....that shouldnt be the case in my opinion. There should be regular checks and assesments of teaching quality and lesson plans.
    When I worked in South Korea at one of the largest Univerities there, we had regular checks and assesments from students and superiors. There was a leauge table produced and if you finsihed in the bottom 3 (below a certain point average) you were placed on probation. If you stayed in the bottom 3 for the next 3 semesters you were out. I got promoted after good assesments to assistant professor, and was asked to design my own courses. I would have stayed but family reasons brought me back home.

Im annoyed with the unions for putting so much red tape in the way. I have 10 years of experience, in Unviersites and with adult education. I have studied various teaching methodologies myself. I have an MA which took 2 years of research. I have learned an enourmous amount through working in education aswell as through living and working on 3 different contients.
    Yet all this counts for nothing, when I seek a permanent teaching positon in a school here in Ireland. I have been told I need to do the PDE so now I need to go and try and find 6,500 to pay for this course, I dont have it.
    Im sure I will pick up somethings by doing it, I very much believe that education is a journey not a destination, but I am really really pissed that all I have done counts for nada ....the reason why is the Unions and the Union supported Teaching Council.
    Can you share or appreciate my frustration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Perhaps I didnt make myself clear enough. I dont blame the unions for not letting me teach history because I got an A1 in the leaving no....dont be silly.

I blame the Unions for protecting teachers who are simply not up to the job. Simply becuase you get the dip/pgde shouldnt mean you can teach for life. Teaching should be regulated like any other industry, on an ongoing basis. If you are not up to the job you should be out. From my own experince and from what i have seen with some of my kids teachers there are plenty of teachers who still arent upto the job.
    it is a difficult job and an importnat one and so should be staffed by the best people.
    How many teachers do you know have been let go because of incompetancy? very very few.....let go for other reasons perhaps but not for being upto the job. The average incompetancy level in other industires is around 20%. Is the teacher training that good that it has an almost 0% incompetancy rate??

Once a teacher is in a postion barring a major major fk up they are in for life....that shouldnt be the case in my opinion. There should be regular checks and assesments of teaching quality and lesson plans.
    When I worked in South Korea at one of the largest Univerities there, we had regular checks and assesments from students and superiors. There was a leauge table produced and if you finsihed in the bottom 3 (below a certain point average) you were placed on probation. If you stayed in the bottom 3 for the next 3 semesters you were out. I got promoted after good assesments to assistant professor, and was asked to design my own courses. I would have stayed but family reasons brought me back home.

Im annoyed with the unions for putting so much red tape in the way. I have 10 years of experience, in Unviersites and with adult education. I have studied various teaching methodologies myself. I have an MA which took 2 years of research. I have learned an enourmous amount through working in education aswell as through living and working on 3 different contients.
    Yet all this counts for nothing, when I seek a permanent teaching positon in a school here in Ireland. I have been told I need to do the PDE so now I need to go and try and find 6,500 to pay for this course, I dont have it.
    Im sure I will pick up somethings by doing it, I very much believe that education is a journey not a destination, but I am really really pissed that all I have done counts for nada ....the reason why is the Unions and the Union supported Teaching Council.
    Can you share or appreciate my frustration?

To be honest, I'd say there are very few teachers who get through the current PGDE (at least the one I did) that could be considered 'incompetent'. Enthusiasm might wane I guess but anybody who gets through the course is essentially fit to teach. After that, it's up to that individual to do their best to keep up with technological and pedagogical advances made over their time in the job. There's a big difference between spectacular teachers and 'incompetents'; those that are inbetween sometimes get referred to as the latter.

We have checks. They're called inspections. And there's more of them these days than ever before. With regards to regulation, I'd agree with you to an extent. Odds are you'll get your wish after 2014 if the rumours of a Teaching Council 'war-chest' are to be believed! Interesting though that you mention how teachers in Korea are assessed by their students? I think that would present problems over here since a good teacher is not necessarily a 'liked' teacher. Slight conflict of interests there when discipline is a requisite!

Nice that you get promotions in Korea. In my understanding, teachers have 2 promotions available thanks to the moratorium- Principal or Deputy Principal. I doubt there's all that much competition for them however; I personally couldn't think of a job I'd want less.

Finally, although I sympathise with you, the fact is even though you are very qualified in a lot of areas, teaching at second level is not yet one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 thebadseeds

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for information on getting the PGDE in England or Scotland and if I'd have to do anything after to become qualified to teach in Ireland. Any help would be really appreciated ;)

To be honest, I'd say there are very few teachers who get through the current PGDE (at least the one I did) that could be considered 'incompetent'. Enthusiasm might wane I guess but anybody who gets through the course is essentially fit to teach. After that, it's up to that individual to do their best to keep up with technological and pedagogical advances made over their time in the job. There's a big difference between spectacular teachers and 'incompetents'; those that are inbetween sometimes get referred to as the latter.

We have checks. They're called inspections. And there's more of them these days than ever before. With regards to regulation, I'd agree with you to an extent. Odds are you'll get your wish after 2014 if the rumours of a Teaching Council 'war-chest' are to be believed! Interesting though that you mention how teachers in Korea are assessed by their students? I think that would present problems over here since a good teacher is not necessarily a 'liked' teacher. Slight conflict of interests there when discipline is a requisite!

Nice that you get promotions in Korea. In my understanding, teachers have 2 promotions available thanks to the moratorium- Principal or Deputy Principal. I doubt there's all that much competition for them however; I personally couldn't think of a job I'd want less.

Finally, although I sympathise with you, the fact is even though you are very qualified in a lot of areas, teaching at second level is not yet one of them.

I had a long ans but somehow managed to delete it...arghhh

1. I agree, being assesed by students is not ideal and popular teachers are often not the best and vice versa, but surley leaving certs or post leaving certs should be allowed to give feedback through a regulated forum. If an issue is highlighted let the teacher in question be "inspected".

2. While you say we have "inspectors" how often do they inspect?
    With cutbacks coming surley the number of inspectors will go down.
    How many teachers do you know have been fired by an inspector?

Have you seen the Panoram doc on the UK in relation to teaching?
    While some of the findings may be extreme; can we say that in Ireland we have no problems at all? Id only be too delighted if everything were honkey dorey but I fear in some situations it is not....

4. The vast majority of teachers in ireland are good teachers but can we put hand on heart and say all are?
    Enthusiasm is not everything when it comes to teaching and even the most enthusiastic teacher can be inefectual when it comes to wheher learning is actually taking place.

5. While you point out that Im not qualified to teach at 2nd level, technically thats not true. I am recognised and registered by the teaching council to teach geogrpahy based upon my degree, and I have done. While this may only be in vec run schools it is a joke that my MA or 10 years of experience count for nothing.(hence my current madness.....and typing non stop on forums)

6. Finally there are lots of young properly qualified teachers out there, (im not one...im pushing on to 40, nor am I "properly" qualified)
    these people deserve a chance. It is simply not good enough that they have to wait for people to retire to free up positions in the system. Our education system is good but lets be honest its not great. If we dont implement a proper monitoring and assesment system which has real powers we are going to loose a lot of good teachers abroad, and we are going to keep a lot of teachers who are not up to the task.What effect will this have on our students?
    Who will benefit?
    Ive been abroad, I have seen this first hand numerous properly qualified people orking in international schools etc and that was before the current crisis, it will get worse.

If your going to do the PGDE (im still undecided due to financial issues) I think you will have to be prepared to go abroad. If you do, you will need to be really at the races as you will be compeating for jobs from teachers from all over the world. You will be properly inspected....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I had a long ans but somehow managed to delete it...arghhh

1. I agree, being assesed by students is not ideal and popular teachers are often not the best and vice versa, but surley leaving certs or post leaving certs should be allowed to give feedback through a regulated forum. If an issue is highlighted let the teacher in question be "inspected".

2. While you say we have "inspectors" how often do they inspect?
    With cutbacks coming surley the number of inspectors will go down.
    How many teachers do you know have been fired by an inspector?

Have you seen the Panoram doc on the UK in relation to teaching?
    While some of the findings may be extreme; can we say that in Ireland we have no problems at all? Id only be too delighted if everything were honkey dorey but I fear in some situations it is not....

4. The vast majority of teachers in ireland are good teachers but can we put hand on heart and say all are?
    Enthusiasm is not everything when it comes to teaching and even the most enthusiastic teacher can be inefectual when it comes to wheher learning is actually taking place.

5. While you point out that Im not qualified to teach at 2nd level, technically thats not true. I am recognised and registered by the teaching council to teach geogrpahy based upon my degree, and I have done. While this may only be in vec run schools it is a joke that my MA or 10 years of experience count for nothing.(hence my current madness.....and typing non stop on forums)

6. Finally there are lots of young properly qualified teachers out there, (im not one...im pushing on to 40, nor am I "properly" qualified)
    these people deserve a chance. It is simply not good enough that they have to wait for people to retire to free up positions in the system. Our education system is good but lets be honest its not great. If we dont implement a proper monitoring and assesment system which has real powers we are going to loose a lot of good teachers abroad, and we are going to keep a lot of teachers who are not up to the task.What effect will this have on our students?
    Who will benefit?
    Ive been abroad, I have seen this first hand numerous properly qualified people orking in international schools etc and that was before the current crisis, it will get worse.

If your going to do the PGDE (im still undecided due to financial issues) I think you will have to be prepared to go abroad. If you do, you will need to be really at the races as you will be compeating for jobs from teachers from all over the world. You will be properly inspected....

Not sure how this has turned from being screwed by the Teaching Council (which we all have been to at least the tune of 90e a year!) to criticising the inspectorate but I'll play along...

1) What you're suggesting is not vastly different to ratemyteacher.com and I'd be very concerned as to how seriously students, even seniors, would take or be able to take the facility. Apathy would be significant (I, for instance, have never used it despite finding a number of my own teachers open to attack!) to start off with and thereafter, the amount of students who butcher teachers over silly disagreements would way outnumber genuinely constructive criticism. I base that on the reviews from my own school and although you may believe I'm biased in this regard, I know what a good teacher is and it's ridiculously easy to see when a student's criticism is misplaced.

2) There are now four different types of inspections and considering the most recent one was introduced in November, it would appear to me that the inspectorate is one of the very few areas left in education that is actively being invested in! My school has had at least one a year from 2008 and I'd say the national rate is at least once every 2 years. With the incidentals, this is likely to increase. To answer your question, I don't know any teacher that's been fired as a result of an inspection. Again, I'd expect that to change after 2014.

3) Haven't seen that documentary and don't know what it's about but you'll forgive me for dismissing anything from the disastrous English education system that's supposed to represent an improvement on our own. I don't have exact figures, but I'd be fairly confident the number of teachers that quit the job after only a few years in England is amongst the highest in Europe.

4) I agree with you to an extent, but maintain that any teacher that has completed the current version of the PGDE is and probably always will be competent. Enthusiasm or major discipline difficulties and the mental scar tissue that can result is therefore the only possible explanation for a serious decline in performance.

5) I was under the belief that you had to have the PGDE to register with the Teaching Council. Open to correction on that one. Regardless, until you have done it, you will not be as qualified to teach as colleagues who have done it. Whether you believe you need it or not, you will come out of it a better teacher than when you went in.

6) I agree with you here, but you don't seem to realise that the reason teachers are emigrating has very little to do with 'incompetents' and everything to do with budget cuts. From a purely supply and demand perspective, we have as many kids as ever in this country. More teachers are needed, not less. I think, therefore, that your frustration is more than a little misdirected.

Well said above. Its nice to get a well thought out response, thank you.
    I do still think that students should have some say, perhaps an annonomous internet site is not the best way.

It will be interesting to see how the new inspections pan out. I would however like to see stats on results of inspections and actions taken etc....

I do agree that UK is probably worse than here but I would reccomend checking out the doc anyway, some interesting stuff.

4 and 5 I agree, I said before that I think I would benefit from it, I dont believe education is a destination but a journey. I would do it tommorow except for the 6 1/2 grand which I dont have to pay. Its tougher now with 2 kids and one on the way.
    Im not knocking the PGDE, far from it. Im just a little dismayed at the way my experience and qualifications have been assesed by the TC, I find it unfair and unjust.

I stand corrected and perhaps my frustration is misguided, I am glad you are of the philosophy that more teachers are needed, I only hope powers that be agree.We have to invest in education if we are to climb out of the mess we are in now. If we were all better educated perhaps this wouldnt have happened.....(big therotical debate here, ill not go into)

Finally, I know I need the PGDE to be fully recognised, but that is not the case within the VEC sector. I am registered to teach geography because of my BA.(this may change in the future tho)
    Im just quiffed that an MA I did which was an education in itself, one which focused upon social structures and societal change counts for nothing. It should at the least count for SDP (or whatever name civics has now). It was 2 years of research on our society and how it works, surely in this day and age that should count for something.
    Also 10 years in adult ed and University (abroad) sector should give me some credance as an educator.To only have my BA count is ridiculous.

Thanks above person for taking the time in writng a well structred and argued piece, I appreciate that.
    Keep on truckin......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

The closing date for applications has passed hasn't it? Do I have any other options? There isn't an even later closing date I suppose?:(
    Is there any other teaching courses I can do? Do you need a PGDE to teach in VEC's. I see someone else mentioned earlier that they teach in a VEC without the PGDE.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The closing date for applications has passed hasn't it? Do I have any other options? There isn't an even later closing date I suppose?:(
    Is there any other teaching courses I can do? Do you need a PGDE to teach in VEC's. I see someone else mentioned earlier that they teach in a VEC without the PGDE.

There is a later closing date. But I believe that has passed too. You could still probably apply to England.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

dory wrote: »
    There is a later closing date. But I believe that has passed too. You could still probably apply to England.

Thanks dory. I often wonder about people who go to England to study, be it at undergrad or postgrad level. How do these people support themselves, apart from the fees etc.Indeed the fees are quite expensive over there aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

Thanks dory. I often wonder about people who go to England to study, be it at undergrad or postgrad level. How do these people support themselves, apart from the fees etc.Indeed the fees are quite expensive over there aren't they?

Fees over there are rising for the coming year to around £9000 for almost every university. You are however eligible for a loan to cover the full cost of the fees as long as you are an EU student.
    Depending on which subject PGCE you are applying for, and the result of your undergraduate degree, you could be eligible for a tax free bursary to cover some or all of your living expenses.
    I'm heading to England in September to do a Maths PGCE - mainly because I'm eligible for a bursary of £15000. I didn't bother applying here as there is just no way I could have afforded it, even if I moved back to live with my parents and cut all my other costs to the absolute minimum.

Does anyone know if people doing the dip can get personal leave? Does it depend on the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I think it probably is down to the school. When I was doing mine last year the school had no problem with me missing a few days teaching practice when I had some family stuff. I know one of the lads took a few days when he got married! We were just told we had to make sure our inspectors knew if we weren't going to be in school!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

hi all, i really need some good advice regarding my career , at present I have an exercice science degree from the states recognised by the TC but no HDip , i applied twice for Limerick but I failed the interviews .Is there any other option to do my hdip? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciara471

Hi,

I'm hopefully doing this course in Cork in September and I've a few questions if anyone could help me out.
    - Firstly, does anyone know when we find out if we got into the course or not?
    - Secondly, I assume it's not appropriate to go applying for teaching practice before you find out if you got the course or not, am I correct in assuming this?
    - Also, what's the best way to apply - post a C.V. and cover letter/ring the schools/call in to the schools?
    - And lastly, is there a list of schools in each place that take on PGDE students?
    Cheers for any answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

Ciara471 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm hopefully doing this course in Cork in September and I've a few questions if anyone could help me out.
    - Firstly, does anyone know when we find out if we got into the course or not?
    - Secondly, I assume it's not appropriate to go applying for teaching practice before you find out if you got the course or not, am I correct in assuming this?
    - Also, what's the best way to apply - post a C.V. and cover letter/ring the schools/call in to the schools?
    - And lastly, is there a list of schools in each place that take on PGDE students?
    Cheers for any answers!

1. April (as far as I can remember!)
    2. I started applying the day I accepted the place.....schools go really fast so make sure you're on the ball with this! I'm not sure about Cork (I'm in Maynooth) there may be a radius limit in how far away from the college you can go (check the college course page on the UCC website it may give you some info on this)
    3. I sent letters and emails to lots of schools. Emails were responded to quite quick, letter responses were quite slow. Also, don't panic if you haven't heard from somewhere for ages....the school I'm in now didn't contact me for 3 weeks after I contacted them!
    4. Again, I'm not sure about Cork but anyone else I know doing courses in other colleges got a list of schools in the area sent out to them. It'd be good if you made a list of schools yourself though because I noticed a lot of schools in the radius limit thingy weren't on the list provided by the college!

Good Luck!:)

I'm doing the course in Cork right now. I don't remember getting a list but that may have been because I had already decided to do it in my old school so I may have not paid much attention to a list.

I think it's 30 mile the radius is. I know people in Bandon and Youghal so it's far enough.

I applied to the school before the offers were out because I knew from my grades that I would get in. If you have a first class honors degree and/or a masters you can be sure you'll get in.

Does anyone who has done the Dip before know - what happens to the teaching file at the end of the year? I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone.

I have a few gaps going back to October when I wasn't all that organized. Do I need to go back and plug those holes? Just wondering because some people say we don't hand it up for correction and others say we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Has anyone done it in the UK?
    Is the selection process easier or more difficult?

Does anybody know when PAC release information on whether or not we got a place in any of the colleges??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

dory wrote: »
    Does anyone who has done the Dip before know - what happens to the teaching file at the end of the year? I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone.

I have a few gaps going back to October when I wasn't all that organized. Do I need to go back and plug those holes? Just wondering because some people say we don't hand it up for correction and others say we do.

If I'm correct in assuming you are in UCC, then you definitely don't

If I'm correct in assuming you are in UCC, then you definitely don't

Great, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 setlikejelly

The PAC give out offers in April.

Advertisement