Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 setlikejelly

Does anybody know when PAC release information on whether or not we got a place in any of the colleges??
    The PAC give out offers in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Packaging

hi i am just wondering did anyone get a call for an interview\ test in Galway for the H.dip through Irish????

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Yep i got the same call! Exam and Interview on same day. the times for the interview will be given out closer to the time. Hopefully it will be easy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Packaging

Have u any tips for it what should I be at?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Packaging wrote: »
    Have u any tips for it what should I be at?

I would just go over basic grammer rules and all that. The grammer question from last year's sample paper was all based on Tuiseal Ginideach and focail baininscneach and firinscneach and clásal coibhneasta and all. The Reading question, just read irish, the essay should be pretty topical.

And for the interview, i just picked my topic and just practiced that. I do hope though that we have the choice of the topic and that is it...and not that they will just pick one of them for us to speak about on that day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 SCRIBBLERDEE

Hi everyone, I want to pursue a career as an art teacher its what Iv always wanted to do. However in my final year of college studying ceramic design my lecturer advised me on my final year project. From this I never grasped my concept as I was constantly being told my concept should be about such and such a thing. I regret it so much as I should have stood up for myself and done what I wanted, having got on really well the previous year. Each week my lecturer would say my concept was wrong, I worked so so hard in my final year as she had barely passed me in semester one. As a result to my amazement after being praised on my work by everyone I only received a third class honors degree. I spoke to lecturers but had no luck they were adamant with my result saying my concept was wrong but work ethic was really high. Is my chance of pursuing a dip in art education gone? I'm currently waiting to take part in a TEFL course and a first aid course to add to my CV, is their any extra courses that would help me too?? I'm shadowing an art teacher at the moment and also organizing art classes for children and taking part in a youth club. Please any advice would be great, thanks in advance. I also thought about emailing my lecturer asking for a letter of recommendation on my work ethic as she said if I was being marked on my dedication and commitment to the year my mark would be really high, I'm so disgusted and don't know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 paddypajarro

hello all, i didnt want to start a new thread so hopefully someone can help me out with a little query.

I hold my BA in History and Sociology.

I live out of the country and for work prospects where I am, I´m planning to do an online Masters in Education with the Open University later this year.

I´d like to have the opportunity to teach back home in the future and so am interested to know if there would be the possibility of combining the MA with something that would qualify me to teach in Ireland such as the PGDE.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Hopefully the place for it...

Can someone who is currently doing the PDE in any of the colleges bar UCC send me a quick pm. I want to get an opinion on something that has come up regularly and would like to know if the opinion is held across the board.

Thanks,

Gubbie
    UCC PDE student

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

gubbie wrote: »
    Hopefully the place for it...

Can someone who is currently doing the PDE in any of the colleges bar UCC send me a quick pm. I want to get an opinion on something that has come up regularly and would like to know if the opinion is held across the board.

Thanks,

Gubbie
    UCC PDE student

I'm also a PDE student in UCC. What has come up regularly? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cagefan

Hi,

I've applied to go back and train to be a teacher in chemistry and biology. I have a background in environmental science and a masters also. My question is - Do people out there know if there is a demand for NQT in these subject areas. My brother in law is a teacher and he believes there is...I just want an extra opinion!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

There are little or no longterm jobs in any subject at the moment unfortunately. That's unlikely to change anytime soon with education cuts. Even during the boom the average time a teacher waited for permanency/CID irc at second level was 7 years. I woudl say this is much worse now. Most of these teahers who are waiting are on very reduced contract hours eg in my school there are four teachers who sit around me in the work area. I'm on the most hours 16/22. The rest filter down from 12hrs (half pay) to in one case 5 hrs a week. Do not go into this thinking it will be in anyways easy to find a job. And just to point out we are all qualified more than three years with excellent qualifications but this is the reality at second level

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

cagefan wrote: »
    Hi,

I've applied to go back and train to be a teacher in chemistry and biology. I have a background in environmental science and a masters also. My question is - Do people out there know if there is a demand for NQT in these subject areas. My brother in law is a teacher and he believes there is...I just want an extra opinion!!

Undoubtedly a demand exists for your subjects but there is a far greater supply of qualified teachers and thats unlikely to change within the next 5 years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

cagefan wrote: »
    Hi,

In the UCC dip this year there are a lot of people with that combo. Lots of people who worked in industry and were let go. So there'll be a fair supply of teachers for those subjects and I can't see there being the same demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Musicluver

I've just spent the last hour looking for the right question/answer so I apologize if I've missed it.
    I received notification about an interview with Trinity for the PDE with Music :)
    Can I get any opinions/tips on what may be asked/expected in the interview?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mr_october

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mr_october

mr_october wrote: »

and share with as many people as possible!!!!! Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 El Neilo

Need some advice lads.
    My degree is in music and english and recognized by TC.
    I dont have the points for the NUI's and so im looking at doing the Gded music in UL.
    Just wondering does this mean i would only be qualified to teach music?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

Hi El Neilo,

You could possibly be qualified in both, as long as your second subject is not on the list of subjects that require you to have completed subject-specific pedagogy. I don't know if English is one of them? There's a list on the teaching council website somewhere but I can't find it, will try and track it down for you. You would be encouraged to attend some of the classes if your second subject was also offered in the UL PDE, but not sure what your situation would be as they don't have English. However I'm not 100% on any of this, so probably best to contact the college to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Alqua wrote: »
    Hi El Neilo,

You could possibly be qualified in both, as long as your second subject is not on the list of subjects that require you to have completed subject-specific pedagogy. I don't know if English is one of them? There's a list on the teaching council website somewhere but I can't find it, will try and track it down for you. You would be encouraged to attend some of the classes if your second subject was also offered in the UL PDE, but not sure what your situation would be as they don't have English. However I'm not 100% on any of this, so probably best to contact the college to be sure!

No, English doesn't need subject-specific pedagogy so as far as I'm aware it is your degree that determines what you can teach, not your teaching qualification (Dip).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Hi all, would really appreciate some advice on the following:

I recently was invited to 2 interviews for Higher Diplomas in Post-Primary Education, one in Dublin City University (D.C.U) and the other in Hibernia College. Both are 2 year, part time courses, however Hibernia lectures are done online and D.C.U's are done in classrooms. I received word from D.C.U that I have been put on a waiting list and a couple of days later I was formally offered a place on the Hibernia course. My preferred course would be the D.C.U one because there are more of the teachers in my school that have done it/are doing it and also I would have more interaction/help with lecturers and it is a more established course. So the questions I have are:

- Has anyone done/are doing the Hibernia or DCU course and what they think of it?

- Should I hope for the best and wait to see if I get offered a place by DCU in their second round offers in April (have to give word to Hibernia by Friday 9th March) or be brave and accept the Hibernia place?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Tracy Jacks

Hi,

I can see from earlier posts that last year people received their PGDE offers on 1st April. Do they come out at the same time every year?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 yellowlor

hi, just wondering when are this years offers out? i thought they were out today? also do you get notified if you dont get it aswell? thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

yellowlor wrote: »
    hi, just wondering when are this years offers out? i thought they were out today? also do you get notified if you dont get it aswell? thanks :)

I would assume it's tomorrow as it's a working day. You will be emailed to see your application status has changed (i.e. either way you find out).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

I received my offer last Tuesday March 27th so they are early enough!

Congrats on getting your place but I wonder does that mean I'm getting bad news. No sign of any decision on the PAC website yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lillyman

Havent heard anything either :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 yellowlor

i havent heard anything yet either :O but we find out either way anyway :O

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mdbatches

I havnt heard anything either, couldnt sleep a wink last night thinking theyd be out today!

but... I was checking my application status a while ago it was as normal and when I went to check it a few minutes ago they had taken away the option to check it. I presume this means something is happening soon...

Fingers crossed for you all! :)

I just got an offer of a place in Maynooth. I am so delighted! Good luck to everyone else, fingers crossed for ye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 mdbatches

I GOT GALWAY! WOOOOO!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement