Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lync12

Same here, I got an offer from UCD and then Trinity today. Can't believe it! Decision time now. Location wise, Trinity would probably suit me better but I don't want that to be my only reason for choosing. Anyone got any opinions on the two courses......just trying to weigh up the pros and cons...??

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mr.BA

Does anyone know what offer I have been made from Trinity PDE (Geography)? Am I in the course or what??
    ''Congratulations. Your application has been successful and you are now offered a place as an EU fee paying student on this course. This offer will be valid for 7 days only. Please note that upon acceptance of this offer you will be required to pay a non-refundable deposit of €500, and will have 14 days to do so. Although we cannot offer you a place at present, we would like to place you on the Waitlist. If you agree to this, if a place does become available we will contact you; but this could be at any time up to the start of the PDE course in September.''

The I got this after I accepted it ''Your acceptance of a place on this course as an EU fee paying student is acknowledged. Information regarding fee payment is available at here. To secure your place, you are required to pay a non-refundable deposit of €500. This deposit is due within 14 days and can be paid through the e-payment fees system at http://epay.tcd.ie/direct . Once on this website, please follow the instructions provided. You will need your student number (PAC application number) to proceed through the system. It will be possible to make this payment through the e-payment system within two working days of receipt of this notification. If you accept the offer of a place it is assumed that you have read and understood the contents of the document `Information for Successful Applicants.pdf` available at http://www.tcd.ie/Education/courses/pde/successful-applicants-2012.pdf

Please help :)

I haven't accepted yet but I have no idea what that means or that they even do that!! Anyone else have any suggestions or seen this?

Lync12 wrote: »
    I haven't accepted yet but I have no idea what that means or that they even do that!! Anyone else have any suggestions or seen this?

What does yours say at the moment?

Also the one thing I really prefer UCD over Trinity is that UCD have their exams per semester whereas trinity have them at the end of the whole year!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 doconnell

Same here, I got an offer from UCD and then Trinity today. Can't believe it! Decision time now. Location wise, Trinity would probably suit me better but I don't want that to be my only reason for choosing. Anyone got any opinions on the two courses......just trying to weigh up the pros and cons...??

I did mine in UCD a few years ago..the big difference between the two is that you will be in school teaching every morning with UCD.Trinity had their teacher placements on Mon.Thurs. and Fri. I felt more in the thick of things being in school every day and found it easier to get to know the staff and students.As regards course content...no major differences there imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Galway Girl123

Mr.BA wrote: »
    Does anyone know what offer I have been made from Trinity PDE (Geography)? Am I in the course or what??
    ''Congratulations. Your application has been successful and you are now offered a place as an EU fee paying student on this course. This offer will be valid for 7 days only. Please note that upon acceptance of this offer you will be required to pay a non-refundable deposit of €500, and will have 14 days to do so. Although we cannot offer you a place at present, we would like to place you on the Waitlist. If you agree to this, if a place does become available we will contact you; but this could be at any time up to the start of the PDE course in September.''

It sounds like you've been placed on a waiting list and may receive an offer, but I don't know why they would expect you to pay the deposit unless you were definitely being offered a place! Sorry I couldn't be more help... You asked someone else what there's said, they haven't got back to you yet so here's what mine said:
    Congratulations. Your application has been successful and you are now offered a place as an EU fee paying student on this course. This offer will be valid for 7 days only. Please note that upon acceptance of this offer you will be required to pay a non-refundable deposit of €500, and will have 14 days to do so. If you accept the offer of a place it is assumed that you have read and understood the contents of the document `Information for Successful Applicants.pdf` available at http://www.tcd.ie/Education/courses/pde/successful-applicants-2012.pdf

Sorry folks......yeah mine said the same as Galway Girl 123, no word about a waiting list. I suppose it depends on the next round of offers and if all of first are accepted.

Are you guys waiting until after the Easter holidays to apply to schools for TP.....if you accept the course obviously?

I'm not too sure yet, I hope to have the CV's/emails sent out to the schools in the next few days, but have to decide whether to take Galway or Trinity first because in Galway the TP is in block so I could do it from home... Are you any closer to a decision Lync12? If you're leaning towards Trinity, I heard from other people doing interviews on the same day that competition was fierce, some people were already applying to schools even before they were offered a place...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

Hey,
    currently doing it in Trinity at the moment. I was in the same situation last year between Trinity and Maynooth. They both have pros and cons. For Trinity, that is not true about exams only in the summer as we had one just after Xmas and another one in May. Essays for Trinity are longer (from what I have heard compared to other colleges, although they could all change next year, who knows).

However, you are told about 3 out of 4 inspections (some subjects will tell you about your 4th), whereas UCD have 7 unannounced and I think Maynooth have something similar.

Congrats to all! The year isnt as bad as people make it sound...I actually really enjoyed it! My only advice is to get your teaching practise sorted ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

In Galway there is no examinations just Continuous Assessment. So it keeps you on your toes throughout the year.

The Teaching Practice is block and its 16 weeks, 5 before xmas, 6 weeks after xmas and then 6 weeks around now (I have three weeks after Easter)

I'd advise anyone doing the course to get a school now if possible. Don't worry if you don't have one in September as they will help you if you are really stuck!!

There are three visits and a fourth if you are border line grade (Never heard anyone get the fourth). In Galway the are trying a partner-school project where teachers in the school sit in every few weeks and give feedback to the Tutors. My school was a pilot school, I really enjoyed it!

Good Luck!!

Must get back to my reflections!!

This time next year you will know what I mean!! :P

Thanks for that Electoralshock! Does anyone have any idea how to find out which schools participate in the partner-schools program?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭n1ght28

ciaranrock wrote: »
    Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone knows why under the heading fees 2011-12 the h dip has 'year 1' and 'year 2' fee? I got offered UCD yesterday, it is still definitely a one year full time course isnt it??? Im a bit worried incase they have changed it, cant think why else the information is different from last year and year 2 is mentioned....if anyone can shed light on it id really appreciate it...thanks.

Same for this year!
    Is it still one year,

Thanks for that Electoralshock! Does anyone have any idea how to find out which schools participate in the partner-schools program?

I don't know will it be rolled out to all schools or not this year! We were meant to have only two visits from tutors but due to teething problems we still got the three. I think its still very much up in the air yet!!

Oh grand so, well thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Winnieme12

Got an offer from NUIG yesterday and an offer from Trinity today. Think I'm going to go for NUIG as I did my degree there, but does anyone have any opinion on which is the better course??

Hi Galway Girl 123, just a quick query, did it say on your offer for NUIG when we need to have paid the 260 euro? :)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mstorres

I have a question for anybody who has done the PDE in UCC.

I got offered a place in the PDE programme for this coming year. I have heard from a school who are willing to take me on for my placement, but only in one of my subjects because they don't offer my other subject.

Does anyone know if you have to teach your two subjects during placement, or would one suffice?

Winnieme12 wrote: »
    Hi Galway Girl 123, just a quick query, did it say on your offer for NUIG when we need to have paid the 260 euro? :)
    Thanks

Hi Winnieme12...it doesn't say on my offer when the deposit has to be paid. I would hazard a guess and say by the 30th April (the last day to accept the offer) but don't count on that. One thing I do know for definite is that NUIG doesn't allow you to pay the deposit online (for a Masters anyway) so make sure you leave enough time to send them the bank draft etc. Sorry I couldn't be more help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ABruce

I also got accepted to NUIG, it says on the e-mail that the payment deadline for the 260 is the 30th of April

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ABruce

Is there anyone here, doing the PDE with just one subject to teach at second level. Is it ok to have just one subject? The teaching council informed me that they will only recognise history for the purpose of teaching!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 minicurl

Hi i was just looking for advice. I got offered both UCD and Trinity for the pde. anyone have any thoughts on which is a better course? i know there are pros and cons to both that i am weighing up at the moment. all help would be greatly appreciated :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ABruce wrote: »
    Is there anyone here, doing the PDE with just one subject to teach at second level. Is it ok to have just one subject? The teaching council informed me that they will only recognise history for the purpose of teaching!

It will limit you a fair bit in terms of job hunting.

mstorres wrote: »
    I have a question for anybody who has done the PDE in UCC.

I got offered a place in the PDE programme for this coming year. I have heard from a school who are willing to take me on for my placement, but only in one of my subjects because they don't offer my other subject.

Does anyone know if you have to teach your two subjects during placement, or would one suffice?

I know in NUIG it doesn't matter as long as you have enough classes in the week in that subject. You will still be registered to teach both subjects as you did them at degree level even if you don't teach it during the PDE year.

minicurl wrote: »
    Hi i was just looking for advice. I got offered both UCD and Trinity for the pde. anyone have any thoughts on which is a better course? i know there are pros and cons to both that i am weighing up at the moment. all help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi minicurl,
    I'm in the same situation as you....got offered UCD and Trinity so had to think long and hard about my decision. I decided to go with Trinity.....for me it suits me better location wise and I also prefer the timetable. I much prefer the idea of doing school days to college days separately. I spoke to a few friends who have been through it and that helped me with my decision.

You will have only subject however to make up the credits on the course (you need 60) you can take modules in LCVP, SPHE, ICT, LCA, Transition Year etc. These are worth 2.5 credits each whereas History would be worth 5 credits.

Then the other 50 credits will come from Teaching Practice (15), Educational Sciences (15), Professional Development (10), Professional Studies in education (10).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 minicurl

Hi minicurl,
    I'm in the same situation as you....got offered UCD and Trinity so had to think long and hard about my decision. I decided to go with Trinity.....for me it suits me better location wise and I also prefer the timetable. I much prefer the idea of doing school days to college days separately. I spoke to a few friends who have been through it and that helped me with my decision.
    yeah it is such a tough decision to make. I originally had my mind set on trinity but i've had advice from various teachers and principals that UCD is the better option. so leaning more towards that! i'm still in two minds though. Trinity would be very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fic

You will have only subject however to make up the credits on the course (you need 60) you can take modules in LCVP, SPHE, ICT, LCA, Transition Year etc. These are worth 2.5 credits each whereas History would be worth 5 credits.

Then the other 50 credits will come from Teaching Practice (15), Educational Sciences (15), Professional Development (10), Professional Studies in education (10).

Hi, do you know in which college are those modules are offered? I didn't see them on the online handbooks. I'm in the same boat, with only one subject - I am doing a modern language, which is counted as a double pedagogy in Trinity. Trying to decide between Trinity & UCD...tough decision!!

minicurl wrote: »

Hi Minicurl, I'm in the same situation as you! I'm leaning more towards TCD, but that's because it's a long time since I was in college, & my knowledge of my second subject is dire! Also, the location & TP days suit better. Many principals say though that having 2 subjects makes you far more employable. What a decision - it's wrecking my head!

Fic wrote: »
    Hi, do you know in which college are those modules are offered? I didn't see them on the online handbooks. I'm in the same boat, with only one subject - I am doing a modern language, which is counted as a double pedagogy in Trinity. Trying to decide between Trinity & UCD...tough decision!!

That's in NUIG. I'm really sure what the situation is with other Universities. I say Maynooth, UCD and UCC would be the same but don't quote on that!

Make your decision around the teaching practice. Which one suits you? I advise to as much TP as you can. This is the most important part of the course in my opinion. I know people who have made their decision if teaching is for them based on TP.

Other aspects to the course are secondary to that!

• Advertisement

Fic wrote: »

That's in NUIG. I'm really sure what the situation is with other Universities. I say Maynooth, UCD and UCC would be the same but don't quote on that!

Make your decision around the teaching practice. Which one suits you? I advise to as much TP as you can. This is the most important part of the course in my opinion. I know people who have made their decision if teaching is for them based on TP.

Other aspects to the course are secondary to that!

Thanks a mill. That sounds like good advice :-)

Advertisement