Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

...but it's those 'rough' schools and classes that prepare you for teaching in the real world. We can all stand in front of angelic 12 year olds bemused by the big school.

How you deal with the 16 year old with a hangover who can't be a**ed doing what you want him to do is the useful skill and the PDE people know it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

spurious wrote: »
    ...but it's those 'rough' schools and classes that prepare you for teaching in the real world. We can all stand in front of angelic 12 year olds bemused by the big school.

How you deal with the 16 year old with a hangover who can't be a**ed doing what you want him to do is the useful skill and the PDE people know it.

Totally agree. But at the same time it's getting more and more difficult to get jobs (to state the obvious) and there are people in my class who have been told they'll not be happy with their TP grade. Those people are in 'rough' schools and often teaching higher classes. Those in well to do schools teaching 12 years olds are being herolded as the saviours of the teaching profession, those who will cause it to be held in high esteem. :rolleyes:

Now, I can't tell what a prospective employer would think more important; if one got a bad grade in a 'dodgy' school or an A grade in an easy school.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 laurakil24

hey! does anyone know if the HDip for Art and Design Teachers is recognised abroad?? Its so hard finding this info and the heads of the courses don't seem too keen on helping out either :)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mstorres

I went for an interview with a school last week, after which I asked the vice-principal when I would hear from them. The reply was take it you're in. Then I had to sign some forms, among them was one that said I could not talk to another school because to pull out of one school would reflect badly on me. Of course I understand that, but I'm worried now that they'll turn around and say I don't have it for some reason, and I can't get in contact with any other schools for the time being as I signed that form. I presume that this form is standard procedure, but just wanted to make sure. If anyone knows, it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Could anybody who accepted their offer to NUI Maynooth PM me the list of schools that they allow for placement? Just wondering if my school is accepted and I have not accepted the offer yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 123abcm

Hey! I got accepted to UCC aswell! I had an interview in a school today and the principal was saying that the competition for my subjects which are history and geography is big this year. She was saying that usually UCC choose their dip students an balance them out but doesn't seem like they have this year!

I'm not holding out hope for the position in that school, I don't feel like it was my best interview.

The reason I'm posting is, I handed in my cv to my old school this day last week, there's a new principal who doesn't know me and I haven't hear anything back, what are yer opinions on following up with a school? Should I ring? Or is that pushy?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Ughhhh! An Post sent all my applications back to me cause 3 sheets of paper in an A4 envelope is 40c more expensive than a regular envelope! Aghhh so annoying. Gotta start all over now. Hope people are having better luck than I am!

123abcm wrote: »
    Hey! I got accepted to UCC aswell! I had an interview in a school today and the principal was saying that the competition for my subjects which are history and geography is big this year. She was saying that usually UCC choose their dip students an balance them out but doesn't seem like they have this year!

Thanks

What now?? :confused: UCC don't pick people (AFAIK). It's a points systems like the CAO. They have to take the people with the highest grades. So it could hypothetically happen that everyone has the same subject choice next year. This year it seems like everyone is Maths and Science (lots of industry people who were let go).
    I think your principal is thinking back to the olden days when there used be interviews.

I could be wrong here but that's my understanding of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

maggles please do not post your query in more than one thread. I've deleted your post in this thread and have left the other post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 123abcm

What now?? :confused: UCC don't pick people (AFAIK). It's a points systems like the CAO. They have to take the people with the highest grades. So it could hypothetically happen that everyone has the same subject choice next year. This year it seems like everyone is Maths and Science (lots of industry people who were let go).
    I think your principal is thinking back to the olden days when there used be interviews.

I could be wrong here but that's my understanding of the situation.[/Quote]

That's what I was thinking when she said it too, but I have heard from a few teachers that although it's meant to be about grades they think there is a bit of choosing applicants on the basis of their subjects. To be honest I don't have a clue how it works, that's just what I've heard from others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciara471

What kind of luck is everyone having with finding teaching placements? I went into a school and spoke to the principal and she offered me the place there and then. Such a relief to have it sorted. I'm quite nervous about it though.

I have a quick question for anyone who did the PDE last year (or any previous year really). I have 2 exams to sit the first week of September. Do you think the college will mind me not coming in for 2 days in the first week? Also wouuld the school mind? I know it's quite cheeky asking for days off in the first week but it's for exams so I think it's reasonable enough. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Zippacat wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Any ideas about which schools would be good to do teaching practice in in county cork?

just been having a quick read of this thread as my gf got accepted into UCD and noticed this question.
    One of my mates is doing the dip in UCC at the minute, was chatting to her last week and asked how she found the school this year. She said she couldn't fault it at all really and reckons she landed on her feet with the school. She's in Mount Mercy girls school, its just along the Model Farm Rd as far as I remember.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ciara471 wrote: »
    I have a quick question for anyone who did the PDE last year (or any previous year really). I have 2 exams to sit the first week of September. Do you think the college will mind me not coming in for 2 days in the first week? Also wouuld the school mind? I know it's quite cheeky asking for days off in the first week but it's for exams so I think it's reasonable enough. What do you think?

The first week of September is the second week of school. It would mean missing your first classes with any groups you are assigned.
    Oh for the days when we didn't go back until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciara471

Cheers for the reply. I really hope it isn't a problem. I'll talk to the college about it closer to the time. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭moorele

Also just wondering have people had much luck securing schools for TP? I got the PGDE in Trinity (Biology) sent off loads of CVs to schools in Dublin. Got 3 back saying they had no placements. Followed up all the other applications with phone calls & they all pretty much said the same thing - that they are getting loads of applications, they haven't made any decisions yet but they'll be in touch. Trying not to panic yet but would be a lot happier if I had something lined up.

Do many of you have schools lined up already?

moorele wrote: »
    Also just wondering have people had much luck securing schools for TP? I got the PGDE in Trinity (Biology) sent off loads of CVs to schools in Dublin. Got 3 back saying they had no placements. Followed up all the other applications with phone calls & they all pretty much said the same thing - that they are getting loads of applications, they haven't made any decisions yet but they'll be in touch. Trying not to panic yet but would be a lot happier if I had something lined up.

Do many of you have schools lined up already?

You have to just keep trying. You'll eventually find one with a space. You should be saying Science, not Biology. They'll be a bit baffled if you say you only teach Biology because Dips usually teach 1st years and they don't have Biology as a stand alone subject.

Ah I have Biology with Science written on all the letters & CVs so shouldn't be any confusion. I'm taking solace in the fact that most are saying they haven't made their decisions yet. If they all said they had their quota filled I'd be really panicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

guys, would i be too late to apply to do a hdip for this coming september 2012?

is there a late applications process?

also, I read today that the Hdip will increase in duration from 1year to 2years across the board, when will this be happening?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

WilcoOut wrote: »

also, I read today that the Hdip will increase in duration from 1year to 2years across the board, when will this be happening?

Cheers!

No you're too late for this term. Deadline was December

WilcoOut wrote: »

Cheers!

You are too late for Ireland but you might be still able to apply to the UK. I could be wrong but think they take people up to the very last minute.

Its true the course is becoming a 2 year course. Think September 2014 was quote a few posts back for when its to be implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Lillyman

Hey ,

I have my TP arranged , just wondering whats next? Do I wait for the college to contact me or do I need to contact them?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

hey Lillyman- I'm the same.. I thought I read somewhere that the college will send stuff out after payment of the €260 but nada..
    What college you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PerfectPink

Hi!

I have emailed the school of education and have had no reply, UCD are useless when it comes to getting information!

I have accepted this course in UCD and have previously completed an arts degree in UCD, joint major Geography and Economics. Which one will be my first choice subject? Do I choose or does UCD choose for me? 

Also, The school I am doing the interview for only teaches Economics if there is a high enough demand, if I did Junior Cert Business Studies in teaching practice would that be okay for the PDE requirements or would I have to do Economics?

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Hi!

I have emailed the school of education and have had no reply, UCD are useless when it comes to getting information!

I have accepted this course in UCD and have previously completed an arts degree in UCD, joint major Geography and Economics. Which one will be my first choice subject? Do I choose or does UCD choose for me? 

Also, The school I am doing the interview for only teaches Economics if there is a high enough demand, if I did Junior Cert Business Studies in teaching practice would that be okay for the PDE requirements or would I have to do Economics?

Thanks guys!

UCD have no say in first subject/second subject, you decide (or your school do as often they cannot accomodate you for your preferred first subject etc). You can absolutely do Business Studies, as being qualified in Economics confers recognition to teach JC Business Studies. In UCD Business Special Methods covers all 3 subjects - this year Economics/Accounting was taught by someone different than Business/Business Studies but details of that are available when you start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jen84

So does it not necessarily matter what subjects you teach in teaching placement in terms of still being qualified to teach your degree subjects? I'm qualified to teach ag. science, biology & business as a third but my school can only give me JC science & JC business as they only really give JC subjects to hdips and don't do ag. sc.. I really want to go to my old school and haven't even got an interview from all the cv's I sent out to other schools. Does anyone know if this is ok? The info I got from college said I had to do 8 hours TP/week. 3hrs in each first & second subjects and remainder for third subject but I'm guessing from what I'm reading here that it can be flexible in term of subjects?? We aren't really in a position to dictate to our school anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lillyman

hey Lillyman- I'm the same.. I thought I read somewhere that the college will send stuff out after payment of the €260 but nada..
    What college you going?

Maybe thery are just taking their time! I'm going to UCC you?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

@ Lillyman -> Yip me too!!! going to be daunting heading back to college, been finished for 2 years, but im so delighted to have got the course.

What are your subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 iarmhii

Hey all ,

Just wondering would a gap in your education scupper chances of employment on completion of H.Dip ? Hav completed Degree in 09, may now do masters and then Dip , would the gap in education period be a huge stumbling block to gaining employment and raise a lot of questions with potential employers ? I feel masters would be great plus on the cv prior to h.dip

Many thanks in Advance
    Iarmhhii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jen84

iarmhii wrote: »
    Hey all ,

Just wondering would a gap in your education scupper chances of employment on completion of H.Dip ? Hav completed Degree in 09, may now do masters and then Dip , would the gap in education period be a huge stumbling block to gaining employment and raise a lot of questions with potential employers ? I feel masters would be great plus on the cv prior to h.dip

Many thanks in Advance
    Iarmhhii

Do you mean spending a long time in education? or the gap between 2009-12 when you weren't in education?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

iarmhii wrote: »
    Hey all ,

Many thanks in Advance
    Iarmhhii

I highly doubt it :) They might ask what you were doing after college but as long as you weren't in prison or anything it shouldn't really matter. I took a gap year after college to save for my MA and PDE but I really don't see that being a concern. Loads of people will have gaps, particularly with the recession and the lack of funding/grants/jobs available and the extra competition for college places.

Advertisement