Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nalasmith

Just wondering is anyone on this have geography as one of there subjects? i done geography through natural science in trinity, done biology in first and second year but only have 50 credit so that not enough for it to be recognised as a second subject. As far as i gather, i can teach geography and science however, but and the end i am only qualified in geography. is this correct?

Also is there anyone else doing there PGDE in UCD thats doing geography?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 iarmhii

jen84 wrote: »
    Do you mean spending a long time in education? or the gap between 2009-12 when you weren't in education?

Hey "jen84" , i am most concerned about the gap in education between 2009-2012 and how detrimental this could be in the long term if i now returned to education, could it hinder my chances big time , be a huge minus point ?

Cheers
    iarmhii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jen84

iarmhii wrote: »
    Hey "jen84" , i am most concerned about the gap in education between 2009-2012 and how detrimental this could be in the long term if i now returned to education, could it hinder my chances big time , be a huge minus point ?

Cheers
    iarmhii

Yeah I suppose it just depends what you were doing for the 3 years? If you were working anyway then it wouldn't be a problem at all. Whereas a 3 yr gap of doing nothing wouldn't look great, suppose people should try and do at the very least voluntary work so they don't look idle for long periods. The way the country is now loads of people are going back to education after losing jobs etc., or even just to retrain because there's no jobs in what they did their degree in. As far as I know with teaching you get jobs very much based on networking, like all the principals know each other etc., so if you do a good job in your teaching placement in the hdip that'd be a good stepping stone to jobs, they mightn't be too concerned what you were doing before. Employers understand things are difficult for people these days anyway. I'm going back to do the hdip now, hadn't even considered teaching when I was in school/college but did some work in education areas and realised I loved it so want to get properly qualified. I also wouldn't have been able to afford it without the Back to Education Allowance which I'll be eligible for now, if you were looking at doing it under the BTEA Scheme you can't get a masters first tho I don't think you qualify if you have level 9 qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Has anyone been sent anything from any of the colleges yet? My school rang to ask for the teaching practice form and were surprised when I said I hadn't gotten anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

moorele wrote: »
    Also just wondering have people had much luck securing schools for TP? I got the PGDE in Trinity (Biology) sent off loads of CVs to schools in Dublin. Got 3 back saying they had no placements. Followed up all the other applications with phone calls & they all pretty much said the same thing - that they are getting loads of applications, they haven't made any decisions yet but they'll be in touch. Trying not to panic yet but would be a lot happier if I had something lined up.

Do many of you have schools lined up already?

I'm getting nowhere ..I've sent out letters and emailed about a dozen schools but nothing. I had two missed calls from one school, who now wont pick up the phone...three rejection emails and no other correspondence at all. One school said they were full already- cue panic from me thinking EVERYONE is already getting teaching practice. How is everyone else getting on? Better than me I hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Witch-King77

I'll be doing mine in UCC... problem is, I haven't got a school yet. :(

From my experience so far, there's a real lack of correspondence from the schools. Every school I've rang either says "we're full" or "send in your CV to our email address and we'll get back to you". Which is fine. Except for the fact that I've had to ring several schools at least twice to find out if I could get an interview days after I send in a CV.

So far, I've only had two interviews. :/ I think the last one went well, but I'll have to ring them tomorrow to see if I got it - the interview was on Tuesday, and panic has set in!

Anyone else in Cork still school-searching...? (English and History student here!)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭moorele

At least you've gotten interviews. I am getting nowhere at all. Got 3 more rejections this week. No interviews yet & other schools saying they still havent made decisions. Kinda hard not to panic... really hope I can get something lined up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dar_dar

At least you've gotten interviews. I am getting nowhere at all. Got 3 more rejections this week. No interviews yet & other schools saying they still havent made decisions. Kinda hard not to panic... really hope I can get something lined up soon.
    @moorele Yes, TP seems to be difficult to arrange alright. I've had two interviews this week and one of them was a complete waste of time because i got the feeling from the arc of the conversation during the interview that they weren't looking for anyone with my subjects anyway. That's a day off work for nothing. Still waiting to hear back though, fingers crossed. That's three interviews that I still have to hear back from. The whole process is so agonisingly slow when you compare it to actual job interviews. Other people have noticed this too right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Blut2

I got told by a number of schools they werent making any decisions until June (!). Agonizingly slow doesnt begin to describe it... I've applied to about 40 now, got rejections from about 15, about 5 "we'll interview candidates in June" and about 20 no replies.

Its so annoying that theres no coordinated system between the universities and the schools. It wouldnt be that much work for a member of staff from each uni to have a database of which schools in the area were looking for teachers on placement teaching which subjects. Would save a lot of time on both the applicants and the schools end.

Blut2 wrote: »
    I got told by a number of schools they werent making any decisions until June (!). Agonizingly slow doesnt begin to describe it... I've applied to about 40 now, got rejections from about 15, about 5 "we'll interview candidates in June" and about 20 no replies.

Its so annoying that theres no coordinated system between the universities and the schools. It wouldnt be that much work for a member of staff from each uni to have a database of which schools in the area were looking for teachers on placement teaching which subjects. Would save a lot of time on both the applicants and the schools end.

I KNOW RIGHT. I have friends doing Education Degrees and everything is organised for them, I don't understand why the PDE placement is left 100% up to us...surely our colleges WANT to make sure we get this experience. Also, I'm pretty shocked at how unhelpful some schools are. Most of them won't reply at all. It's just a bit worrying because I've had to pay a fairly big deposit to accept my place, without knowing if I can even complete the teaching part. I swear if I ever become a principal I am going to welcome stressed student teachers with open arms. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Can I ask, are ye applying to schools around in which you'll be studying in or are you applying to schools back home, if you live outside the city? As in, have you asked in the schools you went to or is that not a viable option?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 primrose1990

Cygnus wrote: »
    Can I ask, are ye applying to schools around in which you'll be studying in or are you applying to schools back home, if you live outside the city? As in, have you asked in the schools you went to or is that not a viable option?

As far as I know all of the colleges have a radius which you must find a school within. I am not allowed go to my old school, and a lot of schools in the Dublin area are saying they keep places for past pupils.. :rolleyes:

Ah right. That was one of the reasons I picked Galway do it in...so that I could do it in my old school. I just landed in last Tuesday and they told me they'd have me. Seems I had it a lot easier than a lot of people!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dar_dar

Is it only NUIM that don't allow you go to your former school or is that all universities?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 primrose1990

dar_dar wrote: »
    Is it only NUIM that don't allow you go to your former school or is that all universities?

i dont think it matters if its your old school or not, so long as its in the radius, I went to school in Kilkenny so its too far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

dar_dar wrote: »

NUIM do allow placement in the student's old school.

Ruairi Quinn wants to put a stop to it though.

NUIG allow it anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lorspop

Hi everyone. I am so stressed. I got a place first round in Nuig History and English. I have been trying for a month to get teaching practice but nothing yet..so annoying.. my old school said they have a list and still no word...and I have tried nearly every school on the list..I am really scared they will take my place as I was so lucky to get it in the first place...also any advice on what I should be doing resource wise..should I do lesson plans I have'nt a clue like!!!
    Also what do ppl do in relation to leases as we will be on tp for nearly half the tiME ? any help would be greatly received..panic stations here !!! :/

lorspop wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am so stressed. I got a place first round in Nuig History and English. I have been trying for a month to get teaching practice but nothing yet..so annoying.. my old school said they have a list and still no word...and I have tried nearly every school on the list..I am really scared they will take my place as I was so lucky to get it in the first place...also any advice on what I should be doing resource wise..should I do lesson plans I have'nt a clue like!!!
    Also what do ppl do in relation to leases as we will be on tp for nearly half the tiME ? any help would be greatly received..panic stations here !!! :/

1. "I have tried nearly every school on the list" -Try every school on the list as soon as possible. Don't wait any longer to see if schools get back to you.

2."I am really scared they will take my place as I was so lucky to get it in the first place" - Why exactly would they do this?

3."also any advice on what I should be doing resource wise..should I do lesson plans I have'nt a clue like !!!" - It's May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

NUIM do allow placement in the student's old school.

Ruairi Quinn wants to put a stop to it though.

Does he actually? What's his reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 debz61288

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know anything about the PED in Hibernia College? I am living abroad at the moment but hoping to come home and start my postgrad as soon as possible, Hibernia have an intake next march/april which im considering but wanna see if anyone has had much experience with the college?
    I will be applying through pac.ie aswell but I am worried that if I possibly get an offer for Hibernia college and reject it with the hope of gettin the likes of NUIM etc, then finding out that I havent been offered anything through pac, then possibly being affected by the introduction of a 2 year full time PED course in 2014!
    Anyone got any advice? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 K.Ska

I have emailed almost every school in Dublin, was rejected 3 times and the others have never replied. I am not sure what to do as I haven't even gone to school in Ireland. Do you think it is advisable to drop into schools with your CV? Also, did you provide 2 written references when applying?

Thanks very much for your help!

Kristina

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭moorele

K.Ska wrote: »
    I have emailed almost every school in Dublin, was rejected 3 times and the others have never replied. I am not sure what to do as I haven't even gone to school in Ireland. Do you think it is advisable to drop into schools with your CV? Also, did you provide 2 written references when applying?

Thanks very much for your help!

Kristina

Kristina I have tried calling into schools but haven't gotten very far. Its pretty impossible to get past the reception. Like you I have mailed loads of schools in Dublin. Got a few rejections & not a word from the others. Rang around them all about 10days ago & was told they haven't made any decisions yet. I didn't provide any written references when applying just had references listed on my CV.

Its pretty frustrating because there's not much else we can do. I suppose its a waiting game at this stage really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Winnieme12

Kristina I have tried calling into schools but haven't gotten very far. Its pretty impossible to get past the reception. Like you I have mailed loads of schools in Dublin. Got a few rejections & not a word from the others. Rang around them all about 10days ago & was told they haven't made any decisions yet. I didn't provide any written references when applying just had references listed on my CV.

Its pretty frustrating because there's not much else we can do. I suppose its a waiting game at this stage really.

Hi all,

I am in the same situation as all of you! Its so frustrating. I have originally emailed all the schools with my CV and cover letter, also posted them a hard copy and have since been ringing the schools. Some have told me their places are full and some are saying they havent decided and others I am waiting to hear from still. Its so hard, I would love to have a school sorted as I am getting very stressed about it now. But I agree with you Moorele it is a waiting game at this stage! The people who have TP places sorted in a school are super lucky! :)

So, guys do ye suggest that I ring my former school as I have heard nothing. I don't want to appear pushy tho.They surely would have decided by now though ?!

oh and does anyone know Im going to NUIG, if we can't get placement can they take the place from us?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

Can I just say here to everyone who may see this......none of the colleges will revoke your place if you cannot find TP. I know lots of people from my course this year who didn't have TP in Sept and the college helped them find placements then. You will find something you just need to be patient (easier said than done I know) schools will contact you just give it a bit more time. Most schools are very busy at the minute sorting exams etc and also trying to sort out timetables for next year.:D

thank you that has eased my mind a bit..I'm was beginning to worry

lorspop wrote: »

I was the same, and I managed to swing an interview with a school for tomorrow :) Maybe try some of the more disadvantaged, slightly rougher schools if you can? I think they get slightly less applicants. If you have paid your deposit I dont think anyone can take your place, and the college WANT you to get TP so maybe email them and ask for advice?
    As for lesson plans, my college (UCD) advise us to do a week or two of observation first until we know all the do's and don'ts of the classroom but have a look at the JC and LC curriculam in the meantime, its all online! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

markevi...you legend :)

Advertisement