Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Winnieme12

Hi all,

I have a question regarding teaching subjects for the PDE. I am only qualified to teach Geography with my degree and the school where I am doing my TP has also asked if I would be willing to teach CSPE and Computer Studies during the year to make up my TP hours.
    My question is will this be ok? I am about to fill in the Student Information form to send back to NUIG by Friday and they have asked for the subjects I will be teaching in my school. I just want to know if my agreeing to teach these in my host TP school will cause problems either in NUIG or with the TC. If any one has any advice I would really really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It should be fine with nuig and is common enough when people only have one subject to use cspe/ict as filler. However when you finish the PDE you will be qualified to teach neither CSPE nor ICT.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭moorele

Just wondering how are people getting on with lining up schools for their TP? Have many of you had interviews? I have just gotten called for my first interview after sending CVs to 30 odd schools in Dublin. Those of you that have had interviews, were there many others interviewing for TP positions with you do you know? I am really hoping I can secure a place with this school. Its a great school that I would love to do my teaching practice in. I hate not having anything secured yet, its so unnerving. Finally has anyone received anything from TCD since being told they got a place on the course? I haven't heard anything except confirmation that they received the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mstorres

Was just re-checking the UCC tp requirements, because I need to ask the principal which of my subjects they want me to teach more of, so that I can pick my primary and secondary methodologies.

I noticed that the minimum tp time is 6 class periods a week, which amounts to 4.5 hours a week. I thought they seemed a bit low. Is that the standard for those of you who have done/are doing the dip at the moment?

mstorres wrote: »
    Was just re-checking the UCC tp requirements, because I need to ask the principal which of my subjects they want me to teach more of, so that I can pick my primary and secondary methodologies.

I noticed that the minimum tp time is 6 class periods a week, which amounts to 4.5 hours a week. I thought they seemed a bit low. Is that the standard for those of you who have done/are doing the dip at the moment?

TCD states a minimum of 6 hours and no more than 9 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Lync12

moorele wrote: »
    Finally has anyone received anything from TCD since being told they got a place on the course? I haven't heard anything except confirmation that they received the deposit.

I emailed TCD today about this asking if they planned on sending on any more information and I got this response:

'As your application came to us through the PAC system you were already forwarded with all the information/links. There will be no other information sent on to you. Is there any further clarification you require or do you have any issues with regard to the course? Please let me know and we will try to accommodate your needs in this matter.'

Anyone know if this is usually the case? The only info/links I received from PAC were concerning deposits and fee payments.

The only other thing i can think of is this link:

http://www.tcd.ie/Education/courses/pde/successful-applicants-2012.pdf

But at the bottom of that it says:
    If you accept the offer of a place will be in contact with you again later in the year to confirm details of the 2012–2013 course, including the Induction Course and requirements which you need to fulfil before beginning on the course in September. These include a completed Garda Vetting form and a letter from your teaching practice school confirming that you can complete your teaching practice in that school in your given subjects.

This is what has me expecting to hear from them/receive something in the post.

Thanks for that!

I especially thought we were to receive something regarding Garda vetting forms and other info about conforming TP hours etc.
    I'll get back to them with that and see what they say......will keep you posted.

Excellent, please do! :)

Ok so this is the response I got:

'I think the best course of action in this case for you would be to contact your school coordinator Dr Devitt on +353-1-896 1488 or send her an email pdeinfo@tcd.ie directly to clarify this matter. Documents like Garda Vetting form are specific to some of the schools and would not be a normal procedure and documents we would be dealing with in this office.
    I hope Dr Devitt will be able to provide you with all relevant information. However, if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Haven't had a chance to follow this up yet but maybe we'll get some clarification when I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sarahb82

Trinity were really late with getting back to use at this time last year. I don't think I got any real information from them till a lot later in the summer. Don't worry too much about it. i know that's easier said than done I as was in the exact same position last year and was worrying about getting info from them. They will send you on all the information you need in dur course. If you want an idea of what is happening check out our booklet on the TCD PDE website. Enjoy this summer, cause once the year starts it's over very quickly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mstorres

Does anybody know what the difference is between your first and second methodology? According to UCC's PDE page you must teach at least three hours of your first methodology.

Is this stating a preference of which subject you prefer to teach? Or basically is it up to the principal of your school which subject s/he need you to teach more hours of?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 music888

Lync12 wrote: »
    Ok so this is the response I got:

'I think the best course of action in this case for you would be to contact your school coordinator Dr Devitt on +353-1-896 1488 or send her an email pdeinfo@tcd.ie directly to clarify this matter. Documents like Garda Vetting form are specific to some of the schools and would not be a normal procedure and documents we would be dealing with in this office.
    I hope Dr Devitt will be able to provide you with all relevant information. However, if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Haven't had a chance to follow this up yet but maybe we'll get some clarification when I do.

Hi, I'm new to this but I was also wondering when we would receive any further information/forms from TCD so I rang the education department today and they said they'd be sending forms etc out very soon they were just finishing dealing with this year's students! Hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

hey all.

Question for anyone who is filling out the forms that UCC sent out..
    On the pink one where it says qualification details I'm unsure about one bit

Full title of primary degree - ok
    3rd level institution ok
    subjects studied final year - English Literature & History
    other degree subjects
    other 3rd level qualifications - ok

Im stuck with the other degree subjects - like i did 4 subjects in 1st yr and then took 2 to final year with an elective subject.. Do i leave this line blank as the other subjects i did were not to degree..

hey all.

other degree subjects
    other 3rd level qualifications - ok

Im stuck with the other degree subjects - like i did 4 subjects in 1st yr and then took 2 to final year with an elective subject.. Do i leave this line blank as the other subjects i did were not to degree..

I'm not going to UCC but I would read that as other subjects you did as part of your degree. For example for me my final year subject would have been Genetics. So for the other degree subjects I would write Biology, Chemistry & Maths as I did these for first two years.

Dunno if this is any help. Just my reading of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dolano79

I'm hoping to do the HDip in cork but the school I'm doing my placement with is offering only maths and science. My degree is in Science and I don't actually think I can teach Maths as my second subject. Does anyone know anything about thi?s

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Witch-King77

So... June 14th and still haven't got a school in Cork to teach English and History. Any suggestions? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Hi all, quick question, is the PGDE now 2 years in every university in Ireland or do some still offer it as a 1 year course?
    Sorry if someone has already asked this question but I couldn't find it in the thread!
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciara471

bleuhh wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question, is the PGDE now 2 years in every university in Ireland or do some still offer it as a 1 year course?
    Sorry if someone has already asked this question but I couldn't find it in the thread!
    Thank you.

This year it's still a one year course but as far as I know this is the alst year of that and from September 2013 it will be a 2 year course.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Ciara471 wrote: »
    This year it's still a one year course but as far as I know this is the alst year of that and from September 2013 it will be a 2 year course.

Thanks for that Ciara, I won't be looking into it until Sept 2014. Someone advised me that some of the universities are still offering it as a 1 year course for good but I thought that would change alright. Well that ruins any plans! Thanks again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Ciara471 wrote: »
    bleuhh wrote: »
    Thank you.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/applying-to-register/required-degree-and-teacher-education-qualification-post-primary.495.html
    The programme must extend over at least one year of full-time study or equivalent. With effect from September 2014, postgraduate programmes of initial teacher education accredited by the Teaching Council will be extended to two years full time study or 120 ECTS credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

mstorres wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the difference is between your first and second methodology? According to UCC's PDE page you must teach at least three hours of your first methodology.

Is this stating a preference of which subject you prefer to teach? Or basically is it up to the principal of your school which subject s/he need you to teach more hours of?

It's three classes and not three hours. and I think it would normally be up to you to tell the school what your preference is.
    dolano79 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to do the HDip in cork but the school I'm doing my placement with is offering only maths and science. My degree is in Science and I don't actually think I can teach Maths as my second subject. Does anyone know anything about thi?s

I'm in the exact same boat, my school s getting me teach Science and Maths. The teaching council hasn't recognised my degree (Applied Physics) as suitable for maths, but I have an MSc as well so I'm going to submit my MSc for verification along with my degree after the course next year to see if they will approve me for Maths teaching as well.

Short answer, don't think it's a huge deal for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Got induction info from UCD today. They say we'll hear from the fees people in August and that it's 6,530. I remember reading when I paid the PAC deposit that that is put towards the fees. Is this true? Can't find that info anymore. Is the 6,530 after the 260 has been taken out or will that be adjusted?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

I got a 260 refund around Feb/March this year from NUI Maynooth. So you should get it back as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 artybay

Apologies if this is a bit vague but I'll be starting the PDE in U.C.C. this year and I was hoping to get advice from people about the year.

I suppose in particular I would love to hear advice regarding:

1) the reflective journal to be written over the year

2) preparation for teaching (how to prepare class material/for the supervisor's visits, etc.)

However, any general advice or any guidance that anyone might be willing to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

"The programme must extend over at least one year of full-time study or equivalent. With effect from September 2014, postgraduate programmes of initial teacher education accredited by the Teaching Council will be extended to two years full time study or 120 ECTS credits."

I'm a bit confused about this...if I apply next year, 2013, am I applying for a two year course?
    Or are they saying that applications from September 2014 will be for a two year course in 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 artybay

Jade182 wrote: »
    "The programme must extend over at least one year of full-time study or equivalent. With effect from September 2014, postgraduate programmes of initial teacher education accredited by the Teaching Council will be extended to two years full time study or 120 ECTS credits."

I'm a bit confused about this...if I apply next year, 2013, am I applying for a two year course?
    Or are they saying that applications from September 2014 will be for a two year course in 2015?

As of September 2014 it is a two year course. If you are starting the course in 2013, it is a one year course. If you start 2014, it's two years.
    i.e. there is no class graduating the year 2015.

Just to clarify further, it will work as such:

2012-2013 (one year)
    2013-2014 (one year)
    2014-2016 (two years)

That really sucks :/
    If I don't manage to get a place next year I've to pay out double the money :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

artybay wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a bit vague but I'll be starting the PDE in U.C.C. this year and I was hoping to get advice from people about the year.

I suppose in particular I would love to hear advice regarding:

1) the reflective journal to be written over the year

2) preparation for teaching (how to prepare class material/for the supervisor's visits, etc.)

However, any general advice or any guidance that anyone might be willing to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The reflective journal is grand. Just collect things during the year, projects students do, tests they take, and write a little story around them for the journal.

For the teaching - look through the books, Google for ideas for teaching that subject, talk to anyone you may know who teaches it. You'll have two classes with your tutor before you start anyway.

• Advertisement

http://www.ucd.ie/education/graduateprogrammes/taughtprogrammes/masterofartsineducationma/
    What about a Masters in Education? Where does this stand with regards to Qualified Teacher Status?

Advertisement