Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Hey guys,

for those of us starting the PDE in September, when should we register with the teaching council. I want to have my MSc assessed and have read this can take a few months so would like to get a head start if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

You can have your qualifications assessed at any stage. Its not the same thing as being on the register to teach. Look for the "information purposes only" route. Application form here ...

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Application%20Forms/PPQA_02_75653204.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭drvantramp

paudie, as chris stated you can go ahead at any stage but be prepared for a long wait and a lot of phonecalls to pester them to process your application.
    It is unlikely that you will get the credits you expect for Msc and do not expect any credit for real work experience - a total joke.

the sooner this quango TC is abolished the better - it does nothing but block new teachers and place obstacles at every turn in the name of "regulation". A very Irish farce. I can think of nothing in its defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 artybay

dory wrote: »
    The reflective journal is grand. Just collect things during the year, projects students do, tests they take, and write a little story around them for the journal.

For the teaching - look through the books, Google for ideas for teaching that subject, talk to anyone you may know who teaches it. You'll have two classes with your tutor before you start anyway.

Thank you dory! I appreciate the help and advice =)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Jade182 wrote: »
    http://www.ucd.ie/education/graduateprogrammes/taughtprogrammes/masterofartsineducationma/
    What about a Masters in Education? Where does this stand with regards to Qualified Teacher Status?

What do you mean? An MA in Education is what you do if you're interested in learning more about education and have dreams of being a principal.

The PDE is what you do to become a qualified teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

Has anyone doin the PDE in Galway heard anything back from them since they sent out the Garda Clearance forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Winnieme12

Melty wrote: »
    Has anyone doin the PDE in Galway heard anything back from them since they sent out the Garda Clearance forms?

Hi Melty,
    I am doing it in Galway in Sept too. Nothing more was sent out, there are forms online though that we needed to fill out and send back. If you log back into PAC and view your application status, there is a link there "click here for further instructions". This brings you to a page on NUIG website and the forms are there. There was a student information form due back on 1st June and the next one (school agreement form) is due by 31st August. Hope this helps and is the info you are looking for!

Winnieme! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Where does one purchase the teacher editions of books?

Just go into the local book store and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Has anybody going to UCD been able to log onto UCD connect or see the timetable? They said mid-July in the letter they sent a couple of weeks ago but still no sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

paudie wrote: »
    Hey guys,

for those of us starting the PDE in September, when should we register with the teaching council. I want to have my MSc assessed and have read this can take a few months so would like to get a head start if possible.

Hey I have just completed the PDE in May. You will not be able to register with the Teaching Council until your PDE results are available and you have been Garda Vetted through the Teaching Council. There is no point trying to get a head start because everyone registers at the same time. You will receive a visit from a member of the teaching council in Spring next year. Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

artybay wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a bit vague but I'll be starting the PDE in U.C.C. this year and I was hoping to get advice from people about the year.

I suppose in particular I would love to hear advice regarding:

1) the reflective journal to be written over the year

2) preparation for teaching (how to prepare class material/for the supervisor's visits, etc.)

However, any general advice or any guidance that anyone might be willing to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi, the reflective journal or portfolio will simply contain your beliefs on education at the beginning of the year followed by your beliefs at the end of the year and how they might have changed or even been confirmed. You will also have three entries within which you will investigate a particular topic of education. Again these entries will contain your beliefs as well as actual practice and experience in and outside the classroom. That is why it is important to record every outcome of every lesson and collect evidence.

Preparing for visits will be done while you are in the course. You will develop your own teaching style as the course continues and you will hopefully implement multiple teaching styles as you need them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Probably ring the publishers - tbh I haven't come across them
    Hey guys,

TC will visit you in college around May-ish and will give you out the forms.!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tracy Jacks

If you have any Ed Co books on your book list, they have digital versions of some text books available on their website. You can see sample chapters for free and if you register online you'll have two weeks access to the books. By registering you have access to the teachers version with solutions and other resources. You will have to enter your school roll number on the website and you can get this from the Dept of Education website. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 daffodil88

I'm doing the pgde in nuim starting in sept.got my garda vetting back a couple weeks ago,have school sorted.has anyone head anything after that?i havent heard from the uni about anything and guessing i'll be starting back aug/sept in the school...just wondering do i need to do anything else or will they contact us in due course?thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Ciara471

Does anyone know when the timetable for the PDE in UCC will be up? I'd love if there was more information available. I just can't wait to get started at this stage.

Ciara471 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the timetable for the PDE in UCC will be up? I'd love if there was more information available. I just can't wait to get started at this stage.

You might have to wait until August, they usually send it out before the orientation. I wouldn't worry too much about getting started this early because more than likely they haven't even started getting ready themselves yet. I did it last year and you just have to go with the flow. I had a amazing year even though it was tough, I still loved every second!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Hi, I'm thinking of applying for the hdip next year. I've completed my degree already and have results. I'm just wondering when would the offers come out therefore, are they like the masters where a conditional offers is made and you accept or is the select date the same for everyone. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

It depends on the colleges - for the NUI colleges you apply through PAC which is like the CAO. Generally you apply in December and then the offers usually come out in early April and everyone hears on the same day. See here for info.You can apply to all the NUI colleges at once - you rank them like you did your CAO.
    For Trinity you need a separate application but you use PAC as well - if I remember correctly the offers for Trinity came out a week before the NUI ones the year I applied.
    Limerick only offers certain subjects - see here and you apply directly to the college.
    DCU offer a part time one but I don't know anything about applying for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tracy Jacks

daffodil88 wrote: »
    I'm doing the pgde in nuim starting in sept.got my garda vetting back a couple weeks ago,have school sorted.has anyone head anything after that?i havent heard from the uni about anything and guessing i'll be starting back aug/sept in the school...just wondering do i need to do anything else or will they contact us in due course?thanks

I contacted NUI Maynooth the other day and they said we'll be starting on the 29th August. I think we should receive a timetable etc... in the post in August. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 slampop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

slampop wrote: »

Looks interesting! How do we know which Tutorial we do on Mondays?

I contacted NUI Maynooth the other day and they said we'll be starting on the 29th August. I think we should receive a timetable etc... in the post in August. Hope that helps!

ok great thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭moorele

Anyone hear from TCD? A few weeks ago I got the Garda vetting form & the info about the induction course the end of August. They mentioned about the updated handbook being published online but still seems to be last years. Anyone know when we have to have fee's paid? I assume they'll send something in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

hey guys, this is probably a silly question but when you're applying for the PDGE, do you need to state that you are applying for masters too. And vica versa, for example the decision for the PDGE is made in April, but often the masters decision hasnt come out yet. Would you need to state on the masters forms where it asks is it your first choice, that you have applied for the PDGE, even if the decision has been negative.

Also one more question, I went to college in ucc and am applying for the PDGE there, do I need to send my transcripts to them since I did my undergrad there?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

hey guys, this is probably a silly question but when you're applying for the PDGE, do you need to state that you are applying for masters too. And vica versa, for example the decision for the PDGE is made in April, but often the masters decision hasnt come out yet. Would you need to state on the masters forms where it asks is it your first choice, that you have applied for the PDGE, even if the decision has been negative.

Also one more question, I went to college in ucc and am applying for the PDGE there, do I need to send my transcripts to them since I did my undergrad there?

Don't know about the first question but to the second one, the application process is done through a centralised system PAC to which you have to send your transcript, regardless of where you're applying to do it.

i got my nuim info in the post today.looking forward to starting now.

just wondering does anyone know in regards to methodologies do i have to have a degree in a subject to do it.my subjects are history and geography.i can probably do cspe and sphe right?what about religion?id be interested to do that subject but i didnt do it in my degree.im guessing for subjects like english you need to have done it in your degree.my third subject was sociology...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

daffodil88 wrote: »
    i got my nuim info in the post today.looking forward to starting now.

just wondering does anyone know in regards to methodologies do i have to have a degree in a subject to do it.my subjects are history and geography.i can probably do cspe and sphe right?what about religion?id be interested to do that subject but i didnt do it in my degree.im guessing for subjects like english you need to have done it in your degree.my third subject was sociology...

You do the methodologies for the subjects you will be registered to teach with the teaching council i.e. history and geography. You could take CSPE as a certificate of attendance but this will not be on your teaching council registration. As far as I know there is no SPHE methodology - you do this through in-service if you're teaching it.

You do the methodologies for the subjects you will be registered to teach with the teaching council i.e. history and geography. You could take CSPE as a certificate of attendance but this will not be on your teaching council registration. As far as I know there is no SPHE methodology - you do this through in-service if you're teaching it.

ok great, thanks for the information :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

You can do any methodologies you like so long as the timetable allows. Lots of people do three and there is a SPHE module in Maynooth - or at least there was two years ago. As said above though the Teaching Council will only register you for the subjects you have in your degree.

Edited to add: Your official transcript will only have two methodologies listed on it, you will get the results for any additional methodologies from the department separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Bobsammy wrote: »
    You can do any methodologies you like so long as the timetable allows. Lots of people do three and there is a SPHE module in Maynooth - or at least there was two years ago. As said above though the Teaching Council will only register you for the subjects you have in your degree.

Yes but doing three or more methodologies will be very taxing especially if you're going to complete the assignments for them and all the other work you must complete. I would stick to my own subjects unless you were considering doing another subject in the future and the teaching council may require that you complete the methodology prior to adding the subject to your subject list.

Advertisement