Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 123abcm

the vice principal of my school told me during my interview that they'd contact me in august and not to worry but like yourself would really like to have some idea at this stage. wish they would hurry on! :([/Quote]

Hopefully we'll hear this week. I haven't even been told for definite what year I'm teaching, so I've prepared for first year, I hope he doesn't turn around and say another year ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lillyman

123abcm wrote: »
    the vice principal of my school told me during my interview that they'd contact me in august and not to worry but like yourself would really like to have some idea at this stage. wish they would hurry on! :(

Hopefully we'll hear this week. I haven't even been told for definite what year I'm teaching, so I've prepared for first year, I hope he doesn't turn around and say another year ha.[/Quote]

Ya it's the same for me so it must be the norm will wait to here this week! Would like to get the books so I could do a little prep and would like to know what the timetable looks at etc

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

Hi all, anyone know if I do my pgde in UK do I have to do the induction year over there? I emailed teaching council but heard nothing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭moorele

I emailed my school last week asking what date school was starting back as I had to give the required notice in my current job. I was told that school is back on the 27th but that we would be in for a staff day before that & that information would be posted out late August so i'd say we should get word this week or early next week at the latest.
    I haven't even been told for definite what year I'm teaching, so I've prepared for first year, I hope he doesn't turn around and say another year ha.

Have many people been preparing stuff over the summer?? What have you been preparing? I wouldn't even know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

moorele wrote: »
    Have many people been preparing stuff over the summer?? What have you been preparing? I wouldn't even know where to start.

I've been looking through the school books, making mental notes, going to start working on lesson plans this week I think.

• Advertisement

paudie wrote: »
    I've been looking through the school books, making mental notes, going to start working on lesson plans this week I think.

How do you know what lessons to plan though? I would have assumed that the teacher you are working with will indicate what lessons/topics they want you to cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 daffodil88

the info i got from maynooth last week said to contact the school the week of the 20th so im gonna wait until next monday to see about staff meeting and all that.i dont know what classes im having either.i know the girl who did hers in the same school as me last year had first and second years...id like the timetable soon though too.havnt even thought about doing lesson plans yet.you're making me feel unprepared :)
    we'll be fine though,theres plenty of time for all of that.maybe just do a little revision of the syllabus.my friends who have done the course in the past got very stressed so im gonna try and not put too much pressure on myself.gonna work hard but enjoy the year.
    try not to stress everyone,the course hasnt even started yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

How do you know what lessons to plan though? I would have assumed that the teacher you are working with will indicate what lessons/topics they want you to cover?

Lesson plans is probably a bit of a grandiose term :P

I'm going to start working through the problem sets in maths and make notes of explanations for possible problems the kids might have.
    Probably have it in my head how I will link from one section to the next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Just to note that plenty of full time teachers won't have been given their timetable yet. Some won't even receive it until they return to school! It varies between schools but don't be surprised if the school haven't even thought about what dips will be doing yet.

Preparing yourself for first years is probably a safe enough bet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

There is no point contacting the school this week. The Leaving Cert and everything that goes along with it will be the top priority for the next week. Most Dip students won't get their timetable till the first week of classes as vice principals will only have started back on Monday.

Believe it or not, some teachers don't like giving their classes to Dips and not all teachers timetables will tie in with the HDips. For instance, our school has had a HDip student in my subject area for the past four years and despite being the most senior member of the subject department, I have not been able to benefit from a HDip because of my timetable (I didn't have first or second years on the days/hours the Dip was in).

Don't panic! The start of the school year is the busiest time for management so they have not forgotten about you even if they are not in contact with you. I would advise everyone to contact their schools next week to see it they want to meet with you before the school re-opens. If not, find out when they expect you in and play it from there. The year is a marathon and not a sprint.

Best of luck to everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Patches22

Hi,
    As written above most teachers won't even have their timetables yet so thats why it takes a while before dips find out what they'll be doing. First and second year groups are a safe enough bet though. Although you may not find out exactly what topics you'll be teaching them until near teaching practice.... In prep for the year my advice at this point would be to start stocking up on stuff like whiteboard markers and all that stationary stuff (you can never have too much - they grow legs) and start searching for good places to find resources. And most of all get plenty of rest and relaxation as its a busy year!
    I hope that was of some help...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dmc86

Hey, I just got my timetable for my teaching placement for the PDE in UCD, in total I have 9 hours teaching although the UCD website says that we shouldn't have more than 8 hours, does anyone know if this will be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Patches22

dmc86 wrote: »
    Hey, I just got my timetable for my teaching placement for the PDE in UCD, in total I have 9 hours teaching although the UCD website says that we shouldn't have more than 8 hours, does anyone know if this will be a problem?

Nah I wouldn't say so. When I did mine I know some people had a couple extra weekly on top of the recommended. Let your TP tutor/whoever is in charge of TP know anyway to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

If possible I would only let the college know of 8 hours worth of classes - in NUIM several people had extra classes (some were teaching full timetables) but they just nominated the correct number of periods for TP.

It may not be possible, but it would mean you won't be burdened with one hour of extra dip-level lesson plans. (You should still plan of course but a minute-by-minute account of the actions of everybody in the room would be unneccessary.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

dmc86 wrote: »

As above, only tell UCD of the minimum. You can chill out a little bit in the other classes then. Most people get slightly more hours than is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Hey guys one more question!!

The UCC Hdip PAC application asks for your awarded percentage for your final results. Im in a situation where because I got over 70 in the majority of my modules, I got bumped up to 70 percent, whereas I had 68 overall. so I got the first. I dont know therefore what percentage to put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pompette

Hey IrishEyes, I was in the exact same position when I applied last year. So I put down that I got a first but put my percentage down as 68 and then when my application was actually processed they had changed my percentage to 70. So no need to worry about it and write down whatever you got :)

Got info from my school today to say that we're in for an induction & department meeting on Mon 27th & then there's a full staff meeting on Tuesday. In typical fashion though, TCD have organised our induction period Mon-Wed & attendance is mandatory. I will be able to head into my school Monday morning until lunchtime as TCD doesn't start until 2pm but will have to miss staff meeting on Tues. The meeting introduces new staff, goes through school plan, timetable, pupil information etc... Do you think this is a big disadvantage to be missing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

Got info from my school today to say that we're in for an induction & department meeting on Mon 27th & then there's a full staff meeting on Tuesday. In typical fashion though, TCD have organised our induction period Mon-Wed & attendance is mandatory. I will be able to head into my school Monday morning until lunchtime as TCD doesn't start until 2pm but will have to miss staff meeting on Tues. The meeting introduces new staff, goes through school plan, timetable, pupil information etc... Do you think this is a big disadvantage to be missing this?

In the exact same situation as you Moorele! I think it's ok to miss the full staff meeting, although it would have been nice to be introduced and stuff. Induction for new staff at the school will give you (and me!) an overall view of policies, ethos, discipline code, administration, homework policy etc. Whereas the first staff meeting of the year usually covers a lot of stuff related to the previous year, like LC results and so on. I'm just going to inform my school that I have college on Tuesday and Wednesday and start TP on Thursday. We're required to be in school on Thursday, Friday and Monday morning, so that's why Trinity have arranged their induction timetable for the opposite times (i.e. the times we would usually be in college!) I opened my diary to write all these school meetings in, only to realise the same as you! Sucks :D Plenty of years of staff meetings ahead anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wren2012

Hi, just wondering has anyone heard anything back from NUIG yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

wren2012 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering has anyone heard anything back from NUIG yet?

Hi wren2012, I did my PGDE two years ago in NUIG and we only got the date for induction and got all the information then. I don't know if this is still the way. Hope it helps, good luck with the dip!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dmull2

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows where i can find the student teachers handbook for UCC as it is not online and i didn't recieve anything in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Does it matter what result you get in your Master's degree when applying for the PDE? I know that your primary degree result is important but afaik you get six points for a Master's regardless of final grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 caz12

dmull2 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows where i can find the student teachers handbook for UCC as it is not online and i didn't recieve anything in the post.

I rang the college this morning, they said they would be giving out a hard copy of the handbook at orientation tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ci1989

caz12 wrote: »
    I rang the college this morning, they said they would be giving out a hard copy of the handbook at orientation tomorrow. :)

Thanks for that I was wondering the same!:) Oh the excitement :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lillyman

caz12 wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything either. I'm gonna ring at the end of the week if I don't hear, I'd like to have some idea soon what my timetable is like.

the vice principal of my school told me during my interview that they'd contact me in august and not to worry but like yourself would really like to have some idea at this stage. wish they would hurry on! :(

Hey did you hear from your school in the end? Still have not heard anything, might drop them an email tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8 caz12

Lillyman wrote: »
    Hey did you hear from your school in the end? Still have not heard anything, might drop them an email tomorrow

Hey, I heard from my school last week, have induction on Thursday for a couple of hours. Maybe ring or email your school tomorrow, they probably have been busy with leaving cert results and what not! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

This may have been answered already but here goes.

I am starting my 2 year part time H.Dip in DCU this month. I selected Accounting as my main subject but when looking at schools to teach in the class sizes for this subject are normally <10 pupil, where DCU demands that at least 15 are in a class.

Can I therefore pick my 2nd subject as the subject I want to have my teaching practice in (business studies in my case)?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 yellowlor

Hi, just wondering does any one know for definite when the two year course for the hdip starts? is it sept 2013 or sept 2014? Is it going to happen to all colleges at the same time? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Caisy

Anyone doing the professional diploma in Education for Languages in UL? I was accepted on the 2nd round and I haven't been able to get any information about teaching practice. Originally I filled out a area form of where I would like to be placed and was told that UL organises the placement but I haven't heard anything since. Seeing as the schools start back next week Im starting to wonder what the story is? Any ideas?

Advertisement