Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BumbleBe

Hey people!
    Starting my PGDE next week and I'm just wondering if there are any helpful books you could recommend? Particularly in the line of English and History? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 backless

Well folks, sorry if this has been answered through the comments in this thread but I have a few basic questions if anyone could be of help.
    I'm trying to get myself into secondary teaching, and I'm wondering about the PGDE/ PDE courses run.
    At the minute I'm looking at doing a PGDE course in Scotland or Liverpool, are these courses run over here though?
    Also, if I were to do one of these courses (assuming they are more or less the same), would this be recognised and allowed by the teaching council to be a secondary teacher in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sarahb82

backless wrote: »
    Well folks, sorry if this has been answered through the comments in this thread but I have a few basic questions if anyone could be of help.
    I'm trying to get myself into secondary teaching, and I'm wondering about the PGDE/ PDE courses run.
    At the minute I'm looking at doing a PGDE course in Scotland or Liverpool, are these courses run over here though?
    Also, if I were to do one of these courses (assuming they are more or less the same), would this be recognised and allowed by the teaching council to be a secondary teacher in Ireland?

The PGCE are the courses which are run in the UK. The PGDE is what the Hdip was changed to, and it changed again this year to a PDE. Same thing, just a different name. As far as I am aware if you study for your PGCE in the UK you have a complete an exam on the History of Irish Education in order to transfer your qualifications. As you said, a lot of information is available in this thread anyway for advice :)

The PDE courses in Ireland arent going to be an option for me (I think ) because my degree isnt really up to scratch for the course I want to do here (Maynooth) as far as I can tell. Judging from the people I've talked to about it and the different course in Ireland (I've talked to a good few people)I'm very much doubting if I'd be accepted into a course here, so that's why I'm looking at the UK to do the course.
    Thanks though for the info, very valuable at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

If you do go to the UK you will have to do 2years over there before you are eligible to teach here. ! year in college and 1 working. Just keep it in mind!

• Advertisement

So as I gather it, one year of learning (in which there is teaching practice) and then another year for the QTS (qualified Teacher Status) to be awarded?

I wonder, would I be able to complete the QTS part of the training in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

No, unfortunatly you cant. It has to be completed in the place where you do your training.

rothai wrote: »
    No, unfortunatly you cant. It has to be completed in the place where you do your training.
    well ****balls anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

wren2012 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering has anyone heard anything back from NUIG yet?

Don't know if you've been on the PDE page recently but they put up the handbook and more information about the course / timetables yesterday or the day before...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

backless wrote: »
    The PDE courses in Ireland arent going to be an option for me (I think ) because my degree isnt really up to scratch for the course I want to do here (Maynooth) as far as I can tell. Judging from the people I've talked to about it and the different course in Ireland (I've talked to a good few people)I'm very much doubting if I'd be accepted into a course here, so that's why I'm looking at the UK to do the course.
    Thanks though for the info, very valuable at the moment!

What do you mean up to scratch? Doesn't meet the requirements or not a good grade? Either will put up at the bottom of the list if you wish to be employed in Ireland at a later date (from talking to principals). They have their pick of people with the oversupply. Just keep that in mind before parting with your cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

This may have been answered already but here goes.

I am starting my 2 year part time H.Dip in DCU this month. I selected Accounting as my main subject but when looking at schools to teach in the class sizes for this subject are normally <10 pupil, where DCU demands that at least 15 are in a class.

Can I therefore pick my 2nd subject as the subject I want to have my teaching practice in (business studies in my case)?

Hi there,

You can use business studies as your main subject. You can still do a methodology in accounting even though you may not be teaching it (although this isn't ideal for obvious reasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

Hi everyone,

I'm starting the PDE in Trinity. My major subject from my degree is French, so Modern Languages is my major in PDE. It says in the handbook anyone doing Mod Lang doesn't have to do a minor, but you can attend methodology in your second subject, you would not be assessed in it. I'm wondering:

(a) am I correct in the above information?
    (b) would you recommend attending lectures in your minor
    (c) can you do some TP hours in it, and, if so, will you be inspected in it?
    (c) will I be qualified in my second subject?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sarahb82

Hi everyone,

I'm starting the PDE in Trinity. My major subject from my degree is French, so Modern Languages is my major in PDE. It says in the handbook anyone doing Mod Lang doesn't have to do a minor, but you can attend methodology in your second subject, you would not be assessed in it. I'm wondering:

(a) am I correct in the above information?
    (b) would you recommend attending lectures in your minor
    (c) can you do some TP hours in it, and, if so, will you be inspected in it?
    (c) will I be qualified in my second subject?

Thanks in advance! :)

I was in a similar position myself when I started in TCD last year. My major is science and like Mod Lang is counted as a double major. I did however attend the maths pedagogy sessions during the year even though I was not requested to. so to answer your questions

(a) yes you are corrent
    (b) if you think it would be worthwhile to attend then by all means. I attend the maths sessions hoping to eventually qualifiy in maths also and in order to teach it you have to have attended sessions during the PDE.
    (c) you can of course do teaching hours in it, however you will only be assessed on your major subject.
    (d) you will only be qualified to teach your minor if you have enough credits to satisfy the teaching council requirements to teach that particular subject. I believe its roughly a third of your degree or 54 credits I think (not sure so dont quote me on this)

As far as I can remember the Mod Langs had 2 2 hour sessions a week, so attending another 2 hour session on top of that can be quite a lot of work. It is manageable and I enjoyed it.

Enjoy the year, I can't believe that I started it a year ago now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

sarahb82 wrote: »
    I was in a similar position myself when I started in TCD last year. My major is science and like Mod Lang is counted as a double major. I did however attend the maths pedagogy sessions during the year even though I was not requested to. so to answer your questions

(a) yes you are corrent
    (b) if you think it would be worthwhile to attend then by all means. I attend the maths sessions hoping to eventually qualifiy in maths also and in order to teach it you have to have attended sessions during the PDE.
    (c) you can of course do teaching hours in it, however you will only be assessed on your major subject.
    (d) you will only be qualified to teach your minor if you have enough credits to satisfy the teaching council requirements to teach that particular subject. I believe its roughly a third of your degree or 54 credits I think (not sure so dont quote me on this)

As far as I can remember the Mod Langs had 2 2 hour sessions a week, so attending another 2 hour session on top of that can be quite a lot of work. It is manageable and I enjoyed it.

Great thanks Sarahb! I can't wait to begin now!!

My stationery shopping is all done (for the moment anyways!) this afternoon, so I'm all ready! I love dividers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

sarahb82 wrote: »

(a) yes you are corrent

Congrats and good luck on your course. If it was manageable I would attend the methodology for your second subject because the Teaching Council may not register you for the subject if you havn't attended the methodology. I'd just check this out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Congrats and good luck on your course. If it was manageable I would attend the methodology for your second subject because the Teaching Council may not register you for the subject if you havn't attended the methodology. I'd just check this out!!

I thought as long as you have a degree in the subject you are qualified to teach it regardless of whether you attend the methodology.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 daffodil88

hey,so i'm starting the pde in nuim next week.i paid half of the fees this week and will pay the rest in january.i'm planning on living off my savings for the year.just wondering if anyone knows of any way i can get funding?not entitled to grant or bte.hate the idea of being broke at the end of this year.a friend told me to ask the fees office around chrismas as funding might not have been assigned.any chance you think? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I thought as long as you have a degree in the subject you are qualified to teach it regardless of whether you attend the methodology.

I don't know if applies to all subjects about the methodologies but I do know for CSPE you have to attend the methodology http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/General_and_Special_Requirements_for_Degree_Recognition_June2011%2053901607.pdf (see page 20. I can't remember but I think there were others. Its better to find out now instead of having to go back and pay more fees. And from personal experience the Teaching Council just love taking money from you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I don't know if applies to all subjects about the methodologies but I do know for CSPE you have to attend the methodology http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/General_and_Special_Requirements_for_Degree_Recognition_June2011%2053901607.pdf (see page 20. I can't remember but I think there were others. Its better to find out now instead of having to go back and pay more fees. And from personal experience the Teaching Council just love taking money from you!!

Yes, I guessed CSPE may be like that as you cannot study it directly but for the other traditional subjects you don't have to take the methodologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

There's a good few subjects that require the dip methodology - CSPE, PE, Music, Religion, Construction, Engineering. There's probably others too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 debz61288

Hi Guys, what grade did yas get in your degree? Im hoping to apply this year for the 2013 course and just wondering if only those who hold a 1st with loads of experience get accepted? I have neither unfortunately :(

hey i think a first is needed generally or a high 2:1,depending on the college you want.experience not so important if you have good grades.not sure if you still get extra points for experience.anyone know?i got a high 2:1 but also have a MA so got extra points.prob wouldnt have got my first choice without it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

debz61288 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, what grade did yas get in your degree? Im hoping to apply this year for the 2013 course and just wondering if only those who hold a 1st with loads of experience get accepted? I have neither unfortunately :(

I got a low enough 2.1 with no teaching experience and got my first choice of UCD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

First Round Offers this year: http://www.pac.ie//pdeinfo/points.php?inst=pe

Points Calculation: http://www.pac.ie//pdeinfo/PointsCalc.php?inst=pe

Points were down this year in most colleges I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

tomissex wrote: »
    I got a low enough 2.1 with no teaching experience and got my first choice of UCD :)

...and don't let anyone tell you you won't make a great teacher.

Being good at getting marks in something has never been a guarantee of being good at teaching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

As you can see from the link above, the points are allocated on the basis of percentage in your degree.

Honours and Pass grades are not standardised across the colleges - not even within the colleges! For some people 60% is a 2:1, for others 60% is a 2:2. Check out the links and compare the points for your percentage to the cut off points for recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

tomissex wrote: »

Hi all,

I also am going to apply for the 2013 course, however looking at the points system I sadly dont think I will get a look in.

Is it just based on your grades plus work experience if applicable, or would there be interviews held for all applicants?

I know myself I did not achieve the highest grades in college, however I also know that wouldn't stop me from being a great teacher.

Thanks in advance

andymx11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I also am going to apply for the 2013 course, however looking at the points system I sadly dont think I will get a look in.

Is it just based on your grades plus work experience if applicable, or would there be interviews held for all applicants?

I know myself I did not achieve the highest grades in college, however I also know that wouldn't stop me from being a great teacher.

Thanks in advance

i did a masters after my degree which added extra points ensuring i got my first choice of maynooth.i did it for this reason as i wasnt sure i would get maynooth otherwise and its the handiest for me as i can commute easily.i also did it to give myself the year to confirm i definitely want to teach.if you can afford it its a good idea.not sure points still go for teaching experience,heard they changed that but not definite so check pac.interviews done for the trinity one as far as i know,not for the rest.correct me if im wrong though.maybe dcu do them too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

Hi Debz

I had a reasonably high 2.1 degree but also had an ordinary degree which gives a few more points. As I did the pgde the year after finishing the teachable degree my experience did not count. I got in the year I applied (07/08).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Starting teaching tomorrow :eek:
    Just wondering, with lesson plans, should it all be typed up or should "date, subject, objectives" etc be typed and then the rest just written in by hand?

Advertisement