Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

tomissex wrote: »
    Starting teaching tomorrow :eek:
    Just wondering, with lesson plans, should it all be typed up or should "date, subject, objectives" etc be typed and then the rest just written in by hand?

They'll expect it typed, defo. Half way through the year I got really sick of those daily reflections so just started handwriting those so I could make my writing big.

Typing is best so you can copy and paste stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

dory wrote: »
    They'll expect it typed, defo. Half way through the year I got really sick of those daily reflections so just started handwriting those so I could make my writing big.

Typing is best so you can copy and paste stuff.

Cool, that's what I thought. Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I think it will depend on your supervisor and which college whether you have to type it or not - my supervisor did not expect it typed in NUIM. I found it best to type the plan and handwrite the reflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

I think it will depend on your supervisor and which college whether you have to type it or not - my supervisor did not expect it typed in NUIM. I found it best to type the plan and handwrite the reflection.

Yeah I was thinking of doing typed plan and handwritten reflection. I'll see what they think whenever I meet them and I can always redo these first few to reflect what they say anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭pm123

This has probably been asked a billion times already but here goes:

My question is:

With Trinity College's PDE, because they do an interview, does this mean even if you don't get enough 'points' to get 'in' to the course (if you're one or two short), you may get in because of your subject choices (e.g. Irish) and because of your interview (if it goes well, if you come across well, etc.)? Do they make these kind of decisions/exceptions?

Likewise, in NUIM if you're one or two points off the cut off number of points, might they still accept you because of your subject choice (Irish, say)?

Appreciate your responses! Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

hi guys, quick question. are the points set to soar for the 2013 entry or come down. I know, its hard to predict, but I'm nervous as hell, haha, and will be applying when it opens next week!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Is anyone here doing the PDE in DCU?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 laurenpedro123

I'm 40 years old and have always wanted to be a teacher. I taught Irish dancing, trained employees throughout my HR career and I have taught in a CDVEC for one year - 20 hours per week. (Currently I have an undergraduate degree and a post-grad diploma in Business Business plus a Masters in HR).

I would dearly love to complete the Professional Diploma in Post Primary Education and have been seriously considering it for some time but with children etc it has been difficult until now (children in school and I now have a good childminder :).

I am trying to be objective in that age may not be on my side. Realistically I would be starting the course next year and therefore would only be finished when I'm 42/43 (depending on which course would be selected). In your experience and opinion, do you think I have probably missed the boat age-wise as prospective employers may not look too favourably on someone entering into the education arena later in life?

Any thoughts would be welcome. Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Caisy

pm123 wrote: »

With Trinity College's PDE, because they do an interview, does this mean even if you don't get enough 'points' to get 'in' to the course (if you're one or two short), you may get in because of your subject choices (e.g. Irish) and because of your interview (if it goes well, if you come across well, etc.)? Do they make these kind of decisions/exceptions?

Likewise, in NUIM if you're one or two points off the cut off number of points, might they still accept you because of your subject choice (Irish, say)?

In my experience with NUIM they rarely take people if they don't have the points, its possibly the hardest course to get.

If you have a lot of experience (ie 1 year+/teaching assistantship) they may still offer you a place if you do not a 2.1 degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭pm123

what about Trinity - might they let you in because of a good interview. I have a 2.1 but I'm about 2 points away from the 2012 cut off point so I'm hoping it doesn't go up for 2013... here's hoping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

I'm 40 years old and have always wanted to be a teacher. I taught Irish dancing, trained employees throughout my HR career and I have taught in a CDVEC for one year - 20 hours per week. (Currently I have an undergraduate degree and a post-grad diploma in Business Business plus a Masters in HR).

I would dearly love to complete the Professional Diploma in Post Primary Education and have been seriously considering it for some time but with children etc it has been difficult until now (children in school and I now have a good childminder :).

I am trying to be objective in that age may not be on my side. Realistically I would be starting the course next year and therefore would only be finished when I'm 42/43 (depending on which course would be selected). In your experience and opinion, do you think I have probably missed the boat age-wise as prospective employers may not look too favourably on someone entering into the education arena later in life?

Any thoughts would be welcome. Many thanks in advance.

Hi Laurenpedro,

I completed what was then the Post-Graduate Diploma in Education in 2009, and have been in the jobs market ever since. My two subjects are Arts subjects, one of which I have a Masters in. I went abroad the first year, came back and had been in the same school in Ireland up until June of this year. My honest advice to anyone contemplating a career in secondary teaching would be that unless you're going to be qualified in either Maths, Irish or French, be prepared for a lot of time searching for work, dropping in CVs to schools, and waiting for the phone to ring.

If teaching is something you really want to do, I would hate to tell you not to do it, but be under no illusions- the sector is in a state of contraction. Non-permanent staff are being cut so as to preserve the jobs of permanent staff (imho), and the demand for subjects other than the three I've listed is very weak. I've been lots of interviews in the last few months, and almost all the other applicants that I've talked to have a Masters and/or lots of experience teaching. Had I not the Masters and experience, I'm sure I wouldn't have even been called to interview. (I was talking to one girl for whom it was her first ever interview, and she graduated two years previously). I don't know your personal circumstances but if you're in a position whereby you can do the Dip but need to have a regular income straight after you complete it, proceed with extreme caution: I'd be prepared for the eventuality of still looking for a job when the following September comes around. In addition to jobs being very scarce, what jobs there are tend to be maternity/sick leaves, which little or no prospect of staying on after that leave (which can range from a few weeks to a year) ends.

I don't think your age would count against you; in fact, I get the impression during interviews that schools look favourably on people who have experience in the real world and then go into teaching because they really want it (as opposed to someone who gets to the final year of their degree and does teaching because they can't think of anything else to do).

Of course, despite the grim outlook, it is possible that you could do an excellent dip and get lucky with an interview for the right school. But in my honest opinion, for anyone not teaching Maths/Irish/French, it is very much odds against.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Hi all, i'm sorry if I seem rather base on this topic, but I've been trying to find out information about how to apply for the dip and how it all works. I'm currently a Final Year student in NUIG studying History and English (a common one I know). If anyone could help me out, that'd be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Hi lads graduated this year with a 2 2 so it looks like I will be applying to across the water. My degree is in humanities English, Religion and Media. Is it likely to still get a course? Where do I go to get information and apply?

Thank You and best of luck to everyone starting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

you apply in December to the Postgraduate Applications Centre www.pac.ie. All information on application is available on the website. There is a points system in place so you can work out your points based on your final degree percentage to see if you would qualify. 2012 points are available on the PAC website.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

orlabobs wrote: »
    Hi all, i'm sorry if I seem rather base on this topic, but I've been trying to find out information about how to apply for the dip and how it all works. I'm currently a Final Year student in NUIG studying History and English (a common one I know). If anyone could help me out, that'd be fantastic.
    Just to clarify the closing date for applications is in December so don't wait until then to start getting your application together.

pac.ie has all the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭martinak89

Hi everyone, I know this is probably getting to be the most common question asked here but I would really appreciate some help. I have a BSc. in Zoology and just finished my MSc. in Zooarchaeology, and since we all know archaeology jobs are rare I really want to get into becoming a science teacher. Most preferably I would like to be able to teach Jr Cert Science, and Leaving Cert Biology and Agricultural Science all of which I did in Secondary school.

So basically I'm just wondering where and what colleges that I should apply to to be able to teach these subjects? I'm honestly clueless on what to do :/ I would be aiming for starting the course around next year or the year after...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

martinak89 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I know this is probably getting to be the most common question asked here but I would really appreciate some help. I have a BSc. in Zoology and just finished my MSc. in Zooarchaeology, and since we all know archaeology jobs are rare I really want to get into becoming a science teacher. Most preferably I would like to be able to teach Jr Cert Science, and Leaving Cert Biology and Agricultural Science all of which I did in Secondary school.

So basically I'm just wondering where and what colleges that I should apply to to be able to teach these subjects? I'm honestly clueless on what to do :/ I would be aiming for starting the course around next year or the year after...

Make sure you actually can teach these and that your degree is recognised by the Teaching Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

As above, check with TC what you would be qualified to teach. I would think it's unlikely you could teach Ag Science with that degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I'm after checking the PAC websites list of recognised degrees (http://www.pac.ie//pdeinfo/recogniseddegrees.php?inst=pe). The only degree with Zoology in the title is: Bachelor of Science (Hons) Degree – Zoology & Animal Ecology from UCC - is this your degree? If it is the list states that you can teach Biology. If this is not your degree the Teaching Council will have to assess your qualifications and see what you can teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭martinak89

I'm after checking the PAC websites list of recognised degrees (http://www.pac.ie//pdeinfo/recogniseddegrees.php?inst=pe). The only degree with Zoology in the title is: Bachelor of Science (Hons) Degree – Zoology & Animal Ecology from UCC - is this your degree? If it is the list states that you can teach Biology. If this is not your degree the Teaching Council will have to assess your qualifications and see what you can teach.

Oh yes that's my degree! They must have just changed the name of it since I graduated! I've emailed the teaching council but really appreciate your help :) thank you ^_^

• Advertisement

Oh yes that's my degree! They must have just changed the name of it since I graduated! I've emailed the teaching council but really appreciate your help :) thank you ^_^

No problem - just check with the Teaching Council to be 100% - If you have the same degree with a different name they may want to assess your degree because they get another €200 to do it - you'll love dealing with the Teaching Council - they'll tell you 'it's not on our list of recognised degree courses' - have a look at other threads regarding the Teaching Council - there may be no problem but just to warn you. Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

hey guys, does anyone know what the fees are going to be once the 2 year course comes into place after the 2013 year is done. Is it going to be 6000 over the two years, split in half or 6000 per year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

hey guys, does anyone know what the fees are going to be once the 2 year course comes into place after the 2013 year is done. Is it going to be 6000 over the two years, split in half or 6000 per year.

I've been told it's bee €6500 every year so €13k in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Marie212

Thinking of applying for the H Dip beginning next year. Is it now a two year course?

Marie212 wrote: »
    Thinking of applying for the H Dip beginning next year. Is it now a two year course?

Marie the dip will be a two year programme from 2014. Info here: http://www.nuigalway.ie/careers/students/faq/teaching.html Good luck with it!!

Ah thanks :) I thought maybe the two year programme was in place for 2013. I'm in two minds at the minute between primary and secondary. I have an honours degree in Business but I've heard there are an abundance of business/accounting teachers in Ireland..

Ah thanks :) I thought maybe the two year programme was in place for 2013. I'm in two minds at the minute between primary and secondary. I have an honours degree in Business but I've heard there are an abundance of business/accounting teachers in Ireland..

Yes very difficult to decide! Have you any experience of both? I was reading a few posts up about the fees - I really don't think they could charge €13,000 for a two year programme! No-one would do it because the job prospects are not there! I would really recommend a career in teaching I only did the dip two years ago was working last year and loved every minute! There is also a quota for business degrees for secondary.

Yes very difficult to decide! Have you any experience of both? I was reading a few posts up about the fees - I really don't think they could charge €13,000 for a two year programme! No-one would do it because the job prospects are not there! I would really recommend a career in teaching I only did the dip two years ago was working last year and loved every minute! There is also a quota for business degrees for secondary.

No I don't have any experience at all. I've just graduated this summer and I'm really confused what to do next. Omg 13,000 would be crazy money to charge, no way would people want to do it. I think I would prefer primary to secondary but then there's the whole learning Irish again so I might look into the UK but the fees are probably mad there :confused: Thinking of maybe doing a CELTA course in the meantime and go travelling next year...

No I don't have any experience at all. I've just graduated this summer and I'm really confused what to do next. Omg 13,000 would be crazy money to charge, no way would people want to do it. I think I would prefer primary to secondary but then there's the whole learning Irish again so I might look into the UK but the fees are probably mad there :confused: Thinking of maybe doing a CELTA course in the meantime and go travelling next year...

Did you look at the Hibernia course for primary / secondary? If you do primary in the UK you have to pass an Irish exam and have to the History of Education exam to register in Ireland. If you do secondary you have to do the History exam and I think you would have to do one year in England.

• Advertisement

Did you look at the Hibernia course for primary / secondary? If you do primary in the UK you have to pass an Irish exam and have to the History of Education exam to register in Ireland. If you do secondary you have to do the History exam and I think you would have to do one year in England.

Yeah I was looking into that too but I don't think I would enjoy it as much because it's online :/ Where did you do your H Dip? I was thinking of Maynooth if I go for it :)

Advertisement