Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Teaching practice? Is it not the actual course (for whatever subject you ar teaching) taught to an actual class for a full year? How the hell do people manage to work for a year at a cost of €6500, with no pay? Even PhDs pay :confused:.

I don't know what happens now i.e. section 30 of the Teaching Council act (where everyone has to be registered to receive State funded pay) but when I did my dip we were able to do some substitution in the school - it wasn't a lot but it helped. You teach for 14 weeks (this may now have been changed) and do 15 hours of observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Teaching practice? Is it not the actual course (for whatever subject you ar teaching) taught to an actual class for a full year? How the hell do people manage to work for a year at a cost of €6500, with no pay? Even PhDs pay :confused:.

I think you probably need to do a bit more research. Different colleges structure the course differently but all of them are a mixture of your teaching practice and your lectures. For example in Maynooth you go to school Monday and Friday and go to college Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. In UCD it's school in the morning, college in the afternoon.

In terms of funding it, it's a busy year but some people manage to hold down a part time job. I did but it was tough going at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Bobsammy wrote: »
    I think you probably need to do a bit more research. Different colleges structure the course differently but all of them are a mixture of your teaching practice and your lectures. For example in Maynooth you go to school Monday and Friday and go to college Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. In UCD it's school in the morning, college in the afternoon.

In terms of funding it, it's a busy year but some people manage to hold down a part time job. I did but it was tough going at times.

Oh, I knew it wasn't full time teaching, that there where lectures going on around the class experiences, but it's essentially the same case doing a chemistry PhD and you get paid for that.
    Seriously, fair play to you for managing the course, class work and a part time job, but it sounds pretty nasty to me, like you have no free time and whats left of your money just goes to paying for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Oh, I knew it wasn't full time teaching, that there where lectures going on around the class experiences, but it's essentially the same case doing a chemistry PhD and you get paid for that.
    Seriously, fair play to you for managing the course, class work and a part time job, but it sounds pretty nasty to me, like you have no free time and whats left of your money just goes to paying for the course.

That is it pretty much to a tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Yeah that's pretty much it, give up your life for nine months, it's a very busy year but if you want to teach it has to be done! Well it wasn't quite that bad, it was manageable!
    Seriously though it is an awful amount of money to spend and the job situation is dire so you'd want to be very sure that teaching is what you want.
    You also need to be prepared for the possibility that it could be a good few years of subbing and temporary contracts - which means no holiday pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 callMeMrs

can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 courses in NUIG - PDE and PDE (Further Education) which is a part-time course. have just started looking into doing a course that will enable me to teach post-primary, though I have been out of university a few years now and working full-time so a part-time course would be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jezz09

Hi Guys, am thinking of applying for next year. I have read through the website regarding degree requirements and I think I'm ok but would like other opinions as I feel the explanations are not too clear. I have a Bachelor of Science degree from NUIM, the code of which was MH201 and is still listed on Nuim.ie as MH201 however in the recognised degree section of pac.ie is listed as MH04P? I am not too worried about this code discrepancy, I am more concerned with what subjects I can teach. In third year I studied Chem and Biology, and carried just Biology into fourth year. I know the TC would recognise the Biology as a teaching subject, my concern regards the Chemistry studied for 3 years of a 4 year degree course. Anybody got any experience with this, I imagine its a fairly common case. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I'm considering going into teaching, been preliminarily researching the PDE. I'll have 44 points when I do apply, next year in all likelihood. Will this be enough? I studied arts and have 70 credits in 2 leaving cert subjects. I'll also have 20 credits in a third, and 30 in business.

Any advice appreciated.

I'm considering going into teaching, been preliminarily researching the PDE. I'll have 44 points when I do apply, next year in all likelihood. Will this be enough? I studied arts and have 70 credits in 2 leaving cert subjects. I'll also have 20 credits in a third, and 30 in business.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi Pride Fighter, I just checked the points on the PAC website (http://www.pac.ie/pdeinfo/points.php?inst=pe) and it seems that you would have enough with 44 points. Check the Teaching Council website (they're also on the PAC website: http://www.pac.ie/pdeinfo/recogniseddegrees.php?inst=pe) for the subjects you'll be registered to teach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

From September the PDE will be a two year programme.

I heard that began in September 2014?? :O

• Advertisement

Siuin wrote: »
    I heard that began in September 2014?? :O

Hi Siuin, you're 100% correct, my mistake. Thread edited! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Jezz09 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, am thinking of applying for next year. I have read through the website regarding degree requirements and I think I'm ok but would like other opinions as I feel the explanations are not too clear. I have a Bachelor of Science degree from NUIM, the code of which was MH201 and is still listed on Nuim.ie as MH201 however in the recognised degree section of pac.ie is listed as MH04P? I am not too worried about this code discrepancy, I am more concerned with what subjects I can teach. In third year I studied Chem and Biology, and carried just Biology into fourth year. I know the TC would recognise the Biology as a teaching subject, my concern regards the Chemistry studied for 3 years of a 4 year degree course. Anybody got any experience with this, I imagine its a fairly common case. Thanks all.

How many credits of Chemistry have you in total?

Any advice appreciated.

Have you 70 credits in each subject or 70 in total? You need a minimum of 54 credits in a subject to be allowed to teach it. That means you won't be able to teach business or your third subject at all.

ViveLaVie wrote: »

Have you 70 credits in each subject or 70 in total? You need a minimum of 54 credits in a subject to be allowed to teach it. That means you won't be able to teach business or your third subject at all.

I have 70 in 2 subjects. I got a joint major from UCD, so have 70 credits in 2 subjects, 20 in a third and the rest of my degree was electives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I have 70 in 2 subjects. I got a joint major from UCD, so have 70 credits in 2 subjects, 20 in a third and the rest of my degree was electives.

There are other specific content requirements beyond simple credit totals.

Check here for both your degree and for the specific subject requirements:

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/AutoQuals/Autoquals%20updated%203rd%20February%202012.pdf

But also remember that people have been refused registration in the past even when their degree was on that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Hi all,

I'm looking to undertake the following:

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=BA&originating_school=

The subjects I'm interested in are History and Psychology.

Upon completion I would like to apply to do a course in primary school teaching.

I've had a look on the PAC website as suggested to see which subjects are on the list of qualified subjects and noticed history is there alright.

I know it says 'at least one subject', but again, just so I'm 100% clear - can somebody please tell me if this course would qualify me to take the post graduate course in primary school teaching?

Thanks.

There are other specific content requirements beyond simple credit totals.

Check here for both your degree and for the specific subject requirements:

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/AutoQuals/Autoquals%20updated%203rd%20February%202012.pdf

But also remember that people have been refused registration in the past even when their degree was on that list.

Cheers for the link. Everything seems in order for the subjects I did at degree level.

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Hi all,

Upon completion I would like to apply to do a course in primary school teaching.

I've had a look on the PAC website as suggested to see which subjects are on the list of qualified subjects and noticed history is there alright.

I know it says 'at least one subject', but again, just so I'm 100% clear - can somebody please tell me if this course would qualify me to take the post graduate course in primary school teaching?

Thanks.

Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Course currently costs 6500 but probably will rise slightly. From 2014 it will become a 2 year course and so the price will double.
    The first wrung on the ladder is now around 30000. However do not expect this in your first year. You may, if lucky, get lesser hours than the full 22 and so will not earn near to that amount.
    Students are not really classified as anything. If you are looking to get the grant I'm not sure what the stipulations are currently. It is classified as a level 8 course now so Im not sure where that leaves it.
    Its also called the PDE now- Professional Diploma in Education.

Is it for certain that the price will double once the two years come in. 12,000 grand for a course hardly could be fair. Would it not be halved over the two years perhaps? Have they released any info on this at all?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks.

You're looking at the secondary teaching instead of the primary stuff. With the primary post grad you could have a degree in scuba diving as long as you interview well and can speak good Irish.

dory wrote: »
    You're looking at the secondary teaching instead of the primary stuff. With the primary post grad you could have a degree in scuba diving as long as you interview well and can speak good Irish.

Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

What do you reckon will be the chances of getting an offer next April. I have a 2:1. Will the lack of jobs in the area make it any less competitive or will the fact that its going to be 2 years after 2013 rise the numbers. Any ideas? Getting nervous already :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What do you reckon will be the chances of getting an offer next April. I have a 2:1. Will the lack of jobs in the area make it any less competitive or will the fact that its going to be 2 years after 2013 rise the numbers. Any ideas? Getting nervous already :D

Depends what kind of 2.1. Obviously no one knows for sure but 66-67 upwards is often enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Does anyone have a link to further information on applying for a PGDE for Primary School Teaching in Scotland? Alternatively, would anyone be willing to exchange a view private messages with me on the subject? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

Hi guys, maybe some silly questions following.

I'm currently going through the process of applying for the HDip at moment. I have a question as regards eligible courses. I did Arts in UCD mostly during the evening and on some of transcripts it says B.A (Part-time). I'm pretty sure I should just click the general B.A Arts
    because that's what I have. Does it matter if it's part-time?

Also, when putting in my GPA do I adjust for the different scales used by UCD (4.2) and the PAC (4.3) or do they do that themselves?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

A low 2.1 (3.2) was enough last year for everywhere bar Maynooth which is always a little higher.

According to some lecturers it will double in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I'm filling out the form for Trinity at the moment and it's asking me to include teaching hours I might have accrued. I've been teaching abroad for the last 2 years (as a second language), I know this is a bit of a stupid question but I assume I'm supposed to include that or do they only want to know about subbing in for primary language learners?

Brimmy wrote: »
    I'm filling out the form for Trinity at the moment and it's asking me to include teaching hours I might have accrued. I've been teaching abroad for the last 2 years (as a second language), I know this is a bit of a stupid question but I assume I'm supposed to include that or do they only want to know about subbing in for primary language learners?

I was in the same position and didn't include that in my teaching hours part. They ask which school you taught in and whatnot, so I think they want 'official' work rather than a casual summer job. You can include it in other areas like your personal statement and the section on volunteering etc

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    A low 2.1 (3.2) was enough last year for everywhere bar Maynooth which is always a little higher.

According to some lecturers it will double in price.

Thanks for the info. If it doubles in price, I can't see many people doing it. Considering with the few jobs that are available. Doubling the price would cripple people.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Does PAC confirm receipt of supporting documentation? I sent mine last week and my seven day deadline for submission was yesterday. Being paranoid now and worried it wasn't received.

• Advertisement

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Does PAC confirm receipt of supporting documentation? I sent mine last week and my seven day deadline for submission was yesterday. Being paranoid now and worried it wasn't received.
    I sent mine a while back and never heard anything, so I don't think that they do

Advertisement