Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Siuin wrote: »
    I sent mine a while back and never heard anything, so I don't think that they do

No I never got any confirmation either.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

Does anybody know if online statements of results are acceptable? I mean, I sent the copies of my documents which have an access code at the bottom of the page which they can use to verify their authenticity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Heliotrope wrote: »
    Does anybody know if online statements of results are acceptable? I mean, I sent the copies of my documents which have an access code at the bottom of the page which they can use to verify their authenticity.

For an application to PAC you need to print them off and post them to the address stated on the application, whereas for Trinity you need to scan your results to a PDF form and include them in the documents you submit (along with a scan of the form you need your college to fill out)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bakergirl91

Hi there tried to see if there was an answer to my question but couldnt see it. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about filling out the PAC form ? i am really confused and beginning to panic over it. Are we to give our over all QCA so far into our undergraduate degree or the latest QCA from my last semester? .... and should it be in the QCA or GPA format ? possibly over thinking all of this... thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Hi there tried to see if there was an answer to my question but couldnt see it. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about filling out the PAC form ? i am really confused and beginning to panic over it. Are we to give our over all QCA so far into our undergraduate degree or the latest QCA from my last semester? .... and should it be in the QCA or GPA format ? possibly over thinking all of this... thanks !

I applied having finished my degree but afaik if you're in the middle of yours you just put down your overall average for your last year of results. Ring PAC on Monday to confirm as if you make a mistake your application won't be processed. So if you're in third year now, put down the average of your second year results. You can put it down in any format but I recommend going by whatever format your college uses. I just used a percentage.

• Advertisement

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I applied having finished my degree but afaik if you're in the middle of yours you just put down your overall average for your last year of results. Ring PAC on Monday to confirm as if you make a mistake your application won't be processed. So if you're in third year now, put down the average of your second year results. You can put it down in any format but I recommend going by whatever format your college uses. I just used a percentage.

Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

Does PAC confirm receipt of supporting documentation? I sent mine last week and my seven day deadline for submission was yesterday. Being paranoid now and worried it wasn't received.

Hey was a little worried about that too - but I dropped them an email and they got back to me saying that they don't send out any acknowledgement. So alls waiting till April. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Hey was a little worried about that too - but I dropped them an email and they got back to me saying that they don't send out any acknowledgement. So alls waiting till April. :)

And what a long wait!!! Feel like I'm waiting for Leaving Cert results again :eek:

And what a long wait!!! Feel like I'm waiting for Leaving Cert results again :eek:
    Yeah! Is it really April?! I thought we were supposed to be finding our placements in schools in March..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Yeah! Is it really April?! I thought we were supposed to be finding our placements in schools in March..?

It's definately April that the offers come out. 1st of April. Unless its changed. I'm not sure, but the University I've applied to, sends out a list of the schools that take student teachers for placement. I cant imagine it would be a good idea to have a school sorted before you get an offer. Be awkward if you didn't get a place that year and then re-apply for the same school the following year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Unless you know the school well (past student or know a member of staff) schools won't really want to see you that early in the year with everything else that goes on. You could try anyway though no harm.

does anyone know if the trinity application was purely online or had we to send additional information ?

does anyone know if the trinity application was purely online or had we to send additional information ?
    There was a 2 page form called PG_proforma which should have been filled out by your university's offices just to confirm the authenticity of the exam results you should have sent in with it.

There was a 2 page form called PG_proforma which should have been filled out by your university's offices just to confirm the authenticity of the exam results you should have sent in with it.

I scanned that in with my application and attached it ? are we to send it in the post aswell?

I scanned that in with my application and attached it ? are we to send it in the post aswell?
    Oops, sorry- you're right- I was thinking about the PAC application- the scan and upload to Trinity would be grand

Hold on! I was right the first time. You'll see at the end of that form for Trinity:
    (Please return to: Document Verification Unit, Graduate Studies Office, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin 2, Ireland)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 DW2014

Hi,

I am thinking about doing the PDE next year and have my application in. I was just wondering am i mad. I have a good job in the private sector. Good money. Morgage also. Its looks like i wont get any grants/social welfare help. It will cost around 7k plus morgage payments for the time i am in the course. I would end up teaching science and chemistry. Does anyone know if these subjects are in demand? I understand few jobs out there and more grads every year looking for them. Can i expect around 15k the first couple of years subbing etc? as i have seen in some posts.
    I really wana do it but is it a mistake? I always wanted to do it but said i would get a bit of experience first and since its two years from next year this is really my last chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mr.BA

DW2014 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am thinking about doing the PDE next year and have my application in. I was just wondering am i mad. I have a good job in the private sector. Good money. Morgage also. Its looks like i wont get any grants/social welfare help. It will cost around 7k plus morgage payments for the time i am in the course. I would end up teaching science and chemistry. Does anyone know if these subjects are in demand? I understand few jobs out there and more grads every year looking for them. Can i expect around 15k the first couple of years subbing etc? as i have seen in some posts.
    I really wana do it but is it a mistake? I always wanted to do it but said i would get a bit of experience first and since its two years from next year this is really my last chance.

There would be a huge demand especially with chemistry! I'm assuming you can teach maths too :)

Mr.BA wrote: »
    There would be a huge demand especially with chemistry! I'm assuming you can teach maths too :)

No there is not "huge demand". The only subject that I have recently heard that was hard to fill was German.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Mardy Bum wrote: »

No there is not "huge demand". The only subject that I have recently heard that was hard to fill was German.

Mardy Bum, would there be any work for French and/or English? I'm fairly certain that English is oversubscribed but I'm not sure about languages.

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum, would there be any work for French and/or English? I'm fairly certain that English is oversubscribed but I'm not sure about languages.

Im not sure about French. All I know for certain is that one school found it extremely difficult to fill a German position (it was not permanent but it was a few months contract).

French would be easier to find a job in than English and most other subjects though but I'm not sure to what extent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know one school was waiting months to fill an Irish position. The same school had over 300 applicants for a four hour Chemistry position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I would say there is little to no demand for science and chemistry - especially without maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

As a rule of thumb and depressing as it sounds you can really take it that there is no demand for any subject for RPT position really. In some areas such as Irish schools may find it hard to fill short term positions but teaching is hugely over subscribed. People say there is demand in maths, I also know that there were over 200 qualified applicants for a 14hr position last summer. That's ignoring those who weren't qualified

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mr.BA

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Eh well there is a huge demand for chemistry teachers as there is far too many biology!!! I know at least 30 schools in Dublin crying out for Chemistry teachers! And German will cease to be on the leaving cert course in the next 10 years as not many are picking it and instead opt for
    Spanish and French!! Also Italian is being introduced in a lot of new schools!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I know at least 30 schools in Dublin crying out for Chemistry teachers!

First of all, where are these ads for 30 schools crying out for chemistry teachers? I know my VEC as a whole certainly has no shortage.

Secondly, chemistry alone, even with science, is unlikely to give you full hours except in a very big school where you are the sole chemistry teacher.

Also, there might be lots more biology teachers, but there's also lots more students taking biology at LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Eh well there is a huge demand for chemistry teachers as there is far too many biology!!! I know at least 30 schools in Dublin crying out for Chemistry teachers! And German will cease to be on the leaving cert course in the next 10 years as not many are picking it and instead opt for

Mr BA unless you can provide evidence of these 30 posts I will need to edit your post as its very misleading for PGDE students.

There is not a single chemistry job advertised on educationcareers or education posts at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 DW2014

My next question if not able to make full time hours with chemistry for the leaving and science for the junior with the PDE surly the course is misleading?. It’s a course to become a part time secondary school teacher. To my knowledge you can only take two subjects in PDE Major and minor. You then teach both. How do you take on a third subject?

I would be doing mine in Trinity and would work in a school for the entire year and think my only chance for decent hours really would be if something came up there the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I am hoping to late apply for the PDE in NUIG. I know I have until the 9th january to get everything sorted but there is one thing I dont understand. I have a 1st class hons degree in English and Media so obviously - english would be my main subject. In 1st year, I minored in History. Can I put this down as a 2nd subject or not? If not, what do I do!? the form is quite confusing. Do I just put down CSPE?

Thanks for any advice! I was planning on going with Hibernia but I didnt realise there was still a chance of getting in for 1 year in Galway so I really want to try for this.

• Advertisement

Stop misleading people. I find it extremely hard to believe that you know the individual circumstances of one school let alone thirty.

Advertisement