Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

Does anyone know for certain that the course fee will double? That's quite a high price to pay, I mean you won't be earning anything significant for two years, not to mention little or nothing jobs wise when you graduate

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Smashius_Clay

I need some advice, pronto. I missed the 6:00pm deadline for submitting my application to do a PGDE in Scotland through the GGTR by a couple of hours, owing to the fact that my principal referee did not respond in time. I rang the Senior Admissions Assistant the following day to explain, but they were rather unsympathetic. When I enquired again last week, I received the following email.
    Your application was not received at GTTR until after the 6th December deadline and is therefore classed as Late. At present we have allocated all our interview spaces and we may not have to consider any late applications for 2013.

We are currently awaiting confirmation of our intake figure for 2013 and as soon as we have that a decision will be made on your application. You can of course withdraw it at any time from our university and it will pass to your next choice.

Please let me know what you wish to do.

Should I just withdraw my application from their college and have it go to my second choice?

I am really unsure what to do. A month has passed since the deadline, so surely if my application was passed on to my second choice it would be classified as late too? Am I as well to leave it with my first choice? From the sounds of it it doesn't look as though I'll be called for an interview. Would I have a better chance with my second choice?

I would really appreciate some advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

I need some advice, pronto. I missed the 6:00pm deadline for submitting my application to do a PGDE in Scotland through the GGTR by a couple of hours, owing to the fact that my principal referee did not respond in time. I rang the Senior Admissions Assistant the following day to explain, but they were rather unsympathetic. When I enquired again last week, I received the following email.

Should I just withdraw my application from their college and have it go to my second choice?

I am really unsure what to do. A month has passed since the deadline, so surely if my application was passed on to my second choice it would be classified as late too? Am I as well to leave it with my first choice? From the sounds of it it doesn't look as though I'll be called for an interview. Would I have a better chance with my second choice?

Whats is your second choice? If they suggest you move to your second choice then do it. But whatever you do don't withdraw! The whole GTTR system ive heard from friends can be a big mess. Ive yet to hear of people having a simple application process with them.

Best of luck!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Mr.BA wrote: »
    Eh well there is a huge demand for chemistry teachers as there is far too many biology!!! I know at least 30 schools in Dublin crying out for Chemistry teachers! And German will cease to be on the leaving cert course in the next 10 years as not many are picking it and instead opt for
    Spanish and French!! Also Italian is being introduced in a lot of new schools!!

I know others have said this but it needs to be stated that the above is simply not true. Italian is being dropped in many schools. My own school is cutting Spanish. They simply made French compulsary again and suddenly no one wanted to do another language so they need less language teachers.
    And how anyone could know the needs of 30 schools...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 budlia

Oh my god! Starting to freak out now!! I have applied and am waiting for my references. Was only in the careers office on Monday and the woman told me I had loads of time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 pmoore2007

can anyone PM me or inform me on what schools are approved by maynooth to do my teaching practise in? I cannot find any information anywhere. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OD1990

pmoore2007 wrote: »
    can anyone PM me or inform me on what schools are approved by maynooth to do my teaching practise in? I cannot find any information anywhere. Thanks a lot.

Hey, Im doing the PDE in Maynooth now. I know we got sent a list of schools when we got our offer in April but I dont have it anymore. There are people in schools al throughout Dublin, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Kildare and Carlow, Portlaoise, Bray.

You'll get a list of the schools in those areas on the department website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

I'd imagine you dont need to worry about that until you get an offer. Colleges send out a list usually and you'll have time to contact the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

They are available on a page online that you get access to once you accept your offer on the PAC website after April 1. You will have plenty of time to send your CVs out then. NUIM specify that your school has to be within a 50 mile radius of Maynooth but there are people this year who are slightly outside that.

I was looking to do my teaching practise in dundalk but it is 82km shortest route from maynooth. Would this be ok by my calculation 50 miles is roughly 80 km so should be allowed to do a placement here but im not sure. A friend of mine did theirs in Dundalk a year or 2 back and it was ok. not sure if rules are stricter now. The school i want to apply to is on the approved list. But i have heard of cases where people have applied to schools and maynooth have refused to allow placement in that school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I was looking to do my teaching practise in dundalk but it is 82km shortest route from maynooth. Would this be ok by my calculation 50 miles is roughly 80 km so should be allowed to do a placement here but im not sure. A friend of mine did theirs in Dundalk a year or 2 back and it was ok. not sure if rules are stricter now. The school i want to apply to is on the approved list. But i have heard of cases where people have applied to schools and maynooth have refused to allow placement in that school.

Dundalk is still acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

Are you applying to schools already? I'd be worried I wouldn't get a place :o:(

Don't know why people are worrying now about school placement. Wait for your offer first at least before you go making commitments and contacting schools you might never end up even going to. 1st April is the offer date, its not that far away.

Im not too worried about applying to schools just yet i will apply in april if i get a place i was just confirming i can actually do my placement at home. The maynooth website wasnt very helpful. cheers for the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kikibo531

Hi - I would really appreciate any advice please! I have applied to UCD, Maynooth and Trinity for the PDE in Sept 2013. I hear it's extremely competitive and I have no real teaching experience. What are my chances of getting in, or even getting called for interview?
    I have also applied for the PDE part-time with Hibernia College. Does anyone have any opinions on Hibernia?? When going for job interviews is it looked upon in the same way as Trinity or an NUI? I would love to hear some thoughts?
    Thanks, K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

kikibo531 wrote: »
    Hi - I would really appreciate any advice please! I have applied to UCD, Maynooth and Trinity for the PDE in Sept 2013. I hear it's extremely competitive and I have no real teaching experience. What are my chances of getting in, or even getting called for interview?
    I have also applied for the PDE part-time with Hibernia College. Does anyone have any opinions on Hibernia?? When going for job interviews is it looked upon in the same way as Trinity or an NUI? I would love to hear some thoughts?
    Thanks, K

Hibernia secondary course is brand new so there is no one out there who can tell you how it is perceived.
    If you have a middling 2:1 you should get in to the NUIs but its hard to know if there will be a points increase this year as it will be the last single year course therefore there may be a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Thanks, K

Don't forget, you can do the dip in DCU too. It is done over two years and lectures take place on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Huckster

Does anyone know if Trinity award scholarships based on BA results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Thanks, K

I'm in UCD at the moment. Had no teaching experience either, its entry is just based on degree grade. A low 2.1 got me in but as someone else said the points might increase this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Hey, does anyone know what the rate of pay is for substitution/supervision is for PDE students that get a few classes while on TP? I found http://www.asti.ie/uploads/media/0019-2012_Revised_Rates_of_Pay_in_respect_of_S_S_for_the_2011-2012_school_year.pdf but I'm not sure which rate applies...

Just thought if anyone has any experience of it cause I'm sure quite a lot of student teachers are given a few classes to take.

Go raibh maith agaibh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Student teachers very rarely get substitution hours in our place as we have so many part timers on crappy contracts and we try to boost them first.

I would expect if students do get some hours it would at be the unqualified rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 miims

Hello all,

I have applied for the PDE starting in September 2013, and I was just wondering if anyone here could give me the names of any of the textbooks used or recommended reading during the course? I contacted the college but they didn't want to give me a list for some reason.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 vermafogli

Have you got course acceptance?

No, I think offers are generally in April for PAC applications?
    Think I have a fairly good chance of being accepted, unless the points sky-rocket this year (which is possible seeing as how from next year on it'll be a 2 year course!)

Yes that's what I'm afraid of also and I have a business degree so I think my chances may be slim, although I have a 2:1

It's very hard to know isn't it, this year could be very unpredictable! At least if you apply to Trinity too you have an interview, so that could help. There's also the hibernia courses, although I'm not sure what they base their applications on. Fingers crossed!

Yep have applied to trinity and UL. Will do Hibernian course if I don't get the others although its a two year course and I'm not sure if I could work in my current full time position and do the required teaching practice. Hope to get into one of the colleges and complete it in one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

Thanks, K

I got into the PDE, no questions asked so I don't think it's too hard! Getting a school for placement is a bit harder! I don't know anyone who studied in Hibernia, but I would go for the University route, as teaching is a competitive enough industry and I think the PDE/Trinity qualification might look better!

What are the chances of getting in this year, I wonder. I'm guessing the new two year course will push numbers up this year probably.

• Advertisement

I hoping they won't go up. I'm really hoping to get onto the course this year. I'm 30 so really hope they don't :rolleyes:

Advertisement