Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 keithconnolly

ana.hol wrote: »
    Hi Keith, I just got offered Maynooth too, congrats. Have you heard any tips about getting teaching placement? I don't know whether to go in person or what to put in cover letter etc!

Congrats too :) , emm meeting my old principal on tuesday to discuss a few things so will probably take things from there ,unsure about whether I want to teach in that school though as I would know quite a few pupils from soccer coaching in the area . Will send out CV's too .What about yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LauraF89

nellnewman wrote: »
    Hey everybody, I'm a newbie to boards.ie and I'm looking for some help and advice. I recently got offered my PDE in NUIG and I've been in shock since I wasn't expecting it but I'm excited as well as terrified!! I guess I just don't no where to start!?!!!:confused: I know teaching placement is vital and should be organised asap so I'm wondering has anyone any pointers on how to make my cv and cover letter stand out from the crowd? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!! Also I know that some colleges require that you do your teaching placement in a school within a certain radius to the college and I'm just wondering does anybody know if NUIG is one of those colleges? I haven't seen it in anything I've read but I just want to be certain.

Thanks!!!

Nell :)

Hey Nell! I have also been offered my PDE in NUIG! I'm new to this to so have no clue about cvs and cover letters! Have you sent any out so far?! I do no that NUIG has no certain radius to the college though just as long as its on the list which is on the NUIG website! Hope this helps! What subject are you doing? As i do not live in galway, i think i will try to get my placement near home seen as the TP is in blocks so will be cheaper when it comes to accommodation!

Laura :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ana.hol

Hi all, just got my TP sorted in the school I wanted! I think it depends on the individual school whether to email/write/call in person. I called in person with a cover letter and my cv.
    (used this a a guide: https://careers.nuim.ie/sites/careers.nuim.ie/files/images/Teaching%20practice%20plan%20final%20%202012.pdf ) The first school told me to go home and send an email, and also said they usually give preference to past pupils. The second school told me they weren't taking any PDE students next year as they had too many last year and it affected the pupils but then I told them I had teaching experience and after a chat they ended up saying yes to me! So I think it is a bit of luck too. Definitely go in person and bring cover letter & cv, the worst they can say is 'principal not available' and you can leave it there for them to see later. Hope this advice helps.
    Good luck to everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 yellowlor

Does anyone know, when do schools usually get back to you once you've emailed them? i rang them all and they all said send in emails to them, so i have but no one has got back to me yet??? does it usually take a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nellnewman

LauraF89 wrote: »
    Hey Nell! I have also been offered my PDE in NUIG! I'm new to this to so have no clue about cvs and cover letters! Have you sent any out so far?! I do no that NUIG has no certain radius to the college though just as long as its on the list which is on the NUIG website! Hope this helps! What subject are you doing? As i do not live in galway, i think i will try to get my placement near home seen as the TP is in blocks so will be cheaper when it comes to accommodation!

Laura :)

Hey Laura, thanks very much for getting back to me!! Congrats on getting your placement!! No, I haven't sent any out yet I'm hoping to have sent out some by this evening and perhaps make a visit to the school closest to me that's on the list as I'm the same as you for financial reasons I'm hoping to get into a school nearby. I'm trying to put my CV and cover letter together at the min and hopefully get kick started then. Have you emailed any schools yet?? my subjects are history and religion what about you?? for my cover letter i was told just state your looking for TP because you've been offered the PDE and state your subjects, hope that helps, its all a bit overwhelming isn't it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Balmom

Just wondering for those who have places for next year, how many have schools organised for teaching placements and those who don't, how are you finding it? Just getting worried so would love to know how others getting on thanks. I got offered UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nellnewman

Balmom wrote: »
    Just wondering for those who have places for next year, how many have schools organised for teaching placements and those who don't, how are you finding it? Just getting worried so would love to know how others getting on thanks. I got offered UCD.

Hey Balmom, i started emailing my local schools yesterday but i've heard nothing back as of yet, so i might make a few phone calls and perhaps make a visit to the school that is closest to me and fingers crossed, but try not to worry it'll all come together:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Littlepea

Hi all,
    I've been offered a place in UCD and am in the process of sending out CVs to try and secure a place for teaching practice but as I only have one subject (English) I'm wondering what I should put as my second subject? Presume it will have to be CSPE??
    Will this go against my chances of getting a placement?
    I did my degree in the 90s and have been working as a local journalist since then.
    I haven't told work I will be leaving to do the PDE and am also wondering what the chances are that the schools could contact work for a reference?
    Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 42 keithconnolly

ana.hol wrote: »
    Hi all, just got my TP sorted in the school I wanted! I think it depends on the individual school whether to email/write/call in person. I called in person with a cover letter and my cv.
    (used this a a guide: https://careers.nuim.ie/sites/careers.nuim.ie/files/images/Teaching%20practice%20plan%20final%20%202012.pdf ) The first school told me to go home and send an email, and also said they usually give preference to past pupils. The second school told me they weren't taking any PDE students next year as they had too many last year and it affected the pupils but then I told them I had teaching experience and after a chat they ended up saying yes to me! So I think it is a bit of luck too. Definitely go in person and bring cover letter & cv, the worst they can say is 'principal not available' and you can leave it there for them to see later. Hope this advice helps.
    Good luck to everyone!!

Congrats , what are your subjects ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭halfmoon123

I'm doing the PDE in UCD in September, and have been offered teaching hours in a school for complete hours for my Main Subject and then 1 class for my Second Subject - UCD states that you need at least two periods a week in your second subject - so does this mean I can't take this school's offer now????? Can you risk it and just do 1 period in your second subject? Or if it's a double does that mean it's two periods??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 tippy25

Congrats to everyone who got their offers. Speaking as someone who should have been in the same position (I would have liked to have hoped) around now, I have to go back to college and finish my MA in September meaning that earliest (providing I can finance it without burying myself in loans) I can apply for the PDE is December 2014 for the 2015 intake. God knows what the teaching situation will be then but I have always aspired to be a teacher and many of my friends are teachers at Primary or Secondary level.

I'm sorry for taking away slightly from the conversation about securing TP but anybody know where I can get more info about the PDE course from now on given that it's being extended over 2 years?

Thanks, much appreciated, and best of luck planning for your next year of college!

Tippy25

I'm just going on what current lecturers in the PDE have said, but I think you will be teaching Junior Certs in the first year and then you will have to teach leaving Certs in the second, pretty sure its going to cost double the amount it does now as well????

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

I'm doing the PDE in UCD in September, and have been offered teaching hours in a school for complete hours for my Main Subject and then 1 class for my Second Subject - UCD states that you need at least two periods a week in your second subject - so does this mean I can't take this school's offer now????? Can you risk it and just do 1 period in your second subject? Or if it's a double does that mean it's two periods??????

a double is 2 periods!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

Littlepea wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've been offered a place in UCD and am in the process of sending out CVs to try and secure a place for teaching practice but as I only have one subject (English) I'm wondering what I should put as my second subject? Presume it will have to be CSPE??
    Will this go against my chances of getting a placement?
    I did my degree in the 90s and have been working as a local journalist since then.
    I haven't told work I will be leaving to do the PDE and am also wondering what the chances are that the schools could contact work for a reference?
    Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
    TIA

Congrats!! I did English and CSPE, it didn't harm my chances but I had to be very quick and start applying that very day - the demand is huge. They will most likely contact your work - yes. Maybe time to break it to them?

Hi I got UCD too and English is the only subject I have also. I think you can choose any subject but you won't be qualified to teach it, usual ones are CSPE and RE. I did my degree a long time ago too so glad someone in similiar position. Any luck in getting a school yet?

Congrats, lucky you. Did you get a school near UCD. Like others Im still waiting. EMailed and rang around but then told to email so might try to drop in and see how it goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 McMenny

nellnewman wrote: »
    Hey everybody, I'm a newbie to boards.ie and I'm looking for some help and advice. I recently got offered my PDE in NUIG and I've been in shock since I wasn't expecting it but I'm excited as well as terrified!! I guess I just don't no where to start!?!!!:confused: I know teaching placement is vital and should be organised asap so I'm wondering has anyone any pointers on how to make my cv and cover letter stand out from the crowd? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!! Also I know that some colleges require that you do your teaching placement in a school within a certain radius to the college and I'm just wondering does anybody know if NUIG is one of those colleges? I haven't seen it in anything I've read but I just want to be certain.

Thanks!!!

Nell :)

Hey Nell, I got offered my PDE in NUIG too. Wasn't really expecting it either and I'm very nervous about the whole thing now! I don't think you have to do your placement within a certain radius of the college. Friends of mine have done the PDE in galway and done their placement in Donegall! Im hoping to do mine at home in donegal too (fingers crossed). Have you sent out many CV's and cover letters yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gavo32

Hi all,

I got a place in NUIG & I sent around 20 applications in Galway either by going to the schools or by email. A pretty mixed response I have to say, a lot of schools stated that they usually take on past pupils and that if there is 1 or 2 places left, the others will compete for places. Most schools also said they will not decide until May/June until all applications are in.

Since then, I received an offer of placement in my former school in Mayo. I am really undecided whether to accept the offer or not. My preference would be Galway as I would be renting here and of course attending lectures & access to the library instead of living in Galway & Mayo through the year.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I would regret if I accepted placement in Mayo & then got offered a school in Galway. In saying this, I really appreciate the offer of placement. Is there any people who lived from home and then in Galway during the lectures, how did ye arrange accommodation etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

gavo32 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got a place in NUIG & I sent around 20 applications in Galway either by going to the schools or by email. A pretty mixed response I have to say, a lot of schools stated that they usually take on past pupils and that if there is 1 or 2 places left, the others will compete for places. Most schools also said they will not decide until May/June until all applications are in.

Since then, I received an offer of placement in my former school in Mayo. I am really undecided whether to accept the offer or not. My preference would be Galway as I would be renting here and of course attending lectures & access to the library instead of living in Galway & Mayo through the year.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I would regret if I accepted placement in Mayo & then got offered a school in Galway. In saying this, I really appreciate the offer of placement. Is there any people who lived from home and then in Galway during the lectures, how did ye arrange accommodation etc?

Aye, I rented for the first semester because you will be in college for 2/3 of the time up to Christmas, if the format stays the same next year. After Christmas we only had one 4 week block and 1 final week at the end in college. There was no way in hell I was going paying for accommodation in Galway from mid-December to mid-May and me only actually being there for five weeks out of that time. I ended up commuting/not bothering to go/staying with friends or relations for the four week block in college in February. Other people stayed in B&Bs or hostels for a few nights. The thing is, if you're in Mayo, you could head up Monday morning and return to Castlebar Thursday evening so it's only really 3 nights you would need to stay. There are no lectures on Fridays, usually. I ended up skipping a good few lectures in that 4 week block...wasn't always worth my time going up for a one-hour lecture when I had som much work to do myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gavo32

Cygnus wrote: »
    Aye, I rented for the first semester because you will be in college for 2/3 of the time up to Christmas, if the format stays the same next year. After Christmas we only had one 4 week block and 1 final week at the end in college. There was no way in hell I was going paying for accommodation in Galway from mid-December to mid-May and me only actually being there for five weeks out of that time. I ended up commuting/not bothering to go/staying with friends or relations for the four week block in college in February. Other people stayed in B&Bs or hostels for a few nights. The thing is, if you're in Mayo, you could head up Monday morning and return to Castlebar Thursday evening so it's only really 3 nights you would need to stay. There are no lectures on Fridays, usually. I ended up skipping a good few lectures in that 4 week block...wasn't always worth my time going up for a one-hour lecture when I had som much work to do myself.

Cheers for the reply. It seems to be the same structure of timetable this year also. I see there's 2 weeks where it says 'Teaching Practice- induction'. Does that take place in the college or in your placement? After these 2wks there it says 'Teaching Practice' (1wk), then Mid Term and then 2wks of teaching practice followed by college until the Christmas holidays. How did you manage to get accommodation in Galway for one semester, was it hard to find somewhere or did you just stay with friends, with them knowing you wouldn't be staying there in semester 2. Also, when you were on placement away from Galway, did you manage the assignments alright (Group work etc)?

Did you find that Galway was very hard to get teaching practice in because you weren't a past pupil/ your pals have trouble too?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Teaching Practice Induction I expect will be in the school. If it's the same as for us, it's just a case that you don't have to take all of your timetabled hours straight. You can take some in the first week, more the second week and then by the third week you take your full timetable. It's just a case of easing you into teaching, rather than having maybe 12 or so classes to teach on your first week.

Accommodation-wise, I just rang up ads from the advertiser etc. which advertised one room to let. I was considering taking out a 6 or 9 month lease, knowing full well that I was going to break it at Christmas, but I was lucky that I went to look at a room and the landlord was willing to let it on a month-by-month basis. If you find anyone else in the course moving up, I'm sure you'd be able to find a house to let on a short-term basis. It's a lot harder if you're just looking for one room in a house. rent.ie is a good place for short-term leases I think, and this thread might get you in contact with some others that would be willing to go together and get a house till December together.

Had no problem whatsoever with group assignments while on TP. The Professional Studies one due on teh 16 December is the only really big group project that needs to be done, but you have five weeks to do that with your group after you return to college from Block 1 of TP. They also have facilities online designed to allow you to carry out group work etc. I never really used it though.

I didn't apply for TP in any schools in Galway. I wanted to be able to do it back home because I thought it would be stupid to be paying rent in Galway when I can just do it at home. I know three people on TP in the city. I know one of them had trouble getting a place and she ended up getting offered a place out east of the city so it's a bus journey into the city centre for her. I'm not sure if the others had trouble. I know the Bish took on too many TP students this year and because they couldn't cater for all of them to be teaching approx 12 classes a week during the blocks of TP, they have to teach a smaller number of classes a week, alongside lectures etc. for the whole year, rather than having a block of pure TP.

Balmom wrote: »
    Hi I got UCD too and English is the only subject I have also. I think you can choose any subject but you won't be qualified to teach it, usual ones are CSPE and RE. I did my degree a long time ago too so glad someone in similiar position. Any luck in getting a school yet?

Hi Balmom,
    Great to know there'll be another old timer on the course! ;0)
    I've phoned and emailed a good few schools but haven't heard anything back yet from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭compgeek

Hi All,

I'm glad to see some of you have your TP hours sorted. I'm still working on the CV unfortunately, but really have to get moving now.

In terms of TP, you need 110 hours- does this have to be in your subjects (that the TC approves) only?

I would be worried that I wouldn't be able to get enough hours of teaching in my subjects, could I also teach CSPE/SPHE to fill up the TP hours?

Thanks, CompGeek.

I think it only applies to the two subjects that you have a undergraduate degree in. The ones you will be supervised in. Being honest it will be fairly easy to get the 110 hours done. What are your subjects? And what college are you going to?

Karpops wrote: »
    Congrats!! I did English and CSPE, it didn't harm my chances but I had to be very quick and start applying that very day - the demand is huge. They will most likely contact your work - yes. Maybe time to break it to them?

Yes I think you're right about telling work. How did you find it looking for work with English and CSPE? An earlier poster seemed to say it was nigh on impossible as CSPE hours are generally given as filler hours to other teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭compgeek

yellowlor wrote: »
    I think it only applies to the two subjects that you have a undergraduate degree in. The ones you will be supervised in. Being honest it will be fairly easy to get the 110 hours done. What are your subjects? And what college are you going to?

Hi Yellowlor,

Thank you for your reply.

My College is NUIG and my subjects are Business & ICT (these have already been checked with the TC).

I wouldn't be worried about the Business hours but I would be worried about ICT hours (as ICT is not an examinable subject in Irish secondary schools).

I guess 110 hours just seems like a big figure to me.

Thanks, CompGeek.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anywhere that does the Leaving Cert. Applied will have some classes in IT as a basic course is compulsory for all taking the LCA. There is also an elective IT specialism in the Leaving Cert. Applied which would require more class periods a week for the students doing it. The IT Specialism is an examinable subject, along with its task and key assignments.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

What has the response been to people's applications from the schools? I've only gotten a couple of "C.V received" and 2 definite interviews but not a peep from the rest. Worried about my old school's silence; went up there personally and chatted with teacher and secretary that remembered me but just missed principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

Heliotrope wrote: »
    What has the response been to people's applications from the schools? I've only gotten a couple of "C.V received" and 2 definite interviews but not a peep from the rest. Worried about my old school's silence; went up there personally and chatted with teacher and secretary that remembered me but just missed principal.

Where abouts are you doing your dip? I'v had no problem with Cork schools, if anything I feel overwhelmed with the amount of contact I've got. Decisions, ahhh.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

Doing it in Maynooth. How have you been delivering your C.V's, in person or e-mail?

Advertisement