Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Irishcailin89

Waiting on my permit, but originally had hoped to go last tues so either tues or sat next week. I live in the west, been to schools. rang them everything, all they said was send in your cv.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

That's frustrating alright. All I would say is not to stress too much - there has to be a school for you. The college will prob try sort it out - if it comes to it. The orals are this week too - so all the schools are prob all over the place at the moment. Best of Luck and enjoy Canada! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Irishcailin89

That's frustrating alright. All I would say is not to stress too much - there has to be a school for you. The college will prob try sort it out - if it comes to it. The orals are this week too - so all the schools are prob all over the place at the moment. Best of Luck and enjoy Canada! :)

Thanks very much. I'm trying to not stress as much now. :)Ya schools we probably crazy busy this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭compgeek

Hi All,

I would love if someone could tell me about the timetable of the PDE in NUIG. I understand TP is block release and you attend college outside of this.

Could someone tell me what plenary lectures are? Also, on average, how many hours a week are you in College (at lectures/workshops) etc?

Thanks, Compgeek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭airneal

compgeek wrote: »
    Hi All,

I would love if someone could tell me about the timetable of the PDE in NUIG. I understand TP is block release and you attend college outside of this.

Could someone tell me what plenary lectures are? Also, on average, how many hours a week are you in College (at lectures/workshops) etc?

Thanks, Compgeek

Hi,
    See this link,

http://www.nuigalway.ie/education/ite/pde/pde_home.html

Half way down the page you'll see this:

The 2013 - 2014 calender is available here

Just click and it will open up in a PDF. Plenary lectures are just the ordinary lectures. Wednesday and Thursday's are the busiest days. 3 or 4 lectures. But there are also Workshops, ICT Classes and Tutorials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 cittyka

Hi,
    Does anyone know if the UL PDE Laguage offers are out yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 steph0712

Hey,

Has anyone done the Postgraduate Diploma in Education at NUIG?

How did you enjoy it?

I am still unsure about the teaching, but I think now is my opportunity and I kind of need to accept my offer soonish.

Thanks in advance.

Steph

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭compgeek

Hi Airneal,

Thank you for your reply. Looks like Mondays will be busy for me too as both my methodologies are on this day too.

There seems to be a lot of free time in the Mornings, presumably for study/assignment etc. or is this when the workshops/tutorials are scheduled?

Thanks, Compgeek.

So you have to look for a school yourself?
    Does it very much depend on the subject combination you want to teach?
    I went for science and German...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

steph0712 wrote: »
    So you have to look for a school yourself?
    Does it very much depend on the subject combination you want to teach?
    I went for science and German...

It's not what you want to teach, it's what you are recognised to teach. What do you mean "went for" ? Are Science and German your degree subjects? Which science subject are you qualified in for LC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MarieClaire35

HAs anyone who was on a waiting list for Trinity heard about a place?

@ MissLockhart

I didn't do the Irish LC.
    So my subjects were German, Maths, Chemistry, Religious Studies, English.
    But also did others.
    My BSc(hons) also qualifies me for science.
    It is just a question about ease of getting a place for teaching experience.
    Maybe certain subject combinations do have it easier?!

@ MissLockhart

I didn't do the Irish LC.
    So my subjects were German, Maths, Chemistry, Religious Studies, English.
    But also did others.
    My BSc(hons) also qualifies me for science.
    It is just a question about ease of getting a place for teaching experience.
    Maybe certain subject combinations do have it easier?!

I'm sure certain subject combinatiins are easier to find a placement than others.

Just in relation to your subjects - I meant which Leaving Cert subject does your degree qualify you to teach? Did you do German in your degree?

I'm sure certain subject combinatiins are easier to find a placement than others.

Just in relation to your subjects - I meant which Leaving Cert subject does your degree qualify you to teach? Did you do German in your degree?

It's my mother tongue.
    I guess they wouldn't have offered my a space if I wouldn't be qualified to teach these subjects?!

Still just wondering about experiences and how other people enjoy it.
    I am still not sure if teaching is the thing for me - how did you know?

It's my mother tongue.
    I guess they wouldn't have offered my a space if I wouldn't be qualified to teach these subjects?!

Still just wondering about experiences and how other people enjoy it.
    I am still not sure if teaching is the thing for me - how did you know?

You are only qualified to teach what you have 55 degree credits in. You won't be qualified to teach German. The college don't make the decisions, the Teaching Council do. Your science degree must also be on the list of recognised degrees or it will need to be assesed by the TC. The TC will decide which of the three LC science subjects you can teach -it's highly unlikely to be all three.

I enjoyed the course. I found it busy but academically easy enough. I wouldn't recommend going into teaching unless you are dedicated to it because of the dreadful job prospects and the fact it is now essentially a part time profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jmatthews12

Hey all,
    Just wondering..Im doing the PDE in UCD from August. Has anyone who is going there received the Garda vetting form? They want it completed by June 4th. Do you think they are strict about the return date? As I currently live in a different country.

One other thing. I have taught in high schools in Asia, Do I have to get vetted for my experiences there also?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

Hey all,
    Just wondering..Im doing the PDE in UCD from August. Has anyone who is going there received the Garda vetting form? They want it completed by June 4th. Do you think they are strict about the return date? As I currently live in a different country.

One other thing. I have taught in high schools in Asia, Do I have to get vetted for my experiences there also?

You should complete your Garda vetting form asap. It can take months for vetting forms to be checked and longer if you have lived at a number of addresses and/or abroad. Because you've lived and worked in Asia, you should include this in your Garda vetting form, as well as your current foreign address.
    The vetting form is very important. You won't be allowed to teach children in schools at all, without being cleared first.
    I'm currently abroad too but my school emailed me the Garda vetting form. I filled it in and posted it back to my school about 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jmatthews12

@JFitzgerald, thanks for the feedback. Your school emailed it to you? UCD on its website said you could only do it by hardcopy which would be sent out to you, if I could go the email route that would be much easier though...

Also do I need to get vetted for all my experiences ( go to the Korean embassy and get vetted) or can I include it all on the one form from the Gardaí ? Could I ask the Gardaí to email me a vetting form maybe ?

Sorry for all the questions, its just made all the more trickier when you are abroad...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

@JFitzgerald, thanks for the feedback. Your school emailed it to you? UCD on its website said you could only do it by hardcopy which would be sent out to you, if I could go the email route that would be much easier though...

Also do I need to get vetted for all my experiences ( go to the Korean embassy and get vetted) or can I include it all on the one form from the Gardaí ? Could I ask the Gardaí to email me a vetting form maybe ?

Sorry for all the questions, its just made all the more trickier when you are abroad...

My placement school seems to have the responsibility of helping me sort my garda vetting. I'm going to UCC. UCD and their placement schools may have a different set-up. My school emailed me the garda vetting form which I printed off and completed but, yes, I had to post it back to the school in hardcopy form because they need my signature. My being abroad didn't cause any problems. My school seem pretty organised. they just said to get the form filled out asap.

There's a section on the vetting form where you must list every place you've lived so, yes, you should include Korea and anywhere else you've lived. The garda vetting will then follow up on your past addresses and contact the korean authorities themselves. You don't need to go to the Korean embassy or anything like that. I'm in Ukraine right now and I certainly didn't need to go to any embassy.

you could probably print the garda vetting form off online, i'm sure. If you have a placement school already perhaps they could advise you. but don't post the garda vetting form directly to the garda vetting office. the form has to be filled out by you and then returned to your placement school for further verification. your school should then send the vetting form to the garda vetting on your behalf.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 poppsicales

Hi I recently been accepted for the PDGE courseat UCC for 2013-2014.. i am in talks with a school, so that should be sorted out soon enough.. Just wondering if anyone had any advice for lesson planning. i will be doing English and cspe. i am a mother, so would like to try and be as prepared as i can be, so that i can try to have a balance..anyone got any good tips/resources....or know where i could view some sample leson plans????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hi I recently been accepted for the PDGE courseat UCC for 2013-2014.. i am in talks with a school, so that should be sorted out soon enough.. Just wondering if anyone had any advice for lesson planning. i will be doing English and cspe. i am a mother, so would like to try and be as prepared as i can be, so that i can try to have a balance..anyone got any good tips/resources....or know where i could view some sample leson plans????

Wait til you see what sort of class you have. Some lesson plans planned for one group could last for four lessons with another.

thankyou for your post...i guess im just trying to see what a lesson plan looks like, if there is any offical plans posted up somewhere to give me an idea of what is expected.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

thankyou for your post...i guess im just trying to see what a lesson plan looks like, if there is any offical plans posted up somewhere to give me an idea of what is expected.....

Just to give you an idea :)

Plan.png

And then there's space underneath for reflecting on the lesson. I presume the plans are similar in all the colleges.

thankyou...do you have any otehr advice??? im assuming you have done the course before???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

thankyou...do you have any otehr advice??? im assuming you have done the course before???

I'm doing it at the moment :) Best advice is keep on top of everything, coming to the end now and there are people scrambling to put their portfolio together (loads of plans and resources missing). If you can get your hands on Chris Kyriacou's 'Essential Teaching Skills' there's some great classroom management tips in there that I wish I'd had last September. And just enjoy it! Despite how tough it has been, I've loved it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

Hi there, I'm doing the course at the moment, those exact subjects! Send me a PM if you have specific questions, or if you want to see a sample of one or two lessons I've done. Congratulations on getting in!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ana.hol

Congrats , what are your subjects ?

Sorry haven't been on boards in a while, my subjects are Spanish and French. What about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ByChance

I'm due to start the PDE in trinity in September.

Has anyone heard anything about Garda vetting?

I haven't

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

I am too I have had no contact at all. I just emailed to say iv my school sorted. Did you hear anything about a pre course in June?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ByChance

I haven't heard anything about that. From the website and the last intake, I assumed there'd be an induction in late August. Do you mean the induction?

Advertisement