Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Just checked the email and she said the induction is in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ByChance

Oh right! Well I hope they send out some info soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Smic16

I'm off to ucc this September and I'm trying to find accommodation!!!another friend of mine is moving down too but really to get anywhere decent around cork we need a third person to move into a house with.....anyone interested or have any ideas?????

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

Smic16 wrote: »
    I'm off to ucc this September and I'm trying to find accommodation!!!another friend of mine is moving down too but really to get anywhere decent around cork we need a third person to move into a house with.....anyone interested or have any ideas?????

Hey, I'm starting down there in Sept too. I might be interested.It will all depend where as I will have a good commute to my school from the city. I thought it was a little early to start looking :o

Am I correct in thinking there is no grants or help available to anyone doing a HDip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 budlia

Anyone know if there will be a second round of PAC offers? Or if they are out already. Still clinging onto a bit of hope!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pulp_fishin

scoopmine wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking there is no grants or help available to anyone doing a HDip?

Depending on your situation and earnings last year you are possibly entitled to have your fees paid for or a 2.000euro flat rate. There is also up to 6000euro available for "fieldtrips" during a postgrad but i doubt we will fall under this category..

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/postgraduate_student_grant.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32 yellowlor

scoopmine wrote: »

There is, It depends on last years earnings and your financial situation. However, if you have done a masters before the hdip you are not entitled to a grant as it is a level 9 and the hdip is a level 8.

Thanks lads il give it a try its quite a chunk of money any help would make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

yellowlor wrote: »
    There is, It depends on last years earnings and your financial situation. However, if you have done a masters before the hdip you are not entitled to a grant as it is a level 9 and the hdip is a level 8.

Oh dear....
    I already have a masters.
    I didn't realise this was the case.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Amber 123

I'm filling out the Garda Vetting form for TCD PDE. What's the course code or where would I find out what it is? Can't find it anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I have a maths phd and three years' mathematics tutoring experience in the university. Is it still absolutely necessary to spend a year doing a PDE in order to teach maths in secondary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Ficheall wrote: »
    I have a maths phd and three years' mathematics tutoring experience in the university. Is it still absolutely necessary to spend a year doing a PDE in order to teach maths in secondary school?

Yes. You need a PDE. The bad news is that it is two years for people starting in Sept 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Yes and it's two years from 2014 onwards! See it that you have the Maths, but you've never been taught the theory behind how to teach. (Whether or not you actually learn that on the PDE is another story...)

Cygnus wrote: »
    Yes and it's two years from 2014 onwards! See it that you have the Maths, but you've never been taught the theory behind how to teach. (Whether or not you actually learn that on the PDE is another story...)

lol.....very true!!

TheBody wrote: »
    Yes. You need a PDE. The bad news is that it is two years for people starting in Sept 2014.

Jaysus. What a fecking racket.
    Cheers.

Looks like I'll not end up teaching then...

Jaysus. What a fecking racket.
    Cheers.

Looks like I'll not end up teaching then...

Teaching is not a great career move at the moment. Very few jobs and no allowances for new entrants with a PDE or a Phd for that matter.

TheBody wrote: »
    Teaching is not a great career move at the moment. Very few jobs and no allowances for new entrants with a PDE or a Phd for that matter.

I was just looking at a nice maternity leave slot in my old school just down the road, honours maths in a gaelscoil - I thought a maths phd and líofacht would see me in with a good shout :P

I was just looking at a nice maternity leave slot in my old school just down the road, honours maths in a gaelscoil - I thought a maths phd and líofacht would see me in with a good shout :P

You MIGHT have a chance if you can speak Irish. My wife is an Irish teacher and her school is two Irish teachers short. Irish speakers are like hens teeth.
    Sure send in your C.V.. You have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

As someone with a degree in Irish and Maths and the PDE...where exactly is "down the road"?? ;):p

• Advertisement

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Scrabble

Hi, I'm doing the PDE (Business) in UL in September and was wondering about CSPE.. I was accepted into Trinity also, where you could take CSPE as an elective, but opted for UL as it was the course I really wanted and much closer to home! But as a result, I've lost the CSPE elective! Was just wondering if there was a way I could go about teaching CSPE in the future? Taking a course etc? Any advice appreciated :)

Have you had any luck I'm filling mine out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BMC88

Hi Im due to start the PGDE in UCD in Sept but have not yet secured a school for teaching practice...just wondering is there anyone else out there in the same boat as me?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Balmom

Hi I'm doing PDE in UCD too in September but I have a place. I would get on it asap as without a school for placement they will just withdraw your place and I think it has to be in sometime early June so not long left. A lot of schools already have their quotas of students. I have 2 that I just declined last week so I could PM you if you want? Not sure if they will suit but at least they probably still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BMC88

That would be great, Thanks!! I know Im starting to panic a little at this stage. My 2 subjects are Geography and CPSE and a lot of the schools I rang around are not accepting for them subjects!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kav1892

Don't panic over the placements. I've just finished the UCD dip and at the start of our term in September, there were still students without placements, most of whom the UCD heads assisted in finally securing spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tippy25

Well technically Ficheall you could teach/sub/cover maternity leave/ career break in a school but you'd be earning the 'unqualified' rate of pay as opposed to the 'qualified' rate

tippy25 wrote: »
    Well technically Ficheall you could teach/sub/cover maternity leave/ career break in a school but you'd be earning the 'unqualified' rate of pay as opposed to the 'qualified' rate

Really? I'd be okay with that. I rang though and they said no dice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kav1892

tippy25 wrote: »

I was under the impression that from November noone will be paid unless they are TC registered. And I don't think you can be TC registered without being qualified.

Advertisement