Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xxXchocolate puppyXxx

seachto7 wrote: »
    I had to ring up the TC to see what the status of my application was. They told me I had to send on some more info, but an email or something would have been nice!!! 200 quid down the drain....

What do you mean 200 down the drain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They haven't even processed my application yet until I send them some additional info. I suppose that's just the way it goes.... :(

I have a plan B though. My main aim being to find out the shortfall for my sunject sent (Gaeilge).

Yeah but the application only cost 45euro...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Yeah but the application only cost 45euro...

to get your subject assessed?

Oh sorry, I thought you meant just the general application to trinity, didn't know you had to get something assessed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

I'm currently in 3rd year of my first Undergrad degree, studying Physics with Astronomy & Space Science in UCD. I've only really started looking into the process involved for a PGDE and have found the pac website a little confusing.

My main questions at the moment are:

What subjects would I be eligible to teach?

Is there any advantage/disadvantage of leaving college after 3rd year and only coming out with a General Science Degree?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm currently in 3rd year of my first Undergrad degree, studying Physics with Astronomy & Space Science in UCD. I've only really started looking into the process involved for a PGDE and have found the pac website a little confusing.

My main questions at the moment are:

What subjects would I be eligible to teach?

Is there any advantage/disadvantage of leaving college after 3rd year and only coming out with a General Science Degree?

Thanks in advance. :)

Check on the Teaching Council's list of recognised degrees and see if your one is there. If it is it will say which subjects you would be qualified to teach.

Would that be an Ordinary Degree you would get after three years. If so, well it would be a disadvantage as most people applying for PGDE would have an Honours degree and plenty have masters.

Also there are no jobs in teaching at the moment. Think very carefully before you spend your €7k on the qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Pee F

Hi Guys,

Can any one tell me what the interview is like for the Hdip in DCU, got called for one in February and am wondering what to expect. Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 littlebluebox

Hello and Merry Christmas,

I hope I am posting to the right thread. I have just received an email inviting me for a PGCE Primary Interview at the University of East London. This interview is scheduled for the second week in Jan. I am so thrilled to get the interview but now So Nervous, literally stomach churning as I type. This sounds awful but I feel like I don't know how to prepare for the interview. I did some teaching observation in an Irish primary school last year, but none in a UK school. As part of the interview process there is an exam in English, maths and ICT, then an interview and presentation on a lesson you have planned for year 2 children. I desperately don't want to mess this up. Any advice would be really gratefully appreciated.
    :eek::o:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 redmons2

I am hoping I will get the chance to interview for Trinity in April. As part of the application two references were required which i have submitted. I have also done some extra curricular activities that I have mentioned in the personal statement. Will I need a reference for each of these activities or is the references submitted with the application all that will be required?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi, any help greatly appreciated here. I am considering applying for the hdip this week. I know I'm late so I'll have to pay €120. Will being late go against me? I was considering teaching biology and geography. Will there be many teaching positions available for the 2011 crop of hdip graduates. I have no experience teaching in schools. No hours gained. Would I have any chance getting a place? Galway, cork or ucd would be my preferences. Do I have to pay to apply to all 3? Or will the €120 cover the three applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Being late should not go against you. If you have good enough results you have a chance of getting a place. You don't need experience. You don't have to pay to apply to all 3. One application and one fee covers the lot. Jobs are scarce and the moment and will be as scarce, if not more so, next year.

You say you're considering teaching Biology and Geography. Do you have a degree in these subjects?

janeybabe wrote: »
    Being late should not go against you. If you have good enough results you have a chance of getting a place. You don't need experience. You don't have to pay to apply to all 3. One application and one fee covers the lot. Jobs are scarce and the moment and will be as scarce, if not more so, next year.

You say you're considering teaching Biology and Geography. Do you have a degree in these subjects?

I have a B.Sc in Marine biology and an MA in Coastal management and GIS so I have degrees related to biology and geography. Results would not be top of the class if I'm honest. 2.1

I do also have four years full time work experience. Is that taken into account?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Deedsie wrote: »
    I have a B.Sc in Marine biology and an MA in Coastal management and GIS so I have degrees related to biology and geography. Results would not be top of the class if I'm honest. 2.1

Check are those degrees recognised by the Teaching Council before you spend any money.

spurious wrote: »
    Check are those degrees recognised by the Teaching Council before you spend any money.

Undergrad is anyway. I just checked there

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Deedsie wrote: »
    Undergrad is anyway. I just checked there

Then you should be fine if you do indeed go for the PGDE this year. The majority consensus is that there are little or no jobs now for teachers, and the situation may be worse next year!

You can always not accept your PGDE place if you do get in to it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Does a PGDE entitle you to work in adult learning? FETAC courses etc.? I have a degree in Social Care and would love to teach it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

ElleEm wrote: »
    Does a PGDE entitle you to work in adult learning? FETAC courses etc.? I have a degree in Social Care and would love to teach it.

No you have to have a school subject for the PGDE. Most people I know who teach at that level have a postgrad done in the subject along with work experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ross O D

Im in the same situation, have my interview on the 27th. I have a friend in uel doing the course at the moment, he is sending on information for the interview so il pass it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 polikmu

I emailed the teaching council to get confirmation on what subjects i would be able to teach with my degree. I did a BA in computer science and geography. The geography is the same as what any other arts student would have done for 3 years. And i got a 2.1. I didnt do my final 4th year in computer science and left with a pass.

I emailed thinking that being able to teach geography was a no brainer, and that i was more querying would i be able to teach maths with my comp science.

They got back to me saying that "your undergraduate qualification is not automatically recognised you will have to apply for recognition by completing the Post Primary Qualifications Assessment Form".

Surely i should be able to apply for the hdip to teach geography, because this just sounds like a big money making scam for the TC, €200 to get a degree assessed?

Any one else experience this?

• Advertisement

I know that for Geography, there are specifications as to what modules you must take as part of your undergraduate degree. As far as I know, it is something along the lines of an equal mix of both Human and Physical Geography. Maybe this is what they have some contention with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Pee F

Hey guys,
    I know Ive asked this before but I got no reply, just wonder has any one done the DCU interview before for the Hdip? If so what can I expect - seriously nervous..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 polikmu

Thanks Unluckyagain.

Yeh i just applied for my modular breakdown anyway from UCD. But i have a Msc in Environmental Development, which has alot of social and physical stuff too, so i think when they get back to me in 18 weeks it will be fine!

Pee F wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I know Ive asked this before but I got no reply, just wonder has any one done the DCU interview before for the Hdip? If so what can I expect - seriously nervous..

I have been called for interview as well! Can't seem to find anyone who has done it. My one is on the Friday 11th feb :/:/:/

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Iangolf

Just wondering has anyone heard back from Trinity re interviws for the PGDE in 2011/12, or if anyone has a rough idea of when they will contact people in relation to the interviews.

I hope it's soon, I hate waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sabscababs

Iangolf wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone heard back from Trinity re interviws for the PGDE in 2011/12, or if anyone has a rough idea of when they will contact people in relation to the interviews.

I hope it's soon, I hate waiting.

I'm in the same situation, but all I've been sent so far is that "changed application status" email from PAC, informing me that my application is currently being reviewed. They say you'll be contacted in the spring, which is a pretty wide window, so I'd say just sit tight for now and bear with the wait. It's a pain, but of the few people I know who are applying, it's the same for everyone. I read somewhere that the UCD offers are made in April or thereabouts, so it's a long aul slog with both of those systems. Ho hum!

Sabscababs wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation, but all I've been sent so far is that "changed application status" email from PAC, informing me that my application is currently being reviewed. They say you'll be contacted in the spring, which is a pretty wide window, so I'd say just sit tight for now and bear with the wait. It's a pain, but of the few people I know who are applying, it's the same for everyone. I read somewhere that the UCD offers are made in April or thereabouts, so it's a long aul slog with both of those systems. Ho hum!

Yes, the NUI offers (UCD, NUIM, UCC, NUIG) are all made on April 1st (or close to it). As far as I know, the Trinity interviews are usually late February? Although i'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 happygolucky90

hey i'm currently in 2nd yr of a B.A degree in irish and geography in St Patricks drumcondra. I know its early days as regards applying for my hDip but can anyone tell me if it is easier to get in if you teach irish? i've heard this but kinda doubt if its true...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I have been called for interview as well! Can't seem to find anyone who has done it. My one is on the Friday 11th feb :/:/:/

I've my interview on Friday the 11th too!! No idea what to expect or what they are looking for in possible student. Any idea when the DCU offers are made after the interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

Yes, the NUI offers (UCD, NUIM, UCC, NUIG) are all made on April 1st (or close to it). As far as I know, the Trinity interviews are usually late February? Although i'm open to correction.

Late February and early March - from my own experience anyway! :)

Advertisement