Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Kav1892 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that from November noone will be paid unless they are TC registered. And I don't think you can be TC registered without being qualified.

This is true. The only exceptions are in cases where there is difficulty locating a suitably qualified person.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tippy25

yeah.. a 'Section 30' letter in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AD8

I am doing the PDE in UCD in September and I still dont have placement sorted, iv contacted something like 70 schools and nothing!! Getting really worried is anyone else in the same situation or know of any schools that are looking for people????

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GraQ

Hey,
    Yeah I am in the same position. I have sent out countless emails and have either had no replies or there are no positions. Also getting worried. I also emailed UCD to tell them that I was having little joy in my search but got no reply from them. I guess can only keep looking and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AD8

ahh its so stressful UCD are so unhelpful with this!! I rang them last week and she basically said to email all of the schools on that list we got which iv done except for the ones in like Bray because it would be such a trek every morning! Yeah just gona have to keep trying, im hoping that UCD will eventually just have to step in if we still dont get anything. Bit ridic how the whole thing is organised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

AD8 wrote: »
    ahh its so stressful UCD are so unhelpful with this!! I rang them last week and she basically said to email all of the schools on that list we got which iv done except for the ones in like Bray because it would be such a trek every morning! Yeah just gona have to keep trying, im hoping that UCD will eventually just have to step in if we still dont get anything. Bit ridic how the whole thing is organised

I went to ucd this year. They said at the start of the year that dozens of people had such difficulty getting TP that they extended the 25km radius and they allowed people to start without the TP arranged. They said they would help us in September. So don't panic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Just had a phonecall from SUSI saying I can't apply as a independent I have to reapply as a dependent. Really frustrating as now I know I will have to get a loan out for everything.

Has anyone any experience or advice in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pulp_fishin

scoopmine wrote: »
    Just had a phonecall from SUSI saying I can't apply as a independent I have to reapply as a dependent. Really frustrating as now I know I will have to get a loan out for everything.

Has anyone any experience or advice in this situation.

Hey Scoopmine, are you applying to SUSI already? Im afraid i cannot help with your question i just presume that i will come under the independent side!!
    John

Hi John

I can't apply as a independent as I'm out of of education 3 years. So I will need to apply with my parents income. Means a trip to the bankman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi Scoopmine,

The rule is you can change your status once you have been out of education for three years. In order to prove independent residence you need to provide evidence from the October of the year prior to starting your course. You also need to be 23 prior to the 1st of January of the year you begin your course.

I hope this information helps. The option to private mail me is available should you have further questions.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Advertisement

SuSi: Reps wrote: »
    Hi Scoopmine,

The rule is you can change your status once you have been out of education for three years. In order to prove independent residence you need to provide evidence from the October of the year prior to starting your course. You also need to be 23 prior to the 1st of January of the year you begin your course.

I hope this information helps. The option to private mail me is available should you have further questions.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

PM send...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bettybluebottle

Hi

I have yet to find teaching placement for upcoming PDE @ NUIM. I have sent many applications far and wide. I had 2 interviews but was not successful & now I am really worried at this stage now as the schools will close shortly. Any another suggestions of what I can do? Will I lose my place if I cannot obtain placement before I commence in late August?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

http://http://www.education.ie/en/find-a-school

Blitz every school in the radius of nuim. Schools as far as Monaghan, Meath , Louth, Cavan inclusive. Follow up with a phone call , no time to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LauraF89

Hey guys,

I've been accepted for the pde in NUIG...i'm having no luck whatsoever with finding placement. My subject is business and most of the schools i have contacted cannot offer me a place as they can not give me 100 hours within the 16 week TP span or else they don't seem to have a minimum of 12 students in each class...more like 5 as business is an elective and hardly any students are choosing it as one of there subjects...FREAKING OUT!! Anybody else in the same boat as me with business?? Does anyone know what actually happens if you cannot find placement but have tried everything? Will the college help??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

LauraF89 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've been accepted for the pde in NUIG...i'm having no luck whatsoever with finding placement. My subject is business and most of the schools i have contacted cannot offer me a place as they can not give me 100 hours within the 16 week TP span or else they don't seem to have a minimum of 12 students in each class...more like 5 as business is an elective and hardly any students are choosing it as one of there subjects...FREAKING OUT!! Anybody else in the same boat as me with business?? Does anyone know what actually happens if you cannot find placement but have tried everything? Will the college help??

Thanks

What degree do you have? You should be able to teach Business and Business Studies with a possibility of Accounting and/or Economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lennie826

Hey Guys,

I have been accepted for the PDE in NUIM. I am currently in the same situation in regards to securing a placement within a school. My old school have said they will try to accommodate me, however it would be best for me to get a school as they may not be able to give me the set number of hours I require. I have started to get a bit worried now, as I am still waiting to hear back from my last interview. Most schools had given out there places within the first week of offers been made. I emailed NUIM today to see what will happen if I do not secure a place. From reading all the comments it would appear that everyone is in the same situation....hopefully we will all get our places sorted soon, as the deadline for placement for NUIM students in June 28th :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LauraF89

Bachelor of Business honours degree from GMIT, As far as im aware im also able to teach accounting but it seems that not many schools can give accounting classes to student teachers as its only fifth years and leaving certs that study this subject and any school that will only have max 10 students in their classes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Bachelor of Business honours degree from GMIT, As far as im aware im also able to teach accounting but it seems that not many schools can give accounting classes to student teachers as its only fifth years and leaving certs that study this subject and any school that will only have max 10 students in their classes :(

Most PDE students I know were given 1st and 2nd year and some TY classes to teach, rather than 5th and 6th year, for obvious reasons. I thought business Studies is a common subject for Junior Cert so I can't how there'd be such a big problem.

Anyways, I'm sure you could email Manuela Heinz or Mary Fleming in NUIG. Last year there were students still without placement in September and I think the college helped get them sorted.

There were also a small number that had to build up their hours over the entire year, rather than sticking to the three blocks, as the school accepted too many PDE students and could not give them enough hours per week to get 100hrs in 16weeks. Their school was in Galway city so they managed to work around lecture timetable, although it was awkward as it's not supposed to be done. Email Manuela Heinz and see what she says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Hey guys, does it make any difference what subject you put down as your primary subject on the forms sent out. Does it affect your job prospects afterwards or quality of your degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hey guys, does it make any difference what subject you put down as your primary subject on the forms sent out. Does it affect your job prospects afterwards or quality of your degree?

You have to put the subjects that the Teaching Council have recognised for your degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 maemi

hi everyone this is probably a long shot but does anyone know anything about studying a PGCE in design and technology in Wales or England. my undergraduate degree is BSc Hons in Quantity Surveying and I would eventually like to come back to Ireland to teach. I already know about filling in the form to have this recognized by the Teaching Council but would really like to talk to someone who has taken this route and came out successful at the other end. any help at all would be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss at present. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Hi guys

Has anybody attended Hibernia college for their PDE, how did you find the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Duffy89

Hi I'm considering doing teaching but I've heard it's very hard to get into with a business degree. Do you mind me asking did you just have your undergraduate degree or did you have other courses/work experience as well? I have a 2.1 commerce degree and a masters in accounting, so just wondering what my chances are. Also I am in an accounting job atm and will be in it a year come application time so not sure if that matters.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

No doesn't make a difference. If, for example, your subjects are French and English, pick whichever you would feel would be your strongest as your first. Just means your tutor may be in that area. For jobs in doesn't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

You have to put the subjects that the Teaching Council have recognised for your degree.

heya, no I already have the hdip offer for UCC. I know my subjects, I just meant why do we have to choose one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

heya, no I already have the hdip offer for UCC. I know my subjects, I just meant why do we have to choose one.

I think the other poster was referring to the fact that people sometimes put subjects they're not qualified for, not realising that any old Joe can do the PDE in French and English if their degree is Media and German. UCC giving you a place on the course has nothing to do with you being qualified or not to teach particular subjects at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

Just wondering can anyone confirm if all 3 blocks of the teaching practice placements have to be done in the same school or whether it is possible to do each block in a different school? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭halfmoon123

No I would say it would definitely have to be in the same school for all blocks... Has to be consistent with supervisions, and also the relationship you build up with your class groups for the year I would imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Colours wrote: »
    Just wondering can anyone confirm if all 3 blocks of the teaching practice placements have to be done in the same school or whether it is possible to do each block in a different school? Thanks.

Your best bet would be to fire an email to the Teaching Practice Co-ordinator of the university asking them. Is it NUIG you're doing it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 roseise1993

I had awful trouble of getting a school for placement I tried around the schools in my local area at home. I did get one in Galway after sometime of trying. I would ring the college I am sure they would be able to help you out especially if you are not from the area or from Galway

Advertisement