Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

No I would say it would definitely have to be in the same school for all blocks... Has to be consistent with supervisions, and also the relationship you build up with your class groups for the year I would imagine!

Yes that makes sense alright.
    Your best bet would be to fire an email to the Teaching Practice Co-ordinator of the university asking them. Is it NUIG you're doing it in?

I've been offered a place in UL. Yes you're right, the most straightforward route would be to ask the Teaching Practice Co-ordinator but I thought I'd check here first as I don't won't to be drawing undue attention to myself by asking what is perhaps an obvious question, especially as I'm late in finding a teaching placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

heya, no I already have the hdip offer for UCC. I know my subjects, I just meant why do we have to choose one.

Your choice of first subject affects the supervisor you get. For example, I chose Irish as my first and Spanish as my second. My supervisor used to be an Irish teacher so had experience in it. 5 out of my 6 visits were then in Irish (first subject) so pick the one you'd feel more comfortable with. Once you're qualified, it's in both in equal measure. (I went to UCD)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pulp_fishin

Anybody going to UCD in September know the official start date? Ive been ringing the school of ed. all week but no answer, presume they are on their hols!??

Anybody going to UCD in September know the official start date? Ive been ringing the school of ed. all week but no answer, presume they are on their hols!??

I went to UCD this year and we had induction lectures for the first week of September and started for real the following week. Presume it'll be the same this year :)

When filling out the SUSI app. is this course under Postgrad Dip Level 9 or Higher Dip level 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

PDE is level 8

Thanks. Does that effect the application then considering its the same level as the Arts degree i have??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks. Does that effect the application then considering its the same level as the Arts degree i have??

Probably. You need to be moving up the scale to get a grant. SUSI will tell you for sure.

Ok, i got through to SUSI. For anybody else applying, they will accept the application as even though an Arts degree and the HDip are both level 8, one is categorized as undergrad while the other is post..so technically you are progressing! THANKS BE TO GOD!!! was worried for a moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LauraF89

Duffy89 wrote: »
    Hi I'm considering doing teaching but I've heard it's very hard to get into with a business degree. Do you mind me asking did you just have your undergraduate degree or did you have other courses/work experience as well? I have a 2.1 commerce degree and a masters in accounting, so just wondering what my chances are. Also I am in an accounting job atm and will be in it a year come application time so not sure if that matters.

I just have my undergraduate degree. I received a first class honours in it. I applied the year before with a 2:1 from my ordinary degree but was unsuccessful. You should just apply to see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 GraQ

Does anyone else not have a placement for teaching practice? Going to UCD to do PDE but I am having alot of trouble gettin a placement and as schools are prob closed now, its not looking too good. I have had two interviews set up but then they canceled at the last minute. Very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Balmom

Hi Just wondering if anyone has gotten timetables from schools for TP? Or when should I expect one?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 B99

Question for anyone starting the PDE in UCC in September. Have ye heard anything about fees? I know the cost is €6000 (including the 260 deposit to the PAC), but when will we be expected to pay the difference to UCC. I've been checking online but can't seem to find the relevant info anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

B99 wrote: »
    Question for anyone starting the PDE in UCC in September. Have ye heard anything about fees? I know the cost is €6000 (including the 260 deposit to the PAC), but when will we be expected to pay the difference to UCC. I've been checking online but can't seem to find the relevant info anywhere.

Hey! I'm starting down in UCC. I emailed Fees last week about this. They got back and said "50% is payable at registration and the balance in fully by the 31st January". Hope this helps.

Hey! I'm starting down in UCC. I emailed Fees last week about this. They got back and said "50% is payable at registration and the balance in fully by the 31st January". Hope this helps.

Great, thank you. I assume when they say "at registration" this means the orientation week (20-22 aug)? Well at least that was the case when I began college a few years back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

B99 wrote: »
    Great, thank you. I assume when they say "at registration" this means the orientation week (20-22 aug)? Well at least that was the case when I began college a few years back anyway.

Yes that's it, I would say. Would you mind me asking you if you've got your timetable off your school yet for teaching practice?

Yes that's it, I would say. Would you mind me asking you if you've got your timetable off your school yet for teaching practice?

Thanks. No I haven't. As far as I know it won't be available until some stage in August. This has to be before August 23rd of course, as the college want to have a provisional one received by this date. I'd imagine the school will have it sorted by mid/early August

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

So.. I tend to make all my life decisions in the shower and I made one today.

Would I be right in saying there is no hope in hell I can get into ANY PGDE course for this coming September? I have a lot of teaching hours (I'm mostly an adult education teacher), 1.1 etc. etc. Even up in Queens? I'm looking around but I think I'm **** out of luck.. which means I have to do the two year degree :(

Darn. DARN. Why does my brain lack any type of foresight?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Would I be right in saying there is no hope in hell I can get into ANY PGDE course for this coming September? I have a lot of teaching hours (I'm mostly an adult education teacher), 1.1 etc. etc. Even up in Queens? I'm looking around but I think I'm **** out of luck.. which means I have to do the two year degree :(

You could consider the part time one in DCU. Sure it takes two years, but you only have classes on Tuesday and Wednesday evenng. (As well as teaching practice of course,)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Have you looked on gttr.ac.uk . Vacant places available in the UK.

http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/General/gttr_search/StateId/ELz4r9B3UJyBzgKFazLqYI4AD1R8--U4Kc/HAHTpage/gttr_search.HsForm.mapFormToCmd?cboAge=S&cboSubject=0&cboInst=0&cboType=1&cboLevel=0&button1=search&cboDegree=0&cboExam=0

• Advertisement

History in Cambridge :) Now I want to go .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fionab13

Any nice PDE teachers looking for a flatmate next year or to house share? Starting my PDE in Sep in UCD and don't really know anyone so would love to move in with some fun people. Didnt want to bother with campus because simply out they treat you like an undergrad! ha message me if interested please :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Fionab13 wrote: »
    Any nice PDE teachers looking for a flatmate next year or to house share? Starting my PDE in Sep and don't really know anyone so would love to move in with some fun people. Didnt want to bother with campus because simply out they treat you like an undergrad! ha message me if interested please :D

You'll probably get more responses if you state what part of the country you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shelitta

Did anybody else miss the TCD PDE induction days? I've asked the office for copies of what I missed but have received no response... Any info, even our start date, would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kikibo531

TCD induction info will be up online over the summer under the Course Handbook. But I don't think it will change from last year's handbook. There were some lectures on Behavioural Mgmt and Lesson Planning etc. so maybe the dept. will send that onto you at some stage. You start your teaching practice whenever your school goes back at end of August and then Trinity lectures start week of 23rd Sept. Hope this helps.

Any nice PDE teachers looking for a flatmate next year or to house share? Starting my PDE in Sep in UCD and don't really know anyone so would love to move in with some fun people. Didnt want to bother with campus because simply out they treat you like an undergrad! ha message me if interested please :D

There are specific postgrad residences in UCD, in fact it's like living in any other rented house or apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fionab13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There are specific postgrad residences in UCD, in fact it's like living in any other rented house or apartment.

Not any more there aren't, Glenomena is now the same as any other residence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭halfmoon123

Would a group not have been better? It's more private and we could discuss notes, exams, essays, TP etc with more privacy... They had a private group for the last 2 years (if you search on Facebook you can see those pages but they're blocked) which makes more sense, no?

• Advertisement

Would a group not have been better? It's more private and we could discuss notes, exams, essays, TP etc with more privacy... They had a private group for the last 2 years (if you search on Facebook you can see those pages but they're blocked) which makes more sense, no?

This is a good point but I'll say this, there was a lot of complaining in this year's group and the heads of the course heard about it all so just be careful what you post even if it is a private group!

Advertisement