Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭C__MC

Is it possible to do a H Dip with History and Human Development/phsycology?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Does anybody know with the new 2 year courses starting next year, is there anything similar to the Newly Qualified Teachers status being applied like in the UK? Or is it a case of once you get your Masters in Education, you're fully qualified to teach abroad and then hypothetically come back in 10 years with no difficulty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions, i apologies if they are already in the thread, I intend on doing the course in DCU, has anyone got a school yet I am finding them very slow to come back and secondly DCU have a school list, can you only contact them schools?? I know of many other secondary schools that are not on the list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Check the DES website for schools list . I do believe people can do their practice anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have a couple of questions, i apologies if they are already in the thread, I intend on doing the course in DCU, has anyone got a school yet I am finding them very slow to come back and secondly DCU have a school list, can you only contact them schools?? I know of many other secondary schools that are not on the list?

DCU aren't too fussy where your school is. I know people who did their teaching practice in Donegal and Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Hey I'm just wondering if anyone has the distance within which each college allows teaching practice ?
    I've heard places like Maynooth have lessened the distance but I still can't find the official distances of them all.
    Thanks !

TheBody wrote: »
    DCU aren't too fussy where your school is. I know people who did their teaching practice in Donegal and Cork.

Okay thanks appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    Okay thanks appreciate that

When you get your school sorted, it might be a good idea to run it past the head of teaching practice, just to make sure it's ok.

TheBody wrote: »
    When you get your school sorted, it might be a good idea to run it past the head of teaching practice, just to make sure it's ok.

I was thinking that alright, a lot of schools missing off their list too. But yeah if any come back I will definitely do that, thanks for the heads up

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

C__MC wrote: »
    Is it possible to do a H Dip with History and Human Development/phsycology?

You can but would absolutely not advise it. You need a second subject to be employable. History isn't the most popular subject at LC level.
    Brimmy wrote: »
    Does anybody know with the new 2 year courses starting next year, is there anything similar to the Newly Qualified Teachers status being applied like in the UK? Or is it a case of once you get your Masters in Education, you're fully qualified to teach abroad and then hypothetically come back in 10 years with no difficulty?

Pretty sure you'll still have to do the 10 NQT workshops and get 300 hours experience so that'd be one more year in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Brimmy wrote: »

No the masters will be the exact same qualification as the PDE, PGDE and Hdip. The only reason its being given the title of masters is because the colleges are marketing as such because of the competition. NUIM did not want to call it a masters but UCC called it one so the rest of the colleges followed suit. You will have to do the exact same as those graduating this year and the year previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

Hi guys,

I will have obtained an undergrad degree in Music. Just Music.

On the form for the Hdip it's asking me to pick two subjects. As I read on I saw that you have have the subjects pretty much to a degree standard.

How can I work my way around this?

I don't want to teach another subjects other than music. If I have to I will but how am I going to do say, english, as my second subject if I have never studied it to a university level?

Thanks for any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

To be honest you are going to find it exceptionally hard to find a job in just music. It took me five years to get any hours in music (taught all maths my other subject) before I finally got some but its not full and I still teach my other subject. Even if I had all the music hours in my school I would probably still have maths.

However that aside.... I'm pretty sure in trinity they just let you pick a different subject, its not one you are in any way qualified to teach but you have to do all the assignments etc. I'm not sure how it works in the PAC system

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

To be honest you are going to find it exceptionally hard to find a job in just music. It took me five years to get any hours in music (taught all maths my other subject) before I finally got some but its not full and I still teach my other subject. Even if I had all the music hours in my school I would probably still have maths.

However that aside.... I'm pretty sure in trinity they just let you pick a different subject, its not one you are in any way qualified to teach but you have to do all the assignments etc. I'm not sure how it works in the PAC system

Thanks for your quick reply. I appreciate your honest advice coming from someone who's actually been there

What I would like is a certificate that says 'I'm safe around kids and qualified to teach'. Perhaps the PDE isn't the way forward for me as I just want to be able to teach officially at home and perhaps at other institutes...

Is there any course you know of where I could get a basic version of the PDE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Are you talking about teaching piano at home for example? In that case why not go for the https://extranet.riam.ie/associate/regulations.asp

This seems like it would be a much better fit for you and should cost less than the PGDE. It also says it is acceptable as a qualification to teach

• Registered Users Posts: 4 maybel

Hi! I'm currently applying to do a PME but have some questions.
    Firstly, my main degree subject is a language and accepted and all that but my minor subject is not excepted. More than one secondary principle have told me they would hire me to teach a certain subject based on my minor subject and when I contacted the teaching council they said I only needed an acceptable degree for one subject.
    However on the PAC form it says that I need an eligible degree for all subjects? So do I just put down my major subject? Is that going to lessen my chances?

Also the PAC ask for a hard copy of my results. But my transcript from Trinity (nor anything else official I can come across) does not give my results in percentage or GPA, which is what they ask for, so what do I send?

Ugh, I hope that makes sense! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

What type of qualification dose it take to teach in say a PLC college, some of my previous teachers in further education did not have any degree but obviously you would now, I'm in my third year of a business IT course and my long term dream would be to teach something, anything.. In a PLC college or classes anywhere.

Can anyone give me some advice on what I can start planning for to achieve this career ? Is there anything voluntarily that would help this also?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

For the PGDE for Irish, is it necessary to have two months residency in a gaeltacht area? I think I've seen this somewhere but can find it now. It seems like a bit of an odd requirement to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Luno wrote: »
    For the PGDE for Irish, is it necessary to have two months residency in a gaeltacht area? I think I've seen this somewhere but can find it now. It seems like a bit of an odd requirement to me.

That was required as part of my undergrad in Irish but not the PDE

• Advertisement

tomissex wrote: »
    That was required as part of my undergrad in Irish but not the PDE

What undergrad did you do if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

What undergrad did you do if you don't mind me asking?

Not at all, I did TSM (Arts) in Trinity. I did it with Spanish and for both I was required to spend 2 months in the area the language is spoken.

To register with the Teaching Council you would need to have spent the two months in the gaeltacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Have many applied for the PME for this coming September? I am applying this coming week. Wanted to await my MA results first. The online form threw me a bit, because they wanted your latest actual result, which, for me is my masters, but this was in the section for Primary degree.

Anyway, Do I have to have registered with the Teaching Council before I apply for the PME? or when do I apply with the Teaching Council. I am unsure if I just need to see if my subjects are eligible or if i need to register.

PLEASE help if anyone has information. It seems quiet on here regarding the PME this year :).

Have many applied for the PME for this coming September? I am applying this coming week. Wanted to await my MA results first. The online form threw me a bit, because they wanted your latest actual result, which, for me is my masters, but this was in the section for Primary degree.

Anyway, Do I have to have registered with the Teaching Council before I apply for the PME? or when do I apply with the Teaching Council. I am unsure if I just need to see if my subjects are eligible or if i need to register.

PLEASE help if anyone has information. It seems quiet on here regarding the PME this year :).

Don't worry about the TC they are a long way down the line for you yet just get your application into PAC. If you want to substitute in a school during your PME you will have to be registered though but this is becoming less frequent now.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Don't worry about the TC they are a long way down the line for you yet just get your application into PAC. If you want to substitute in a school during your PME you will have to be registered though but this is becoming less frequent now.

OK!! thank you very much!! I as afraid I would have had to have registered before hand! thanks, that is an ease!

You are advising someone ( a prospective student teacher) to get registered for subbing whilst being a student teacher ? That's brave.

You are advising someone ( a prospective student teacher) to get registered for subbing whilst being a student teacher ? That's brave.

The person can choose to if he/she pleases. Everyone needs a few bob when teaching during their dip. Some schools will use PDE/PME students to fill small gaps. If the poster ends up in a school like this they may decide to register. Admittedly this has become less frequent as I said. The message to carry away from my post was not to worry about the TC at this early stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 adhadh

Hi, I am currently applying for the PME but just have a few queries. I did my undergrad and masters in UCD, who have an electronic verification for the transcripts. Is this valid for the supporting documentation or do I have to get an official copy? I presume the fact that it is in GPA form is okay as well?

Also my degree, Commerce, is on the list of recognised degrees, so I am assuming I don't need to do anything else with regards to this, like apply to have my degree recognised?

• Advertisement

To register with the Teaching Council you would need to have spent the two months in the gaeltacht.

Thanks, I assume this time would be spent during/after the PGDE? I'm just finding it difficult to understand.

Advertisement