Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Luno wrote: »
    Thanks, I assume this time would be spent during/after the PGDE? I'm just finding it difficult to understand.

You will find info about course and subject recognition here. It is actually 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Luno wrote: »
    Thanks, I assume this time would be spent during/after the PGDE? I'm just finding it difficult to understand.

They didn't do any checks on whether or not I had spent any time in the Gaeltacht, when I registered. That said, I strongly advise you to spend some time there to practice oral skills in the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

They didn't do any checks on whether or not I had spent any time in the Gaeltacht, when I registered. That said, I strongly advise you to spend some time there to practice oral skills in the language.

Oh of course, I have spent time in the Gaeltacht and plan on doing so over the next few years, however the idea of having proof of three months residence terrified me as I'd rather spend the odd week/weekend over three months which had to be proved. Thank you though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hi, I was wondering about the situation if you were applying for secondary school teacher training for Ireland (hopefully) but England as a back up. I would be applying in 2015 as I'm in the second year of my undergrad degree now. I understand the dip has been renamed now and will be two years from now on in Ireland and it says somewhere if you have a teaching degree from outside Ireland and qualified within a certain period you have three years to get all of the credits completed i.e. the two year course.

Does that mean even if I qualified in England I'd have to go back to college again and do the dip here for two years?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭TwoGallants

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of applying to do the HDip (I see its called something else now, but I'm old fashioned that way :pac: )

A lot of the information online is confusing and sometimes contradictory. For example, I did a degree in one subject only (in Trinity), does this mean that I can't become a teacher on one of these courses? I finished my degree in 2010 so I've been out of the education system for some time. I've been teaching TEFL abroad for years and I supposed I could technically count English as one of my subjects as well? Its all a little confusing to be honest. I'm tempted to apply for the PGDE in the UK as it at least seems to be run somewhat sanely and they don't put up as many hoops to stop you in your tracks... Anyway, any advice or pointers is very much welcome.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of applying to do the HDip (I see its called something else now, but I'm old fashioned that way :pac: )

A lot of the information online is confusing and sometimes contradictory. For example, I did a degree in one subject only (in Trinity), does this mean that I can't become a teacher on one of these courses? I finished my degree in 2010 so I've been out of the education system for some time. I've been teaching TEFL abroad for years and I supposed I could technically count English as one of my subjects as well? Its all a little confusing to be honest. I'm tempted to apply for the PGDE in the UK as it at least seems to be run somewhat sanely and they don't put up as many hoops to stop you in your tracks... Anyway, any advice or pointers is very much welcome.

You can do the MDE/PDE without even having a teaching subject. The trouble arises afterward when you won't get a job because you won't be qualified to teach any subjects.
    Its actually a reasonably straightforward process. You won't be fit to count English as a subject.
    You will struggle to get a job with only one subject in Ireland. In England most teachers only teach one subject so you would be fine there.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Does anyone know how the additional points for the masters degree works? I have a Masters degree and got a 2.1 in it. Does this mean I will be eligible for the extra six points? Or how does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 keithconnolly

May interest those wishing to pursue this course next year

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/askmaynooth Secondary Teaching - Q&A session on Facebook 'PostgraduateMaynooth' Monday 18th Nov. 5-7pm
    Are you thinking about Secondary Teaching qualification for 2014? Do you want help with your application or want more information direct from the Course Director?
    Log in to the Facebook session next Monday 18th November between 5-7pm to get all the updates you need direct from Dr.Rose Dolan on Facebook at:
    https://www.facebook.com/PostGraduateMaynooth.
    You can also follow on Twitter at ‪#‎AskMaynooth‬. Students from the course will be live on Facebook if you want to ask them a question about their experiences.
    The Secondary Teaching qualification (traditionally known as a HDip) is now a 2 year programme which has been renamed the Professional Masters in Education. If you want to be a secondary teacher, this is the qualification that you will need. Maynooth has a reputation of excellence in the provision of Education programmes. To apply for the programme visit: www.pac.ie/pme and don't forget the deadline for this year is the 1st December 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭TwoGallants

PGCE applications opened yesterday! I just sent mine off there. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 daveyboy123

Will applicant numbers go down for the PDE (now the PME) for this coming September's two-year course (2014)? If you have a 2.2 does that mean your chances are pretty minimal?

• Advertisement

Will applicant numbers go down for the PDE (now the PME) for this coming September's two-year course (2014)? If you have a 2.2 does that mean your chances are pretty minimal?

Some colleges are only taking half numbers this year because of the change. So points will probably remain the same or go up. A 2.2 would have been enough last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Some colleges are only taking half numbers this year because of the change. So points will probably remain the same or go up. A 2.2 would have been enough last year.

Was a 2:2 enough last year? I thought you had to have a 2:1 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

If I complete a one year PGDE in england can I then teach in Ireland?

I would just be doing one subject.

If not, what would I have to do in Ireland to be fully qualified?

Any help is appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

itsgrand wrote: »
    If I complete a one year PGDE in england can I then teach in Ireland?

I would just be doing one subject.

If not, what would I have to do in Ireland to be fully qualified?

Any help is appreciated

Hey, I'm not a teacher but I have been doing extensive research on this topic because I am also interested in secondary teaching. It is my understanding that if you haven't already trained as a secondary school teacher to teach in Ireland you must have a two year teacher training degree. Entry requirements in some subjects have also become stricter. This information is readily available online from the NUI website regarding secondary school teaching and take a look at the Irish teacher training council website for subject entry requirements. It is difficult to get a teaching job in Ireland with one subject but in England it would be rather normal.
    However, as I have already stated as I'm not in the profession I am open to correction.

Best of luck,
    Nicole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

What are the interviews in DCU like for the PME? Might have one in March and wanted to get an idea of what type of questioning to expect?

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    What are the interviews in DCU like for the PME? Might have one in March and wanted to get an idea of what type of questioning to expect?

I did it a number of years ago. It was the 2009-2010 school year and the questions were fairly straightforward. One question was on classroom management and the usually why do you want to be a teacher etc.

I didn't actually get it in the end and I'm pretty glad after hearing some of the reports about the course in general. It is not very good by all accounts.

Any feedback on why they didn't offer you the place?

I answered the classroom management question badly and I wasn't in the profile for the students they generally took in then. Usually it was teachers who were teaching full time in VEC. I was only subbing so had very little experience. I am just presuming this though as they never said why themselves.

Ah okay, yeah I was getting worried, sorry to hear that anyway, their loss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

The PAC extended the deadline by the guts of a month, bad sign for the number of applications?

• Advertisement

that sounds ominous

Nicole. wrote: »
    Hey, I'm not a teacher but I have been doing extensive research on this topic because I am also interested in secondary teaching. It is my understanding that if you haven't already trained as a secondary school teacher to teach in Ireland you must have a two year teacher training degree. Entry requirements in some subjects have also become stricter. This information is readily available online from the NUI website regarding secondary school teaching and take a look at the Irish teacher training council website for subject entry requirements. It is difficult to get a teaching job in Ireland with one subject but in England it would be rather normal.
    However, as I have already stated as I'm not in the profession I am open to correction.

Best of luck,
    Nicole.

Cool thanks!

The whole pricing scheme of this Masters is a joke.

Go on, I applied for the Diploma and am being offered a Masters place?

am I wrong in saying they have also increased the teaching hours, I vaguely remember it being 100 hours teaching and 200 hours observation. They really are not making it accessible for people who are working

ledgebag1 wrote: »

Go on, I applied for the Diploma and am being offered a Masters place?

You applied for the diploma and got a masters place?

Also yeah teaching hours have doubled cause they want people to have more practise in the classroom before actual teaching in secondary schools.

It looks like the course title changed to master but the increase in the hours is a bad situation as I work

• Registered Users Posts: 19 debz61288

At the moment it is 100 hours teaching which is only 2 hours of teaching a week so with the new programme it will be increased to 4 hours a week. If you get lucky in a school you could cover these hours in one or two days.
    One bit of advice I would give to you if you are working, don't work full time if you can help it. Between working, school and college it can get quite demanding.

Have you been called for your interview? I wrote down my questions from the interview so I will route them out and give you an idea of what they ask

• Registered Users Posts: 19 debz61288

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I answered the classroom management question badly and I wasn't in the profile for the students they generally took in then. Usually it was teachers who were teaching full time in VEC. I was only subbing so had very little experience. I am just presuming this though as they never said why themselves.

This was probably the situation back when you applied (and maybe still now) but don't let this discourage anyone from applying as I got accepted to the programme with zero teaching experience. I got my degree, went travelling and came back home for my interview and had no experience what so ever. Like a lot of people I feared this would be my downfall but if your in the same boat, don't be discourages :)

debz61288 wrote: »
    At the moment it is 100 hours teaching which is only 2 hours of teaching a week so with the new programme it will be increased to 4 hours a week. If you get lucky in a school you could cover these hours in one or two days.
    One bit of advice I would give to you if you are working, don't work full time if you can help it. Between working, school and college it can get quite demanding.

Have you been called for your interview? I wrote down my questions from the interview so I will route them out and give you an idea of what they ask

Yeah that would be magic if you could, unfortunately I have no choice on the work front I have a mortgage etc, I did my masters while working so I will cope ( hopefully) thanks for the advice I really appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Does anyone know if there's any change on paying the student contribution now that it's a masters ? I was under the assumption that it's only undergraduates that pay student contribution ?

Advertisement