Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RoySheehan

Hey, a friend just got an offer in Trinity for the PME. I didn't apply for Trinity, only the NUIs. Would Trinity's points be roughly the same as the other colleges in the past? I want to know if I am ok or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

RoySheehan wrote: »
    Hey, a friend just got an offer in Trinity for the PME. I didn't apply for Trinity, only the NUIs. Would Trinity's points be roughly the same as the other colleges in the past? I want to know if I am ok or not.
    There's no comparison .. Trinity is an interview and takes experience and extra curriculum into account while PAC is soley grades based

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Im going to the interview for DCU in two weeks... Do I need to wear a suit for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

DylanII wrote: »
    Im going to the interview for DCU in two weeks... Do I need to wear a suit for it?

I would. You want to look as professional as possible. They want to know that you are going to take your role as a student teacher seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rhapsodyinblu

I had an interview in trinity and wore a suit. Best to be over dressed than under dressed. You want to look like you're taking it seriously. They talk a lot these days about teachers wanting to be seen as professionals so what better way to give off that vibe.

• Advertisement

Has anybody heard back from trinity?

Has anybody heard back from trinity?

Trinity gave out offers two weeks ago.

Yeah I heard that people who applied for french and spanish heard back. I applied for music, except when I login it still says 'pending - no decision'

Literally just heard back two minutes ago about music. #success

Literally just heard back two minutes ago about music. #success

Congratulations !!! :) There seems to be a lot of success this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Carton11

I got offered a place on the Trinity PME (maths) but not sure whether to accept and pay the deposit (27th March) or wait and see the outcome for DCU. Would Trinity have a better reputation for education than DCU? Any advice

I'm in a similar situation. I'm waiting to hear back about UCD which is my first choice through the PAC system. I rang their offices and they said that the offers will come out the first week of April for that and I have to accept the PME (music) in trinity by the 3rd of April...

Carton11 wrote: »
    I got offered a place on the Trinity PME (maths) but not sure whether to accept and pay the deposit (27th March) or wait and see the outcome for DCU. Would Trinity have a better reputation for education than DCU? Any advice

I would say the trinity has the better rep, but I personally feel like DCU has the better course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

DylanII wrote: »
    I would say the trinity has the better rep, but I personally feel like DCU has the better course.

There has been a few people who have said their experience of the DCU course left a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I did the one in DCU. It was shocking how bad it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Yolo141

I got offered a place in Trinity and I have already accepted it and didn't have to pay a deposit, even though I was expecting to pay something. I think the fees still have to be finalised over the 2 year jump so that could be why...

Yolo141 wrote: »
    I got offered a place in Trinity and I have already accepted it and didn't have to pay a deposit, even though I was expecting to pay something. I think the fees still have to be finalised over the 2 year jump so that could be why...

Did you maybe get a conditional offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 I_teach_French

I got and accepted an offer from trinity too. It was unconditional and I didn't have to pay anything.

Also, I know people currently doing (and who have done) the course in TCD, UCD and DCU and they all advised I take the Trinity course. It's apparently more up to date, student friendly, and it's a lot easier for me to get to.

I asked two school principals about the reputations and they both said that at the end of they day your marks are all that matter, especially in teaching practice. Although, schools aren't happy about how Trinity are doing block placements so will be less likely to want to take students in.

I accepted the TCD offer and it brought me to an online pay system page to pay a deposit to secure my place and also a breakdown of fees for year 1! Im doing it in maths so it may be different to other subjects tho!

I got and accepted an offer from trinity too. It was unconditional and I didn't have to pay anything.

Also, I know people currently doing (and who have done) the course in TCD, UCD and DCU and they all advised I take the Trinity course. It's apparently more up to date, student friendly, and it's a lot easier for me to get to.

I asked two school principals about the reputations and they both said that at the end of they day your marks are all that matter, especially in teaching practice. Although, schools aren't happy about how Trinity are doing block placements so will be less likely to want to take students in.

Whats the difference between a conditional and unconditional? My condition was that I get a 2:1 in my degree. I haven't finished yet so are the unconditional offers ones where people have already completed their degrees?

• Advertisement

I got an unconditional offer. I graduated last year with a 2.1. so that must be why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 I_teach_French

Whats the difference between a conditional and unconditional? My condition was that I get a 2:1 in my degree. I haven't finished yet so are the unconditional offers ones where people have already completed their degrees?

That's it exactly. If you get a 2:1 you're in :) And your place is held for you in the meantime. Mine's unconditional because I've already graduated with a 2:1 and they have my transcripts.

Thanks guys!

Does anybody have any insight into whether UCD or Trinity is the better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sarahtobin02

Hey I've been accepted into the PME in English course in Trinity. Just wondering does anyone know if there is a deposit that has to be paid once you accept? Also what does conditional offer mean, does that mean you still have to get a 2:1 degree in order to get in or does that matter?? :)

Hey just wondering how much the deposit is when you accept? Hope its not a lot :)

Carton11 wrote: »
    I accepted the TCD offer and it brought me to an online pay system page to pay a deposit to secure my place and also a breakdown of fees for year 1! Im doing it in maths so it may be different to other subjects tho!
    How much is the actual deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

What were the interviews like folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Yolo141

for those with conditional offers, were you told the condition? my offer is conditional too but it didn't say anymore..assuming its the 2:1 anyway but just wondering if you were specifically told that?

for those with conditional offers, were you told the condition? my offer is conditional too but it didn't say anymore..assuming its the 2:1 anyway but just wondering if you were specifically told that?
    Mine just said conditional offer as well, so not sure. I thought with Trinity grades didn't matter as much as they do with PAC. I assumed it meant you were in once you fully complete your undergraduate degree?

• Advertisement

Mine said the following re: conditions.

Conditions of offer:

Your achievement of the minimum course entry requirements in your final year degree examinations. Please forward certified true copies of an academic transcript to include your final year degree examination results.
    Please note that you are offered a place on this course as an EU fee paying student.

Conditions can also be viewed by clicking the 'Offer Acceptance' link at the bottom of this message as well as under 'Offer notes/conditions' under 'My Applications' on my.tcd.ie.

Please note the following:
    The deadline for accepting this conditional offer is midnight Thursday 03 April 2014 (GMT)
    As part of the acceptance process you will be required to pay a deposit of € 500.00 which is only refundable should you fail to meet the conditions of this offer. Acceptances are not recorded until required deposit payments have been received. (Deposit payments are considered as part payment of the tuition fee.)
    If you accept this offer you will automatically decline any earlier offer acceptances submitted for this academic year and deposits paid will be set against the deposit requirements for this course.

Advertisement