Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sarahtobin02

Mine said the following re: conditions.

Conditions of offer:

Your achievement of the minimum course entry requirements in your final year degree examinations. Please forward certified true copies of an academic transcript to include your final year degree examination results.
    Please note that you are offered a place on this course as an EU fee paying student.

Conditions can also be viewed by clicking the 'Offer Acceptance' link at the bottom of this message as well as under 'Offer notes/conditions' under 'My Applications' on my.tcd.ie.

Please note the following:
    The deadline for accepting this conditional offer is midnight Thursday 03 April 2014 (GMT)
    As part of the acceptance process you will be required to pay a deposit of € 500.00 which is only refundable should you fail to meet the conditions of this offer. Acceptances are not recorded until required deposit payments have been received. (Deposit payments are considered as part payment of the tuition fee.)
    If you accept this offer you will automatically decline any earlier offer acceptances submitted for this academic year and deposits paid will be set against the deposit requirements for this course.

It just says on mine conditional offer-waiting for response. Under offer notes/conditions it says 'conditional offer pending confirmation of final undergraduate degree'. Does this mean so you still have to get a 2:1 degree regardless? €500 deposit is quite steep I was hoping to see whether I got the PAC UCC is my first choice asides from Trinity...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rhapsodyinblu

Yeah I'm in a similar boat. I'm hoping to get offered UCD but still waiting to hear. I would be happy with either of them but I'm not sure, I was hoping to have offers from both and then have to decide you know? It would be worth ringing the PAC and asking them when they forsee their offers coming out. I rang a good while back and they said first round offers would be the first week of April but it could have changed?

I think PAC offers are usually always the first week of April so either way we will be caught. €500 is a lot of money for a non-refundable deposit but if you don't accept Trinity and pay the deposit and then don't get any offer in the PAC you're basically screwed ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Yolo141

got the email about the deposit.. my deadline is 26th March though so I guess I'll have to go ahead before pac results come out, €500 is a bit steep alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Does anyone who had their interview with DCU have any pointers? Was it just questions about general teaching methods?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Does anyone who had their interview with DCU have any pointers? Was it just questions about general teaching methods?

Its just a short chat, very informal just to tryn get to see the type of person you are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Wow that sounds way different to a post two or three pages back? The poster said they went in to far more detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

It's a few years since I did my interview. For me, it was quite similar to an interview for a teaching position. They wanted to know about any teaching experience I had. Any ideas I have for my classes. How I'd handle discipline.

Yolo141 wrote: »
    got the email about the deposit.. my deadline is 26th March though so I guess I'll have to go ahead before pac results come out, €500 is a bit steep alright!

Yeah it sure is. I'd say I'll accept Trinity and pay the deposit, I'd be afraid I wouldn't get anything from the PAC and be screwed then! I'm sure the degree in Trinity is very well recognized, just Dublin is a bit out of the way for me and the cost of living would be pretty expensive. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 I_teach_French

Yeah it sure is. I'd say I'll accept Trinity and pay the deposit, I'd be afraid I wouldn't get anything from the PAC and be screwed then! I'm sure the degree in Trinity is very well recognized, just Dublin is a bit out of the way for me and the cost of living would be pretty expensive. :/

Maybe you could ring the office and see if they'll extend the deadline for you. It would be such a waste to pay €500 if the PAC offers come out a few days later. If UCC was my first choice I would definitely ring PAC and Trinity, they might be accommodating and give you some information at least.

• Advertisement

Wonder what application numbers were like this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

Possible stupid question here, but: is UCC the only college in Ireland that is changing the PGDE to a 2 year course?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Possible stupid question here, but: is UCC the only college in Ireland that is changing the PGDE to a 2 year course?

No, they're all two years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 doobyscool

I've been offered an unconditional place in Trinity but I'm not sure if I want to stay in Ireland or go to the UK.

For those of you who are definitely doing a PME what do you plan to do about finances? Have you got saving or do you plan to get a job? Do you think there will be enough time to earn anything substantial? Or are you going to get a loan or financial support from family? I have some saving but not enough. That's my main reason for looking at the UK so I'm curious about other people's plans.

A very stupid question but at what point can or should you apply to join the teaching council, my understanding is on qualification but a friend said differently?

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    A very stupid question but at what point can or should you apply to join the teaching council, my understanding is on qualification but a friend said differently?

You don't need to join the TC unless you're going to be paid for work (subbing) for 5 consecutive days which is doubtful while doing the PME. You might get the odd few classes if teachers are out but it's not likely. I've been subbing all year and got quite a bit of work but never 5 days straight.

Thank you very much

Does anyone know when the DCU course starts and what would happen if you were unable to attend the first 3 days?

Hi guys I have a question which has been at the back of my mind. In my degree I did media studies and history, the overall grade I recieved was a 2.1, I got a higher grade in the media studies and a 2.2 in History. I went on to do an MA in a specific form of history and received a 2.1. I am wondering if I can still teach history after receiving my Pme or will my lower grade in the BA history disqualify me with the teaching council?

Hi guys I have a question which has been at the back of my mind. In my degree I did media studies and history, the overall grade I recieved was a 2.1, I got a higher grade in the media studies and a 2.2 in History. I went on to do an MA in a specific form of history and received a 2.1. I am wondering if I can still teach history after receiving my Pme or will my lower grade in the BA history disqualify me with the teaching council?

I dont believe that the grade that you receive matters to the teaching council.

• Advertisement

I hope so, my overall grade on the Ba is 2.1 somi hope it viewed like that

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Does anyone know when the PAC offers come out?

I think it usually the first week of April

Has anybody submitted their examination forms to the teaching council to assess their teachable subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 debz61288

You don't need to join the TC unless you're going to be paid for work (subbing) for 5 consecutive days which is doubtful while doing the PME. You might get the odd few classes if teachers are out but it's not likely. I've been subbing all year and got quite a bit of work but never 5 days straight.

Do you mean your not getting paid unless you do 5 consecutive days? I'd get that checked out if I was you. Iv been registered since September and get paid for any subbing class I do and iv never done 5 days consecutively!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 debz61288

Your grade won't affect you. Once you have your 54 credits in the subject area!

Did anybody pay the deposit yet?

debz61288 wrote: »
    Your grade won't affect you. Once you have your 54 credits in the subject area!

It says the following on their website 😄 plenty of info

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/AutoQuals/Autoquals%20updated%2025%20April%202013.pdf

debz61288 wrote: »
    Do you mean your not getting paid unless you do 5 consecutive days? I'd get that checked out if I was you. Iv been registered since September and get paid for any subbing class I do and iv never done 5 days consecutively!

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I'm getting paid for all of the subbing work. You only need to be a TC member if you're going to be teaching for 5 consecutive days or more. Any less that that and you can still be employed and paid without having to be a member.

So it's a waste of €95, unless you're working 5 consecutive days or more :)

I found this out after I paid the fee :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Cool thanks!
    I know Trinity gave their offers did anyone who applied get any info on fees?
    The only published ones I can find are UCC.

Advertisement