Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 I_teach_French

Cool thanks!
    I know Trinity gave their offers did anyone who applied get any info on fees?
    The only published ones I can find are UCC.

Tuition: €5,500
    Sports charge: € 77
    USI levy: € 8

Total: €5,585

When you pay your €500 deposit it'll be deducted from the total due.

I just paid mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Carton11

Cool thanks!
    I know Trinity gave their offers did anyone who applied get any info on fees?
    The only published ones I can find are UCC.

I emailed NUIM and they said that the provisional fees are year 1: 6000e and year 2: 4800e. I also emailed DCU but they said they wont know untill may :/

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Carton11 wrote: »
    I emailed NUIM and they said that the provisional fees are year 1: 6000e and year 2: 4800e. I also emailed DCU but they said they wont know untill may :/

exact same as cork there so.. thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Yolo141

does the prospect of a job throw anyone off? or do people plan on leaving the country once completed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Yolo141 wrote: »
    does the prospect of a job throw anyone off? or do people plan on leaving the country once completed?

Of course it throws people off :( I personally have thought about the fact that I wont get a full time position for many years, but I think that once I have one eventually I will be happier in a job I love doing.

I have a good degree with good prospects of getting a well paid job relatively easily, but its no good earning lots of money if you hate it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Has anyone done a distance learning course, for example ict, to add a second subject for teaching, or has anyone done other distance learning courses that are recognised by the teaching council?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Yolo141

DylanII wrote: »
    Of course it throws people off :( I personally have thought about the fact that I wont get a full time position for many years, but I think that once I have one eventually I will be happier in a job I love doing.

I have a good degree with good prospects of getting a well paid job relatively easily, but its no good earning lots of money if you hate it all.

Yeah I totally agree!

Has anyone done the DCU interview this week?

Was anyone told at the DCU interviews when we would hear back or how long? I forgot to ask. What did people think of them in general?

Carton11 wrote: »
    Was anyone told at the DCU interviews when we would hear back or how long? I forgot to ask. What did people think of them in general?

About 3-4 weeks... I think that mine went pretty well, not too sure though, my questions were completely different to what everyone else was asked.

• Advertisement

What did they ask ?

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    What did they ask ?

I was asked how i would teach junior certs about ox bow lakes, what did i understand about differentiation, my views on the current education system, what did i learn from my teaching exp....stuff like that in general. I found it quite difficult compared to the TCD interview

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tippy25

Found the DCU interview tricky enough as well.. I'd like to think I done well but I'm not too sure... I was asked about the new JC course, challenges you face as a newly qualified teacher, classroom management .. parental liasion with schools etc... they didnt seem overly interested in the fact I had classroom experience

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Turquoise Lagoon

Does anyone think the offers might be out tomorrow or would it normally be later in the week? I just want to know at this stage.

A friend of mine did the DCU interview and he also found it quite tricky.

It'll be Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

I searched the thread for this but came up with nothing, it's a bit vague and hypothetical, but here goes.

In terms of QCA (teaching hours etc. aside), what kind of QCA is needed to give you a good shot at getting the HDip? Mine is 2.76 at the minute. I'll only be applying in 2 years and I'm not sure where (possibly Galway), so admittedly this question is as vague as the day is long. I just need a piece of mind. Any vague inkling would do me :o Thanks!

131spanner wrote: »
    I searched the thread for this but came up with nothing, it's a bit vague and hypothetical, but here goes.

In terms of QCA (teaching hours etc. aside), what kind of QCA is needed to give you a good shot at getting the HDip? Mine is 2.76 at the minute. I'll only be applying in 2 years and I'm not sure where (possibly Galway), so admittedly this question is as vague as the day is long. I just need a piece of mind. Any vague inkling would do me :o Thanks!

What is a QCA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

DylanII wrote: »
    What is a QCA?

It's the results grading system UL use. It stands for Quality Credit Average, afaik. Just checked there and as my QCA stands it's worth a 2.2 degree.

Is a 2.2 Second Class Honours good or bad in terms of the HDip? I've a feeling I'm in WAY over my head here :o

Can anyone who has completed the dcu course recommend any essential reading for the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

131spanner wrote: »
    It's the results grading system UL use. It stands for Quality Credit Average, afaik. Just checked there and as my QCA stands it's worth a 2.2 degree.

Is a 2.2 Second Class Honours good or bad in terms of the HDip? I've a feeling I'm in WAY over my head here :o

You will find people with PhDs on the course. What really matters is if you can handle yourself in front of a class and from experience that has little to do with degrees attained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    You will find people with PhDs on the course. What really matters is if you can handle yourself in front of a class and from experience that has little to do with degrees attained.

What really matters is if you can handle yourself in front of a class and have excellent subject knowledge. You will never be an good teacher if EITHER is lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

TheBody wrote: »
    What really matters is if you can handle yourself in front of a class and have excellent subject knowledge. You will never be an good teacher if EITHER is lacking.

I was speaking in regard to just the Dip year. Subject knowledge and exam prep comes with time. To last the Dip year you need to be able to handle yourself in front of a class more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tippy25

ledgebag1 wrote: »
    Can anyone who has completed the dcu course recommend any essential reading for the course?

you must be fairly confident your interview went well Ledgebag, wish I was as optimistic meself!

.. As far as some of the other posters have said RE being a capable teacher, I'd definitely agree.

Good luck to everyone finding out PAC offers !

tippy25 wrote: »
    you must be fairly confident your interview went well Ledgebag, wish I was as optimistic meself!

.. As far as some of the other posters have said RE being a capable teacher, I'd definitely agree.

Hi tippy, don't get me wrong I am not confident at all, my interview was very tough, I suppose it is no harm finding out the books if I don't get accepted this year I can apply for next year.

Good luck to everyone

Offers are out, got accepted so happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hcc27

Congrats on your offer Turquoise Lagoon. Could anyone who got accepted pls let me know what class degree they got :)

hcc27 wrote: »
    Congrats on your offer Turquoise Lagoon. Could anyone who got accepted pls let me know what class degree they got :)

Hi hcc27, thanks I'm delighted. I'm in my final semester now so haven't received my degree yet, but the results I applied with were the equivalent of a First class honours degree.

The required points are now on the PAC website. Theyve all stayed about the same needing between 58 and 62% except for the business people at UCD which only needed 46%

http://www.pac.ie/pmeinfo/points.php?inst=pe

Quite annoyed at myself now for not applying to UCD :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Mia A

Hey, I got accepted to UCC today should I start looking for a school to do placement in straight away? if so does anyone know where could I find the list of approved schools, can't find it on the ucc website

Advertisement