Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Does anyone know when second round offers happen or is there likely to be any? Got my second choice

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

have to accept by the 30th so I presume second round will be a day or so after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Just got offered my place in DCU

If one of my friends didnt get a reply yet does it mean they didnt get offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Thanks, was on my phone so couldn't check. It's straight after the 30th until the 12th of May in case anyone is wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mengele

what is the story in relation to subbing if your a dip? Can dips do subbing for a few classes and get paid the unqualified rate. Do principals give dips subbing work?

What im basically trying to ask is there any way to earn money in the school while doing the dip?

• Advertisement

some people are lucky and do get subbing work but I wouldn't depend on it...
    depends on your college too.. if youre going to be working for free every morning like in ucc and the likes then when will you have time for subbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mengele

some people are lucky and do get subbing work but I wouldn't depend on it...
    depends on your college too.. if youre going to be working for free every morning like in ucc and the likes then when will you have time for subbing?

well lets say with ucc you are in the school up to 1 o clock. that's about 6 periods and well say that you have 2 of your own to teach- that leaves 4 others free. It would be handy if you got to sub for a period or two per week.

I guess .. but technically you are to be in that school for those hours as part of your teaching practice so it depends whether the school is willing to pay you or they see it as part of placement.
    Tbh its beyond me that we have to do these placements for free and equivalent students like nurses get paid... that's life I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 buckinit

Hi there,

Like many people, I've got accepted to the PME full time course today in NUIM. I'm aware this is the first year that the course will be 2 years long and would just like to ask a question to anyone who may know if the structure of the course will remain the same (i.e teaching Monday and Friday with class Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday). Also, on a general note, how is the time-table set out? Are all PME students in class together or are we in class based on subjects we're learning to teach?

Thank you in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tippy25

mate of mine got sorted with temporary registration with the TC so he could get paid for subbing while doing his dip ... mates of mine who where lucky to get as much as one class of subbing while on placement prior to 2010 are on the old pay/increments scale.

I got offered a place in DCU today... happy out to be honest... well done to everyone who got offers today for whatever college.

Anybody else get DCU offers today.. whats the story with accepting them / paying deposits etc?

• Advertisement

tippy25 wrote: »
    mate of mine got sorted with temporary registration with the TC so he could get paid for subbing while doing his dip ... mates of mine who where lucky to get as much as one class of subbing while on placement prior to 2010 are on the old pay/increments scale.

I got offered a place in DCU today... happy out to be honest... well done to everyone who got offers today for whatever college.

Anybody else get DCU offers today.. whats the story with accepting them / paying deposits etc?

I was offered DCU too. Has to be paid by April 16th... Doesn't even say I need a specific grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Got a place in dcu. Congrats to everyone who got a place on a course. I see dcu may have to have lectures three days a week which is a bit of a mare as i work and will probably have to look for further hours off or lose my job,

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rhapsodyinblu

Congratulations to everyone who got offered places!

Anybody else going to be doing Music or French in Trinity?

Time to get looking for placements. Anyone know how we go about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Yolo141

For those who got Trinity, are we supposed to look for a school now? I didn't hear anything about this, surely we would have been told what the story is?

I hadn't heard anything either but I'm pretty sure we do have to. Schools get snapped up really fast. I just called their office a minute ago and the lady said to call back on Monday and that they would tell me about it then. I heard her ask someone across the room on the phone about when to call back so I'd say give calling them a go now and they might tell you whats up. The number is +353-1-896 1488

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Irishcailin89

Last year I got accepted to UCD which was my second choice on first rounds, I went looking for schools straight away as the competition is high. Ended up getting my first choice in Galway a month later I think, so even if you accept your first offer you can still get your first offer in the second choice Anyone applying to schools, put in your subjects in the header so they know what your subjetcs are for selecting interviews. It helps them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Carton11

Yolo141 wrote: »
    For those who got Trinity, are we supposed to look for a school now? I didn't hear anything about this, surely we would have been told what the story is?

I think they are sorting our placement this year, well thats what she said in the interview. But double check anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Yolo141

Carton11 wrote: »
    I think they are sorting our placement this year, well thats what she said in the interview. But double check anyway.

yeah that's what I had heard too.. we would have been told by now if we had to sort our own surely. Hopefully anyway!

I've sent my cv around to a few schools for tp. Is it better to email? ..
    How long does it take for interviews since schools are on hols after this week is it better to follow up in the next few days ? It's such an awkward time !

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Carton11

I was offered a place on the PME for TCD and NUIM. I paid the deposit for TCD but I'm going to accept NUIM. Does anyone know what way I should withdraw from the course. Would an email do or would I have to ring them?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Turquoise Lagoon

Hey :), just wondering how long did it take to get a reply from a school for teaching placement? Is it best to email them your cv or perhaps send a hard copy in the post. I'm not from cork so I cant just walk into the school and give it to them in person.

Yolo141 wrote: »
    yeah that's what I had heard too.. we would have been told by now if we had to sort our own surely. Hopefully anyway!

I gave them a rang and they said they'll be organising it

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mia A

Hey :), just wondering how long did it take to get a reply from a school for teaching placement? Is it best to email them your cv or perhaps send a hard copy in the post. I'm not from cork so I cant just walk into the school and give it to them in person.

I've sent out a few emails but haven't gotten a reply from any school yet, I don't know whether I should be worried or not :confused: but all I keep hearing is that school places are filled up quickly

I keep hearing people telling me that spaces fill quick but I'm still to hear of anyone actually getting a space.
    Not sure how that makes sense.

Ive had a few emails that schools wont be considering me due to my subjects :/

What subjects do you have Mia A?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mia A

hi roxyworldgirl, my subjects would be English and CSPE which I suppose are quite common. Randomly about five minutes after I made that post i got an email from a school saying - Unfortunately we will not have a vacancy for your subjects. God i hope they aren't all like that :eek:

I got my placement sorted in October and I know of another person who got there's in November, we had to contact tons of schools...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Have an interview for Strathclyde;
    Our selection procedure comprises a presentation and an individual interview. Your presentation should be on any subject of your choice; some applicants choose to talk about educational or English related matters; others share life experiences or talk about issues in which they have an interest or for which they have a passion. There are no restrictions so long as your topic engages your audience. The presentation offers you the chance to show us that you have the skills and personality to plan and convey ideas, and to engage an audience. You will be allowed only five minutes for your presentation, followed by two minutes for questions. These times will be strictly adhered to. Please note that you will NOT have access to IT hardware so please do NOT prepare a digital presentation. You may if you wish, prepare hand-outs for your audience, which will comprise two assessors and up to four of your fellow applicants. However, we are more interested in you at this stage so hand-outs are not mandatory.

Your individual interview will follow and will take about 20 minutes. You will be interviewed by one member of the School of Education and one teacher from a school. We want to know what you know about English and about education, what you know about young people, and what your values are in relation to education. We will work very hard to put you at your ease and to make this serious event as accessible and non-threatening as we can make it. However, we ask you to think about this as your first professional interview for the post of teacher, rather than as an interview for a place as a student on a course. So, think, behave and speak professionally.

Thinking of maybe youth drinking/healthy lifestyles for my 5 minute presentation. Wouldn't mind ending up in Glasgow at all really.

DylanII wrote: »
    I got my placement sorted in October and I know of another person who got there's in November, we had to contact tons of schools...

DylanII this sounds like you've done the course already? are you not in this thread as an incoming dipper? .. Did you get them just by ringing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

To get into DCU you had to have your placement sorted already

• Advertisement

That's a really odd system! you're getting a school to agree to give you a place that you mightn't even need? :s

Advertisement