Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dimples06

Just wondering if everyone elses application status is the same as mine?? Worrying incase they havent received all my documents!

"Your application has been received. Please ensure that all supporting documents are submitted within 7 days of making your application, with your PAC Application Number clearly marked on all documents. Any documentation received after this date will be deemed late and will not be considered for assessment purposes under any circumstances. You will not receive points for any portion of your application form not fully supported by the relevant documentation and submitted in accordance with the aforementioned deadlines."

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

dimples06 wrote: »
    Just wondering if everyone elses application status is the same as mine?? Worrying incase they havent received all my documents!

"Your application has been received. Please ensure that all supporting documents are submitted within 7 days of making your application, with your PAC Application Number clearly marked on all documents. Any documentation received after this date will be deemed late and will not be considered for assessment purposes under any circumstances. You will not receive points for any portion of your application form not fully supported by the relevant documentation and submitted in accordance with the aforementioned deadlines."

Mine says the same, so we must have done something right! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

Hey mine said that too so I called PAC. The lady assured me that it is a generic response, and that if you are missing anything that they will be in contact with you. So if ya havent heard I guess your fine! I know, I had a slight panic attack also! :)

dno7239 wrote: »
    Hey mine said that too so I called PAC. The lady assured me that it is a generic response, and that if you are missing anything that they will be in contact with you. So if ya havent heard I guess your fine! I know, I had a slight panic attack also! :)

Thanks for that info dno7239, it's a load off of my mind! Now to say a few prayers that my 44 points will be enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sachor

polikmu wrote: »
    I emailed the teaching council to get confirmation on what subjects i would be able to teach with my degree. I did a BA in computer science and geography. The geography is the same as what any other arts student would have done for 3 years. And i got a 2.1. I didnt do my final 4th year in computer science and left with a pass.

I emailed thinking that being able to teach geography was a no brainer, and that i was more querying would i be able to teach maths with my comp science.

They got back to me saying that "your undergraduate qualification is not automatically recognised you will have to apply for recognition by completing the Post Primary Qualifications Assessment Form".

Surely i should be able to apply for the hdip to teach geography, because this just sounds like a big money making scam for the TC, €200 to get a degree assessed?

Any one else experience this?

I did maths part time in UCD. I did all the same subjects as the full time BA students but because it was part-time it wasn't on the 'recognised degree' list and so had to pay €200 to get it accredited. My second 200 btw, had to pay for my social science degree to be accredited for teaching CSPE! Was sick having to pay the money again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Sabscababs

Hey all,

I've just read through all these posts, so apologies if I'm searching in the wrong thread, but given that some of us here seem to be awaiting the golden email from PAC/Trinity about an interview, I thought I'd check if any former PGDE peeps might be able to tell us a bit about the interview process.

I have a friend who did it last year and got a place on the waiting list (she did, however, get a place in the UCD course, and went there in the end), but if anyone here has also gone through the process, perhaps they could tell us a little about it? My friend mentioned that there were questions about the secondary school course (this, of course, makes sense, given that it's something teachers would get to know very well), but can anyone offer any more information on what to expect?

Thanks. "smiley face"

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Has anyone got any idea what way the points are going this year, are they predicted to rise, fall or stay the same? I'm on 47 points with a business degree so I'm getting nervous.

Also I found this schedule on the NUI Galway website but I take it this does not apply to the PGDE?

http://www.nuigalway.ie/postgrad/closingdates/

Nope, that's not for the PGDE (it's listed as an exception to that date in the box below on that page you linked to). Early April, from what I've heard. As regards the points for this year, I haven't heard anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Hi,

I have a 2:1 in history from TCD which had a very strong emphasis on modern Irish history. I've looked around but cannot find an answer to this question. Can you apply to as many courses in different institutions as you like? I'm going to have to wait until next year to apply, and would be gutted if I were rejected next year and told to reapply, wasting an entire year in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Denerick wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a 2:1 in history from TCD which had a very strong emphasis on modern Irish history. I've looked around but cannot find an answer to this question. Can you apply to as many courses in different institutions as you like? I'm going to have to wait until next year to apply, and would be gutted if I were rejected next year and told to reapply, wasting an entire year in the process.

Yep, apply away. Its all covered through PAC now. For the NUI colleges its similar to a CAO points system where you give 1st,2nd,3rd preferences. TCD is an interview. Deadline is usually December

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 smcmaths

I have also applied for the PGDE for UCC and I have 44 points. What do people reckon the points will be this year?

How are points calculated? Will my 2:1 be the norm? I'm sorry for all the stupid questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 smcmaths

points are calculated on your overall percentage mark for your degree and on additional certificates/diplomas and number of years teaching experience you have.

Well, the Trinity interview places are obviously being dished out at the moment - got the notice today. Didn't get one, but ah well! Best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Ah, pity. Maybe next year for you?

I'm waiting to hear. Did you get an email or something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PeeWe

You get an email from PAC telling you your status has been updated

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Thanks PeeWee, unfortunately I was unsuccessful. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PeeWe

:( chin up - you will get there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 spjhalion

Hi all. Tried scrolling throught this forum for about 8 pages to see if my Q was already asked and couldn't see it so... I've applied to do my H.Dip in Education in Trinity and all four of the NUI. I think im right on the mark points wise for the PAC system and I've a diploma for teaching drama and have taught English grinds for just over a year. Today I was told I would not be offered an interview with Trinity so am now worrying about the NUI applications. I know there are courses in St. Patricks, Thurles that offer secondary school teaching courses in subjects such as Business and Religion but I was wondering if anyone knew of any other such courses? Ideally teaching history, english or religion. Sorry for the long post but basically any other secondary teaching courses available other than the Trinity and NUI courses I've applied to. Thanks.

spjhalion wrote: »
    Hi all. Tried scrolling throught this forum for about 8 pages to see if my Q was already asked and couldn't see it so... I've applied to do my H.Dip in Education in Trinity and all four of the NUI. I think im right on the mark points wise for the PAC system and I've a diploma for teaching drama and have taught English grinds for just over a year. Today I was told I would not be offered an interview with Trinity so am now worrying about the NUI applications. I know there are courses in St. Patricks, Thurles that offer secondary school teaching courses in subjects such as Business and Religion but I was wondering if anyone knew of any other such courses? Ideally teaching history, english or religion. Sorry for the long post but basically any other secondary teaching courses available other than the Trinity and NUI courses I've applied to. Thanks.

Don't worry yet - wait until the NUI offers come out in April. No one can really predict which way the points are going to go so you might just get lucky :)

• Advertisement

Any of you apply for the UK equivilent? The deadline is the end of June and there seems to be quite a few vacancies still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alanab1

Hey guys,
    Just wondering, does anyone know if the points for the hdip (pgde) are going to come down? Im finding it really hard to get good enough results to obtain the set points. I want to teach music and english and have thought piano for the last 3 years but apparently it is not counted because it was one to one, which is silly because it is still teaching. I would give my left arm to become a teacher and I am wondering if anyone has anything that could help??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Moved to PGDE thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Hi
    That course in St Pats in Thurles is a concurrent 4 year teaching degree in education, business, and Religion. To register with the Irish teaching council you would need to have your teaching subjects to degree level. Check gttr.ac.uk for vacancies and criteria for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

alanab1 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Just wondering, does anyone know if the points for the hdip (pgde) are going to come down? Im finding it really hard to get good enough results to obtain the set points. I want to teach music and english and have thought piano for the last 3 years but apparently it is not counted because it was one to one, which is silly because it is still teaching. I would give my left arm to become a teacher and I am wondering if anyone has anything that could help??

Hi,
    I thought you might be interested that Griffith college (fee paying) are running a teaching diploma in music . Also its very difficult to say about the points as theres such a high demand for places. it was 43 for ucd, ucc, nuig and maynooth shot up to 45 last year :( You just never know.
    Good luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

alanab1 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

University of Limerick, do a special Dip for Music Teaching. The closing date for this year is the 4th of March. You just need a 2.2.

Heres a link to the info: http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Research/Graduate_School/Prospective_Students/Graduate_Programmes/Taught_Programmes/Education_&_Health_Sciences/Music_GDip

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Baron_Kunkel

Are there any evening H.Dip in Education Courses available? I can't seem to find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

I have a post graduate diploma in Special Educational Studies from Trinity college 2nd class hours (upper). Just wondering how I can progress on from this to teach at second level or in further education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lellskells

Cant believe its only four weeks away from the offers, a bit nervous, just applied for NUIG, family commitments! really wonder what way the points will go, hopiing Ill get points for professional work experience but PAC wont confirm this til after the offers. anyone else awaiting a precious PGDE offer. Is there another thread on this, I am a first time poster:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Posts moved to PGDE thread.

Advertisement