Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

DylanII this sounds like you've done the course already? are you not in this thread as an incoming dipper? .. Did you get them just by ringing?

No Im an incoming dipper :D

I emailed my CV to schools ...

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

DylanII wrote: »
    No Im an incoming dipper :D

I emailed my CV to schools ...

Ah ok cool!
    Sorry if that came across as blunt... think the stress is already getting to me!

Did you do any interviews? Wondering what they'll be like!

The advice would give would be, walk into the school, schools get heaps of cv's so if you can call in and make an impression it could help

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

mengele wrote: »
    what is the story in relation to subbing if your a dip? Can dips do subbing for a few classes and get paid the unqualified rate. Do principals give dips subbing work?

What im basically trying to ask is there any way to earn money in the school while doing the dip?

On your first day tell the dp that you're available for yard duty and will gladly sub if anything comes along. In my the school that I did the dip in Cork the dips got about 2 classes p/w and a little and big break supervision p/w. Won't make you rich but it surely all helps.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Turquoise Lagoon

Another rejection, doing wonders for the self esteem :P it's always the same response no vacancies in subject.

All rejections so far said not in my subjects but got one today that said they'd reached their quota ... Now that freaked me out !

Got one of those emails yesterday the person was quiet blunt telling me they had already taken on two people in that subject area. Ive been emailing mostly but think il start sending hard copies out as well.
    I started looking for a school straight away so I dont see how people offered places in the second round could have much luck.Out of interest roxyworldgirl where will you be doing the dip?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Great, was hoping I wouldn't have to think about placement until I got my degree sorted....

Got one of those emails yesterday the person was quiet blunt telling me they had already taken on two people in that subject area. Ive been emailing mostly but think il start sending hard copies out as well.
    I started looking for a school straight away so I dont see how people offered places in the second round could have much luck.Out of interest roxyworldgirl where will you be doing the dip?

Maynooth :) u?
    I did the opposite, I sent hard copies out last week and only got one reply. When I started emailing this week the quick rejection emails started coming in.
    There's probably no hope in hearing anything the next few weeks with the Easter break ?

• Advertisement

You are always more likely to get a position in your old school. When I was sending out emails and cv's most places would not even reply

Maynooth :) u?
    I did the opposite, I sent hard copies out last week and only got one reply. When I started emailing this week the quick rejection emails started coming in.
    There's probably no hope in hearing anything the next few weeks with the Easter break ?

Il be doing it in Cork :) a day after I accepted my offer I sent out a few emails and have gotten no replies yet, but the ones I sent this week are quick to come back with rejections. Im just worried the other schools that arent replying are rejections as well but just couldn't be bothered letting me know :confused: Ya its an annoying time applying just before the Easter break.

ledgebag1 im not from Cork so unfortunately i can't apply to my old school

Talk to your old principal they might know someone in cork, it could help and might work out for you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

Il be doing it in Cork :) a day after I accepted my offer I sent out a few emails and have gotten no replies yet, but the ones I sent this week are quick to come back with rejections. Im just worried the other schools that arent replying are rejections as well but just couldn't be bothered letting me know :confused: Ya its an annoying time applying just before the Easter break.

ledgebag1 im not from Cork so unfortunately i can't apply to my old school

what subjects?

f140 wrote: »
    what subjects?

The main subject I would be teaching is English

The main subject I would be teaching is English

I would have thought that would have been an easy enough one to get teaching practice in. are you applying to schools looking for just English or are you looking for another subject as well.

In cork you need tp in both ..

I understand that but asfaik if you didn't have a second one you would do a cross curricular module instead. what is your second one so? would it be that one is holding you back getting placement?

edit: I thought it was the other poster had posted so that's why I asked about the second subject

No as far as I know if your qualified in one subject then you just teach that subject and then pick up a cross ciricular module.

My degree is in English and Psychology so I would be able to teach CSPE aswell, but obviously I'd want the experience in English teaching. The problem I was having was that schools were replying saying they already had students for those subjects or they were not offering placement in those subjects at all. But I've had a few offers since my last post

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Thundering_Sky

Hi, I've an interview for teaching practice in a school this week; just wondering what sort of questions I could be asked? Or does anyone have any tips :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RoySheehan

Hi everyone, I have been offered a place on the PME this year in UCC. If I make a total balls of my degree, can the place be taken away from me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kaspa91

Hey I'm new to boards so hope I'm posting in the right place.

I applied to the PME without thinking I'd have a chance and I've been offered a place. I'm happy but also scared sh1tless and I feel completely unprepared. I've started looking for placement, but am I expected to start teaching classes straight away in September before lectures even start? I've absolutely no teaching experience so I'm quite apprehensive about it.

anyone in the same position or have any advice I'd be much appreciated, thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RoySheehan

Kaspa91 wrote: »
    Hey I'm new to boards so hope I'm posting in the right place.

I applied to the PME without thinking I'd have a chance and I've been offered a place. I'm happy but also scared sh1tless and I feel completely unprepared. I've started looking for placement, but am I expected to start teaching classes straight away in September before lectures even start? I've absolutely no teaching experience so I'm quite apprehensive about it.

anyone in the same position or have any advice I'd be much appreciated, thanks!!

I think that you are shadowing a teacher teach few classes in Junior cycle and around the October midterm that is when you start teaching the classes yourself.

RoySheehan wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I have been offered a place on the PME this year in UCC. If I make a total balls of my degree, can the place be taken away from me?

The offers are conditional depending on completion of the degree... no certain grade needs to be achieved.

I think that you are shadowing a teacher teach few classes in Junior cycle and around the October midterm that is when you start teaching the classes yourself.

Cheers! That sounds a lot more manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

you just need to pass the degree but as you've got the points from your 2nd yr grades you're more than capable of this. if you apply after you've received your degree you get 4 extra points which is an extra 8%. you sound worried like someone who has missed a deadline, if there is a reason for this you can contact your lecturer or college doctor and they might give you and extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 buckinit

Hi everyone!

Has anyone sorted their placement yet? I've applied to a few places but no word back yet, which makes me worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Carton11

buckinit wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Has anyone sorted their placement yet? I've applied to a few places but no word back yet, which makes me worried!

I'm the same, emailed a lot of schools but none have replied. What is your subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 buckinit

Carton11 wrote: »
    I'm the same, emailed a lot of schools but none have replied. What is your subjects?

My subjects are History and Geography, seem to be quite common subjects, not as a group taken together.

Is E-mailing the most effective approach I'm beginning to wonder?

• Advertisement

buckinit wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I've emailed a load of schools and gotten replies saying they have no vacancies; one school rang me to arrange an interview but then cancelled it because a past pupil came looking for placement and they were given priority.

Advertisement