Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sara3305

Does anyone know how we are supposed to go about teaching in the first week? I'm starting the 25th so before we've had any lectures. apart from that being really daunting, what are we actually supposed to teach? ! I mean are we supposed to know what's on the curriculum? Do get that from our schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Zippacat

Sara3305 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how we are supposed to go about teaching in the first week? I'm starting the 25th so before we've had any lectures. apart from that being really daunting, what are we actually supposed to teach? ! I mean are we supposed to know what's on the curriculum? Do get that from our schools?

Don't worry. On the first day you can spend some time going around the class and having the students tell you a little about themselves. Then you could outline your class rules and give a brief outline of the course. You can talk to the relevant subject leader in your school if you'd like to know ahead of time what book you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

would you mind sharing the 5 point plan? I'm starting in September but will start teaching before college begins so as you can imagine I'm pretty terrified! it would be a massive help!

i remember i was petrified before my first week but once you start it you're too busy to fear anything. this system is pretty basic but it really helped give me a bit of structure before i started using the technology stuff.

1. take roll and then correct homework. ask some to read out answers while you're going around correcting. you don't always have to give homework but if you do you should always correct. rehash on the previous few lessons if still on the same topic.

2. quick intro discussion on what you'll be doing in the class. get a couple of pupils to read a few paragraphs each.

3. put the class to work doing some questions, drawing a diagram and explaining it. that type of stuff and during the year your tutor/lecturers will introduce teaching stratagies like group work and "think pair share".

4. correct the work

5. give homework and rehash the lesson.

basic stuff but it really helped me helped be before christmas.

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

I'm still awaiting confirmation, or rejection of the school which I applied to. It is my former school. I was told two weeks ago that the decision would be made last week, but I still have no answer and don't want to pester again having to ask. Are anyone else still without a school for placement? I'm nervous now

• Registered Users Posts: 20 donaghcl

I'm still awaiting confirmation, or rejection of the school which I applied to. It is my former school. I was told two weeks ago that the decision would be made last week, but I still have no answer and don't want to pester again having to ask. Are anyone else still without a school for placement? I'm nervous now

I have sent emails out to a number of schools but I have yet to hear back. I'm from donegal so I wouldn't know any of the schools in Dublin but I also am getting slightly nervous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

Principals will be around all of June so you still have time. They usually take july off but use june for interviews etc and of course the exams are on. I'd start ringing around now instead of emails. .

Hermia wrote: »
    Principals will be around all of June so you still have time. They usually take july off but use june for interviews etc and of course the exams are on. I'd start ringing around now instead of emails. .

I rang around a couple and most told me to email on details as the principal hadn't decided yet which subjects they were taking on for the PME. Also I am at home in Donegal all summer working. Will I have to travel up for interviews for the schools or do they sometimes offer placements without a formal interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hermia

It's usually pretty informal if you've to meet them but some can decide to take you on without a meeting. If I were you, I'd ring around schools you haven't contacted this week to ask and then tell them you'll forward details immediately via email. It would be better if you arrived into the school as they have to deal with that on the spot

I too start teaching the 25th and have know idea how best to prepare or where to even begin. How do we teach if we haven't been given any advice or help yet. So excited t get started but so nervous at the fact we start teaching weeks before college begins

Also has anyone any experience or know anyone who has taught in Terenure college?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

I did the dip this year. I just finished up :)
    Try not to worry - the school you are placed at will first allocate you your teaching timetable. then you will meet with your subject teachers and they will tell you what to teach during your placement. your school will most likely have some spare textbooks that the kids have left behind and you can take them. or the teachers may have some spare to give you.
    once you know what you are supposed to teach, i would strongly advise you to print off a copy of your subject syllabus which you can google and download - for example google history junior cert syllabus. the syllabus is always what you should refer to first when you are planning your lessons and schemes.
    don't worry - if you have a placement school lined up, then they will be expecting you and they will show you what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I have had no contact from my teaching school yet even to talk about when I start, a cooperating teacher or a timetable since they agreed to take me in January. I've emailed yesterday but got no response yet.

Should I be a little worried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Give them a call to be on the safe side. The principal should be still there with the exams going on. It'll put your mind at ease:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Teachm

Most schools take a few days before classes get into operation so on the first few days you will get to meet your co operating teachers and find out what you will be teaching.generally can get teacher copies of textbooks from suppliers or spares in school.i know maynooth pgde students spend a week observing other classes before they teach.
    Remember my first time in a class twenty years ago where I just had to supervise.gave students work and stood at back of the class trembling.
    Pretend your confident.do lots of preparation and take lots of advice and help from auld WANs like me.trust me ye'll be grand and love it when you get goin

DylanII wrote: »
    I have had no contact from my teaching school yet even to talk about when I start, a cooperating teacher or a timetable since they agreed to take me in January. I've emailed yesterday but got no response yet.

Should I be a little worried?

In short - no.
    Schools are up to their eyes at the moment with exams and timetabling.
    You will hear from them about your placement in August.
    I'm sure they'll reply to your email, but there's definitely no need to worry.

donaghcl wrote: »
    I rang around a couple and most told me to email on details as the principal hadn't decided yet which subjects they were taking on for the PME. Also I am at home in Donegal all summer working. Will I have to travel up for interviews for the schools or do they sometimes offer placements without a formal interview?

I got my placement without an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tippy25

DCU Course Handbooks landed in the letterbox last week. Getting real now ..

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hi if I apply next year for the Professional Masters in Education using my second year results, will I have to get the same if not better percentage in my third year results or do I just have to pass? (Obviously want to do better than that, just want to know).

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Hey there,

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, I've read through previous pages and didn't really see anything that answered my question.

I am an undergraduate student in UL and I am studying a course called Languages, Literature and Film, majoring in English and minoring in German.

I am going into my final year this year and afterwards would look to go and study a hdip. My only problem is I don't know where I CAN go, when to apply and the way you go about it.

Am I correct in saying it is only NUIG, TCD, UCD and UCC that teach the HDip? Maybe I am wrong..

Also for some reason, somebody told me the NUIG course, you need Irish for. Is this true? I am English and lived there for 15 years so I never was taught Irish here or there and therefore would not be able to do that :/ I'm a bit worried for that.

My other question is what are the points you need to get? Are they equivalent to the credits of the subject you want to teach or something?

I am sorry I sound clueless, that is because I am. I have no idea what I need to do with all of this and any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Aragneer wrote: »
    Hey there,

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, I've read through previous pages and didn't really see anything that answered my question.

I am an undergraduate student in UL and I am studying a course called Languages, Literature and Film, majoring in English and minoring in German.

I am going into my final year this year and afterwards would look to go and study a hdip. My only problem is I don't know where I CAN go, when to apply and the way you go about it.

Am I correct in saying it is only NUIG, TCD, UCD and UCC that teach the HDip? Maybe I am wrong..

Also for some reason, somebody told me the NUIG course, you need Irish for. Is this true? I am English and lived there for 15 years so I never was taught Irish here or there and therefore would not be able to do that :/ I'm a bit worried for that.

My other question is what are the points you need to get? Are they equivalent to the credits of the subject you want to teach or something?

I am sorry I sound clueless, that is because I am. I have no idea what I need to do with all of this and any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

Try Hibernia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

NUI Maynooth do the dip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hey there,

Hi, a lot of the questions that you have asked are answered in this page, you just need to click the links, the PAC link shows you how points are calculated and what the points were last year. The page also shows entry requirements and subject requirements for both primary and secondary school teaching. I'm not sure if you want to do primary or secondary school teaching but the dip has been replaced with a two year masters in education degree across the board and the fees are about 10,000. http://www.nuigalway.ie/careers/students/faq/teaching.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Thank you all, I had a look around and all questions have been answered, thanks again.

I only have one question about fees.
    I'm looking into NUIG for the two year course and it says fees are 4,900 and something, is this for the two years or do I have to pay this the first year and the same the next year?
    It's very expensive and I need to start saving the money :/

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Thank you all, I had a look around and all questions have been answered, thanks again.

I only have one question about fees.
    I'm looking into NUIG for the two year course and it says fees are 4,900 and something, is this for the two years or do I have to pay this the first year and the same the next year?
    It's very expensive and I need to start saving the money :/

Presuming nuig would be the same As ucc and nuim which is
    Year one 6,000
    Year two 4800

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭username84

I have my interview for this course next week. It has been MANY years since I finished my degree and was wondering about the depth of knowledge I need to show in my subjects?

I fear a week of cramming and google ahead :confused:

Thanks!

Has anyone received any further information from ucd yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Just the Curriculum and about the New Junior Cert. Your interview will be in the subject you chose as your first subject mainly.

When I did mine years ago, it was all about geography and only one question on irish and that was, why I like the language.

It starts off about why you chose that course and why do you want to be a teacher etc but will mainly focus on the curriculum, classroom management and discipline.

I'd throw in loads about literacy. works every time for them.

PM me if you need anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Avril.k

Hi Guys. Is anyone else attending UCC in the coming year? I have my place and my school, but UCC sent a letter a few weeks back to get a timetable and a signed statement for thee school principal. I contacted my school by phone in the first week, email in the second week and I've tried ringing them now again the past 2 weeks but I have had no response. In my first call the secretary said that they would contact us when the timetables were ready but I've heard nothing. UCC gave a deadline of the 27th of June. Just wondering has anyone else had a problem with this? Also if anyone has any advice on what to do now, I'd really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Thundering_Sky

Avril.k wrote: »
    Hi Guys. Is anyone else attending UCC in the coming year? I have my place and my school, but UCC sent a letter a few weeks back to get a timetable and a signed statement for thee school principal. I contacted my school by phone in the first week, email in the second week and I've tried ringing them now again the past 2 weeks but I have had no response. In my first call the secretary said that they would contact us when the timetables were ready but I've heard nothing. UCC gave a deadline of the 27th of June. Just wondering has anyone else had a problem with this? Also if anyone has any advice on what to do now, I'd really appreciate it.

Hi im also going to ucc in september :) I contacted my school and they said they wont have the timetable finalised for at least 2 weeks; I emailed Carol Kennedy and she said its no problem and the timetable can be sent in when ready. So dont worry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

hi! what is the salary of a new teacher? and do you get paid more if you teach more than 1 subject? thanks

Advertisement