Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lellskells

heh can you post the link cant fine the specific PGDE thread:confused:, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Eh, you just posted in it. :)

great!!
    better go back to the newbie faqs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Got offered a place on the part time dip course in DCU today. I'm over the moon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sabscababs

Heydeldel wrote: »
    Ah, pity. Maybe next year for you?

I'm waiting to hear. Did you get an email or something like that?

Hey again,

I'm sure you've heard from them by now, but yep, it was just a changed status on my PAC application. Still hoping for UCD, to be honest, which would be great because I'm there now, so I know the place well. I just want to do the dip; I don't mind where! :) Good luck for yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Thanks S. Fingers crossed for April 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 daydream believer

I'm also waiting impatiently to hear from PAC on 1st April. I've applied to Manooth, DCU and Galway although my family commitments and location will make Manooth the easiest option for me. I'd love to know what the points situation will be like this year..I think I have 45 points but I'm very confused about whether I will get any extra points for experience and nobody in PAC seems to be able to tell me either. I have three years working part-time, teaching as an extra-curricular activity in National Schools and five years full-time experience working as a PA in France which required me to do a good bit of translation and interpretation. I'll just have to wait till 1st April to find out I suppose but as patience was mever my favourite virtue, four weeks seems like a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

The experience part confuses me also. I can't even remember what they asked on the application form! I did send poof of having almost 400 hours subbing in a secondary school but not sure if this will be counted as it was 'unqualified' work. Also confused as to whether I added my points up right. my degree was Eng and Philos so I calculated my points using the overall grade from both, but seeing as Eng is my only teaching subject should I have just used the grade from that? ugh should have just rand pac. I think I have 47 points. Hate waiting and should stop reading boards freaking myself out about all things PGDE! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Heydeldel wrote: »
    The experience part confuses me also. I can't even remember what they asked on the application form! I did send poof of having almost 400 hours subbing in a secondary school but not sure if this will be counted as it was 'unqualified' work. Also confused as to whether I added my points up right. my degree was Eng and Philos so I calculated my points using the overall grade from both, but seeing as Eng is my only teaching subject should I have just used the grade from that? ugh should have just rand pac. I think I have 47 points. Hate waiting and should stop reading boards freaking myself out about all things PGDE! :)

You were right to calculate your points based on both of your subjects - it is your primary degree that is important when adding up your points, not your potential teaching subjects. I know that points given for teaching experience has been done away with - although i'm not sure if paid subbing work is included in that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

dimples06 wrote: »
    Just wondering if everyone elses application status is the same as mine?? Worrying incase they havent received all my documents!

"Your application has been received. Please ensure that all supporting documents are submitted within 7 days of making your application, with your PAC Application Number clearly marked on all documents. Any documentation received after this date will be deemed late and will not be considered for assessment purposes under any circumstances. You will not receive points for any portion of your application form not fully supported by the relevant documentation and submitted in accordance with the aforementioned deadlines."

Has anybody's application updated any further than this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Mine's the same lads.

dory wrote: »
    Mine's the same lads.
    mine is the same and i believe this is fine. I called PAC about this weeks back and they will contact you if they have not received some/all of your documents.

I was posting on another forum here and I was prompted that the PGDE will likely change to a two year course in 2012. Im my opinioin this must be a little for further away than 2012, would there not be something more official if it was that close. Its just I will not be able to do it (if I get it) till 2012 and I dont want to spend two years doing it!!!! Any comments/insights welcome

lellskells wrote: »
    I was posting on another forum here and I was prompted that the PGDE will likely change to a two year course in 2012. Im my opinioin this must be a little for further away than 2012, would there not be something more official if it was that close. Its just I will not be able to do it (if I get it) till 2012 and I dont want to spend two years doing it!!!! Any comments/insights welcome

Yes, I've heard plans from the TC and other sources about making the PGDE a two-year programme. I understand that it might annoy some people, but if it helps better regulate the profession and increase teaching standards and training, it doesn't seem so outrageous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

lellskells wrote: »

Yes, it's true. I am currently completing the PGDE at the moment and we recently had a teaching council talk and the speaker said that the TC were 100% committed to increasing the length to two years. And as far as I am aware it will be in 2012!!

sjms wrote: »
    Yes, it's true. I am currently completing the PGDE at the moment and we recently had a teaching council talk and the speaker said that the TC were 100% committed to increasing the length to two years. And as far as I am aware it will be in 2012!!

I'm not overly fussed about increasing the length, except for the fact that teacher training will then involve two years of UNPAID teaching rather than just the one, which is hard enough at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mr_november

Hey, just wondering...I'm in second year and planning on applying for the PGDE... Now I know they take your 2nd year results if I apply to do it straight after my degree but what is it your 2nd year results alone that they go by?
    As in what happens if I get enough points in my 2nd year results but then in my final year and overall grade for my degree I only get say 50%? Would that affect anything? Surely it's easier to do well in 2nd year than 3rd year so it wouldn't be an even playing field so to speak?

:cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mr_october

anyone any idea when Trinity will be making offers?! Is it done on the same day as the NUI ones?!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dno7239

They told me it was the first week of April at my interview. Ughhh that time is coming soon Need to start prayin

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

Hi I am a primary school teacher, qualified last May from Mary I. I havn't managed to get my dip this year and was wondering if anyone knows if I could do my Dip in the UK and would it still be valid in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PeeWe

Hi everyone the offers for TCD came out the 25th and 26th of March last year (ie the Thursday and the Friday of this week!):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JohnJoe1987

Ive just have a few quick queries regarding my options for this year. I have completed my four year hons degree in PE from Tralee IT in 2009 and was hoping to complete my H Dip but i want to do it in the UK and im not sure of the closing dates for next septembers H Dip courses in PE. Do you think i would be better to complete my H Dip first or could i get a job in the UK. The degree i have qualifies me to teach in Irish VEC schools but i was wondering would i have a chance of getting employment in the UK with this degree as the job prospects are a lot better. I was working as a sub teacher last year in an irish school for a few months and i would like to continue teaching in the UK but im not sure whether to get the H Dip done first but it might be too late to apply for this year. Also if anyone has any advice for what colleges or areas to study/teach in the UK it would be great to hear

sjms wrote: »

Contacted the TC, here is their reply, Thank God!!

''The proposal to extend the PGDE to two years comes from two draft documents: The Teaching Council’s Draft Policy on the Continuum of Teacher Education and ‘Better Literacy and Numeracy for children and young People’ A Draft national Plan to Improve Literacy and Numeracy in Schools from the Department of Education & Skills

The indicative timeline is 2014/2015 for the extended PGDEs but it must be noted that both of these documents are at ‘draft’ stage so this is just a proposal at this stage''

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Ive just have a few quick queries regarding my options for this year. I have completed my four year hons degree in PE from Tralee IT in 2009 and was hoping to complete my H Dip but i want to do it in the UK and im not sure of the closing dates for next septembers H Dip courses in PE. Do you think i would be better to complete my H Dip first or could i get a job in the UK. The degree i have qualifies me to teach in Irish VEC schools but i was wondering would i have a chance of getting employment in the UK with this degree as the job prospects are a lot better. I was working as a sub teacher last year in an irish school for a few months and i would like to continue teaching in the UK but im not sure whether to get the H Dip done first but it might be too late to apply for this year. Also if anyone has any advice for what colleges or areas to study/teach in the UK it would be great to hear

UWIC in Cardiff is good.
    and yes, you probably are too late but sure try anyway.

you need to get on to graduate teacher training registry.
    www.gttr.ac.uk asap

good luck

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

I'm just wondering as I have two primary degrees listed on my application but one of them could be considered a master's degree but I didn't know which it was so I listed it as a second primary degree. Would the panel deem it to be a master's degree even if I hadn't listed it as one? The degree I'm talking about is the CPA Ireland degree http://www.cpaireland.ie/. It's not listed on the NFQ lists but it's equivalents the ICAI and ACCA degrees are listed as Level 9. So I'm hoping that the CPA is accepted as a Level 9 - even though I haven't listed it as a masters as I need the 2 points. Hope ye can understand what I'm getting at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

PeeWe wrote: »
    Hi everyone the offers for TCD came out the 25th and 26th of March last year (ie the Thursday and the Friday of this week!):eek:

Well I hope that's not the case - haven't heard anything yet! Has anyone else?

Will the offers be in the form of a written letter, or via email or other internet notification (ie PAC)? Same for both Trinners and NUI?

ALH-06 wrote: »
    Well I hope that's not the case - haven't heard anything yet! Has anyone else?

Will the offers be in the form of a written letter, or via email or other internet notification (ie PAC)? Same for both Trinners and NUI?

The usual method has been to receive an email telling you that your PAC status has changed (an offer has been made). Bring on Friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lauraSha

I also am waiting to hear back from Trinity so fingers crossed for us both!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mr_october

I'm so tired of waiting at this stage...just want to know! Fingers crossed!!

• Advertisement

Probably seems a bit trivial but anyone know what time offers are issued at on Friday? Maybe someone who has done the PGDE recently can answer. Is it a case of a 9 o'clock email or are they spread out during the day?

Advertisement