Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

auskid wrote: »
    Im only starting the pme this year the college had to defer as us we couldnt find teaching placements..its really hard just to find that....for eg. In ucc pme you go to your placement school monday and friday...on wedenesday ur in college all on tuesday and thursday its school till 1 pm then into ucc for classes in the afternoon...doesnt sound too bad unless you realise that schools on list of placements are in limerick parts of kerry the depths of west cork...they say it has to be within a 30 km radius but with the poor response from teachers within schools to mentor the radius has moved out to about 80 kms in some cases...last year my options were kilmallock and dungarvan...to be in college by 2 o clock...actually impossible....again read back my posts to learn more

There has always been a problem getting a TP school - I only got mine the day before I started my dip :) I think the problem is the length of time for TP especially second year when dip students have 21 or so weeks which is a long time to take off a qualified/experienced teacher. And they now have access to senior years. Remember everyone doing the dip isn't necessarily a good teacher and the schools take great responsibility in giving their students to TP students.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 laser08

Do you not think having a teaching qualification is not a professional qualification? Being an accountant will not serve you any benefits - it may even hinder your chances of employment as you could be classed as 'over qualified'. And do you think that you would be the only teacher who would not have worked in other industries?

No I tidy say that. I said i had a professional qualification in accounting which would be additional to the teaching qualification. Thats my point. And I don't subscribe to that over qualified nonsense. Only a person with notions of themselves would say they are over qualified. If someone really wants a job it can't count against them by having additional qualifications

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

If its not on the 2017 guidelines they wont accept it...its very much based on the degree components...u could be the best accountant in the world with numerous qualifications but they must be level 8 modules from umiversity...professional exams like accountancy dont come into the equation

laser08 wrote: »
    No I tidy say that. I said i had a professional qualification in accounting which would be additional to the teaching qualification. Thats my point. And I don't subscribe to that over qualified nonsense. Only a person with notions of themselves would say they are over qualified. If someone really wants a job it can't count against them by having additional qualifications

You really don't know the politics of teaching especially theETBs who will find every way NOT to give you a job! I have additional qualifications and a member of a professional body but I don't go blowing about them in interviews. You do know that there is a subject expert on most interview boards so going in saying 'I'm a professional accountant' when the subject expert doesn't have those qualifications won't look good for you as it will make you look big headed and superior to them.

If its not on the 2017 guidelines they wont accept it...its very much based on the degree components...u could be the best accountant in the world with numerous qualifications but they must be level 8 modules from umiversity...professional exams like accountancy dont come into the equation

• Advertisement

Exactly.

Also subjects on the unwritten curriculum help....ie PULL and the GAAAAA!!!!😋

I never said that I would use it to cover off subjects. Was only asking if it would count for anything and it's good to hear that it wouldn't.

Im only starting the pme this year the college had to defer as us we couldnt find teaching placements..its really hard just to find that....for eg. In ucc pme you go to your placement school monday and friday...on wedenesday ur in college all on tuesday and thursday its school till 1 pm then into ucc for classes in the afternoon...doesnt sound too bad unless you realise that schools on list of placements are in limerick parts of kerry the depths of west cork...they say it has to be within a 30 km radius but with the poor response from teachers within schools to mentor the radius has moved out to about 80 kms in some cases...last year my options were kilmallock and dungarvan...to be in college by 2 o clock...actually impossible....again read back my posts to learn more

Auskid, just wondering why you are doing the PME if you think it's pretty much impossible to get a career in teaching?

In ireland maybe...but as i said ...other factors ie pull can come into it...but to answer your question i,ll be heading across the water to settle down or maybe even back to melbourne where i have citizenship

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Hi guys

I am a qualified accountant who does not see a future for me in accountancy as a career. I would love to do teaching and I am seriously considering applying for the Hibernia course. I know the situation in relation to jobs for business graduates is poor but just how bad is the job situation and what are the chances of finding employment post qualification. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi laser, I'd echo what others have said in the forum. There are a crazy number of unemployed business teachers in Ireland at the moment. Most business teachers would have a business degree of some sort and a teaching degree so that would not be an advantage.
    I'm an NQT science teacher but I have a lot of friends who are doing the PME in business teaching at the moment and a few have finished Hibernia and there is very little work coming to them. Some are getting subbing work and a few are working in Youthreach and FE but very little in mainstream school.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Has anyone heard from PAC today? Thought they'd have made contact by now.

Edit: never mind, just saw on their site that offers are out Monday at 11:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

Anyone that applied for PME Primary heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im applied to do the PME so hopefully I get it. I have history and Geograpghy mad over subscribed i know but its what i want to do. im single and part time farmer so i could prob get by for a few years on part time work, adult ed, youth reach or anythiing i can get.

hopefully i might travel to australia on a three month visa or maybe a longer stay if i can get work teaching out there, i would also maybe try dubai, but to be honest with the farm its prob a non runner. my old school are letting me do TP in second year and i have a few irons in the fire for this year. but it really is all about the PULL you have, GAA have helped me a bit and the farming has actually been a big help as well as one of the principles is also a part time farmer and said he would definitly try and help me.

id advise anyone trying to get schools to scour every alley way you know and every route into principles and vice principles, i went through neighbours, the caretaker, my local pub owner even put a word in with his brother whos a VP and i got to chat him and it went well, you really need to be a politican. i lookat others who are doing the PME and to be honest i dont think the have it in them to even hold an adult conversation let alone play the game with all these different personalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 FlowerPower1

Dickie10 wrote: »
    im applied to do the PME so hopefully I get it. I have history and Geograpghy mad over subscribed i know but its what i want to do. im single and part time farmer so i could prob get by for a few years on part time work, adult ed, youth reach or anythiing i can get.

hopefully i might travel to australia on a three month visa or maybe a longer stay if i can get work teaching out there, i would also maybe try dubai, but to be honest with the farm its prob a non runner. my old school are letting me do TP in second year and i have a few irons in the fire for this year. but it really is all about the PULL you have, GAA have helped me a bit and the farming has actually been a big help as well as one of the principles is also a part time farmer and said he would definitly try and help me.

id advise anyone trying to get schools to scour every alley way you know and every route into principles and vice principles, i went through neighbours, the caretaker, my local pub owner even put a word in with his brother whos a VP and i got to chat him and it went well, you really need to be a politican. i lookat others who are doing the PME and to be honest i dont think the have it in them to even hold an adult conversation let alone play the game with all these different personalities.

I think you mean PrinciPAL. If you want to be a good teacher, lead by example and demonstrate good grammar and spelling to your pupils. I would prefer someone doing this teaching my child than someone who can shmooze with whoever he can get in with. That's nepotism. Whoever has the qualifications, experience and expertise gets the job for me.

I think you mean PrinciPAL. If you want to be a good teacher, lead by example and demonstrate good grammar and spelling to your pupils. I would prefer someone doing this teaching my child than someone who can shmooze with whoever he can get in with. That's nepotism. Whoever has the qualifications, experience and expertise gets the job for me.

In all fairness, it's not fair to judge someone's grammar in a casual online forum and relate it to their performance as a teacher :o

As for nepotism, it's present in all walks of life and teaching is no exception. Unfortunately it means that it's not always a level playing field for applicants to a job, but I'd imagine 90% of us have benefited from it at one time or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

In all fairness, it's not fair to judge someone's grammar in a casual online forum and relate it to their performance as a teacher :o

As for nepotism, it's present in all walks of life and teaching is no exception. Unfortunately it means that it's not always a level playing field for applicants to a job, but I'd imagine 90% of us have benefited from it at one time or another.

A teacher without good English directly relates to their performance, unless they're teaching in a Gaelcholáiste. I have never benefited from nepotism, and two wrongs don't make a right. What about the 10% (according to your figures) that haven't benefited? How is this anyway fair?

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    A teacher without good English directly relates to their performance, unless they're teaching in a Gaelcholáiste. I have never benefited from nepotism, and two wrongs don't make a right. What about the 10% (according to your figures) that haven't benefited? How is this anyway fair?

Of course English relates to performance. However, a post here on Boards.ie is not always a fair measure of someones competency as it's a completely casual platform where there's generally no need to strictly mind your P's and Q's. Of course it's a different story on a CV or application form however, or indeed in the classroom itself.

I never said nepotism was fair? I said it is prevalent, quite common and something which we are unlikely to ever be rid of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

OK OK Boards 101, read the charter regarding pointing out smelling pistakes.
    Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9 adelicaaa

Hi guys

I am a qualified accountant who does not see a future for me in accountancy as a career. I would love to do teaching and I am seriously considering applying for the Hibernia course. I know the situation in relation to jobs for business graduates is poor but just how bad is the job situation and what are the chances of finding employment post qualification. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I just had to stick my nose in here after seeing all the negative response your post drew. Having worked your way up to a qualified accountant I don't see why you would have any reason to believe that you couldn't come out of the PME with a top qualification also. You'll have more life and work experience than many applicants, will interview well and stand out from the crowd.

Bottom line is if you're not happy working in your current job you're perfectly entitled to switch careers provided you're aware of the risks. I quit my permanent job in finance four years ago to become a teacher and I don't regret it for a second. Sure my income is lower and less stable right now as I work through college but I'm single and childless and I can handle it frankly in order to be happy with my career.

I love teaching and I make plenty right now doing grinds for my subject. It it's difficult for me to find permanent work in the first 10 years i'll still be better off than I was working in finance. Go for it, do what you want and don't mind all the miserable nay sayers on here.

• Advertisement

adelicaaa wrote: »
    Hi, I just had to stick my nose in here after seeing all the negative response your post drew. Having worked your way up to a qualified accountant I don't see why you would have any reason to believe that you couldn't come out of the PME with a top qualification also. You'll have more life and work experience than many applicants, will interview well and stand out from the crowd.

Yes but that won't be teaching experience which is not relevant to an interview board. A person who has a business degree and PME with some teaching experience will be looked at more favourably than someone coming from industry. Just because you are more qualified, doesn't make you a good teacher.
    Bottom line is if you're not happy working in your current job you're perfectly entitled to switch careers provided you're aware of the risks. I quit my permanent job in finance four years ago to become a teacher and I don't regret it for a second. Sure my income is lower and less stable right now as I work through college but I'm single and childless and I can handle it frankly in order to be happy with my career.

Yes everyone is entitled to do what he/she wants to do but the person was asking people in the industry what the job situation is for business/accounting teachers is and he/she got it. There's no point saying 'Ah yeah go for it, you'll get a job no bother!'. Spending e12000+ on something that won't see a return for many years.

Fair play to you, you took the risk - how did it work out for you? What's your situation now? Were you one of the lucky ones who got a RPT and now have a CID? I doubt it.
    I love teaching and I make plenty right now doing grinds for my subject. It it's difficult for me to find permanent work in the first 10 years i'll still be better off than I was working in finance. Go for it, do what you want and don't mind all the miserable nay sayers on here.

Yes teaching is a great but a demanding career - I love every day. I wouldn't call the people miserable nay sayers just because we gave our experiences with the dip/finding work. It's always better to know the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 FlowerPower1

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    OK OK Boards 101, read the charter regarding pointing out smelling pistakes.
    Mod

Ok, I'm sorry but if anything I was doing the poster a favour. We had lectures on professional development in college and we were warned if we spelled the word 'Principal' wrong on the envelope applying for jobs, the CV would be sent straight to the shredder. Apparently it's crazy the amount of teachers who spell Principal wrong in context which is sad really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ok, I'm sorry but if anything I was doing the poster a favour. We had lectures on professional development in college and we were warned if we spelled the word 'Principal' wrong on the envelope applying for jobs, the CV would be sent straight to the shredder.

No worries..
    But.
    Boards 102 as per charter, don't comment on mod postings (they're the ones in Bold usually) as it disrupts the flow of the thread and encourages tit-for-tat off topic banter etc..
    .like this..

Apparently it's crazy the :eek:amount of teachers:eek: who spell Principal wrong in context which is sad really!

Hows the placement rush going for people...interestingly enough ive had two calls in one day from schools but had to turn them down as i had my place sorted..it would be interesting to hear others experiences on the placement procedure at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Claudia12

In a pickle if anyone has some advice,

I have just been offered a place with the PME and I am honestly in shock (no experience, just finishing off my undergrad, only 1 subject ) I really didn't think I would get a place and am over joyed that I have. My dilemma now is I have no clue where I should start. After reading all of these posts school placement seems the safest option, after that I have no idea what to do. For instance, other than my cv and a cover letter, is there anything else I should bring to a school or e-mail them for placement? Sorry if this has been answered already but I am mid-crisis and have no idea where to go from here, being accepted was a complete surprise!

Thanks in advance!

Whats your subject...is it that big a surprise ..you applied for it...the amount of subjects you can teach does not come into the offer...its your college results.

Whats your subject...is it that big a surprise ..you applied for it...the amount of subjects you can teach does not come into the offer...its your college results.

History :) Yes! For me anyway, I applied thinking it would be a cold day in hell if I got any word back and had put it out of my head since applying to try and avoid the disappointment :P

What college..the pme structure differs...ie in ucg the placement is done in blocks...in ucc its 4 half days per week..are you a mature or traditional student.

NUIG and traditional. I'm looking through stuff now and I can't seem to remember where I read it but for the one in NUIG, is there observation in a primary school at some stage (For the post-primary ST) I think the excitement of the day has frazzled my brain for details.

• Advertisement

Claudia12 wrote: »
    NUIG and traditional. I'm looking through stuff now and I can't seem to remember where I read it but for the one in NUIG, is there observation in a primary school at some stage (For the post-primary ST) I think the excitement of the day has frazzled my brain for details.

Here's NUIG's timetable for us who're in the 2016 intake. Doesn't go in to the nitty-gritty details but it's handy to start off with a vague idea :)

I've got a secondary school provisionally sorted for placement, but I'll be ringing the Education office in Galway to get more details before I finalize anything. Exciting times :)

Advertisement