Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

This is my two cents and please I do not want to wreck your day but I am just telling you from my own experience what I would do.
    I applied last year with one subject and got the place on the course. I failed to secure placement because of only having one subject. I think between 20 and 30 candidates suffered the same fate in U.C.C. Schools find it hard to allocate 8 hours of teaching per week to you with one subject, they prefer if it's split between two in whatever way 4-4 5-3 6-2 whatever. The majority of candidates that this happened to have returned to do a one year hdip in an academic subject in U.C.C in History English Geography or R.E. If your willing to sacrifice a college year this would be my advice and do the hdip. It will be near impossible to get a job with one subject after the P.M.E anyway, if you doubt me read back through this thread to see peoples experiences.Either now or later you will need another subject. If you are on any grant the hdip is a qualified course even though its level 8 and not progression as such SUSI still maintain it as so.So if you decide to do a hdip after the P.M.E it wont be covered. This is honest information and from my own experience and with the most honest of intentions from my part, not trying to put your success down. Also the Hdip will give you an extra 2 points in the P.M.E application process next year practically guaranteeing you a place again.

If your adamant on doing it this year go to see the career guidance department at the college. The C.V is vital and must be correct. I thought I had a great C.V as I am 34 and have a lot of different experience both academic, employment history and extra curricular , but the career guidance officer in the college really focused my C.V by focusing my skills to the teaching profession. Also run the Hdip idea across her I bet she agrees with what I said. Well done on your place but now is the time to think hard and get your cards in row...dont put the cart before the horse...a P.M.E is useless if your going to struggle to get employment afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Claudia12

Oh no I really appreciate the help, I want all the advice I can get! I completely understand that, the only thing I've been keeping in mind is it may be better for me financially to do the PME now and then the HDip for another subject after I've qualified and registered etc. (Of course that's if I can get that far)

Yes you could do that but will you really...its hard to go back into 1st, 2nd and 3rd year classes after completing your degree (I saw a coke bottle fly across one of my classes this year)...imagine what it will be like after you finish your masters...you can take it to the bank, you cannot teach without a second subject..its only a matter of time before the P.M.E will state this remember they are still ironing out the creases..they have stopped people applying with just C.S.P.E this year in U.C.C and they accepted them last year. I know acouple of people doing the P.M.E with just C.S.P.E. As I am currently on the Hdip (and its horrible, like another year of undergrad) the thoughts of doing this after the PME to me would be soul destroying a real step backwards, also the Hdips are fairly full on (14 modules) with a lot of backlog on assignment dates, I had 7 assignments due on one Friday but that was an extreme case. I would go and get your C.V sorted definately and go to schools but i'd imagine you will struggle with one subject to get a placement but then again you could be lucky. However be aware, a school could use you for the year and let you off, your then in the P.M.E with one subject. I know someone who is really regretting this as the rushed out and got a place, having a poor experience in the school and is basically being used as cover, now they wont qualify for grant for Hdip as they will have progressed to level 9. There's still lots of positives to take , you got the place, you obviously got good college scores, the hdip will improve this further and what another college year really...definately progress with the placement chase now anyway, it will give you a distinct advantage on next year if you decide to do the Hdip. Also Most colleges accept Hdip applications into August so there's no rush with that...see how you get on with the placements etc and seek plenty of advice from teachers, on here (sift through the begrudger's) and your college career guidance department

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ClareMongan

I've been offered a place on the P.M.E in Trinity and UCD for business and Spanish, I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback on which one they would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 laser08

adelicaaa wrote: »
    Hi, I just had to stick my nose in here after seeing all the negative response your post drew. Having worked your way up to a qualified accountant I don't see why you would have any reason to believe that you couldn't come out of the PME with a top qualification also. You'll have more life and work experience than many applicants, will interview well and stand out from the crowd.

Bottom line is if you're not happy working in your current job you're perfectly entitled to switch careers provided you're aware of the risks. I quit my permanent job in finance four years ago to become a teacher and I don't regret it for a second. Sure my income is lower and less stable right now as I work through college but I'm single and childless and I can handle it frankly in order to be happy with my career.

I love teaching and I make plenty right now doing grinds for my subject. It it's difficult for me to find permanent work in the first 10 years i'll still be better off than I was working in finance. Go for it, do what you want and don't mind all the miserable nay sayers on here.

Thanks for the positive response! How do you mean you work through college? Do you have a job in a college or what's your current job situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 adelicaaa

laser08 wrote: »
    How do you mean you work through college? Do you have a job in a college or what's your current job situation?

Well I meant 'working my way through college' but as for my current situation: While I was doing my degree I initially got part-time evening work in a call centre but in second year I started advertising grinds in my subjects online and within a few months I was making enough to quit the part-time job. The grinds take a lot of time initially as you plan for them and learn the curriculum but it really pays off after a while.

This week I've been looking for a school to do my first year's teaching practice in and I have had a really positive response. I put this down to my grinds experience and my background in finance. My age and experience obviously makes me stand out from other candidates as of course it would.

I recommend you get to know the curriculum for your subject and attempt grinds in the next year before you start college. Then you can show in interviews how you're accounting experience has helped you in your teaching and that you are taking your teaching career seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BonCourage

I've been offered a place on the P.M.E in Trinity and UCD for business and Spanish, I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback on which one they would recommend?

Im the same for Irish and music! So torn, they're both seem pretty good! I just prefer the way that TCD is layed out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

would there be much demand for grinds in history and geograpghy?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BonCourage

Dickie10 wrote: »

Hey, one of my friends is trying to give grinds in both these subjects at the moment! And it's not going great for him. I think they're two quite manageable subjects, it's subjects like languages and maths/ science that grinds are most popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I'm trying to dissuade somebody from giving up a well-paid job to become a primary school teacher to no avail thus far. I note the deadline for Pat's, Marino and Maynooth for starting the primary PME in September 2016 was 11 March 2016.

Other than Hibernia, is there any late application deadline for any primary course or has she missed the boat for Sept 2016 entry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Hey guys, have a small problem that I need some help with regarding my fee status.

Basically I want to do a one year PGDE course in the UK, possibly Scotland, starting in mid 2017. However I've been living/working/teaching English in Singapore since early 2013. I contacted the University of Edinburgh regarding my fee status and they sent me a generic reply with the following link.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Scotland-fee-status#layer-3349

Now I don't entirely understand what is stated in the above, but it seems to state that because I haven't lived in the EU for the past three years I would be charged as an 'overseas student' in a Scottish university (I would guess its the same situation in the UK) and not as an EU national?

Am I reading this correctly? Is there anyway around this, if true? Can I ask what kind of proof of residency they are likely to ask for if I apply for a PGDE in one of these universities?

Thanks for any help.

Also I notice that universities in the Republic off a PDE, not a PGDE? Or they equivalent qualifications? Is the PDE in somewhere like UCD internationally recognised?

adelicaaa wrote: »
    Well I meant 'working my way through college' but as for my current situation: While I was doing my degree I initially got part-time evening work in a call centre but in second year I started advertising grinds in my subjects online and within a few months I was making enough to quit the part-time job. The grinds take a lot of time initially as you plan for them and learn the curriculum but it really pays off after a while.

This week I've been looking for a school to do my first year's teaching practice in and I have had a really positive response. I put this down to my grinds experience and my background in finance. My age and experience obviously makes me stand out from other candidates as of course it would.

I recommend you get to know the curriculum for your subject and attempt grinds in the next year before you start college. Then you can show in interviews how you're accounting experience has helped you in your teaching and that you are taking your teaching career seriously.

Thanks for the response! What subjects are you qualified to teach. Good luck with the placement search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 charls7

Anyone else finding it difficult to secure placement? I've tried a lot of schools already, with most telling me they've already met their quota for tp students and others putting me on a waiting list.

So it seems like in Ireland the only option for secondary school teaching is the two year PME? No PGCE course or equivalent?

Orizio wrote: »
    So it seems like in Ireland the only option for secondary school teaching is the two year PME? No PGCE course or equivalent?

Yeah that's all. They scrapped the 1 year h dip a few years ago and replaced it with a two year PME

anyone know or remeber the format of the old H Dip? How did they squeeze everything into 1 year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

anyone know or remeber the format of the old H Dip? How did they squeeze everything into 1 year?

There was less teaching practice/observation and we didn't have a thesis/exams.

charls7 wrote: »
    Anyone else finding it difficult to secure placement? I've tried a lot of schools already, with most telling me they've already met their quota for tp students and others putting me on a waiting list.

I sent out emails with CV and cover letter to all the schools within a 50 min drive of UCC last week. Got call backs for interviews/meetings from about 15 schools (mostly further away ones: Bandon, Mallow etc. but about 5 from Cork city) so it doesn't seem too bad here. I'm almost confirmed with a city school now though so I'm happy.

laser08 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response! What subjects are you qualified to teach. Good luck with the placement search.

Geography and Maths.

In the beginning I advertised for grinds in both/either but only ever had uptake on Maths. After a year or so I had so many notes and lesson plans prepared for my Maths grinds it seemed easier to stick with Maths so I dropped Geography from the ads.

Never have any issues getting students for Maths grinds though thankfully. Eventually I run out of time to fit everyone so I usually have to turn down a lot of work especially in September (New School Year), January (Christmas Results), March (Mocks Results) and May (Exam Panic!).

• Advertisement

Advertised Geography grinds for a year or so but never had any joy getting students. Much better luck with Maths.

Thanks laser for the reply.
    Orizio wrote: »
    Hey guys, have a small problem that I need some help with regarding my fee status.

Basically I want to do a one year PGDE course in the UK, possibly Scotland, starting in mid 2017. However I've been living/working/teaching English in Singapore since early 2013. I contacted the University of Edinburgh regarding my fee status and they sent me a generic reply with the following link.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Scotland-fee-status#layer-3349

Now I don't entirely understand what is stated in the above, but it seems to state that because I haven't lived in the EU for the past three years I would be charged as an 'overseas student' in a Scottish university (I would guess its the same situation in the UK) and not as an EU national?

Am I reading this correctly? Is there anyway around this, if true? Can I ask what kind of proof of residency they are likely to ask for if I apply for a PGDE in one of these universities?

Thanks for any help.

Any help here from anyone?

auskid wrote: »
    This is my two cents and please I do not want to wreck your day but I am just telling you from my own experience what I would do.
    I applied last year with one subject and got the place on the course. I failed to secure placement because of only having one subject. I think between 20 and 30 candidates suffered the same fate in U.C.C. Schools find it hard to allocate 8 hours of teaching per week to you with one subject, they prefer if it's split between two in whatever way 4-4 5-3 6-2 whatever. The majority of candidates that this happened to have returned to do a one year hdip in an academic subject in U.C.C in History English Geography or R.E. If your willing to sacrifice a college year this would be my advice and do the hdip. It will be near impossible to get a job with one subject after the P.M.E anyway, if you doubt me read back through this thread to see peoples experiences.Either now or later you will need another subject. If you are on any grant the hdip is a qualified course even though its level 8 and not progression as such SUSI still maintain it as so.So if you decide to do a hdip after the P.M.E it wont be covered. This is honest information and from my own experience and with the most honest of intentions from my part, not trying to put your success down. Also the Hdip will give you an extra 2 points in the P.M.E application process next year practically guaranteeing you a place again.

If your adamant on doing it this year go to see the career guidance department at the college. The C.V is vital and must be correct. I thought I had a great C.V as I am 34 and have a lot of different experience both academic, employment history and extra curricular , but the career guidance officer in the college really focused my C.V by focusing my skills to the teaching profession. Also run the Hdip idea across her I bet she agrees with what I said. Well done on your place but now is the time to think hard and get your cards in row...dont put the cart before the horse...a P.M.E is useless if your going to struggle to get employment afterwards.

Thanks for this informative post. Any reason why you wouldn't do the H.Dip then do a PGCE in the UK?

None at all...go for it...i have heard rumours that funding is easier to get in england...also there are adds on tv at the moment with all sorts of incentives to get people into the profession...also bank of ireland are doing post grad loans...8000 over 5 years with 1st 2 years payments deferred basically leaving you with no repayments until your qualified...you need a blood relative gurantoor though..neither of you have to be a boi customer aswell..just another option for you.

Apologies just read back your other posts...i too had that issue with being out of the eu for two years....thats a sticky one...even when i came back to ireland i had to go through a process similar to refugees...i know insane...had to jump through a lot of hoops as to why i was in ireland...even though i had lived the first 25 years of my life here and my family are all still here...i lost my no claims bonus aswell for insurance...nuts but true....i dont know how it would work out in the uk doing this id imagine youll have to come home to sort this first...be aware also to apply for any grants you must be resident in europe at least 3 of the previous 5 years..so again your situation is a funny one...its easier to aahheeemmm bend rules when your irish in ireland if you get where im coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Has anyone who accepted a place in Galway been sent out a vetting form? All the sources I've seen say that the college send it out once you accept an offer, but I've got nothing as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 charls7

Has anyone who accepted a place in Galway been sent out a vetting form? All the sources I've seen say that the college send it out once you accept an offer, but I've got nothing as of yet.

Nope not yet, they're due to be sent via email on Wednesday 4th of May according to their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

charls7 wrote: »
    Nope not yet, they're due to be sent via email on Wednesday 4th of May according to their website.

I hadn't seen that! Thanks a million :)

when do i send in my exam results to Galway, got my place last week in NUI Maynooth, i graduated last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Dog95

Has anyone got any idea when the second round of offers for the PME might be? I got offered a place at UCD but just missed out on a place for my preferred choice at NUIM by 1% and hoping it might go down slightly with the second round.

Advertisement