Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

Does anyone else feel nervous about their subject knowledge? Although I have a degree in the subjects I feel like I don't actually know all too much related to the LC as it's all very different. I have a friend who is starting who feels the same.

I almost feel like I'm going to be learning some stuff just before I teach it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

Dylan94 wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel nervous about their subject knowledge? Although I have a degree in the subjects I feel like I don't actually know all too much related to the LC as it's all very different. I have a friend who is starting who feels the same.

I almost feel like I'm going to be learning some stuff just before I teach it :/

You should be fine. Just make sure you have your lesson objectives well rehearsed before hand to avoid confusing the kids.

If your a dip student, it is rare you'll be given senior cycle classes. It'll most likely be 1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

It might help to download some papers, do them and correct with marking schemes. Your knowledge will come with teaching practice / subject methodologies. It is important to look at the papers in your subject every year because you can be asked in interview what this years paper was like.

You should be fine. Just make sure you have your lesson objectives well rehearsed before hand to avoid confusing the kids.

If your a dip student, it is rare you'll be given senior cycle classes. It'll most likely be 1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd.

I think that changed with the PME, the second year dips took fifth years in the school I worked in this year. I think it is a good idea because you don't get to experience senior classes until you graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

I think that changed with the PME, the second year dips took fifth years in the school I worked in this year. I think it is a good idea because you don't get to experience senior classes until you graduate.

Even so, preparation is key. A dip student should be well capable to handle the content of a 5th year course.

You could take the man off the street and he'd be able to do the same.

Your doing your teacher training to learn how to teach, not what to teach - if you get me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

If you do a 4 year concurrent degree most people would be given a senior class in their 'dip year'. Sure you learn as you go but should be able to handle it. I think all student teachers should be given some experience in teaching senior classes. If they don't, they may find they are at a disadvantage once they graduate and are looking for a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Its totally normal to have to learn things before you teach it. You could be doing that for years until you've taught the topics a few times. Preparation is key. Once you prepare well and are familiar with the subject knowledge before you go in to teach it you can't go wrong.
    But just remember it is very normal to have to revise something before teaching it, especially for new teachers. I certainly have to do it.

Even so, preparation is key. A dip student should be well capable to handle the content of a 5th year course.

You could take the man off the street and he'd be able to do the same.

Your doing your teacher training to learn how to teach, not what to teach - if you get me?

Totally agree that preparation is key. It can stressful for a new teacher to take on a senior class because you are teaching them in preparation for their leaving but once you decide the topic and decide how you're going to do it, the process gets a lot easier. The point I'm making though is that when I did my dip, our class were not allowed to teach senior classes except TY and then I started teaching and get a Higher Level Leaving Cert class with no experience. Now I must say it was the best that could happen but I wish I had a little bit of experience during the dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone hear from their school in regard to going in for the new year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Dickie10 wrote: »
    anyone hear from their school in regard to going in for the new year?
    Every school will have released this information by now. A lot are starting Thursday. Some not until Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Hi everyone,

Mods please remove this if its not appropriate.

I have a range of teaching books as in university books for writing assignments, thesis, etc. all based on education, teaching, planning, etc.

I found them really helpful throughout my PDE as I didn't have to go to the library at all really as I used these and downloaded journal articles.

Here they are:
    <snip>

Please use adverts.ie to sell these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I have my placement tutor coming in on Monday and its only my second time with the class, this will be the first history class they have me for so I will only be introducing new material to them. Is this very quick for one of my tutor inspections? Also can anyone tell me should I use the projector for slides for the first few classes? I am thinking of keeping the technology out of the class that the tutor will be in as it will take too long to set up as im not 100 % on the passwords and rigmarole surrounding the computers, I need a dry run or two in my classrooms with the tech before I use them. Would old fashioned chalk and talk be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Hi folks. I have a friend who is interested in becoming a teacher at the ripe old age of 36. They have two options, one is to do a masters in Spanish plus the h dip and the other is to pursue primary teaching through I don't know what qualifications. Option 1 would see them offering history and Spanish as subjects and would take 3 years in all (2 for h dip) while option 2 I think would take 2 yeArs.

Is there demand for teachers that offer both history and Spanish? Or is Spanish just not that common in Ireland?

I've heard primary teaching is quite oversubscribed. Would it be difficult to find work in this area?

Finally, with the h dip now taking 2 yeArs can an equivalent qualification be gained up north in 1 year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Totally agree that preparation is key. It can stressful for a new teacher to take on a senior class because you are teaching them in preparation for their leaving but once you decide the topic and decide how you're going to do it, the process gets a lot easier. The point I'm making though is that when I did my dip, our class were not allowed to teach senior classes except TY and then I started teaching and get a Higher Level Leaving Cert class with no experience. Now I must say it was the best that could happen but I wish I had a little bit of experience during the dip.

If the school is any way decent and they don't want to allocate a full week of one class they can give at least one class to the 'dip' and the rest to the cooperating teacher. That way there's a bit of mentoring and continuity young on.

Sometimes the exam years are the easiest to teach as they are more focused on the exam, where as 1st, 2nd and TY you would be doing more expiratory of new concepts with all the bells and whistles associated. With the 3Rd and 6th you gotta be pretty clued in with the marking scheme etc.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    If the school is any way decent and they don't want to allocate a full week of one class they can give at least one class to the 'dip' and the rest to the cooperating teacher. That way there's a bit of mentoring and continuity young on.

Sometimes the exam years are the easiest to teach as they are more focused on the exam, where as 1st, 2nd and TY you would be doing more expiratory of new concepts with all the bells and whistles associated. With the 3Rd and 6th you gotta be pretty clued in with the marking scheme etc.

It wasn't the schools choice - we were strictly not allowed to teach a senior class - it was stated in handbook. Things have changed since I did my dip.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    I have my placement tutor coming in on Monday and its only my second time with the class, this will be the first history class they have me for so I will only be introducing new material to them. Is this very quick for one of my tutor inspections? Also can anyone tell me should I use the projector for slides for the first few classes? I am thinking of keeping the technology out of the class that the tutor will be in as it will take too long to set up as im not 100 % on the passwords and rigmarole surrounding the computers, I need a dry run or two in my classrooms with the tech before I use them. Would old fashioned chalk and talk be ok?

Tutors can arrive at any time during TP.

Yes, if the content would be better on a presentation / can be summarised / pictures. I would use it for learning outcomes. I would make use of the IT at some stage because its all the rage now and you would probably be marked down for not using it. Ask the classroom teacher to log you on / get your own log on / password or just use your own laptop.

Chalk and talk (although still used) is out dated - you need peer work / questioning / self assessment etc. Check out AFL techniques. Good luck with inspection.

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Hi folks. I have a friend who is interested in becoming a teacher at the ripe old age of 36. They have two options, one is to do a masters in Spanish plus the h dip and the other is to pursue primary teaching through I don't know what qualifications. Option 1 would see them offering history and Spanish as subjects and would take 3 years in all (2 for h dip) while option 2 I think would take 2 yeArs.

Is there demand for teachers that offer both history and Spanish? Or is Spanish just not that common in Ireland?

I've heard primary teaching is quite oversubscribed. Would it be difficult to find work in this area?

Finally, with the h dip now taking 2 yeArs can an equivalent qualification be gained up north in 1 year?

Why do a masters in Spanish? Does your friend have a degree that is recognised by the Teaching Council. Teaching Council don't recognise masters (except pme obviously) for teaching. Have you checked the requirements to teach both of these subjects?

There is no demand for history teachers but having a language is a good subject to have - have one myself and have never been out of work for long.

It's difficult to find work everywhere. I'm not familiar with primary sector recruitment but I think a teacher has to build up a number of hours to be put on a panel.

I don't know the answer to your final question - contact Teaching Council. Just remember that if completing dip outside of Ireland, you need to sit a history of education exam and if primary teaching - you need at least a C3 in higher level Irish. You also have to pass an oral Irish exam.

Hope this helps.

Why do a masters in Spanish? Does your friend have a degree that is recognised by the Teaching Council. Teaching Council don't recognise masters (except pme obviously) for teaching. Have you checked the requirements to teach both of these subjects?

There is no demand for history teachers but having a language is a good subject to have - have one myself and have never been out of work for long.

It's difficult to find work everywhere. I'm not familiar with primary sector recruitment but I think a teacher has to build up a number of hours to be put on a panel.

I don't know the answer to your final question - contact Teaching Council. Just remember that if completing dip outside of Ireland, you need to sit a history of education exam and if primary teaching - you need at least a C3 in higher level Irish. You also have to pass an oral Irish exam.

Hope this helps.

Merci,

The masters is to have a proper qualification so she can add Spanish though she is fluent from living there. I think Spanish might have been a part of her degree. She already has a degree In history. This year she is doing the c3 and working her normal job and next year will quit and either do 2 years Hibernia for primary or Spanish plus pgce up north. If she does it down here that adds an extra year. Tbh she would prefer to go into secondary teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Merci,

The masters is to have a proper qualification so she can add Spanish though she is fluent from living there. I think Spanish might have been a part of her degree. She already has a degree In history. This year she is doing the c3 and working her normal job and next year will quit and either do 2 years Hibernia for primary or Spanish plus pgce up north. If she does it down here that adds an extra year. Tbh she would prefer to go into secondary teaching.

Hola. If your friend is looking at teaching Spanish, I wouldnt recommend a Masters in Hispanic Studies. Her best bet would be to do a Hdip in Arts (Spanish) such as this one in Cork for a year. http://www.ucc.ie/en/cka15/. Maynooth offer the same thing, I think. It's a year of taking credits in the major language modules plus an elective from the second and third year of the language degree which should suit as the friend has lived in Spain.

Best of luck. I'm debating a move into secondary language teaching myself, though I have a undergraduate degree in French and Spanish and lived in France teaching English to French teenagers (loved it despite their moodiness :pac:). I've been looking at Hibernia too and doing Languages with CSPE (as both my subjects would entail the same pedagogy, so I would need to make up the credits). But I had a look at the Teaching Council circular info and I see that I wouldn't necessarily qualify to teach CSPE despite what the Hibernia College Sales lady who was 'following up' said.

Are there any language teachers who have studied Modern Language Pedagogy in Hibernia? I have mixed feelings now after their hard sell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Merci,

Hola. If your friend is looking at teaching Spanish, I wouldnt recommend a Masters in Hispanic Studies. Her best bet would be to do a Hdip in Arts (Spanish) such as this one in Cork for a year. http://www.ucc.ie/en/cka15/. Maynooth offer the same thing, I think. It's a year of taking credits in the major language modules plus an elective from the second and third year of the language degree which should suit as the friend has lived in Spain.

Best of luck. I'm debating a move into secondary language teaching myself, though I have a undergraduate degree in French and Spanish and lived in France teaching English to French teenagers (loved it despite their moodiness :pac:). I've been looking at Hibernia too and doing Languages with CSPE (as both my subjects would entail the same pedagogy, so I would need to make up the credits). But I had a look at the Teaching Council circular info and I see that I wouldn't necessarily qualify to teach CSPE despite what the Hibernia College Sales lady who was 'following up' said.

Are there any language teachers who have studied Modern Language Pedagogy in Hibernia? I have mixed feelings now after their hard sell

CSPE won't be a subject from next year so I wouldn't bother with it.

• Advertisement

Interesting. I find it really difficult to be clear on what is necessary to qualify. My friend has a history degree for which 40 credits were in Spanish plus she lived in Spain too. She definitely has enough to teach history but does that work for Spanish? The teaching council website appears to suggest that Spanish needs to have been 30% or 60 ects credits as part of a degree of at least 3 years. I'd like to think she just needed to make up the 20 credit shortfall for Spanish but does it work like that?

Anybody here in the know on these things?

Interesting. I find it really difficult to be clear on what is necessary to qualify. My friend has a history degree for which 40 credits were in Spanish plus she lived in Spain too. She definitely has enough to teach history but does that work for Spanish? The teaching council website appears to suggest that Spanish needs to have been 30% or 60 ects credits as part of a degree of at least 3 years. I'd like to think she just needed to make up the 20 credit shortfall for Spanish but does it work like that?

Anybody here in the know on these things?

Yes she would need 60 credits as far as I know spread between language and literature modules. On the Teaching Council, this link explains it: http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Publications/Registration/Documents/Curricular-Subject-Requirments-after-January-20171.pdf
    (c) The qualifying degree must carry at least 180 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System)
    credits (or equivalent) with the specific study of Spanish comprising at least 60 ECTS
    credits (or equivalent) and with not less than 10 ECTS credits (or equivalent) studied at
    third-year level or higher (or modular equivalent)

That part is a little confusing to me. I think it means the likes of say a semester of Spanish you did in first year of an arts degree wouldn't qualify you to teach the subject.
    The study of Spanish during the degree must show that the holder has acquired sufficient
    knowledge, skills and understanding to teach the Spanish syllabus 2 to the highest level in postprimary
    education (see www.curriculumonline.ie). To meet this requirement the degree must
    include:
    (a) Spanish Language Studies
    and
    (b) Spanish Literature
    The degree must incorporate the study of Literature through the medium of Spanish,
    comprising at least 15 ECTS credits. The study of Literature should incorporate the study of at
    least two of the following areas:
    i. Drama
    ii. Poetry
    iii. Fiction
    iv. Media/Film Studies or Communications
    v. History of Ideas (Philosophical works in Spanish).

Hope that helps

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

But I had a look at the Teaching Council circular info and I see that I wouldn't necessarily qualify to teach CSPE despite what the Hibernia College Sales lady who was 'following up' said.

No, you won't be qualified if you do the methodology course. AFAIK it's a sociology degree that qualifies you for CSPE. No one in my school is qualified for CSPE and a lot of us teach it. But you might as well do it as you have to do something to make up the credits. I found the active methodologies in that useful for my languages. I translated a few like having a certain amount of money and they have to decide what to buy to build a village kind of thing interesting for my Irish class.
    Interesting. I find it really difficult to be clear on what is necessary to qualify.

You need credits from an undergraduate degree. Unless things have changed in the last 3-4 years, the modules you take at masters level don't count. Tell her to be very careful of what she picks before starting. I know that HDip in Spanish linked to above is ok.

dory wrote: »
    No, you won't be qualified if you do the methodology course. AFAIK it's a sociology degree that qualifies you for CSPE. No one in my school is qualified for CSPE and a lot of us teach it. But you might as well do it as you have to do something to make up the credits. I found the active methodologies in that useful for my languages. I translated a few like having a certain amount of money and they have to decide what to buy to build a village kind of thing interesting for my Irish class.

You need credits from an undergraduate degree. Unless things have changed in the last 3-4 years, the modules you take at masters level don't count. Tell her to be very careful of what she picks before starting. I know that HDip in Spanish linked to above is ok.

I hear ya. She actually did 1 year of a French and Spanish undergraduate degree in Trinity before changing to history, I was hoping that maybe she might have earned 30 points in that year that she could add to the 40 spanish points earned from the other degree.

Do you think there would be a case there?

dory wrote: »
    No, you won't be qualified if you do the methodology course. AFAIK it's a sociology degree that qualifies you for CSPE. No one in my school is qualified for CSPE and a lot of us teach it. But you might as well do it as you have to do something to make up the credits. I found the active methodologies in that useful for my languages. I translated a few like having a certain amount of money and they have to decide what to buy to build a village kind of thing interesting for my Irish class. .

Thanks for that Dory. I appreciate it. Yeah if CSPE is not going to qualify me, then I'm best choosing the likes of English as my other methodology as it can tie in with language study in some ways. Also studying literature is something I have done and it is a requirement for teaching in the UK should it be difficult to obtain work. At least I have the info when I wish to take the plunge and follow that dream :)

Thanks for that Dory. I appreciate it. Yeah if CSPE is not going to qualify me, then I'm best choosing the likes of English as my other methodology as it can tie in with language study in some ways. Also studying literature is something I have done and it is a requirement for teaching in the UK should it be difficult to obtain work. At least I have the info when I wish to take the plunge and follow that dream :)

You can't choose what methodologies you do, it is determined by the Teaching Council's list of recognised degree programmes. You can only register for the subjects they specify on that list otherwise further study is required.

I hear ya. She actually did 1 year of a French and Spanish undergraduate degree in Trinity before changing to history, I was hoping that maybe she might have earned 30 points in that year that she could add to the 40 spanish points earned from the other degree.

Do you think there would be a case there?

A teacher has to have 54 ECTS (I think) and pass all the requirements listed for their subject e.g. literature studies etc. and from 2017, teachers have to have at least 10 first year credits - so your friend would qualify for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrjones456

Hi All

I am going to be applying for the PME for next year.

I've been asking around and searching online but can't understand 100% what i need to do to apply.

Firstyly primary degree is not on the Teaching Council's recognised list of degrees, I have spoken to the Teaching Council and the Education Department in college and was informed that I would need to fill out a Subject declaration form detailing the various modules and their content which would be relevant to each subject I wish to teach.

I will be able to teach Business, but I'm less sure on my second subject of either Economics or Accounting.

I think I have enough credits in Accounting but I was hoping through filling up this form I was told about, it'd make it clear that I do, or highlight any shortcomings.

Is this available online or is it part of the application process for the PME courses?

I've been told and from reading this thread that Business Accounting/Economics aren't the best subjects to have but would like to at least find out where I stand in terms of my suitability to qualify for teaching these subjects should I get accepted on to a PME Programme.

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

mrjones456 wrote: »
    Hi All

I am going to be applying for the PME for next year.

I've been asking around and searching online but can't understand 100% what i need to do to apply.

Firstyly primary degree is not on the Teaching Council's recognised list of degrees, I have spoken to the Teaching Council and the Education Department in college and was informed that I would need to fill out a Subject declaration form detailing the various modules and their content which would be relevant to each subject I wish to teach.

I will be able to teach Business, but I'm less sure on my second subject of either Economics or Accounting.

I think I have enough credits in Accounting but I was hoping through filling up this form I was told about, it'd make it clear that I do, or highlight any shortcomings.

Is this available online or is it part of the application process for the PME courses?

I've been told and from reading this thread that Business Accounting/Economics aren't the best subjects to have but would like to at least find out where I stand in terms of my suitability to qualify for teaching these subjects should I get accepted on to a PME Programme.

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Filling in that form will cost you €200 and a mountain of paper work - transcripts, syllabi, parchements etc. But it is something you will have to do to get registered otherwise you don't get paid. When they get back to you, they will tell you where your shortfalls lie and you will have to rectify these prior to application for the PME. You are applying to the Teaching Council to do this for you.

Yes you will find it increasingly difficult to get work as a business teacher. Also be aware that there is a 10% quota for entry onto the PME. I would seriously consider going into teaching with these subjects. Best of luck anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mrjones456

Filling in that form will cost you €200 and a mountain of paper work - transcripts, syllabi, parchements etc. But it is something you will have to do to get registered otherwise you don't get paid. When they get back to you, they will tell you where your shortfalls lie and you will have to rectify these prior to application for the PME. You are applying to the Teaching Council to do this for you.

Yes you will find it increasingly difficult to get work as a business teacher. Also be aware that there is a 10% quota for entry onto the PME. I would seriously consider going into teaching with these subjects. Best of luck anyway.
    Thanks for the info, what is the name of the form?

The Education Department and Teaching Council told me that the degree assessment form (if this is the one with €200 fee you are referring to)was no longer part of the process (this was news to me) ,
    and this subject declaration is now needed-but I cannot find it online or get access to it. Anyone know where it is? or am I calling it the wrong name?

Yes the potential job prospects (or lack off) issue is a serious consideration, but I would like to find out for definite what I would be able to teach. Have been passed from A to B for the past fortnight trying to figure out what I need to do.

Advertisement