Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Perthshire

Hi,

I'm looking into the PME in NUIG but can not see their offered subject methodologies anywhere. Does anyone know what they offer?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 K.L.

Does anyone know when it is that Mary I send out le√terms for interviews for their masters in primary teaching??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Spoonsss

Hi does anyone who has done the interview for primary teaching- Marino/maynooth know when we hear back? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dannymdw

Hi.

Marino interview results just came out it seems... What are the chances that someone placed on the waiting list may actually get called for a place? They passed both Irish and english parts but "due to high volumes of eligable applicants" they weren't offered a place.

Any info welcome, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

dannymdw wrote: »
    Hi.

Marino interview results just came out it seems... What are the chances that someone placed on the waiting list may actually get called for a place? They passed both Irish and english parts but "due to high volumes of eligable applicants" they weren't offered a place.

I'm in the same boat. Does anyone have an idea of what my chances would be in the waiting list?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 K.L.

anyone have any ideas when the Mary I offers are out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bakergirl91

Hi All. I am applying for the PME through Hibernia. My interview is on Monday and i am beginning to panic about the subject based questions. My subjects are chemistry and biology, and i studied food science in college.

My biggest concern is the reflective task at the beginning of the interview. What level of detail do they go in to ? Is it theory based or could they ask me to calculate equations etc.?

Any input on this would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 monstermc

Hi 👋 just wondering how your interview went? I've mine tomorrow and I'm biology and ag science. Am pretty worried about the subject knowledge part. How was it? Think I'm ok for motivations to be a teacher etc. Just am quite rusty on my subjects 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 3 monstermc

Hi I've just been accepted into the September 2017 post primary teaching course at Hibernia. I'm trying to figure out childcare etc. Has anyone done the course? Would love to know how much actual time is required each day. They say 2 - 4 live lectures and 15 hours of recorded lectures per Wk. What days are these on usually and there is obviously more time for studying and assignments? Any advice greatly appreciated
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Perthshire

Hi - I am looking into the PME in NUIG and I had a few questions for anybody who might have experience.

1. Are School Placement in Year 1 and 2 blocks of placement with no lecture attendance?

2. When one isn't on placement, how many hours per week would one be attending lectures and would they typically be spread throughout a whole week or would you have a day off?

I am in a position where I work in a school and I'm trying to ascertain how much I could fit around my job.

Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im thinking about going into teaching, I have a fine art degree so would be looking to become a secondary school art teacher. Im hearing that jobs are few in secondary teaching and wondering if it would be wise to invest in a PME? The cost of course isnt worth it for me unless I can find employment.
    Any advice welcome.
    Thanks

Im thinking about going into teaching, I have a fine art degree so would be looking to become a secondary school art teacher. Im hearing that jobs are few in secondary teaching and wondering if it would be wise to invest in a PME? The cost of course isnt worth it for me unless I can find employment.
    Any advice welcome.
    Thanks

Employment depends on your location - can you move around the country for a few years? You might be lucky around the Dublin/Meath/Cork etc. areas.

Job prospects for art teachers wouldn't be great but no subject is in demand (well unless Irish or the location of the school) but 'most' art teachers are female so there is a possibility of maternity leaves.

Before embarking on the PME - make sure that your degree is deemed eligible with the Teaching Council and if you have never experienced the classroom other than your own days - see if you can shadow a teacher for a day or two and see if you like it could handle it. Teaching isn't an easy career and it demands more than a love of your subject. Best of luck with your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I will be starting school placement in a number of weeks for the PME. Earlier I met with a cooperating teacher who gave me the schools role number so as that I can order teacher versions of textbooks for free. Is it as simple as ringing the publisher, quoting this number and choosing my books? (2-3 items).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Noveight wrote: »
    I will be starting school placement in a number of weeks for the PME. Earlier I met with a cooperating teacher who gave me the schools role number so as that I can order teacher versions of textbooks for free. Is it as simple as ringing the publisher, quoting this number and choosing my books? (2-3 items).

Yes, look for your local area rep. I've found they take ages to get back to you.
    Don't tell em your a student teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Cmacc4

Hi all,
    I'm about to start the PME first year school placement tomorrow morning and I was quite excited about it until recently.My subjects are business and accounting but since I've been accepted onto the course,numerous people have told me "I'm wasting my time and education undertaking this course because there's little or no jobs in teaching full stop,never mind in my subjects."
    I'm quite nervous that this could be a huge issue for me down the line should I see out the two years,just wondering if others have any opinions on this or how the outlook may be for my subjects down the line?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if its something you like and want, go for it! you will love it, not that bad of subjects. im history and geography, i dont have many hours but it suits me as im farming as well. depends on your situation. i love the teaching to be honest, it usually puts me in great form after i do my days work in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭chases0102

Anyone here enrolled in the CSL PostGrad Diploma course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Hi all - I want to apply for the primary teaching masters - probably at DCU as it is the closest college to me. I'm due my first baby this September, so she will be around one next September when/if I begin the masters. Would love to know what the hours are like on this course as if I have to pay for full-time childcare it probably won't be worth it for me. And so my other option would be Hibernia as I could do it in the evenings. Would I be able to hold down a part time job and do Hibernia and be a mammy? Is this too much to take on? I love study and don't find it difficult - have gotten firsts in both my degree and a post grad I finished recently without killing myself so am thinking I might be ok? Any advice welcome - thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Would a ba hons from NUIG with major in soc and politics and philosophy enable me to gain entry into masters in education and would I be able to get a teaching job after? Is there any other top up course or anything I could do to strengthen my qualifications to secure a teaching position after?

• Advertisement

Newport81 wrote: »
    Would a ba hons from NUIG with major in soc and politics and philosophy enable me to gain entry into masters in education and would I be able to get a teaching job after? Is there any other top up course or anything I could do to strengthen my qualifications to secure a teaching position after?

I think it would be madness - you would only be registered for CSPE - which is being wound down as a subject. There were talks of bringing in politics course for Leaving Certificate - not sure were it is at the moment - can't see a lot of schools offering it.

You would need two good subjects to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Have you thought about primary?

never_mind wrote: »
    Have you thought about primary?

I have but would need to go back and do English Irish and maths to gain entry unfortunately

I have but would need to go back and do English Irish and maths to gain entry unfortunately

English, Irish, and maths? Did you not sit any of them?

English, Irish, and maths? Did you not sit any of them?
    Scrapped a pass in them nearly 20 years ago :(

Scrapped a pass in them nearly 20 years ago :(

Christ... would you repeat? This is the current entry reqs for primary:

Irish - Higher C3
    Maths - Grade D3 in ordinary
    English - Grade C3 in ordinary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Christ... would you repeat? This is the current entry reqs for primary:

Irish - Higher C3
    Maths - Grade D3 in ordinary
    English - Grade C3 in ordinary

The leaving cert is not even graded in As Bs and Cs anymore so this cannot be the current reqs. It is a completely different scoring system - and it means that those who got a d1 in Irish can now qualify for Primary teaching.

hcass wrote: »
    The leaving cert is not even graded in As Bs and Cs anymore so this cannot be the current reqs. It is a completely different scoring system - and it means that those who got a d1 in Irish can now qualify for Primary teaching.

You're right but the person posting would have come through the old grading system.

The D1 situation affects new entrants to the PME and this has already been raised from H5 to H4 which is closer to the C3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

dannymdw wrote: »
    Hi.

It would depend on any students dropping out of the course early on and then it would depend on where you are on the waiting list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You're right but the person posting would have come through the old grading system.

The D1 situation affects new entrants to the PME and this has already been raised from H5 to H4 which is closer to the C3.

It'd be higher that a C3. You now need the equivalent of a C2 (60%+) to gain entry. I think it's not coming in for another year or two though. I've given a lot of grinds to people who just about got the C3 and were lost then in college. At least this means those getting in will have some grasp of the language.

Advertisement