Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another new dog.

Options
  • 08-09-2010 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

My 4th - sadly an elderly neighbour who adored this dog died three weeks ago. He kept to himself and I did not know him personally other than seeing him with his dog.

I always was afraid that if anything should happen this man this poor dog could be left out in the cold. Of course its always a thought you dismiss again assuming some relative would take the dog. He lived alone.

I only discovered the man had died on Monday after not seeing the dog or his owner about for a while. To my horror I also discovered his dog was left wandering around the place and used to come back to his owners house now and again.

I alerted people to call me if they saw him and they found him this morning. Delighted he is safe at last. :)

Gardai and dog wardens notified of course and efforts being made to contact nearest relatives but it seems this poor man was estranged from his family so it seems they basically don't want to know.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Thats so sad :((( thank god the dog is safe xx fair play to ye xx.So will you be keeping the dog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Well done. A lot of people would never consider taking the poor dog in. Might it be suitable for rehoming? Perhaps to another older person who might want company?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Thats so sad that he has no one to have look after his dog:(,,will you be keeping him for the time being,,i'd hate to think of the poor dog going to a shelter,,,any pics ??..Fairplay to you if you are holding on to him,,its bound to be confusing for him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I will keep the dog permanently if no relative claims him - not likely now I suppose considering he was left wandering for three weeks.

Id rather not post details of the dog or pics until later in case we get some false claimers. Suffice it to say this little dog is a real charmer and character - but I knew that already from seeing him as I drove by his house every day.

Trip to the vet this evening with him to see if he is OK and get him vaccinated.

Needless to say the other dogs are none too pleased at the new arrival but I am sure they will be all happy families again in no time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

Ah fair play to you - I can only imagine what the poor doggie was going through "where is my owner and why wont he let me in" :(

When my dad died his dog was so upset, she had to go into his room every morning to check his bed to see was he there and she would sit out the front looking up the road to see was he coming home. This continued everyday for the next 3 years until she died herself. They definatly dont forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Its nice to know there are people like you around to look out for animals like this. Poor dog, hope he settles in well with your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Fair play to you for doing that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Alfasudcrazy - you sound like a genuinely wonderful person. I just really really wish there were more people like you in this world. That is one lucky little dog and I hope he and his new family bond very soon. Big hug to you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Ahh fair play to you ,, i hope the poor mite settles in with you,,your doing a great thing...

Advertisement