Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i7 build for work. Looking for your blessing!

Options
  • 08-09-2010 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi Boards.ie

I built a computer for myself earlier in the year. It worked out so well that I have been asked to make one for work. This i7 build is supposed to act as the terminal for a piece of scientific equipment so it needs to be reliable, quiet, lots of storage, several PCI slots and power to grind huge datasets.
    CPU Intel Core i7 950 / 3.06 GHz - LGA1366 Socket - L3 8 MB - OEM 295.24
    MOBO ASUS P7P55D-E LX - motherboard - ATX - iP55 124.63
    2xPCI PSU PSU/VX Series 550 Watt ATX ,PS/2 Power Supply -UK Version 85.91
    RAM DDR3 1600MHz 6GB kit of 3x240 pin DIMMs 142.78
    COOLING Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 High-performance CPU Cooler 75.02
    HDD CAVIAR GP 1TB 64MB SATA X2 118.56
    CASE ANTEC THREE HUNDRED EU TOWER CASE IN 56.87
    DVD LG DVDRW 22X INT SATA Securdisc BLK BARE 20.57
    MONITOR BENQ 22IN (21.5IN) WIDE LCD G2220HD 5MS 1920X1080 142.78

TOTAL 1062.36
    Basically I just need someone to check my working, make any small suggestions. I am purchasing through Elara because they are local and therefore convenient, but alternative ideas are always appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Just no.

Why the high performance cooler when all you'll need is the stock one?

You basically think that a version of your gaming machine at home would be 'cool' for what you need in work - its not.

If you need something reliable, and to constantly grind huge datasets, you should be looking at Xeon's or Opterons. And nothing else.

You need 'server' type equipment if its going to be running constantly, and crunching huge data sets.

It would be helpful however if you could provide more information on what it is the computer needs to do.

An idea of what it will be crunching is needed to A - see what OS you'll need, B - RAM / CPU requirements (can this be done through CUDA for instance?).

Either way, a mainstream gaming computer is really not suitable for what I believe you need this machine for in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mesoscopic

Aaah ok. lets see, the reliability points are interesting. Because the computer that we are replacing is just an old desktop. So my main aim has been to get a new desktop and add as much grunt as I could.

The equipment is a nanoindenter. It uses proprietary software built for windows and for our measurements we use enormous datasets. This is more than the control software is designed for so it chugs and chugs dealing with it. Then generally the data manipulation is fitting in Origin or hack Matlab routines to do what origin cannot... on datasets with 100k+ datapoints.

Oh yeah and water cooling because I thought it was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

950's have got some serious bad press on overclocking, i would go for a 930 instead if it will be overclocked( maybe it wont in which case the 950 is fine )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Mesoscopic wrote: »
    Aaah ok. lets see, the reliability points are interesting. Because the computer that we are replacing is just an old desktop. So my main aim has been to get a new desktop and add as much grunt as I could.

The equipment is a nanoindenter. It uses proprietary software built for windows and for our measurements we use enormous datasets. This is more than the control software is designed for so it chugs and chugs dealing with it. Then generally the data manipulation is fitting in Origin or hack Matlab routines to do what origin cannot... on datasets with 100k+ datapoints.

Oh yeah and water cooling because I thought it was cool.

Well if you need something that will be on for long periods (or continuously), reliable, lots of crunching power - I'd urge you to go for Opteron/Xeon.

The machine could last for years and years of continuous use. Also, while a huge power supply is not necessary, a server PSU with high reliability and efficiency is paramount.

You're probably going overboard with 6GiB ram, 4GiB would most likely be plenty, and it will be ECC with the Opteron/Xeon mainboard, so less chance of ram errors occuring.

Second that to the fact that for any more than 4GiB you will need a 64bit OS - is your software compatible?

I would not overclock, and I would use the stock heatsinks with them. (as the socket types are not the same as the desktop counterparts, 3rd party cooling is difficult to come by anyway, and the stock ones are more than capable).

Advertisement