Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To be or not to be relegated?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

So I finished 5th in Div IV.13, not to shabby considering I wasn't meant to be in Div IV at all this year but for that bot flush last season. Now part of me wants to stay up, but theres a small niggling part of me that thinks there may be some benefit in dropping down a division for a year.

Contentment

I'm firmly on Grim contentment due to the fact I fired all my staff for the last home league game, for financial reasons, a drop down would help raise contentment which would in turn boost attendance at home games, sticking with this division would see me with a few more tough matches with the cup games for the first few weeks, the only serious boost to help out my contentment.

Financial

I'm currently standing at -$196,081, with a lvl 1 FA, and I currently lose 50,000 for each away fixture, and make around about 5,000 to 10,000 for the home games, this is not sustainable and I really dont want to have to start looking at selling players, though I want to stay somewhat committed to providing good training facilities in the long run.

A drop down would lower my league Sponsorship to what ever the Div 4 limit would be (90,000?) but I'd also gain an new minor sponsor, so I'd only be losing 10K a week there, but with the renewed attendances, Cup run and everything I could look to get my finances on track alittle.

Am I stupid/silly to be considering relegation, for a free ride for the next 16 weeks, or should I stick with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

First of all I assume you meant Div III and not Div IV!!

Looking at the league, you were only a few BPs off playoff spots! Not exactly a huge gulf in class on the pitch.

If I were you, I'd be more inclined to carry out a financial assesment and try and stay in Div III. Thinking of the IGT your youngsters will get! how much are you spending on YA and things like Coaches? maybe cut back on that until you get your finances stabilised? What size is you stadium?

I was in a similar (maybe with a stronger squad though) situation to you, in Div IV not expecting to get up to Div III for a season or 2 but then the BOT flush struck. Luckily, I am in a slightly easier league though. Meant my contentment stayed quite high. But I still think, it is so much better for my club overall to be in Div 3.

The other thing worth considering is that if you do get relegated then cruise repromotion your are likely to get put into a higher up Div 3 league which will make it significantly harder to get into Div 2 going forward. As opposed to staying up in 3.13 where you could reasonably be attempting for promotion to Div 2 within a couple of seasons once you get stabilised.

The upside of Div IV would be a couple of BOT games where you could work on the Scouting Tool though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Stay in whatever division you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Man up, stay in division 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Stick with it dude. You were really close this season, and did really well considering you came from Div V!!! Remember at the start of the season, you thought you'd be Auto-Demoted, but yet you have done really well.

If i was you, i'd stick it out. What are your major expenses anyway. For away games i'm only loosing 3,000. Which'll be a profit next season with the new minor sponsor. Is there anything you can cut financially?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

If the figures you mention include running a YA, then you can survive in Div 3. I would drop the YA spending (and sell the facility) today.

That change plus cup money will see you in much better shape by week 6.

At that stage, I'd say sell two or three of your weaker players (should save you ~10k per week) - maintaining a squad of more than 25 real players isn't worth it once you're down to two games a week.

If you make these cuts, you should be in a position to buy a 17yo prospect for long term training when the market hits bottom in week 10-12 next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

Cheers fellas...

I really just needed someone to slap sense into me...

The financial side of this game is slowly creeping up on me, I started this season out with an aim to improve my facilities, mainly my youth set up with the intent to have a player in a future world cup(S12?). So selling any of that is contradictory(?) to what I set out to do, but I may have come up with a slight compromise...

I have a lvl 2 facility with a maintainence of 12,000 p/w, I've sold that and got back 30,000 and now have a maintenance of 6,000. Firing staff would penalise me too much as I up'd all the 3 staff member over the course of the year and their still under contract.

So I'm due 69,000 from the league payout, including junior league payout this week so I really should be sorted come the start of the season and if I can start off well for contentment/attendance and keep my squad trimmed I should be reasonably okay,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Stay up young buck, sure I was quite happy with my 5th place finish in Div III. Surviving the auto-demote your first time out is a great start, now you have to solidify that position and threathen the playoffs at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

No matter how bad you think you have it, just imagine this scenario - You just got releagted from Div II to Div III - The team to replace you directly is your missus' team........ Imagine that scenario:(:(

Phonehead wrote: »
    No matter how bad you think you have it, just imagine this scenario - You just got releagted from Div II to Div III - The team to replace you directly is your missus' team........ Imagine that scenario:(:(

Is that Mauling Bear? She gave me a sound thrashing during the cup so I say fairplay to her :)

So, what size do you want your new dress in? :pac:

That's the team, I just wish she played farmville or the sims like other chicks!! There is no place in this game for Women managers:mad::mad:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

There is no place in this game for Women managers:mad::mad:;)

There is and apparently it is in a higher division than you :p

mar-z wrote: »

:mad::mad:Sooooooooooooooooo looking forward to our Boards Cup games now:p:p

mar-z wrote: »

Wayooooooh!

*Adds Fewi to hitlist*

*Adds Fewi to hitlist*

Just cause your girlfriend was able to beat me, doesn't me you will... infact I'm feeling quite confident. :)

Advertisement