Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing an abstract for conference

Options
  • 08-09-2010 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi everyone,
    Would anyone have some advice or tips on how to write a successful abstract?
    I am writing one at the moment for the first time and am anxious to have my paper accepted. :eek:
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Go online and find information on last years (assuming its annual) conference, there should be along with the timetable, copies of the abstracts that the speakers submitted. You can use those as templates for your own.
    It depends on your discipline I mean, science abstracts will be different to humanities...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

petalkozie wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Would anyone have some advice or tips on how to write a successful abstract?
    I am writing one at the moment for the first time and am anxious to have my paper accepted. :eek:
    Thanks

What is your area? Whatever your discipline, there should be some published conference proceedings in your library - take a look at the abstracts for the individual contributions (if included) to get a sense of what is involved.

Best advice I got was to keep it short, the temptation is always to throw in every strand of your research - or to overthink and assume that every connection and step in your reasoning needs to be laid out - it doesn't. Treat it as an advert for your work, nice and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 petalkozie

thanks to you both,
    i am doing a Ph.D. in Old Irish. So the conference is on Celtic Studies. It is only in its third year and it is proving difficult to find previous abstracts.
    Will keep it short and keep fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Usually the applicants are given a maximum word count for a proposal, normally between 200 and 250 words. Check the email again to see if this applies to you.

As the others said, keep it brief and don't go into too much detail.

Obviously you'll need to say what your paper will discuss and how it ties in with the theme of the conference.

It would also be a good idea to contact your supervisor(s) and ask them to have a read through your proposal before you submit it.

Advertisement