Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How secure is gmail?

• 08-09-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

For, say, storing passwords and whatnot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

And whatnot??

Whatnot being...?

Such a vague question.
    Do you mean how secure is your content stored on their servers?
    Do you mean how secure is the password you use to access your email?

It's like saying, how strong is rope, swinging and whatnot.
    Not being smart but give some more information

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    And whatnot??

Whatnot being...?

Such a vague question.
    Do you mean how secure is your content stored on their servers?
    Do you mean how secure is the password you use to access your email?

Well, I meant for storing passwords and other classified or confidential information in drafts. Is gmail secure enough from hacking to store bank details, website passwords, etc.

No one could guess my password - it's a long string of random words and letters.

Well if you can, its highly advisable not to store ANY kinda information like that bank login passwords etc in your personal email.

You said you password is a long string which is good.
    But you should turn off their "Security Question" for when you forget your password. So people have this "what is your dob" - anyone who knows you could get in.
    You can set gmail up that if you do forget your password it verifies you by another email address. Make sure that is as secure.

Can I ask why you want this, do you want to get this information anywhere?
    Say you're away and you want to login to get bank details etc? That the reason?

You could read gmails privacy policy, only the other day they have made it much shorter and easier to read,
    But as far as hacking, once you have disabled security questions and have a very large password you shouldnt need to worry...

In saying that. I personally don't keep any info in my gmail - you could use a usb stick with truecrypt on it (free encryption) and also have a different password for every email account/webiste you use.
    I have the same long string in my passwords, but have say a B in there somewhere for my Boards account, or a G for my gmail.
    Be it a small, or cap at the start or end of the password is up to you.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Well, I meant for storing passwords and other classified or confidential information in drafts. Is gmail secure enough from hacking to store bank details, website passwords, etc.

No one could guess my password - it's a long string of random words and letters.

The real question is how secure is the machine that is accessing gmail and how secure is the person with the password? Most "gmail hacks" are guessing the password question or a key logger on a host machine.

The real question is how secure is the machine that is accessing gmail and how secure is the person with the password? Most "gmail hacks" are guessing the password question or a key logger on a host machine.

Exactly & don't ever use those "remember me" store your password type things.
    Even to remember your username. If someone stole your laptop and they know your username - they've half the info already
    And don't ever use a dictionary word as your password.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

If you can type using all your fingers and use some names like ireland is bankrupt (irelandisbankrupt) but instead of typing it on the home keys move up a row and type it. It will produce a gobbdley gook password but only you will know how to remember and use it.
    M.J.M.C. I have the same long string in my passwords, but have say a B in there somewhere for my Boards account, or a G for my gmail.
    Be it a small, or cap at the start or end of the password is up to you.

Thats a good tip. At OP I would NEVER store any bank details on web mail or internet service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,270 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For, say, storing passwords and whatnot.
    That depends on your password, really, and where you login, and whether you use https

but google can access your email, in its unencrypted state. Normally it would do this under a federal subpoena, say, and in one case an ex-employee did it to be a general creep. So in short I wouldn't do anything questionable with the email account, no. But if you use the account to register at other websites, its important to keep it secure anyway, because if your email falls into someone elses hands they can use it to perform password resets on virtually every website you visit to gain control of your entire digital identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

About as secure as a communal noticeboard in the local community center/Tesco.

Advertisement